Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: The Big Finish (Top 3!)  (Read 24793 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: update: #6-#4
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
I'd have said some Devin... Ocean Machine, maybe? No clue on the others... maybe some more Leprous.

19. Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech (1997)

No more Townsend, I've had my four favourites already.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »
Well, with the speed you're going, you can't blame me for forgetting about that entry. :neverusethis:

Seriously, though, there's a lot of stuff that I know you like, but I doubt that any of it would rank this highly, so I'll just wait until you unveil it (in a month :P) while standing on the sidelines, nodding sagely and pretending that I knew what it was going to be all along.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
Oh shit, this thing has been going for two months already.. Oops.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »
Gonna quote this so it doesn't get lost.

So, here's three more:

6. Mr. Bungle - California (1999)

This is probably the wackiest, weirdest and most diverging disc in both this top 50 and my previous one. And tell you what; this isn't even the band's most extreme! That honour goes to 'Disco Volante'. But where the latter falls short on keeping my interest throughout the whole work, despite being batshit crazy (it's probably the length of the record), 'California' has become a favourite of mine in not very much time. Mr. Bungle is a band that implemented so much random stuff into their music, that the only right word to describe them would become 'experimental', or even 'avant-garde' and yes, that's exactly what it is. No song in 'California' is the same, not even slightly in a similar style. Yet everything feels like it belongs together. Isn't that fantastic? I think so and although this album is pretty much indescribable (check out 'Ars Moriendi', my favourite track from the album, if you want to have a taste of what you can and can't expect), I think one word can sum it up; 'incredible'.

Favourite song: Ars Moriendi
Other songs worth checking out: Goodbye Sober Day, Pink Cigarette, Sweet Charity

5. Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)

This album has frequently been mentioned as being one of the best albums ever made and I can see exactly why that would be the case, because, simply put, this album really just is one of the best albums ever made. It's only such a shame for this particular disc that I think there's even better albums out there (or else it would logically be at #1), but that shouldn't really detract from its awesomeness. While I know quite some people that prefer Radiohead's latter output, like 'Kid A' or even 'Hail to the Thief', I could never understand why. And that's mainly because 'OK Computer' has everything you want from an alternative rock band on one disc. There's some cool guitar work, there's highly interesting song structures, there's odd sounds here and there and there's the wonderful voice of mister Thom Yorke. Well, since this is pretty much a classic already, even after only 16 years of existence, I don't feel the need to comment on this one much further. Go check it out if you haven't yet, you're missing out on amazing stuff.

Favourite song: Paranoid Android
Other songs worth checking out: No Surprises, Karma Police, Airbag

5. Spock's Beard - The Kindness of Strangers (1998)

Don't you guys hate those expanded editions where the artwork is made smaller with that highly annoying border around it? I sure as hell do and will never buy an album that has it, if I can also get the original somewhere. That said; I haven't found an original copy of 'The Kindness of Strangers' and, like with 'The Light', I'll probably have to resort to this hideous cover. Right. 'The Kindness of Strangers' is the best album Spock's Beard ever made and is almost the best thing Neal Morse has done. The music is fantastic, with every single song being awesome. Song lengths range from the 4-minute marks to the fantastic 'Flow', my second favourite Spock's Beard song ever (after The Light), which is over 15 minutes long. Musically this album is astonishingly good, with your trademark Spock's Beard rockers, as well as the quirkiness you'd expect from them. Fucking fantastic album, that's all.

Favourite song: Flow
Other songs worth checking out: Harm's Way, The Good Don't Last, June

---

Right, that was that. Whoever guesses the top 3 in order gets lots of cookies and will be featured in my personal text, instead of 'Inventory!'. Or whatever. Doubt you'll guess it anyway.
Thanks for reading though, if you did! :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2013, 07:12:01 PM »
California  :heart

Offline Mladen

« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2013, 03:12:11 AM »
One of my Radiohead favorites and one of my SB favorites as well. Good choices.  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »
California  :heart

One of my Radiohead favorites and one of my SB favorites as well. Good choices.  :tup

Thanks! :)
Yeah, all three are absolutely fantastic.
Squ

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:04 AM »
Missed about 3/4 of the list since I was on fieldwork, but man, I still have to listen to a shitload of albums from your list. And still following.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »
And before I post the top 3 to end this all, here's a couple of honourable mentions. Albums that either just didn't make it or were unwillingly and unfortunately left out. Here they are:

Leprous - Bilateral (2011)
For any who hasn't heard of Leprous yet, I implore you to do so immediately. They are labeled as 'extraordinary progressive metal from Norway' on their latest album, 'Coal', which was released a couple of months ago. Their second album 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' was featured in the first incarnation of my top 50, but 'Bilateral' is actually just as good as that one. It's awesome.

Protest the Hero - Fortress (2008)
Amazingly technical progressive metal with the most manic-depressive sounding lead-singer in the world. The music is very difficult to grasp, since there's so much wacky shit going on, but it's amazing in it's own right. Also proves to be a far greater challenge to play on guitar than the entire Dream Theater catalogue combined.

Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair (1993)
My fourth favourite Porcupine Tree album (after 'In Absentia', 'Signify' and 'The Sky Moves Sideways') surely should deserve a mention. Pretty awesome stuff this Mr. Wilson did in his earlier days. Although I like the two albums that came after this one better, you can already hear what was to come on 'Up the Downstair'. Amazing record and one that unjustifiably doesn't get heard often, due to the enormous popularity of Porcupine Tree's newer (and in my opinion, weaker) stuff.

Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (2008)
Wilson's first solo album, where he experimented with drones mostly is a very rewarding experience to those who enjoy his stuff. In a way it resembles Porcupine Tree's earlier output, of which I stated above that I like it better than their more recent stuff, and therefore I was pleasantly surprised by 'Insurgentes'. Of course, we also have 'The Raven that Refused to Sing' now (which will not be included, because it hasn't been out for over 6 months) and 'Grace for Drowning', which I probably both like better, but 'Insurgentes' really is a very solid and remarkable output by one of today's best progressive rock musicians.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible (1994)
And now for something different. Manic Street Preachers were a 90's alternative rock band and this album is, in my opinion, their best work. It's actually quite a scary record and can be difficult to sit through, especially with the knowledge that guitarist Richey Edwards vanished after its release and probably committed suicide and there's theories lying around that this very album was his 'suicide note' to the world. A very angsty record, yet one that can be loved if you take the time for it to sink in.

---

That was it for the honourable mentions this time around. Top 3 coming soon.
Squ

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2013, 11:18:15 PM »
Up the Downstair is awesome and it's always great to see love for earlier PT albums, although I also like the later stuff. Also, Insurgentes >>>>> Grace for Drowning

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #220 on: July 04, 2013, 10:57:07 AM »
Insurgentes is pretty cool, especially some of the softer songs, like the title track and Veneno Para Las Hadas. Kindness Of Strangers also rocks balls hard, and Up The Downstair is damn good too.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »
Kindness of Strangers is my favorite SB album, and I love Up The Downstair. Insurgentes is awesome as well. I like OK Computer, but I don't consider it to be as great as many make it out to be.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2013, 07:23:38 PM »
I had planned to do the final update today. I even have the tab open here, with half of the write-up typed out, but I only just finished doing what I had to do and I'm tired, so I'm off to bed. Last update will be there tomorrow. Goodnight DTF :)
Squ

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
Great pick with the Radiohead  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2013, 08:59:10 PM »
It's always great to see someone else here have a Radiohead album up that high! :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums! v2: The Big Finish (Top 3!)
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2013, 05:25:28 AM »
Here we have it then, the big finish and the three to end my list:

3. Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever (2001)

I've had a lot of great Neal Morse stuff on this list and with every album I kept on saying how it wasn't his best album. Well, here we finally have it. 'Bridge Across Forever' is fucking amazing and it's a shame I left it out on my initial list, only including 'The Whirlwind', simply because I had never even heard this one properly yet, to actually admire the absolute beauty that is this album. As many people on this forum will attest, as I've seen it high up on numerous other Top 50 lists, this is one of the best progressive rock albums of the last decade. Clocking in at almost 77 minutes, this album contains only 4 tracks, all of which are fantastic. The majestic opening song of almost 27 minutes, 'Duel With the Devil' is in my opinion the best track, but this is really just a matter of preference, since there is simply no bad moment on the album at all. 'Suite Charlotte Pike', the second track is more jam-orientated and the band clearly had fun writing that one. The title-track then is by far the shortest song of the bunch, at 5.5 minutes, but is one of the most beautiful ballads Neal Morse has written. The album ends with the longest song of the bunch, 'Stranger in Your Soul', at 30 minutes. This album contains much stuff the prog-enthusiast will enjoy; great licks, riffs, melodies and recurring themes through all of the songs. Every band member is on fire and shines in his own right, but with the fantastic line-up Transatlantic has, nothing should really go wrong. As of yet, I haven't had the fortune to see the band live, but with them writing a fourth album now, I'm sure I can catch them live next year and I definitely will. These songs beg to be heard and there's absolutely nothing wrong with this record at all. In fact, I think I can say this is the best progressive rock (not metal!) album of the past decade. It's simply that good.

Favourite song: Duel With the Devil
Other songs worth checking out: Well, yeah, the other three tracks maybe?

2. Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls (2008)

Here's one people who have seen my posts on this forums and who know me in person probably saw coming. I discovered this band after I saw them live at ProgPower Europe 2011, but didn't start listening to them until the beginning of 2012. Although I knew this album back when I did my first list, I didn't include it in the actual list, because I have this hard time limit of having to know an album at least 6 months before it can be included, but I did mention it as an honourable mention. 'Mercy Falls' is a progressive metal concept album about a comatose man who is fictitiously in a town called 'Mercy Falls' in his dreams, while his wife and son live in the real world, hoping to cure him. The stories of both world interact on numerous occasions in the story, but to me, that's not really a big point. You know, a concept album is nice, the story is well thought-out, but the music itself here is stunningly good. Seventh Wonder are a band with incredibly capable musicians and they like to show that off without being flashing. Take for example the song 'Welcome to Mercy Falls', in which the singer sings over very complicated riffs to create a massive mind-fuck and something new you can hear with every listen. Initially I thought this album might go down on my list, after having aged, but 'Mercy Falls' kept its redeeming quality and is to this date still an album I can regularly enjoy, even after having overplayed it a lot during the first couple of months I heard this. Since my first list, this is the best progressive metal album I have heard and it's definitely something a lot of people on these forums can possibly enjoy. Fantastic album!

Favourite song: A Day Away, Hide and Seek, Unbreakable
Other songs worth checking out: The rest of the album

1. Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F♯ A♯ ∞ (1997)

This is an unexpected one, isn't it? It was for me as well when I started making this list, but there was no other place to put this album than at #1. Now that I've done that, I feel it needs a lengthy explanation, but I don't really have much to say on this album. First off, I'm talking about the vinyl version of this album, not the CD version, although both are brilliant. For those who don't know the band, 'Godspeed You Black Emperor!' (as they were called when they released this, they later changed their name to 'Godspeed You! Black Emperor') are a post-rock band, but they are nothing like most post-rock bands that are around nowadays. Their heavy use of seemingly random pieces of music simply glued together, combined with field recordings and samples make this band sound really unique and it's not for everybody. In fact, I didn't like this band at all when I first heard them, dismissing them as 'boring' and having a lack of direction in the songs, but it was later that I realised that that's not the point of this band's music at all. These are no 'songs', these are pieces of music that set an incredible atmosphere. This album is called 'F♯ A♯ ∞', because on the vinyl version, the first side, called 'Nervous, Sad Poor..' is in F# while the second side, called 'Bleak, Uncertain, Beautiful..' is in A#. The infinity symbol comes from the second side as well, as vinyl gives you an option modern CDs or audio files don't have; the use of a locked groove at the end of the record, thus making it never end. This last thing is just one of the reasons the vinyl is better than the CD, but more importantly; these piece of music had been written and recorded in the way they appeared on the vinyl. On the CD version the band took both sides of the vinyl, mixed the different parts of the songs around and added some more stuff to create a CD that's almost twice the length of the vinyl. Because that's the thing, you can actually do that with this band's music. Although there is absolutely no clear indication of the names of the individual parts on the record sleeve (I only own the vinyl, so I can't comment on the CD, but on the wikipedia page the names are given), it seems that the band could just swap the individual parts around to create something new. And in a sense, the CD version then became a completely different album.

Enough about the technical aspects of this album. Why should an album comprised of train noises, people speaking, random guitar sounds made by dragging a screwdriver up and down the neck and a preacher with bagpipes in the background be any good? Let alone the completely weird never-ending loop at the end? Because this album sets an atmosphere like no other album I know does and this is artistic experimentalism by a relatively modern band at its finest, as far as I'm concerned. Often called 'end of the world music', for lack of a better description, that's actually exactly what it sounds like. 'Godspeed You Black Emperor!' is the soundtrack to the end of the world and 'F♯ A♯ ∞'', although being their first album, is their finest work. I kind-of feel like I haven't really explained enough why this album ranks in the top spot on this second list of mine, but I can't really say much more. My best advice here is for everybody to just listen to this one and enjoy it. I can personally say that listening to this one spinning on my turntable while lying in bed with the lights out is one of the best sonic experiences I ever had. If you ever get the chance, do it. Or don't, but I guess that would be your loss. Then again, this one definitely isn't for everybody, but I love it.

Favourite song: lol
Other songs worth checking out: again, lol

---

Thanks for reading, I've had a good time doing this once again, although it took me a bit longer than I had expected. I'll do the final round-up of the full list later today and I'll combine it with my previous list, to make a new top 50.
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2013, 05:26:54 AM »
Mercy Falls is awesome.

I've always been intritgued with your number one album but never have gotten around to checking it out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2013, 05:32:37 AM »
I love the shit out of F#A#∞ too. It'll be high on my V2 list.

Hints lol.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2013, 05:54:49 AM »
Mercy Falls is awesome.

I've always been intritgued with your number one album but never have gotten around to checking it out.

^that, except the part about being intrigued with F#A#

BAF is damned fine too. Was high on my list.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
BAF  :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2013, 07:09:32 AM »
Great picks, although I haven't hard F#A#∞.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
F#A#∞ is amazing and a great pick for nr1, even though I prefer LYSF.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2013, 11:27:34 AM »
I need to get more Godspeed. The one album I've heard is great.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »
You already know how I feel about Mercy Falls  :heart :heart :heart :heart

And number one is a great album as well, but also incredibly hard for me to compare with the rest of my music collection.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »
Mercy Fall = :heart
F#A#Infinity = :hefdaddy

That opening sequence of The Dead Flag Blues sends chills down my spine EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!