Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: The Big Finish (Top 3!)  (Read 24775 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: Even more prog; will it ever end?
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »
Only Darkwater album I have is Where Stories End, which is pretty good.
Not a fan of Mastodon, too shouty for me.
V is all kinds of awesome. Spock's best.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: Even more prog; will it ever end?
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
:metal!!!BLOOD MOUNTAIN!!! :metal
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: Stardust, Moonchild & Nightfall
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been very busy with all sorts of stuff and since I'm typing the write-ups on the fly, it takes up quite some time..
Anyway, here's the next three, spanning almost 30 years:

29. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)

On my last list I had Bowie's 'Hunky Dory' at #40 and while that one remains my favourite Bowie record, his probable best-known album 'Ziggy Stardust....' comes in at a great second place. I grew up with Bowie's music when I was younger, as my mother was a huge fan of him back in the day. Only when I started develop my musical tastes myself did I bother to actually check out and actively listen to his stuff. And it's good, it's still good to this day. I have since admired Bowie's amazing songwriting and although he doesn't reach the same heights he did on 'Hunky Dory', on 'Ziggy' he comes very close. This album contains so many memorable and well-known Bowie songs (more so than on 'Hunky Dory') that it's difficult to pick a favourite. I suppose it will have to be the boring choice, 'Starman', though. There's just nothing bad about this record. It's a solid Bowie album and a blast to listen to, even after over 40 years.

Favourite song: Starman
Other songs worth checking out: Ziggy Stardust, Rock & Roll Suicide, Moonage Daydream (but really, just the whole album, it's hard to choose favourites)

28. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

The first mention of Iron Maiden in any of my lists and also the last. Iron Maiden's seventh album has always been my favourite after having heard all of them. Back in my high school days, when I had long hair and listen to a lot more metal than I do today, I had a friend who listened to Iron Maiden DAY IN DAY OUT. Like, Iron Maiden was the only thing he'd listen to. This friend obviously got me into them more than 'The Number of the Beast' did, the first Maiden album I bought, but he didn't think that much of Maiden's seventh. I was never truly a Maiden fan, I suppose. Not in the sense this obsessed friend was, but I thouroughly enjoyed their music. I was actually drawn to this one, more than their other albums and I think that it was because of the distinctive sound on this album.  It's that same sound, I believe that divides the entire Maiden fanbase. Some love this one, others shrug it off like it's one of their worst. Songwise, this album has quite a few of their 'classics', though the question is whether they would actually be classics if Maiden hadn't played the shit out of them live. To me, it's the whole thing that counts. It doesn't really have any standout tracks for me, but it's just consistently very good. I suppose any metal fan has heard of Iron Maiden and so it's not really a surprising choice. I realise with 'Seventh Son' I might step on some toes for saying it's their best, but I also know there's a whole world of people who will agree with me. A great album, by one of metal's greatest bands. If you ever get the chance to see them live (if you haven't already), do it. It's awesome, even if you're not as much of a fan of the band as the majority of the people there.

Favourite song: Moonchild
Other songs worth checking out: Infinite Dreams, The Evil That Men Do, The Clairvoyant

27. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth (1998)

And here we have Blind Guardian greatest achievement. Power metal has always been a hit-or-miss genre for me with only a couple of bands I really like (Avantasia, Firewind for example) and even most of Blind Guardian's output I don't really like as much, but on this one, they really struck the right chord (is that an actual expression, or did I just make it up? I'm not sure). 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth' is essentially a concept album that tells some stories from J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion'. From wikipedia: 'The music is more "melodic" on this album, compared to previous works such as Somewhere Far Beyond, and the songs have much more fluency, without losing any of the traditional speed or guitar solos and leads.' And that's exactly it. While I actually really like 'Somewhere Far Beyond', that particular album can be pretty fierce to sit through and 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth' actually takes breaks from the fast music here and there, most notably in the spoken-word passages and interludes. Nevertheless, the music itself is highly entertaining and often very good, reaching extreme heights at some points. The album closes 'A Dark Passage' has to be my favourite, an awesome climax to an album, but other highlights include 'Into the Storm' and 'Nightfall', the first two 'proper' songs, the beautiful 'The Eldar', in which vocalist Hansi Kürsch shows off his amazing capabilities, and the best known song 'Mirror Mirror', a furious speed/power metal song. Overall, this album has everything you'd want from a power metal band, but doesn't force it into your face. It's nice to listen to and gives you, the listener, a break at some points. If you haven't yet tried out any of Blind Guardian's material, I recommend this album to you. Not only is it by far their best, it's also a fantastic experience throughout.

Favourite song: A Dark Passage
Other songs worth checking out: Nightfall, Mirror Mirror, Into the Storm

----

As always, thanks for reading :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:44:01 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
I have that Blind Guardian album and have tried it out a couple times, but so far it hasn't quite clicked. And there's no arguing with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
:iagree:

I'm in the same boat.  BG is hit and miss for me.  Not a lot sticks, but what does I really like.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »
Nightfall is the awesome.  It's days like this where you give me no reason to mock you elite.

Offline adace

« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »
Not really a Bowie fan, but the other two are great. :tup

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
Not the biggest Blind Guardian fan, but I enjoy A Night At The Opera from time to time. I haven't heard the one you mentioned

Offline masterthes

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
Ziggy is my 2nd favorite Bowie album (Aladdin Sane number one)

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
You got 3 amazing albums right there. It's always good to see some love for Bowie  :heart
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
Not a Bowie fan but I like a couple of tracks on that album.

The Maiden is good, but not one of my favourites, as discussed elsewhere.

The BG is excellent. I'm a new convert to them but I like much of what I've heard.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »
I have that Blind Guardian album and have tried it out a couple times, but so far it hasn't quite clicked. And there's no arguing with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

I know this is generally viewed as sacrilege but the thing that bothers me the most about Blind Guardian is that vocalist.  I can't take that screechy voice of his. 

Never cared much for David Bowie, but I definitely digs me some Seventh Son

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »

I know this is generally viewed as sacrilege but the thing that bothers me the most about Blind Guardian is that vocalist.  I can't take that screechy voice of his. 

He put me off initially when I sampled clips on YT, but I soon realised he's a great singer. Some of the Morris dancing music gets to me (like with latter day Maiden), but there's enough quality there.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2013, 02:30:36 AM »
Watch some live clips (especially Valhalla from their live dvd). The man is a seriously good singer.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2013, 02:44:56 AM »
Hansi's voice is the main reason I ever listen to Blind Guardian

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:18 AM »
I love Nightfall, such a wonderful album.  When I first heard BG, I wasn't too keen on Hansi's voice either, but I stuck it through and I eventually loved him.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:28 AM »
He sounds like a wee goat  :laugh:

Online Mladen

« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2013, 10:30:37 AM »
Seventh son is terrific.  :metal

I'm just getting into the enormous body of work by David Bowie, there's quite a lot to grasp but I love everything I've heard so far.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: three albums with nothing in common
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »
NEXT THREE:

26. Fair to Midland - Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True (2007)

This alternative rock band is already pretty well known here on DTF and typing this right now, I actually don't really know what to say about this one. This is just a fun and very solid alternative rock album with some random influences from other stuff here and there. The music is very catchy and easily enjoyable, but not in a way that it gets boring. The vocals dominate the music for quite a lot and they range from low to spoken words and ridiculously long high phrases. The music itself is pretty straightforward and mainly riff driven. Highlights of the album include the album opener 'Dance of the Manatee', which was apparently released as a single and probably the band's best known song and 'April Fools and Eggmen', a song sent to me in my roulette and my main reason for checking out the rest of the band's music. The band's second album 'Arrows and Anchors' is also pretty cool, but I think this one is just a little better. I don't really know why.

Favourite song: Dance of the Manatee
Other songs worth checking out: April Fools and Eggmen, Upgrade^Brigade, A Wolf Descends upon the Spanish Sahara

And we´re halfway through the list!

25. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris (2000)

This album is so obscure that amazon didn't have it listed and I had to get the cover from somewhere else. Well, what is this? This is an album by Czech technical death metal band Lykathea Aflame. They only released one album, although they were previously know as Appalling Spawn, and released some stuff under that moniker. The album itself was released back in 2000, but in a very limited supply. I own a copy on CD, but there's no way you're gonna get one firsthand anymore. Right, so this is a technical death metal album. While this isn't the most 'heavy' album on my lists, it is definitely the most 'brutal', for lack of a better word. Also, it's the only death metal album on both lists (not really counting other music that uses growls, like Opeth) and that's for a reason. You see, I greatly dislike death metal. I find it bland, boring and generally either silly or a chore to listen to. Then why the hell did I put this album on my list? Because 1) this is one of only two (technical) death metal albums I own on CD and hence I can probably say it's my favourite death metal album. 2) it's actually very fucking great. What makes it great? Well, first off, the vocals are completely incomprehensible. You can't hear a ting he's saying and it sounds like someone is continuously blowing in the microphone. That's not really something to write home about is it? No, it's not, but at least the lyrics don't speak of overused disgusting subjects like torture, murder or rape. Contrary to what you initially hear (which is basically next to nothing, but based on the pure assumption that death metal always speaks about these or similar subjects) the lyrics are actually very friendly, or mysterious. Next up; the music itself. This band took a great influence from middle-eastern music and that comes back throughout the entire album. The music is very, very fast on the whole record and in the heavier parts doesn't really leave room to breathe, but this is an exception to death metal albums in the sense that the band takes a step back here and there, to go into beautiful clean passages. Also, what truly makes this album stand out and what guarantees its high placement on this list, is that's it's frantic as hell, but it sounds HAPPY. Yes, I'm serious, go check out a couple of random tracks from the album (though I recommend my personal favourite 'Bringer of Elvenefris Flame'). Happy death metal, yes. And that's why it's good. It's the only album (I've heard of) of its kind and although I still pretty much dislike the genre to a large extent, occasionally I would stumble across a gem that was worth listening to. This is one of those. I doubt I can make many people listen to this one and I can imagine one not liking this one at all on first listen, especially if you're not used to death metal. I'm not used to the genre either, but I can listen to this. In my opinion this is the greatest death metal album ever.

Favourite song: Bringer of Elvenefris Flame
Other songs worth checking out: Land Where Sympathy is Air, A Step Closer, An Old Man and a Child

24. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)

And since I'm on dreamtheaterforums.org I feel there's no need to type anything about the content of this album. This is a favourite among Dream Theater fans and rightfully so. It's my personal third favourite behind Awake (#9 on previous list) and Images & Words (#1 on my previous list and still my #1 album of all time). Looking back I think 'Metropolis Pt. 2' was my first experience with Dream Theater, though I can't remember having listened actively to it back then. It later became one of my most played records ever and I even have a second copy on CD, because my first one failed me. I learned playing the guitar by playing along to this album and I can still play every song on it by heart (in fact, I have played through the entire album today) and it contains some of Dream Theater's absolute best. While I don't think this is Dream Theater's best (or the best concept album ever, for that matter), the album is genuinely fantastic. And that's it.

Favourite song: Scene Eight: The Spirit Carries On
Other songs worth checking out: Scene Six: Home, Scene Two: Overture 1928, Scene Nine: Finally Free

---

And since we just passed the halfway marker, here's the list so far, for anyone who missed stuff or doesn't bother going back:

50. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? (1967)
49. The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North (2006)
48. The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
47. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005)
46. Oceansize - Effloresce (2003)
45. Boudewijn de Groot - Voor de Overlevenden (1966)
44. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing..... (1996)
43. Savatage - Gutter Ballet (1989)
42. Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984)
41. Symphony X - Paradise Lost (2007)
40. Enochian Theory - Evolution: Creatio Ex Nihilo (2009)
39. Spock's Beard - The Light (1995)
38. Shadow Gallery - Tyranny (1998)
37. Rush - A Farewell to Kings (1977)
36. Pink Floyd - Meddle (1971)
35. maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map (2001)
34. Ørkenkjøtt - Ønskediktet (2012)
33. Ben Folds Five - Whatever And Ever Amen (1997)
32. Darkwater - Calling the Earth to Witness (2007)
31. Spock's Beard - V (2000)
30. Mastodon - Blood Mountain (2006)
29. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)
28. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
27. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth (1998)
26. Fair to Midland - Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True (2007)
25. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris (2000)
24. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)
Squ

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
I love the Aflame cover art. I may have to get it just for that. Also:  :metal for metropolis
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »
SFAM is waaaaaaaaay to low
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
No, it's just about right on.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2013, 01:53:47 AM »
This.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2013, 03:13:48 AM »
This.

And I could have left it out completely and nobody would have cared.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »
Nah, it's too high. I never really cared for it, personally, it's like... my number six or seven for DT. The story is just so convoluted that I find it difficult to enjoy it, and many songs only work in the context of the story. The only songs that I enjoy outside of the album are probably Fatal Tragedy, Home and TSCO.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Mladen

« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
Nah, it's too high. I never really cared for it, personally, it's like... my number six or seven for DT. The story is just so convoluted that I find it difficult to enjoy it, and many songs only work in the context of the story. The only songs that I enjoy outside of the album are probably Fatal Tragedy, Strange Deja vu and TSCO.

FTFM, otherwise I totally agree with you.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
SFAM used to be my favorite album of all time up until a year or so ago. Now, I think Elite's placement is around where it would be for me. I still like it a lot, but I've discovered so much more music that I enjoy more.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
Keep in mind that this is a second top 50 list.. I already did my top 50 albums once and although I will combine both the old list and this one at the end, I can tell you that Scenes will not make the cut for the new top 50. It would likely land at around #75 or so, based on this assumption.
Squ

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2013, 06:12:43 AM »
I gave Fair to Midland a try based on quite a bit of gushing about them around here and elsewhere but didn't really care for it.  Death metal doesn't do much for me with a few very rare exceptions, but I do admire some of the technicality in the instrumentation of some of those groups.  I have a hard time getting through more than one or two tracks at a time, though, because the vocals usually impact me like nails on a chalkboard  :lol

SFAM will always be something pretty special to me.  When I first got into Dream Theater, the first album I ever heard was Images & Words.  I was blown away.  When I first heard Awake....I was....not blown away.  In fact, I was disappointed.  I wanted another album like Images & Words.  At that point I kind of forgot about Dream Theater for a while.  Then a few years later, I was at the record shop and on a whim I decided to go through the Dream Theater selection and saw Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory and I was  :eek   Because having devoured Images & Words I knew exactly what "Metropolis" was a reference to and my hopes for another album in a similar vein to Images & Words were now restored!

So, SFAM was the second Dream Theater album that blew me away.  There's only one other album in their catalog that had that kind of impact on me, but I'll have that for another time.  I eventually circled back to Awake, which I now enjoy and even consider to be a top-tier Dream Theater album. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2013, 08:43:28 AM »
I gave Fair to Midland a try based on quite a bit of gushing about them around here and elsewhere but didn't really care for it.  Death metal doesn't do much for me with a few very rare exceptions, but I do admire some of the technicality in the instrumentation of some of those groups.  I have a hard time getting through more than one or two tracks at a time, though, because the vocals usually impact me like nails on a chalkboard  :lol

Is there another Fair to Midland I don't know about?  The album Elite mentioned is pretty far from death metal.  It is alternative/progressive kind of rock with a lot of popish vocal hooks.
Winger would be better!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2013, 09:33:05 AM »
I think every sentence except for the first one referred to Lykathea Aflame instead of FTM. :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »
I think every sentence except for the first one referred to Lykathea Aflame instead of FTM. :lol

:rollin  haha, that's what I get for just clicking the "new" button and reading the post that comes up instead of going back to see what albums Elite had posted.  I only remembered that he had posted about Fables.
Winger would be better!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: three recent prog albums
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
Next three, because I haven't had any time the past week and probably won't have any next week:

23. The Dear Hunter - Act III: Life and Death (2009)

After I have had Act II at #14 on my first list and Act I at #49 on this list, I'm ending the trilogy-so-far with Act III here. Stylistically pretty similar to the first two installations in this epic tale, the band nevertheless manages to incorporate some new elements into the variety of styles the employ in their music. Casey Crescenzo, the band's main songwriting has an unbelievable sense of good writing and every song in itself on this album therefore is very, very good. The songs ranges from groovy, slower songs, to ballsy, all-out rock songs and sometimes incorporating random elements of humour as well (I'm looking at you, 'Go Get Your Gun'). Though it's sometimes pretty difficult to tell what the story is trying to say, the music actually ties into the previous albums, with the most obvious examples being the bloody brilliant double-punch at the end of the album, two songs titled 'Son' and 'Father' that effortlessly flow into each other, reprising (musical) elements of both Act I and II. If you're a fan of alternative/indie experimental/progressive rock, this should go straight into your to-listen-to list.

Favourite song: the double-punch of 'Son' and 'Father'
Other songs worth checking out: In Cauda Venenum, Go Get your Gun, He Said He Had a Story

22. Riverside - Second Life Syndrome (2005)

I suppose Riverside fans can't really agree on the best Riverside album and although I do own Anno Domini High Definition on CD, but not this one, 'Second Life Syndrome' is my favourite Riverside album. Musically, this album can be classified as progressive rock/metal, with longer and shorter songs to boot, raging from heavy stuff, to almost ambient like at some points. The band has a pretty distinctive style, which is mainly characterised by lead-singer Mariusz Duda's voice. The title-track here is the absolutely highlight, being my favourite Riverside song in their entire discography (that bass riff is awesome and the chorus is just beyond words good), but every song on here is worth checking out really. Just a fantastic record overall.

Favourite song: Second Life Syndrome
Other songs worth checking out: Dance With the Shadow, Conceiving You, Volte-Face

21. Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts (2009)

The death of Shadow Gallery lead-singer Mike baker at the end of 2008 left the entire Shadow Gallery community in deep shock and sadness and the question of whether the band would actually continue to exist arose. The band quickly returned with 'Digital Ghosts' at the end of 2009, four years after having released their critically acclaimed fifth album 'Room V'. The album is (in my view) essentially an homage to their old singer, as many songs speak of him either directly or indirectly (at least, that's how I have always perceived the album), but the band does this without losing their integrity and personal style of progressive metal. Though it is a bit heavier than their previous output, mostly because the production level has been upped a notch, 'Digital Ghosts' contains seven songs that are all awesome in their own rights. Shortly after the release the band started to perform live for the first time, with a tour through Europe with their new singer, Brian Ashland, who does an amazing job on vocals on the album overall. Furthermore, this album has everything you want from a Shadow Gallery album; great vocal melodies and harmonies, catchy (vocal) hooks, great choruses and the occasional amazing guitar or keyboard solo. After 'Carved in Stone' (#31 on my previous list) and 'Legacy' (#2 on my previous list), this is my third favourite Shadow Gallery album. The band was back and the world would know it.

Favourite song: Haunted
Other songs worth checking out: With Honor, Digital Ghost, Pain

---

Thanks for checking once again :)
Squ

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: three recent prog albums
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2013, 07:05:19 PM »
I've always liked The Dear Hunter trilogy, just never listen to it that often.
Riverside ... I've tried, and I (or it) continues to fail for me.
Shadow Gallery is awesome start to finish, and this album simply proves it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion