Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: The Big Finish (Top 3!)  (Read 24776 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: two fantastic Swedish prog albums (#12 & 11)
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
As a result of this top 50, I have gone and got a Godspeed album, although it wasn't the one listed here (it was not in the shop). It is amazing.

Awesome! Which one did you get? :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »
Both of those albums are excellent!!

I became a Beardfish fan right around the time that Mammoth came out and I fell in love with them immediately. I definitely need to give it another listen soon as I don't think I've played it since The Void was released.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
I got Don't Bend, Ascend. I loved it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »
Remedy Lane :heart My favourite PoS album and probably Top 20 overall for me.

Did you have F#A#Infinity on your previous list? If not, then that's probably still bound to come. Otherwise, probably some Dev as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
I've got that PoS album. Didn't do anything at all for me. Saw them supporting DT and quite liked them but the album... I don't remember anything about it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
I've got that PoS album. Didn't do anything at all for me. Saw them supporting DT and quite liked them but the album... I don't remember anything about it.

Give it another try. It took 3 or 4 listens before it clicked for me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »
I dunno. Yeah, I'm totally in agreement with you, oh Ninja of the Shades, but I don't that that's something that Lowdz would particularly enjoy.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »

This.
It took me A LOT to finally get into PoS.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
2 perfect albums right there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »

I'm very reluctant to give music more than a couple tries to click.  There's so much awesome music that floor's me on first listen, I don't see the need to give multiple chances on the hopes it might finally click.  My check it out list is about 100 albums and 40 artists deep.  That's just on the stuff I haven't gotten to yet.  I'll give bands/albums a second chance, but rarely a third.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Thanks for digging this one up, it reminded me I should post post more. Here's me entering the top 10 with the next two:

10. Yes - Fragile (1971)

After I placed Yes's 'Close to the Edge' at #25 on my previous top 50 list I felt very bad about not having included 'Fragile'. In fact, I wanted to right that wrong ever since, but I had to wait until this second top 50 list would come around before I could do it. 'Fragile' was the first yes album I ever bought and I bought it based purely on the band's legacy as a progressive rock band. I saw both this album and 'Close to the Edge' mentioned very often, so those were the first two I got, but this one was first. I got CttE quite soon after this one, because I fell in love with Yes and most prominently Steve Howe's guitar work, which is pretty fantastic on this album. Everybody in the world who knows Yes knows this album, so I probably shouldn't even need to explain what it sounds like or how good it is. Although 'Close to the Edge' remains my favourite Yes album, this one is a great second place.

Favourite song: Heart of the Sunrise
Other songs worth checking out: Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, Mood For a Day

9. Neal Morse - ? (2005)

And here we have Neal Morse's best solo work. Not his best work, no, that's still to come, but his best solo work is captured right here on this album. By the cover you can't really see what it's about, but there some sort of hut with smoke coming from a fire and the cloud forms a question mark. We have an album-title! Great! This is the only album I have ever seen that has two tracks on it with the exact same name (both the first and the last track are called 'The Temple of the Living God'). This drives media payers on computers crazy and programs like last.fm can't handle that. If ever I saw something rebellious in music, this would be it! All kidding aside, I actually think that was a pretty cool thing to do. But on to the music; why is this one so high? Well, simply put, because this is Neal Morse firing everything he's got at us. He's on fuel and he knows what he's doing with it. '?' is probably the fastest, most hectic album Neal Morse has played on (please, this is all my opinion, correct me if you think I'm wrong) and I love it for that reason! Although this album can be a bit spiritual at times (I actually don't really know what's he's all on about, since I rarely actuvely listen to lyrics and try to make sense of them, but they contain biblical passages and they are definitely about God), I advise you to just listen through that if you're not interested in them. '?' is a fantastic album musically, and most likely lyrically too, and one that I think could one day become a classic in the progressive rock scene.

Favourite song: So hard, since I never listen to individual tracks from this one. Probably 'In the Fire'
Other songs worth checking out: The rest of the album

---

Thanks for reading.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Wow! No replies at all, that's a new one. Does no-one like those?
Squ

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Both of those are great choices. Fragile is one of the best prog records ever and "?" is surely underrated.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:42:00 AM by Nekov »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Fisi

To be honest, I've never really understood Fragile. I mean, I really love Yes, if I was to make a top 50 of my own, I would put many Yes albums on really high positions, yet I'm not sure if Fragile would even fit into the top 50. Every time when I listen to it, I'm like 'yeah, this is good, but when does the awesome part start?'. Roundabout, South Side of the Sky and Heart of the Sky are all really good tracks, no doubt about it, but in my opinion none of them is amongst the very best of Yes. Even more importantly, the album as a whole just doesn't flow very well. The funny thing here is that I actually do like the Wakeman solo Cans and Brahms which isn't really a fan favourite as far as I know.

? is the only Neal Morse solo album I own and it really is a masterpiece. It has really made me interested in buying more of his albums in the future. The only thing I don't like on the album are the background vocals in Outside Looking In, they just sound really awkward to me. Otherwise the album is pure gold.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Fragile is a beaut!  As for Neal Morse's solo stuff, I've listened to it all once... and loved it all.  However, the recurring Christianity theme is too much for me to handle.  I'm not offended or bothered by it - I just don't have an appetite for ANY theme that is repeated over and over and over... Rhapsody is another example.  I just never went back to it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Fragile is a fucking classic.

Offline Lowdz

Fragile is a beaut!  As for Neal Morse's solo stuff, I've listened to it all once... and loved it all.  However, the recurring Christianity theme is too much for me to handle.  I'm not offended or bothered by it - I just don't have an appetite for ANY theme that is repeated over and over and over... Rhapsody is another example.  I just never went back to it.

Dawn Of Veeeeektorrreeee  is the only Rhapsody album worth going back to.  :biggrin:

Not very familiar with ?, have heard it a couple of times. NM is usually quality.
Yes: they're ok, but Fragile isn't an album I''m familiar with either. I'm not a big prog fan and I find Anderson difficult to listen to.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I can identify with the thought that Fragile doesn't flow well.  I like many of the songs individually, but as an album I rarely feel the need to listen all the way through.

Regarding ?, it is really strong, but I rate it below One and Sola Scriptura.  I see quite a difference in the themes of those three albums, and the one for ? just hasn't grabbed me lyrically the way the other two have.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Dawn Of Veeeeektorrreeee  is the only Rhapsody album worth going back to.  :biggrin:

Not very familiar with ?, have heard it a couple of times. NM is usually quality.
Yes: they're ok, but Fragile isn't an album I''m familiar with either. I'm not a big prog fan and I find Anderson difficult to listen to.

:lol Agreed... it made my top 50.

Might give ? another shot.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Ooh, Fragile is a fun album. To me, it can be a little incoherent, but when it's rocking, that shit is rocking. I love that album.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
two (more) amazing bands/albums  :hefdaddy

Offline Mladen

That's one amazing Yes album.  :hefdaddy

Still need to check out some of Neal's solo stuff, it's high time...

Offline ColdFireYYZ

I love Fragile. I don't mind the solo pieces even though it makes the album kind of incoherent.

? is also great but I've kind of burned out on Neal Morse. I'm sure I'll get back into his solo material once TA4 comes out.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: my favourites from 2012 (#8 & #7)
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »
Next two, to get this going. Both from 2012 and my two favourite albums from that year.

8. Headspace - I Am Anonymous (2012)

This is fantastic progressive metal album by a progressive metal band featuring Damian Wilson on vocals. On keyboards we have Adam Wakeman and the rest of the band are some kick-ass musicians as well. I advise you to go to THIS THREAD if you want to see other people's reactions to this album, but my initial reaction was something along the lines of 'HOLY SHIT, THIS IS FUCKING FANTASTIC', hence the creation of said thread. When this band came to the Netherlands in October last year, along with Haken (another favourite of mine - see the previous top 50), I obviously HAD to see them, so I went to both shows. The band completely owned both nights, playing their whole album front to back. Although the majority of the album is progressive metal, in the purest sense of the word, the band actually utilises a variety of styles that all suit Wilson's voice very well. Highlight of the album is the longest track, 'Daddy Fucking Loves You', which is a masterpiece in modern progressive metal, as far as I'm concerned. Killer album, and almost my favourite of 2012.

Favourite song: Daddy Fucking Loves You
Other songs worth checking out: The Big Day, Fall of America, Stalled Armageddon

7. Beyond the Bridge - The Old man and The Spirit

I don't really need to introduce this album to DTF, do I? They got plenty of airtime last year, after releasing this fantastic album. Astounding progressive metal by a band with two lead singers, one male and one female. This duality makes this band sound really unique, especially combined with their experimental use of keyboards and guitars. The album tells the story of a man (the male vocalist) in his dying days, who is comforted by a spirit (the female vocalist) and a lot of stuff emerges from there. It's actually pretty complex and I haven't yet really figured it out myself, since I'm not too much of a lyrics guy, I might delve into it sometime. The important part here for me is that the music is written beautifully and the performances of every single instrument is top-notch. This album really touches perfection, it's fantastic. Just listen for yourself, if you haven't already.

Favourite song: Triumph of Irreality
Other songs worth checking out: The rest of the album, but probably The Difference is Human, All a Man Can Do, Doorway to Salvation

---

Thanks for reading.
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
I haven't heard either, but both are on my to-buy list. I've heard many good things about them.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »
I haven't heard either, but both are on my to-buy list. I've heard many good things about them.

move them to the top, they are both great
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
two (more) amazing bands/albums  :hefdaddy

aw shit, bru, i fucked up...i meant beardfish/POS.

that being said, fragile is also stellar.  :hat
havent heard much of neal's solo work.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2013, 02:13:48 AM »

move them to the top, they are both great

Yeah, you should try them asap.
Squ

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2013, 05:49:15 AM »
Anything with Damian Wilson is worthy of inclusion on a Top 50. His voice is one of my favorites.  BtB was hands down my AotY for 2012. One of those rare gems from an unlikely source.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »
I should REALLY check that BTB album out

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »
Good call. I should really just finish this, but I've been so busy and haven't got the write-ups for the top 6 yet. You know what? I'll try to do 3 tonight and 3 tomorrow or Monday and just finish this thing so other people can start. I've taken far too long already, sorry.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: update: #6-#4
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »
So, here's three more:

6. Mr. Bungle - California (1999)

This is probably the wackiest, weirdest and most diverging disc in both this top 50 and my previous one. And tell you what; this isn't even the band's most extreme! That honour goes to 'Disco Volante'. But where the latter falls short on keeping my interest throughout the whole work, despite being batshit crazy (it's probably the length of the record), 'California' has become a favourite of mine in not very much time. Mr. Bungle is a band that implemented so much random stuff into their music, that the only right word to describe them would become 'experimental', or even 'avant-garde' and yes, that's exactly what it is. No song in 'California' is the same, not even slightly in a similar style. Yet everything feels like it belongs together. Isn't that fantastic? I think so and although this album is pretty much indescribable (check out 'Ars Moriendi', my favourite track from the album, if you want to have a taste of what you can and can't expect), I think one word can sum it up; 'incredible'.

Favourite song: Ars Moriendi
Other songs worth checking out: Goodbye Sober Day, Pink Cigarette, Sweet Charity

5. Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)

This album has frequently been mentioned as being one of the best albums ever made and I can see exactly why that would be the case, because, simply put, this album really just is one of the best albums ever made. It's only such a shame for this particular disc that I think there's even better albums out there (or else it would logically be at #1), but that shouldn't really detract from its awesomeness. While I know quite some people that prefer Radiohead's latter output, like 'Kid A' or even 'Hail to the Thief', I could never understand why. And that's mainly because 'OK Computer' has everything you want from an alternative rock band on one disc. There's some cool guitar work, there's highly interesting song structures, there's odd sounds here and there and there's the wonderful voice of mister Thom Yorke. Well, since this is pretty much a classic already, even after only 16 years of existence, I don't feel the need to comment on this one much further. Go check it out if you haven't yet, you're missing out on amazing stuff.

Favourite song: Paranoid Android
Other songs worth checking out: No Surprises, Karma Police, Airbag

5. Spock's Beard - The Kindness of Strangers (1998)

Don't you guys hate those expanded editions where the artwork is made smaller with that highly annoying border around it? I sure as hell do and will never buy an album that has it, if I can also get the original somewhere. That said; I haven't found an original copy of 'The Kindness of Strangers' and, like with 'The Light', I'll probably have to resort to this hideous cover. Right. 'The Kindness of Strangers' is the best album Spock's Beard ever made and is almost the best thing Neal Morse has done. The music is fantastic, with every single song being awesome. Song lengths range from the 4-minute marks to the fantastic 'Flow', my second favourite Spock's Beard song ever (after The Light), which is over 15 minutes long. Musically this album is astonishingly good, with your trademark Spock's Beard rockers, as well as the quirkiness you'd expect from them. Fucking fantastic album, that's all.

Favourite song: Flow
Other songs worth checking out: Harm's Way, The Good Don't Last, June

---

Right, that was that. Whoever guesses the top 3 in order gets lots of cookies and will be featured in my personal text, instead of 'Inventory!'. Or whatever. Doubt you'll guess it anyway.
Thanks for reading though, if you did! :)
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
Mr. Bungle :heart

I've been meaning to pick up that SB album, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Radiohead I don't really know, so I can't comment on that.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2013, 05:52:03 PM »
I'd have said some Devin... Ocean Machine, maybe? No clue on the others... maybe some more Leprous.