Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: The Big Finish (Top 3!)  (Read 24783 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: A(nother!) prog-heavy update
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »
I like SG and like this album too. No arguments there.

AFTK was number 3 for me too. A classic.

I'm no PF fan so can't comment.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
I've been meaning to check out that Shadow Gallery album. I've only heard Digital Ghosts.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2013, 02:30:31 PM »
Paradise Lost is the worst SyX album.  Yes, I would rather listen to their self-titled.  Once again, not-elite.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »
Paradise Lost is the worst SyX album.  Yes, I would rather listen to their self-titled.  Once again, not-elite.

Thanks for your contribution :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »
Meddle!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2013, 11:52:05 PM »
Tyranny's great!  :metal

Meddle and AFTK and both excellent albums, too.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2013, 07:08:21 AM »
Meddle fuck yea, what a great album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2013, 07:27:18 AM »
Okay, where the hell have I been this entire week? I'll try to briefly comment on some of your choices:

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - Terrific album...
Ride the Lightning - A classic.  :metal
Paradise Lost - I don't enjoy their metal oriented stuff as much as their older work, but the title track is beautiful.
The Light - Just brilliant...
A Farewell to Kings - Never really went crazy about it, even Xanadu is kinda OK. I do love the last two songs, though.
Meddle - Again, never got the love for this album. Yes, it has Echoes, and One of these days is a pretty awesome opener, but the middle brings it down for a couple of points, and it would probably end up at the bottom if I ranked Pink Floyd albums.

I'll be following this.  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »
A Farewell to Kings - Never really went crazy about it, even Xanadu is kinda OK. I do love the last two songs, though.

:youfail:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »
You're right, I'll upgrade it from kinda OK to pretty damn good, but still not great. I think that's more like it. Although I know you still won't be happy.  ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »
You're right, I'll upgrade it from kinda OK to pretty damn good, but still not great. I think that's more like it. Although I know you still won't be happy.  ;)

Considering it's a top 5 song of all time for me, you're right.   ;) 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:29 AM »
I haven't heard Tyranny, but I really enjoyed Room V.

Farewell to Kings is awesome, and Madrigal is underated.

I've only heard Dark Side of the Moon from Pink Floyd, so I can't say much about them.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »
Meddle and AFTK :metal

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2013, 02:41:56 AM »
Meddle <3.

Echoes is my favourite song ever. Good choices.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2013, 05:14:11 AM »

I'd put it a notch above Iconoclast, actually.   I don't think I'll buy their next one if it's more of Russell Allen gargling with sand and broken glass. 

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
What is it about Iconoclast that makes you prefer it to PL?

In my opinion none of those two are among the band's strongest material, but I think Paradise Lost beats the shit out of Iconoclast.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: Extreme prog and pianos
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the replies!
Next three :)

35. maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map (2001)

Last time I had maudlin's 'Bath' at #18 and this one is in a sense its sister album. Both albums were released at the same time and they carry each other's album art. Both albums have some sort of mythical status within the extreme (progressive) metal genre, although 'Bath' is usually rated a lot higher than 'Leaving Your Body Map', and both albums have the same type of music on them. 'Leaving Your Body Map' is a bit heavier at its heaviest than 'Bath', but overall, I agree with the sentiment that 'Bath' is better (obviously, since that one was on my first list and higher than this one). I own both albums on both LP and CD and I must say, they're both great albums to listen to, but you can get lost in the seemingly random stuff that gets thrown around your ears. Nevertheless, 'Leavng Your Body Map' is an excellent extreme metal album (if it can even really be called that, there's arguably stuff out there that's far heavier) and it contains some fantastic moments and songs. Yes, 'Bath' is better, but 'Leaving Your Body Map' really isn't too shabby either. It's a damn good album, no matter what.

Favourite song: Gleam in Ranks
Other songs worth checking out: Bizarre Flowers / A Violent Mist, Sleep is a Curse, The Curve That To An Angle Turn'd

34. Ørkenkjøtt - Ønskediktet (2012)

Now for something relatively new; one of the few albums from 2012 to make my list. I saw Ørkenkjøtt open for Leprous somewhere last October and they completely blew me away, despite the venue being more than half empty. Like Leprous, this band comes from Norway and they make their own unique style of extreme progressive metal. The music itself isn't as heavy as you might expect from such a genre tag, but it really does get heavy at times. All the lyrics are sung in Norwegian (except for the final track on the album, titled 'Redneck Randy', which is sung in English) and although I can't speak any Norwegian, the music really is that good and I don't really care what he's saying. You probably wouldn't understand half the singer says if it were in English anyway, because he growls quite a lot. The music on here ranges from smooth, soft passages with clean vocals, to frantic metal parts with growlies. The band was actually a lot heavier live than on this record and I think that's mainly because of the production. The album actually sounds like a 70's band doing death metal with the technology at the time, at some points, but that doesn't really detract from the overall product. If anything, it gives the band a pretty unique sound, at least one I had never heard. Overall, the album is pretty slow-paced, but that also doesn't make it anything like a chore to sit through. This is just another solid debut album from a band we will most likely hear more of, definitely as long as they'll still be touring with Leprous. Good stuff.

Favourite song: Skygger og Støv II
Other songs worth checking out: Skygger og Støv, Profeten, Fem Soler

33. Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen (1997)

Ben Folds is a crazy pianist who also sings and together with a bassist and a drummer (jokingly naming themselves 'five') he made this fantastic record (among others). The music on 'Whatever and Ever Amen' can be characterised as piano-driven rock, with pop and jazz influences here and there. The absense of any guitars whatsoever is especially notable in a relatively modern band, but Ben Folds fills everything up amazingly with his great piano playing, that ranges from smooth accompaniment to frantic soloing. They have a coupe of guest musician (cello, trumpet and the likes) here and there, but it seems as if the band deliberately wanted NOT to use any guitar and it makes for something very fresh and it also makes sure the three instrumentalists can really shine on their respective instruments. The whole thing is mixed in a great way, so that drums bass, piano and vocals are all very noticeable. This album was the soundtrack of my summer holiday with friends in 2012. We played this thing over and over in the car and there's a good reason why. It's easy to listen to, funny at places (especially the lyrics) and overall just very good. This stuff rocks!

Favourite song: One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
Other songs worth checking out: Song for the Dumped, Steven's Last Night in Town, Battle of Who Could Care Less

---

Thanks again for reading.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2013, 03:01:13 AM »
Ørkenkjøtt!!! Profeten has the best twist I've heard in years.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2013, 03:53:11 AM »
Yeah, the ending of Profeten is indeed fantastic!
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2013, 03:56:28 AM »
It's such a natural transition, like they're REALLY this seventies band who ran out of death metal fuel for a second so they improvised :laugh:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
Oooh, I've heard of Maudlin, and damn the art of the horse pianoey one looks awesome. I may have to check it out.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »
Oooh, I've heard of Maudlin, and damn the art of the horse pianoey one looks awesome. I may have to check it out.
It's up on their official Youtube channel so you can easily look it up :) great album really. Should have seen them with Leprous last year but they couldn't get into the country because they lacked some papers.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »
I tried getting into Maudlin but half their stuff was unbearable for me. Ben Fold Five I did listen to in one of my roulettes but it didn't catch my attention enough for me to dig into them.

That other one has a great cover art but from your description I'd probably not enjoy the music
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: Even more prog; will it ever end?
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
Last update received considerably less interest than previous updates. I suppose that's also because the albums there were less-known. Here's a couple of better known ones (I suppose). Next three!

32. Darkwater - Calling the Earth to Witness (2007)

Darkwater are a relatively new progressive metal band, hailing from Sweden and 'Calling the Earth to Witness' was their first album, released in 2007. Before going to ProgPower Europe 2010, I checked out some of the bands that would play there and Darkwater immediately grabbed my attention as one of the must-see-bands. And that paid off, the band was astonishingly good live, playing stuff from both this album and their second, 'Where Stories End', which was released in 2010. While the latter is a bit more listener friendly and the songwriting has improved quite a bit, I chose to include their debut on my list, because it was my first experience with the band and because, frankly, its actually pretty damn awesome. The individual tracks on 'Where Stories End' might be better, but on 'Calling the Earth to Witness' the band displays a vast array of sounds and styles, though its predominantly melodic progressive metal, but their displaying of melodies and themes in the songs really shows skill in both playing their instruments and in knowing how to write good music. Although I recommend both their albums to any progressive metal fan, I think it's better to start with this one, not only because I just like it better (subjectively, I have no real arguments whatsoever), but because it was the band's first as well. Fantastic debut album from a band that's unfortunately not better known.

Favourite song: Again
Other songs worth checking out: Shattered, All Eyes on Me, Tallest Tree

31. Spock's Beard - V (2000)

Another Spock's Beard. I kind-of feel that this write-up is pretty redundant before I even started typing it. Everybody who's read my top 30 Beard songs thread knows I love the band and the ranking of their albums is purely a subjective way of looking at them and thinking 'which one do I like better?'. Well, we already had 'The Light' at #39 and here is the next on my list. 'V' just shows how Spock's Beard progressed their amazing songwriting qualities (most notably Neal Morse's) and how well the band can pull off yet another progressive rock album. Neal Morse is one of my favourite people active in the progressive rock world today and it's works like 'V' that can easily demonstrate the reason why. This is just another very solid progressive rock record with no real noticeable flaws at all. And that's really all I have to say about this album right now, except that 'At the End of the Day' is a top 10 Beard song. It's fantastic, but so is this album.

Favourite song: At the End of the Day
Other songs worth checking out: Thoughts (Part II), The Great Nothing, Revelation

30. Mastodon - Blood Mountain (2006)

Ah, Mastodon. A band that can easily be misunderstood by its listeners, since the band is actually quite diverse in what they do. Some people prefer their older era, which could be classified as considerably heavier, 'sludgier' if you want, than their modern stuff, but some people prefer the newer stuff. I'm one of the latter group, but 'Blood Mountain' remains my favourite Mastodon album. Why? Because it contains some of the heaviness of their previous albums, but also shows a slight nod in the direction of 'Crack the Skye' (which would rank as my second favourite by the band) and 'The Hunter'. On 'Blood Mountain', the band shows a very distinctive style, one that I can imagine will not be appreciated by everybody. The drums are loud and fast, the riffs are weird and the vocals are very weird, ranging from clean, to growled, to distorted and heavily modified, to everything in between. And its that quirkiness that makes this album my favourite by the band. Though Mastodon show an impressive amount of skill in their technicality and song-writing, you really only start noticing that if you're paying attention to it. In that sense, the music is a very honest representation of what they do; they just do whatever they like without noticeable bragging about their stuff. But what's the music exactly? Wikipedia classifies it as either 'sludge metal' or 'experimental metal'. I think the latter is a more suitable label. The record is less sludgy than their previous albums and the band experiments heavily with different stuff, as said most notably with the vocals. Just a very interesting album overall, but one that's also very good and in my view, quite essential for recent developments in the genres of experimental or 'progressive' metal.

Favourite song: Siberian Divide
Other songs worth checking out: Sleeping Giant, Circle of Cysquatch, The Wolf is Loose

---

As always, thanks for reading.
Squ

Offline Mladen

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »
I love V, especially At the end of the day.  :tup Blood mountain is a mixed bag to me - some of the songs are tremendous, some are just solid, and there's a few that never stuck with me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »
Darkwater is awesome.  I tend to prefer Where Stories End, but both albums are excellent.
V - This is a great one, probably #4 or #5 in my SB preference list.  Also, second best album titled "V" (IMO).
Mastadon - heard a few things, not quite the kind of music that floats my boat.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »
At The End Of The Day is probably my favourite SB song :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »
Yay, Blood Mountain!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »
I'm not really into Mastadon much at all, but that Darkwater album is great and Spock's Beard's "V" is probably the best release of the "classic" lineup  :tup   That was my first Spock's Beard album and I'll never forget what it was like to hear the opening track, "At The End of The Day" for the first time

My Mind =

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »
Blood Mountain is amazing, though I slightly prefer the two newer albums.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2013, 08:53:20 AM »
Blood Mountain is amazing and was my favourite Mastodon album for quite a long time :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »
I have a hard time with Mastodon, I can't listen to a whole album of them in one sitting. The other 2 however are great choices. At the end of the day is easily the best song on that album and probably on the top 5 of Spock's.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 02:22:22 PM »
Elite: I bloody love V. That's the album that got me to take up bass, and was on my original drawing up of my top fifty. I love that album a lot.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
I love V, even All On A Sunday.

I like Blood Mountain, but Mastodon is one of those bands that I can only take in small doses. I don't really listen to them often, but I enjoy them when I do.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »
For some reason Mastadon just doesn't do it for me, but Baroness and Kylesa do.