Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: The Big Finish (Top 3!)  (Read 24781 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: three recent prog albums
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
Act III is very good, and SLS is a great album. It's not my favorite (that goes to ADHD) but I love it nonetheless.

I don't have Digital Ghosts, but the band played some of the songs live when I saw them. I liked them and I've been meaning to listen to it on Spotify.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2013, 02:58:30 AM »
I heard SLS for the first time last week and it's great :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2013, 03:14:43 AM »
SLS is awesome but not my favorite Riverside album. In fact,It's my 3rd fav.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2013, 07:57:13 AM »
Never really got into SG but the other 2 albums there are pretty cool
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »
I don't have Digital Ghosts, but the band played some of the songs live when I saw them. I liked them and I've been meaning to listen to it on Spotify.

Do so, it's a damn shame people don't appreciate Shadow Gallery more, so this post makes me glad :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2013, 09:21:12 PM »
SLS is absolutely incredible.  Best Riverside album IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2013, 04:46:27 PM »
A week of absence and I'm back with the next three!

20. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000)

In the past year I have been listening to far more post-rock than before. On my previous list, I only had one post-rock album (Explosions in the Sky's 'The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place' at #25) and I even stated there that it was the only album of its kind that I would need. While I still kind-of think the same way about that album and most post-rock in particular, there has been one band that repeatedly grabbed my attention more and more and that band is Godspeed You! Black Emperor. GY!BE is not your typical post-rock band that focuses on meandering melodies and guitar lines, building up gradually and ending in a climax. The band does those things, but in a very, very different way. GY!BE's songs are built up in 'movements', usually shorter pieces of music, tied together to create one larger song. This album conatins only 4 tracks, but all are roughly 20 minutes in length and vary quite a lot from each other. Their music has often been described as being 'end-of-the-world' music and I can pretty much sympathise with that. It doesn't contain vocals, apart from spoken-word samples and the music is very random and even unsettling at times. I guess the only way to really experience or explain what it's about is by having you listen to it yourselves. This album is very good and the band has moved up quite a lot in my rankings and it's not even their best. Please, check this one out. This is music meant to be experienced, not read about.

Favourite song: Sleep
Other songs worth checking out: Static, Storm, Antennas to Heaven

19. Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech (1997)

On my previous list I had three Devin Townsend albums (Deconstruction at #37, Ki at #21 and Terria at #6) and this one just missed out, although it wasn't even mentioned as an honourable mention. After the three aforementioned albums, this is my fourth favourite Devin Townsend album. It was his first, though you really can't hear that in the music. It's very well crafted in a style Devin would later develop to be his signature style. This album contains many fan-favourites and the last three tracks of the album, 'Funeral', 'Bastard' and 'The Death of Music' are often cited as some of the best he's ever done. Ocean Machine, as a whole (and yes, it really does feel like a whole), is one hell of a ride through some extremes, be it the uplifting 'Life', the mellow 'Sister', the heavy 'Regulator', the gloomy and brooding 'Bastard' or the random, yet very good 'The Death of Music'. From the start of 'Seventh Wave', the listener is taken on a journey through different styles, all of which Devin would later develop into the extreme, as is best showcased on his most recent albums. This is where his music began though and it's from here that you can see that he would become one of the greatest contemporary metal artists. Fantastic album overall and one that would only *just* miss out on being in my top 50.

Favourite song: Bastard
Other songs worth checking out: Regulator, The Death of Music, Funeral

18. Dan Swanö - Moontower (1999)

I don't like Nightingale, I find them very boring and bland and their songs didn't come across very well at all on stage. I don't like Edge of Sanity, because of similar reasons. There, I got that out of the way. Two of Dan Swanö's great bands I don't like. What's up with that? Shouldn't everybody love Dan? Well, I guess, but those works just aren't for me. The only release he ever did under his own name, though, that's something different. 'Moontower' was released in 1999 and, according to Wikipedia, Dan Swanö described the album as sounding like 'If Rush played death metal in the 1970s'. That's actually a pretty accurate description, since it's not your average death metal, but more like heavier prog-rock with death metal vocals. And it's fantastic. The album has a theme going on about Swanö's insecurities as a musician (at least, that's what I have heard), but the album cover reinforces that idea. It's a close-up of Swanö's eye and it's as if you're peering straight into his soul. Musically, this album is very good and most likely different from anything you've ever heard. If you don't mind death metal vocals layered on top of awesome music, go check this out, you will not regret it, even if you don't like Nightingale or Edge of Sanity.

Favourite song: Add Reality
Other songs worth checking out: Sun of the Night, Encounterparts, Uncreation

---

Thanks for reading once again. I'm still ridiculously busy with all sorts of stuff (hence my absence on DTF as a whole), but I'll try to update a bit more regularly.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: #20-18
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
I love Ocean Machine. Moontower is quite from what I've heard, but I've heard very little. It's pretty hard to get ahold of.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »
LYSFLATH is pretty good, but I much prefer F#A#Infinity - that is, to me, the perfect end-of-the-world music, and it's never boring throughout. LYSFLATH is rather meandering sometimes, though very rarely, but it does happen, especially in Static.

Ocean Machine is amazing. I really can't rank Devin's albums very well, but it's definitely in the upper half.

Moontower is pretty cool as well, though it's a little to keyboard-heavy with too little emphasis on the guitars for my tastes. While I like death metal vocals, I'm not really fan of progressive rock - I'm more a metal guy myself.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2013, 06:17:23 PM »
Moontower sounds promising or, at the very least, interesting.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »
Moontower is freaking awesome
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:51 AM »
Moontower, and Dan Swano and everything he does is bloody incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2013, 04:20:58 AM »
Moontower, and Dan Swano and everything he does is bloody incredible.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:23 AM »
I've been wanting to check out Moontower for a while now but I still haven't.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »
So I just listened to the Swano album for the first time. I love his deep throat, errrr I mean growling, technique. Very similar to Akerfeldt, which is nothing but good news. As for the music underneath that, woah  :omg:

I absolutely love the heavy use of the keyboards, and the guitar work is refreshing while not dominating the sound.

Thanks a lot for this, Elite. I'm going to have to let this sink in for a while and then check out more of his other stuff.

Uncreation  :metal
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2013, 04:54:14 AM »
So I just listened to the Swano album for the first time. I love his deep throat, errrr I mean growling, technique. Very similar to Akerfeldt, which is nothing but good news. As for the music underneath that, woah  :omg:

I absolutely love the heavy use of the keyboards, and the guitar work is refreshing while not dominating the sound.

Thanks a lot for this, Elite. I'm going to have to let this sink in for a while and then check out more of his other stuff.

Uncreation  :metal

Cool! Enjoy :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: three beauties from the 90's (#17-15)
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »
Long time without updates, busy week and one MASSIVE disappointment got the better of me. I'll try to be a bit quicker now, really.
First, three beauties from the 90's:

17. Royal Hunt - Paradox (1997)

Thank you, Nick, for introducing me to this album, when it was in your own top 50. Quality Danish progressive metal from the late 90's. What can I say? just everything is very good; drums, guitars, keyboards and vocals. Songwriting based the band uses quite a vast array of different styles and starting points to craft their work. It even sounds like they're ripping off some classical music here and there, but I can't exactly place the influences, so I guess that's a good thing. I must admit, to this date I haven't heard any other Royal Hunt album, but having known, owned and loved this one for over a year now, I suppose I should check out some of their other stuff someday. This is a great album regardless, one that will will be liked and loved by most people on these forums should they hear it.

Favourite song: Time Will Tell
Other songs worth checking out: Tearing Down the World, River of Pain, Silent Scream

16. Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)

Porcupine Tree was on my previous list twice, with my two favourite PT albums, Signify (#24) and In Absentia (#5). 'The Sky Moves Sideways' was named an honourable mention and is still my third favourite Porcupine Tree album. I have always been more of a fan of Porcupine Tree's earlier work than their latter stuff and it's albums like Signify and TSMS that reinforce that idea. Actually, if I hadn't set a rule for 'no live-albums', Porcupine Tree's 'Coma Divine' would rank ridiculously high on my list, by far my favourite thing the band has released and one of my favourite CDs in my rack. Funnily, most of 'The Sky Moves Sideways' is actually featured on 'Coma Divine', including an excerpt of the fantastic bonus track/extended edition track 'Moonloop'. Obviously, this is Porcupine Tree still in its beginning stages, but don't be fooled by that! The music on TSMS is vert well thought out and contains (in my opinion) some of their best songs. I also firmly believe that the best way to listen to this album is by taking the bonus tracks as well and place them between the actual CD tracks, creating a larger/longer CD. I'm sorry for all the people who prefer Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun or Stupid Dream, for it's Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways and Up the Downstair (my #4 PT album) where it's all at. Fantastic record and, once more, if 'Coma Divine' weren't a live disc, it would rank in the top 3 overall, without a doubt, with thanks to the songs from 'The Sky Moves Sideways'.

Favourite song: The Sky Moves Sideways Phase 1
Other songs worth checking out: The Moon Touches Your Shoulder, The Sky Moves Sideways Phase 2, Dislocated Day
and counting bonus tracks: Stars Die, Moonloop

15. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (1994)

And I'm going to disappoint some more people as well with this choice as well. This is my third favourite Pink Floyd album, after 'The Dark Side of the Moon' (#11 on previous list) and 'Animals' (#36 on previous list). 'Meddle' was featured on this list at #36 as my fourth favourite Floyd album, so that means NO 'Wish You Were Here' and NO 'The Wall'. What a shame. Or is it? Not really, for this is my (second) top 50 and I think 'The Division Bell' is a better album than those two. I can't really explain why. Maybe it has to do with Waters's non-involvement on this album and I'm just much more of a Gilmour-fan than a Waters-fan. Yes, I think it's mostly that. I love Gilmour's guitar work, always have, and think his voice is nicer to listen to than Waters's. On top of that, he really outdid himself with the songs on this album and overall, 'The Division Bell', but especially the fantastic top-3-Pink-Floyd-track closer 'High Hopes' is a fantastic swan-song for a band that had already passed its prime.

Favourite song: High Hopes
Other songs worth checking out: Poles Apart, Coming Back to Life, Cluster One

---

Thanks again for reading. I'll try to do more this weekend!
Squ

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »
TSMS is one of my fave PT albums :tup Moonloop isn't too great, but the rest of the album is perfect :hefdaddy

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »
I've not heard Paradox, but the other two are so much win. Good call.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
Thanks! :tup
Squ

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
Nice to see some love for Royal Hunt. Fear featured in my top 50. decent album in Paradox and maybe if this had been my first RH album it would have been my favourite. Saying that I prefer John West's voice to DC Cooper's so maybe not. Great album though. Check out Fear, it's excellent. They did a Paradox II recently too but I've not given that much of a chance yet.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
Although I'm not much of a PT fan, the other two are awesome albums. Love most all of Royal Hunt, whether it's West, Cooper, or Boals handling the vocals. Wasn't too high on Brockman though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2013, 04:13:07 AM »
Should also have said, I'm no big PF fan but I do love TDB. Great production, great songs.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
The Sky Moves Sideways is great! I also love The Division Bell. It was a great album to end their career with.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: an advice and V (the second) (#14 & 13)
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
Next two (I promised I would be a bit quicker with the updates!).

14. Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness (1996)

And the third Spock's Beard album on this list enters at #14. Beware of Darkness may only be the bands second album, but the Beard show on this album already that they would become a force to be reckoned with within the progressive rock scene. Named after a song by George Harrison (which the band also covered on this album), 'Beware of Darkness' contains at least two absolute Spock's Beard classics and fan-favourites in 'The Doorway' (a top 3 Beard track for me) and 'Walking on the Wind'. On top of that, the album contains 'Thoughts', the first part in the series of songs with the same name and another one of my favourite Spock's beard tracks; the extremely sexy, but often neglected album closer 'Time Has Come'. If you want to know more about the songs, I recommend you go read back through the Spock's Beard top 30 thread I started earlier this year. The top 10 contains three tracks from this album alone. To top it off, or really, to start it off, the album opener 'Beware of Darkness' is another great classic Beard track and another one of my favourites. The remaining two tracks, 'Chatauqua' and 'Waste Away' are good, but nothing to get overly excited about, if you ask me. 'Beware of Darkness' (the album) is just a fine example of Spock's beard's unrivalled songwriting skills and set the bar really high for their latter stuff to come. Neal Morse shows on here that he would become the man we all love in all those bands years later. In a way, 'The Light' is where it all started, but with their second album, the boys from the Beard truly released a classic in contemporary progressive rock.

Favourite song: The Doorway
Other songs worth checking out: Time Has Come, Walking on the Wind, Beware of Darkness

13. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)

Until about 9 months ago, I had never heard this album. I bought 'Paradise Lost' in 2009, starting my experience with Symphony X. I own both 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy' and 'The Odyssey' on CD and pre-ordered the limited edition of 'Iconoclast' before its release, but never cared to look back at their other, older stuff. Silly me, what the hell was I thinking? I love this album! And I would have loved it 4 years ago as well. Quickly, this one became my favourite Symphony X album by pretty far. It's as if the band reached a high here and created something they would never come close to again. Musically, it's all perfect, everything works and the whole album flows very well. The songs are tight, featuring all the great stuff we want from older Symphony X; great riffs, fantastic vocals, mysterious lyrics, soaring guitar leads, atmospheric keyboards, with great leads occasionally and a very tight rhythm section. There's only one thing I would change on this whole album and that's the only thing that actually makes me cringe; it's the absolutely horrible way of pronouncing the Latin words in the ripped-off classical parts with an American accent. Yuck, definitely obnoxious. Having sung those same words with the, allegedly, right pronounciation, it just hurts my ears to hear the way they sing it. But hey, if that's everything, then there's not a whole lot wrong with this album, right? No, there isn't and its placement at #13 in this top 50, which is a pretty high rank, augments that sentiment. 'V: The New Mythology Suite' is a fantastic progressive metal album and one that I think should be in every prog/metal fan's collection. And I can testify to that, for I have missed it for far too long.

Favourite song: Communion and the Oracle
Other songs worth checking out: Evolution (The Grand Design), A Fool's Paradise, Rediscovery (Part II): The New Mythology

---

Thanks for checking in!
Squ

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »
Two really good albums there.
V was my first SX album. Thought it was a bit short on melody initially and it took a while to appreciate.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »
Two beauties there!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2013, 02:22:41 AM »
Good ones.  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2013, 02:40:54 AM »
I'm no fan of Spock's Beard, but V is amazing, probably my #3 for SX. I love every song on it, though I think that CATO is a tad overrated. Also, I agree with your criticism of the album, the first time I heard "Die-ays ee-ray, die-ays ill-ya!" I facepalmed. Seriously.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2013, 02:45:05 AM »
Ooh, Beware Of Darkness is one of the two Beard albums I've not heard, and I've never got round to hearing Symphony X, but I may have to check it out.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2013, 07:19:10 AM »
NEXT THREE:

26. Fair to Midland - Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True (2007)

This alternative rock band is already pretty well known here on DTF and typing this right now, I actually don't really know what to say about this one. This is just a fun and very solid alternative rock album with some random influences from other stuff here and there. The music is very catchy and easily enjoyable, but not in a way that it gets boring. The vocals dominate the music for quite a lot and they range from low to spoken words and ridiculously long high phrases. The music itself is pretty straightforward and mainly riff driven. Highlights of the album include the album opener 'Dance of the Manatee', which was apparently released as a single and probably the band's best known song and 'April Fools and Eggmen', a song sent to me in my roulette and my main reason for checking out the rest of the band's music. The band's second album 'Arrows and Anchors' is also pretty cool, but I think this one is just a little better. I don't really know why.

Favourite song: Dance of the Manatee
Other songs worth checking out: April Fools and Eggmen, Upgrade^Brigade, A Wolf Descends upon the Spanish Sahara

I'm glad that song clicked with you, whenever I'm in a roulette I try and send on FTM song. Also I agree with you that the first album edges out A&A

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: two fantastic Swedish prog albums (#12 & 11)
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
TWO MORE!

12. Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane (2002)

As of now, 'Remedy Lane' by Pain of Salvation is (almost) the album that has the most plays on my last.fm account. While this doesn't really say a lot, since my last.fm account doesn't really reflect my listening behaviour all too well, it does say that I absolutely love the album. In the past year, I have seen the band live twice and they have grown from a band I really liked, to a band I loved, to my favourite band in the world. Their legacy is the main reason why and although I had three Pain of Salvation albums on my previous list ("BE" at #42, The Perfect Element at #29 and One Hour By The Concrete Lake at #10), I have come to love them even more and all will be higher in the final wrap up of both this list and the last. My appreciation for Pain of Salvation went through the roof after I saw them live for the first time and I have been listening to them ever since. Piece by piece, all the songs are falling into place and I'm in love with all of their material, apart from 'Scarsick', which I still can't seem to like. On to this album, which I will very briefly comment on. Everything on 'Remedy Lane' is done right. There's no bad song on it and, being a concept album (like all their other albums) you can see lots of recurring themes throughout the whole album. One thing that is a shame is that the band decided to only give Japan the AMAZING bonus track 'Thorn Clown'. I always have this song in the playlist and it's one of my absolutely favourites from the album, along with 'Rope Ends'. Pain of Salvation is my favourite band, because they manage to blend intensity and softness, technicality and emotion and much more. Daniël Gildenlöw is a living legend as far as I'm concerned and he left the world a whole bunch of fantastic music in Pain of Salvation's albums. Remedy Lane is just one of them and it may be my fourth favourite Pain of Salvation album, but I still love it to death.

Favourite song: Rope Ends, Thorn Clown
Other songs worth checking out: The rest of the album, but highlights for me include Chain Sling, Second Love, Ending Theme, Beyond the Pale, Undertow

11. Beardfish - Mammoth (2011)

And here's another band from Sweden. Beardfish gained some very short international fame when Mike Portnoy wanted to have them on the North American bill for the Progressive Nation Tour in 2009. (was it 2009? or 2008? I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up). It didn't work out eventually and the band was replaced, but it put them on the map for more people to enjoy. Portnoy's dream to have them on tour actually became a reality when in 2012 Beardfish toured with Flying Colors. It was the show at 013 in Tilbug, the Netherlands, that I first saw and heard the band live. Although I had this album for a while already, seeing the band live inspired me to listen to it much more and also check out some of their other stuff. Beardfish make a blend of classic progressive rock (think 70's Yes & Genesis), but with a more modern approach, although trying to retain that 'old' sound. The heavy use of keyboards and guitar amplifiers dialed to give a 'classic rock' sound augment this and help set the tone. Rikard Sjöblom's voice is the icing on the cake that eventually gives Beardfish a very distinctive sound. Also, the band hired a saxophonist to play on two tracks on this album and it's fantastic. Overall, the album is very, very good and I would recommend this to just about anyone willing to hear something a little different. Although being on the Dream Theater bill for a short while and touring with Flying Colors gave them a little bit of air-time, the majority of the prog-loving world probably still hasn't heard Beardfish's music and something should be done about that.

Favourite song: And The Stone Said "If I Could Speak"
Other songs worth checking out: The Platform, Without Saying Anything / Ventriloquist, Tightrope

---

Since the top 10 is next, here's a recap of everything so far:

50. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? (1967)
49. The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North (2006)
48. The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
47. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005)
46. Oceansize - Effloresce (2003)
45. Boudewijn de Groot - Voor de Overlevenden (1966)
44. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing..... (1996)
43. Savatage - Gutter Ballet (1989)
42. Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984)
41. Symphony X - Paradise Lost (2007)
40. Enochian Theory - Evolution: Creatio Ex Nihilo (2009)
39. Spock's Beard - The Light (1995)
38. Shadow Gallery - Tyranny (1998)
37. Rush - A Farewell to Kings (1977)
36. Pink Floyd - Meddle (1971)
35. maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map (2001)
34. Ørkenkjøtt - Ønskediktet (2012)
33. Ben Folds Five - Whatever And Ever Amen (1997)
32. Darkwater - Calling the Earth to Witness (2007)
31. Spock's Beard - V (2000)
30. Mastodon - Blood Mounatin (2006)
29. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)
28. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
27. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth (1998)
26. Fair to Midland - Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True (2007)
25. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris (2000)
24. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)
23. The Dear Hunter - Act III: Life and Death (2009)
22. Riverside - Second Life Syndrome (2005)
21. Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts (2009)
20. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000)
19. Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech (1997)
18. Dan Swanö - Moontower (1999)
17. Royal Hunt - Paradox (1997)
16. Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)
15. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (1994)
14. Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness (1996)
13. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)
12. Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane (2002)
11. Beardfish - Mammoth (2011)

Any guesses for the top 10? :)
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »
Remedy Lane is fantastic, one of my favorite albums. I've heard good things about Beardfish, but I've never really listened to them.

Is it safe to say that Dream Theater will be represented in your Top 10?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
Is it safe to say that Dream Theater will be represented in your Top 10?

Nope. This is my second list. I had DT in the top 10 at #9 and #1 with Awake and Images & Words on my first list and I added my 3rd favourite DT album on this list at #24 (SFAM).
Squ

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »
As a result of this top 50, I have gone and got a Godspeed album, although it wasn't the one listed here (it was not in the shop). It is amazing.