Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: The Big Finish (Top 3!)  (Read 24785 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: A testament to music.
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »
Next update. 3 albums people will know!

44. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing..... (1996)

The only hip-hop album you'll find on both my lists and hence the best hip-hop album I have ever heard (or even wanted to finish listening to for that matter, since I'm not really a fan of the genre at all). For some reason certain people on DTF have recently(?) become obsessed with this album and it's the frequent mentioning of this album that made me go and listen to it in the first place. This is NOT what you'd expect from a hip-hop album at all. In fact, you could argue whether this actually IS a hip-hop album or not. It's mainly instrumental, save for some spoken word passages and the ENTIRE album is made from sampled stuff from other songs. DJ Shadow (real name Josh Davis) created the first album containing only samples with his debut album 'Entroducing.....' and that's mainly the reason that makes it interesting. He draws from an insane record collection (allegedly one of the largest personal record collections in the world, with over 60.000(!!) unique albums) and turns seemingly random bits from genres like jazz, classical and rock to create something completely new and different here. Of course, this could all go horribly wrong, but Davis succeeds in crafting an album that's both unique and very listenable, yet also very good. I would recommend this to anyone looking into something different, even if you're not really a fan of instrumental music or hip-hop.

Favourite song: Midnight in a Perfect World
Other songs worth checking out: Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain, Building Steam With a Grain of Salt, Stem/Long Stem / Transmission 2

43. Savatage - Gutter Ballet (1989)

About 5 years ago my mother played me the track 'Gutter Ballet' by Savatage and being the aspiring guitarist I was back then (and still am to some extent) I was overwhelmed by the guitar solo in this song and it struck me then that there is was so much music out there with killer guitar work that I had never heard and some of which I would never hear. Soon afterwards, I got myself a copy of the full album and played the shit out of it, trying to play along as well. Criss Oliva (the band's guitarist) quickly became an idol for me, but when I looked up information about him, I was distraught to learn that he had died. I was looking in awe at a picture of this talented young man with his guitar, realising I could never physically hear him play. Nevertheless, we still have Savatage's music to listen to and I believe this is their best work, perhaps because it was the first I was ever exposed to. I don't think I need to say how amazing the guitar work is on this record and the songwriting is awesome as well. Savatage's music can be categorised as 'progressive' or 'symphonic' metal, but I'm fairly sure a decent amount of forum regular will have heard this album anyway and can testify to its brilliance. The title-track remains my favourite, but the album contains many other gems, like the furious 'Hounds' and the very emotional 'When the Crowds are Gone'. A classic in progressive or symphonic metal and pretty much rightfully so.

Favourite song: Gutter Ballet
Other songs worth checking out: When the Crowds are Gone, Hounds, Summer's Rain

42. Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984)

Metallica's Ride the Lightning. This is where everything in my music experience started. This is the beginning, this is where I came from, this is where lots of stuff came from and its a classic in its own right. Metallica were the first metal band I listened to and Ride the Lightning was one of the first albums (and the first metal album) I ever bought. Although my opinions on Metallica have changed drastically - I don't find them (musically) interesting anymore and I rarely ever listen to them - Ride the Lightning has had so much of an impact on my musical world that I had to include it on this list. It's the only Metallica album I would listen to now and the first one I would grab. It had always been my favourite and it still is. I can probably still play along to every track on here (hell, I know I can, because I did it last month) and would probably always cite this album as being the starting point in my musical listening. That alone makes it worthy of a placement on this list. however low this might be. Ride the Lightning still is a killer album, a metal classic and I can not imagine not knowing it.

Favourite song: Creeping Death
Other songs worth checking out: Ride the Lightning, Trapped Under Ice, Fade to Black

---
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: The beginning (and two other albums)
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
Again, 2 out of 3 for me this time.  The DJ Shadow album is so killer, and I think Ride the Lightning may have aged better for me than MoP did.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »
Woohoo, RTL!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »
Don't know the first one.  Savatage is great, but for some reason I rarely go to it - kinda gets lost in the library.  Ride the Lightning is probably my second fav Metallica, but again... doesn't get a lot of airtime on my speakers/headphones.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »
My first Sava- album and probably still my favourite. I do wish it had a better singer for the more melodic Queen-like songs (ducks and hides) but it's still a great album.

Never been much of a Metallica fan, and RTL wouldn't get a nod from me.

And I won't listen to an album by anyone with DJ in their name on principle  :biggrin:

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 12:49:14 PM »
Elite, wanna some more beautiful hip-hop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQY9zrjPBjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrO9PTpuSSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8EUTdx7atM

Some of the things in youtube like "Lovely Vibes" arent albums, they are compilatios... Nujabes died in a car crash at 2010 :<
I love beautiful things.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
I think I missed your original list, but it looks like I dig a good 40% to 50% of those, so following this.
 :hat

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
Cool list, will follow.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 01:40:05 PM »
Ride the lightning  :metal
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
Three great albums. Midnight in a Perfect World might be my favourite hip-hop song. Gutter Ballet is amazing too, though I'd pick Poets and Madmen over it, mainly because I love how edgy Jon Oliva sounds on that album.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
Gutter Ballet is one of the greatest and underrated albums of all time.  :hefdaddy
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
Oh, yeah. In my write-up for Savatage I completely forgot to mention Jon Oliva; he will either make it or break it I suppose. I personally think it's something like a miracle that he still has a voice today (though his voice really is pretty shitty live nowadays) since he completely screams his throat out on everything he does. I think it works here, but I can't imagine that his singing style is painless.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: A prog-heavy update
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »
A prog heavy update for everybody here! :)
NEXT THREE

41. Symphony X - Paradise Lost (2007)

Here's an album I suppose many people on these forums will have heard, though it rarely shows up as a favourite Symphony X album. It used to be my favourite for a long time though and I included it as an honourable mention in the first incarnation of my top 50 list. This album has been played by me countless times, after an old friend of mine first directed me into the world of Symphony X. This was the first Symphony X album I ever heard, I think I heard it first in 2009, and I fell in love with everything about it. I was in a Dream Theater heavy phase back then and this band struck me as being a heavier alternative to Dream Theater's music, being very technical, fast and powerful, while still delivering an album's worth of awesome songs. Funnily, I always though the shorter tracks were the better ones on here, although the whole thing is pretty damn amazing from start to finish. My personal highlight would be the track 'Seven', for its extreme intensity and the magnificent chorus. Other highlights include the first proper track and the wonderful title track, a great ballad with some amazing vocal work. The guitars and vocals make the album for me, but its the fantastic progressive songwriting that puts everything together and makes it work. Although the band departed from their style on earlier albums and went into a ballsier, more in-your-face direction here, in my opinion it works great here and it makes this album a great listen. For sure a favourite among the progressive metal albums in my collection.

Favourite song: Seven
Other songs worth checking out: Paradise Lost, Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies), Eve of Seduction

40. Enochian Theory - Evolution: Creatio ex Nihilo (2009)

And here for something even more recent. Enochian Theory is a relatively new and pretty unique band, in the sense that they make modern progressive metal, but they only have three members. I have no idea how many people on these boards have heard (of) them, but I think they do have at least some kind of small following around these parts, we'll just see. I got into this band by accidentally stumbling upon the song 'The Fire Around the Lotus' on YouTube and liking that one a lot, I soon got the full album. And it delivered. The band's music could be categorised as atmospheric progressive metal, with some huge layers and walls of sound here and there. The lead singer has an amazingly large range and even growls here and there, but never drowns the music in it. The band employs a digital 'orchestra', called 'The Lost Orchestra', that gives the band an extra dimension. Of course, they could just hire a keyboard player instead, but the band went with programmed tracks, for whatever reason. The album really feels like a whole, as it goes through various mood changes, but never loses its pace. It actually gets gradually better towards the end, reaching its peak in 'The Fire Around the Lotus', a wonderful progressive mini-epic with a brilliant chorus. Other highlights include the three part song 'The Dimensionless Monologue' and the fantastic 'Waves of Ascension'. Fans of progressive metal should check this one out. It's fairly unique for its atmospheric qualities, yet remains pretty heavy and well thought out throughout.

Favourite song: The Fire Around the Lotus
Other songs worth checking out: Waves of Ascension, The Dimensionless Monologue, A Monument to the Death of an Idea

39. Spock's Beard - The Light (1995)

Everyone who has followed my recent activity would know that I have completely immersed myself in the music of Spock's Beard for the past year. This is actually the first of quite some Spock's Beard albums to come and the main reason for including it here lies in the title-track, a song that quickly became my favourite Spock's Beard song (read back through the Spock's Beard Top 30 I did recently to find out why) and a favourite song overall. This album contains only 4 tracks, 2 of which clock in over 10 minutes ('The Light' and 'Go The Way You Go') and one, 'The Water', clocks in at 22 minutes. Definitely a progressive rock record! All four tracks have become favourites in the Spock's Beard fanbase and it's not really difficult to see why; they're just so good! The album starts with the title track, of which I don't think I need to repeat my love for it. The second track, 'Go the Way You Go' is a bit more mellow, yet very proggy at the same time. 'The Water' then is to this day one of the band's longest songs, but it remains interesting throughout and contains one of the band's most spoken of sections (the infamous 'Fuck You'-section) and the album ends with the shortest song, a rocking tune called 'On The Edge', which paves the way for many Spock's Beard short songs to come later in their career. Overall, 'The Light' is a very solid record and one of my favourites from the Beard, not just because it contains my favourite, but because it's so very consistent throughout. A great debut album and a very good way to start of a remarkable career for one of today's best progressive rock bands out there.

Favourite song: The Light
Other songs worth checking out: The other three tracks

----

More to come soon, thanks for checking in :)
Squ

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
That SX album is probably the only one of theirs that I kind of like, I find them way too repetitive. I think you sent me a Enochian Theory song in my roulette but I didn't really like it. Maybe I should try again sometime. Spock's Beard is obviously great but I haven't listened to The Light yet.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »
Paradise Lost is really good.  I don't put it in the upper echelon of SymX, but it smokes.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
Symphony X is alright...not really a favorite of mine.

I've heard of Enochian Theory, but I've listened to them yet.

The Light is a classic and the title track is masterpiece.  :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 02:45:29 AM »
Hell yeah Paradise Lost! It's not my favourite SX album by any stretch, but it's amazing how brutal it is throughout. :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2013, 04:12:05 AM »
Go check out Enochian Theory, you people! It's good :)
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2013, 05:25:59 AM »
Okay, since everyone is just gonna drool over SyX and the Beard, I'll have to come out and say Enochian Theory is one of my fave modern prog bands.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2013, 05:36:02 AM »

I've got this album queued up in Grooveshark for a listen today.  PL is a good album, not deserving of the snuff many (looking at you Doc) give it.  It's also not deserving of TOO much praise (looking at you Nick).... somewhere in between.  The Light is another good SB album, but for me it gets lost in the awesomeness of their entire discography.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2013, 06:22:29 AM »
The light  :tup

I've given SX several chances and aside from a couple of songs I don't seem to be able to like them.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2013, 07:11:16 AM »
Listened to that DJ Shadow album after reading Volk's list. It really is a great album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2013, 08:15:27 AM »

I've got this album queued up in Grooveshark for a listen today.

Ah, tell me how you liked it! :)

Okay, since everyone is just gonna drool over SyX and the Beard, I'll have to come out and say Enochian Theory is one of my fave modern prog bands.

I knew you'd pop in for Enochian Theory :biggrin:
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »

I knew you'd pop in for Enochian Theory :biggrin:
I read every top 50 thread, just rarely post in them because I always feel like I have little more to add :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »
Paradise Lost is really good.  I don't put it in the upper echelon of SymX, but it smokes.
Yup.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »

I've got this album queued up in Grooveshark for a listen today.

Ah, tell me how you liked it! :)

It was ok.  Nothing wrong with it, but that ambient/atmospheric thing doesn't do a lot for me.  PT, Riverside, OSI etc... not something I go back to often (if at all).

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »
I tried Enochian Theory and I realized I had also tried them back when someone offered them in a roulette a few months ago.  Didn't grab me then or now.  Keep talking them up and I'll get around to trying them again.  Who knows, maybe it will stick that time.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »
Listened to that DJ Shadow album after reading Volk's list. It really is a great album.

Awesome! :tup

And yes - it is really that good.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »

Awesome! :tup

And yes - it is really that good.

:o I wouldn't have figured that to be your style of music, tbh, Deb.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
In regards to Enochian Theory, their first is very good indeed but I must have heard their latest album more times than any other 2012 album combined, and I had around 40 in more or less regular rotation.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: A(nother!) prog-heavy update
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
ANOTHER prog-heavy update, with some different stuff!
Next three :)

38. Shadow Gallery - Tyranny (1998)

On my first list I had the albums 'Legacy' and 'Carved in Stone' by Shadow Gallery at #2 and #31 respectively and by having them appear once more here, with their third album 'Tyranny' shows my love for this band. In a sense, I think this is their most cohesive album to date. It's part of a concept series of two albums (2005's 'Room V' is the other half) and it tells a fictitious story of a man who takes it up to himself to 'fight the system', after having worked for the US Government to create weapons of mass destruction. He meets a random woman on an online chatroom and together they try to overthrow the system. Something like that, the real story is more complicated than this, but I'm not bothered to type all of that out here. What matters is the music. I know Shadow gallery isn't exactly loved on these forums and I find that a real shame, because for me, they're one of the best progressive metal bands out there. The songs are incredible and very powerful and that's mainly because of the amazing capabilities of lead singer Mike Baker (RIP) and multi-instrumentalist Gary Wehrkamp (one of my all-time musical idols and heroes). The highlight for me is the song 'New World Order', which features D.C. Cooper of Royal Hunt on guest vocals for parts of the song. Other great songs include the album opener 'War For Sale', the awesome 'Roads of Thunder' and the melancholic 'Ghost of a Chance'. All in all, 'Tyranny' is a beautiful piece of work and an amazing album, a true gem for me in the progressive metal scene. It's a shame people don't like it more.

Favourite song: New World Order
Other songs worth checking out: Ghost of a Chance, War For Sale, Roads of Thunder

37. Rush - A Farewell to Kings (1977)

An album everybody here knows and one I shouldn't need to justify. This is my favourite Rush album and it contains my favourite Rush song (Xanadu). I feel on this album Rush had perfected their songwriting and they never surpassed it (though I must say I'm exactly similarly familiar with ALL of their other material). This is just great progressive rock from front to back, but especially the longer tracks and the title-track are noteworthy. I know, incredibly short write-up, but I don't have that much more to say about this one.

Favourite song: Xanadu
Other songs worth checking out: A Farewell to Kings, Cygnus X-1, Closer to the Heart

36. Pink Floyd - Meddle (1971)

I had two Pink Floyd albums on my previous list ('Animals' at #36 and 'Dark Side of the Moon' at #11), so this would be their third entry into my lists. Meddle is a great album, because it shows Pink Floyd still at the beginning stages of their career (that is, before they wrote their 'big 4' albums) and this album is remarkable for featuring Pink Floyd's second longest song to date, 'Echoes' ('Atom Heart Mother' is only a couple of seconds longer). Before Pink Floyd started writing songs in a more linear, album-like fashion, on 'Meddle' they experimented with various ways of instrumentation and different approaches to their main style. Stylistically, this album manages to be very different from other Pink Floyd albums, at least that's what I think, but I can't exactly place my finger on *what* makes that so. Of course, you could say the whole album is all about the closer 'Echoes', but the first three tracks, 'One of these Days', 'A Pillow of Winds' and 'Fearless' are great songs as well. Another not-so-good write-up here, but I'm typing this on the fly and I have a lot on my mind right now. Perhaps I'll revise it sometime. In the meantime, give this one a spin if you haven't yet; it's quality progressive rock right here.

Favourite song: Echoes
Other songs worth checking out: Fearless, One of These Days, A Pillow of Winds

---

Thanks for reading!
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2013, 12:04:10 PM »
Tyranny isn't bad, but I prefer Legacy and Digital Ghosts by a fair margin. Meddle, on the other hand, is very good. Echoes is amazing, but the other tracks like Fearless and One of These Days are all amazing as well.

... You probably all know opinion on Rush already.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »
Hell yeah, I love Shadow Gallery's music, although I've always found the production (especially the drums) to be a bit dull.  But the music is always great.   :tup

That's one of the better Rush albums, never really got into Pink Floyd.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
YES TYRANNY YES
And Room V also.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
Love SG... you're right, there isn't enough love for them around here.  As with many bands, I got in to their complete discog at once (just before Digital Ghosts), so picking a fave is difficult.

AFTK... My #3 of all time.

Meddle... its good, but it's probably 7 or 8 on my PF list alone.