Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]  (Read 26824 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
I've now read two reviews in the media that pissed all over it.  Usually, this means I will enjoy it  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 02:35:52 PM »
I've now read two reviews in the media that pissed all over it.  Usually, this means I will enjoy it  :lol

I've seen almost unanimous praise for the film.

4/5 in almost every review i've seen.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 08:09:59 PM »
Waiting in line. I am excite.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 01:00:25 AM »
I just got back from it and I don't know any Trekkies who are awake right now! AARBLBHBH

HEAVY SPOILERS

+ Benedict is just an outstanding villain. What he can do with his voice and facial expressions are just extraordinary. In Sherlock he's this  quiet genius but in Star Trek Into Darkness he just exudes pure evil.
This is one of the things I intended to post. I haven't had a villain made me feel that uneasy since Nurse Rachet.
The way he reveals his [true identity] to Kirk is just amazing. I thought [that bit] would be cheesy and lame but it was performed perfectly by Benedict.
Eh. All he said was "My name is Khan." If you're referring to how he reveals his true identity to the audience, however, I think that was masterful. Trekkies who know their stuff should have been able to figure out pretty early on that Khan's crew was stuffed in the torpedoes.
+ i know already people on here are going to have a problem with *the ending* - even i'm not 100% sure on how I feel about it.

It's either a loving homage to an earlier movie / putting a spin on a classic scene ... or it's just a cop-out.
I loved it solely because of the role reversal. To me, it illustrated that no matter how their situations differ from the prime universe, there are certain points of their destinies that cannot be avoided.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 05:32:44 AM »
Bob Orci was answering fan questions on TrekMovie last night and he said he didn't think it was the timeline correcting itself - it was more like the multiverse theory where this new timeline is one of many alternate timelines where similar things happen in each of them.

And that this scene was to finally show Spock what it means to be a friend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 05:34:28 AM »
Eh. All he said was "My name is Khan."

I know but I mean the way he delivered it coupled with his face and the eerie music.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 07:24:08 AM »
Eh. All he said was "My name is Khan."

I know but I mean the way he delivered it coupled with his face and the eerie music.
Fair enough. After reading your initial post, I was expecting some elaborate reveal where he releases the information through small bits that Kirk has to piece together or something. :P

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »
Saw the movie last night in IMAX 3D.. this was the first Star Trek anything ive ever actually watched and it was realllllly fucking good imo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
 :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
Saw the movie last night in IMAX 3D.. this was the first Star Trek anything ive ever actually watched and it was realllllly fucking good imo.

You should see the previous film next then.

Then " The Wrath of Khan " and finally " The Undiscovered Country. "

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »
Damn. There are so many bits that are so much more enjoyable if you know your Trek-verse.
(Informative post for Scurby)

Back in 1967, an episode aired called "Space Seed." The Enterprise found a drifting ship containing cryo-tubes, which contained Khan plus 72 of his crew members. Khan wakes his crew and tries to take over the Enterprise, but Kirk gives him an ass-whoopin'. Kirk decides to exile Khan and his crew on an abandoned planet called Ceti Alpha V, where Khan is free to start his own "kingdom."

Which leads us to the movie "Wrath of Khan." Perhaps still the greatest Star Trek movie of all time. The entire movie is basically a cat-and-mouse match between Kirk and Khan, as Khan tries to get revenge for being stranded on the desolate planet (a nearby planet exploded, rendering Khan's home a hostile environment). There's another subplot that is good in the movie, but really not worth mentioning here.

Also, after watching Into Darkness, this might look a bit familiar to you: (It's spoilery if you plan on watching Wrath of Khan)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntrmRExwS7M
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:33:21 PM by MetalJunkie »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 08:25:45 PM »
Since when did The Wrath Of Khan come out in 1991 ? :P

1991 was The Undiscovered Country.

Same Director, mind.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »
I'm going to see this tomorrow afternoon. I am excite.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 09:25:38 PM »
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/joke-jj-abrams-lens-flares-simon-pegg-fck.html

Totally hilarious. Simon Pegg responds to JJ's 'lens flare' critics.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »
Pegg is so fucking intelligent and well-spoken, it's unbelievable.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »
Just got out of the theater. I don't know, I didn't like it as much as the first. Mostly, I think, because of the reenactment of the Kirk-Spock death scene. It just made a gimmick out of a scene that defined Star Trek.
Thing is also, I really like Cumberbatch as an actor. But he's not Khan. The original Khan was oozing a superiority complex and that was exactly what became his downfall. This new Khan just seemed mindlessly violent.
And, too much action. The plot was scattered between minute-long scenes of CGI and fist fights.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:36:35 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »
Just got out of the theater. I don't know, I didn't like it as much as the first. Mostly, I think, because of the reenactment of the Kirk-Spock death scene. It just made a gimmick out of a scene that defined Star Trek.
Also, too much action.
I expected that scene to be controversial. I liked it. Like I mentioned above, I think it shows that certain aspects and moments of their friendship are unavoidable, no matter the timeline. But I get your take on it, too. Definitely see how it could be construed as a cop-out or gimmick.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »
Especially the fact that they had Spock do the Khan yell was not good. IMHO.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »
I thought that was awesome.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:31 AM »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention this! The number one type of movie death that gives me shudders (and I absolutely cannot watch) is someone's head getting crushed or smashed. The scene with the mace in Braveheart? Have to close my eyes. I actually have made a point to avoid Inglorious Basterds because I'm aware of a scene that depicts exactly this. Most violence I can tolerate; I'm not sure why it's such a touchy issue for me. Now I know it was only implied in Star Trek, but damn them for putting the imagery in my head. Had to go all out with the squishes and crunches. *shudder*

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2013, 02:17:50 AM »
Someone's head got smashed? I don't remember that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2013, 04:34:37 AM »
Someone's head got smashed? I don't remember that.

It was Robocop who got his head crushed. They didn't show it on screen, but they showed Carol's reaction scream. It was pretty cool. DAT CRUNCH!

Thing is also, I really like Cumberbatch as an actor. But he's not Khan. The original Khan was oozing a superiority complex and that was exactly what became his downfall. This new Khan just seemed mindlessly violent.
And, too much action. The plot was scattered between minute-long scenes of CGI and fist fights.

Mostly this.
I didn't buy a pasty white British guy as Khan Noonien Sigh for a second. He made a very good villain, but he did not make a good Khan. Unfortunately it's hard to ignore it when the entire plot hinges on the fact he's Khan. I love how the big reveal had absolutely no impact, since Kirk obviously has no clue who he is.

Overall an enjoyable movie, if you know absolutely nothing about Star Trek or science, as neither the writers or JJ did. Despite a lot of improvement in certain areas, it was another big mindless action movie. And don't get me wrong, it was an excellent mindless action movie! But still flawed in many of the same ways as the first.

They did greatly improve the characters overall, and utilize them a lot better than the first one. Having Scotty head straight to the bar was fun, and having him leave because of his professional pride in maintaining the ship and the safety of the crew was believable, especially after it was justified.
Spock's quote of "the needs of the many etc" was kind of shoehorned in though. He wasn't saving anyone by sacrificing himself. He was just avoiding contaminating a culture. Why all the BS about upholding the Prime Directive, when the very reason he was going to die was because he'd already violated the Prime Directive? wtf? And hiding the Enterprise under water? Really?

"Dear Lord, that's over 150 atmospheres of pressure!"
"How many atmopsheres can the ship withstand?"
"Well, it's a spaceship, so I'd say anywhere between 0 and 1."

Kirk was definitely improved, especially with a lot more attempted dynamic with Spock and Bones. You could see they tried to play their development off each other to establish that. It didn't always work, but it was a lot better than in the first movie.

The Klingon ships looked badass, as did their costumes, but they ruined their look just as badly as they messed up the Romulans in the last one. In fact, they basically just made them look like the Romulans. Does JJ have to make every single bad guy alien look like a bald goblin with piercings and pointed ears? I would have kept the helmet on too.

The references were a mixed back. It was neat seeing the Enterprise ring ship from TMP (and it looked exactly like the more recent model from the SOTL calendar), and the NX-01, and the reference to Section 31 was ok (even though I hated the entire section 31 storyline even in DS9). The tribble was very forced in there though, as even if they did know about tribbles at this point, they would have learned better than to have even one on board. At least they didn't change them. It was a furry ball that had the same sound effect.

The rehashed TWOK scenes were a bit of a facepalm. It's not that they did them badly, but it was a mere shadow of TWOK, a movie where these characters had developed a strong friendship over so long. They did use it as a good turning point in the developing friendship between new Kirk and new Spock though.

Which brings me back to the awful science of the movie. So Kirk had to climb into this giant spherical generic scifi room to "realign" the thingy that was out of whack by kicking it repeatedly. I love the precision engineering of this ship, and the ease of access. How did this thingy even get misaligned? If it's something that radioactive and dangerous, you'd hope it's a bit more well constructed than "oops, it fell out" and "eh that's about the right spot".
And I'd love to know how the writers think artificial gravity works, I really would. The ship didn't seem to be close enough for the screwed gravity to be from the planet. The ship was hurtling too randomly for me to believe it was due to the acceleration of the ship. It was just "whatever the hell direction we need it to be in".

And that new ship was ridiculous. I'm not even going to touch the Iron Man scene with the shooting right into the port as it's de-pressurizing and throwing a guy out.

And what is with JJ's love for blowing shit up? It kind of lessens the impact when every single scene is destroying the Enterprise, or destroying all of Starfleet, or killing off every single Captain, etc. It just keeps going.

And at what point did they upgrade the Enterprise's warp engines to shit glitter? Twinkle twinkle little starship, how I wonder what they were thinking......

Khan's magical healing blood that revives people from the dead, and cures cancer and radiation and herpes........ riiiiiiiight...........

Anyway, more to say, but that's all I has time for now. Overall I did enjoy the movie, more than it seems from me focusing on the bad here, but it lacked the intelligence and optimism that I like to see in Star Trek. For a Hollywood blockbuster movie though, it's a movie I'd definitely watch again (not at the movies though). The CG was incredible, and some of the most seamless I've seen. And overall I'd say the movie was a bit better than the last, and I've watched that movie several times.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 05:28:04 AM »
And at what point did they upgrade the Enterprise's warp engines to shit glitter? Twinkle twinkle little starship, how I wonder what they were thinking......

There is very much what you said I don't agree with, but concerning this we're on the same page.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 06:11:52 AM »
Pegg is so fucking intelligent and well-spoken, it's unbelievable.

On Twitter he said that he was overdubbing all the swear words for The World's End and it was taking ages.

I suggested maybe he not swear so much.

His reply ?

" Fuck off. "

Lovely man.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:06 AM »
Blob seemed to like it a lot more than I thought he would !

I'm surprised as I thought he would tear it to shreds.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2013, 06:21:13 AM »

There is very much what you said I don't agree with, but concerning this we're on the same page.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was at least consistent with what they already established, but the same ship didn't do that at all in the last movie. It was just a "because we can" type effect. Other than that, the warp shots were cool. I just could have done without the glitter and sparkle sound effects.
I forgot to mention, I was digging the new communicators too.

And another thing..... how exactly does a dangerous nut from 300 years ago help build an advanced warship? There was nothing on that ship that he could have given useful input to. It was all technology, nothing to do with tactics and ruthlessness like he said. Very contrived.
And why would you even let him know where you're building such an advanced warship? It doesn't seem they even kept Khan restrained or locked up before that point, and even the most basic profiling would make it clear that they did everything wrong letting him that close to the project. Secrecy was likely their most important defense, since Scotty flew straight in with a plain old shuttlecraft from the Enterprise with no resistance.

Blob seemed to like it a lot more than I thought he would !

I'm surprised as I thought he would tear it to shreds.

I enjoyed the last one too. But it's possible to like something while still having things I dislike too. I even liked The Final Frontier, and that movie is awful.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2013, 06:24:58 AM »
We don't know for definite that it was the exact same Enterprise. They may have upgraded the engines.

If you look closely at the impulse engine on the back of the saucer at the end of ...Into Darkness...it's a new version.

I liked the warp effect - vapour trails included. It was kind of an update of the effect from TMP.

Despite JJ saying this film is mostly "fun" - I thought it was obviously a lot more serious in tone.

And Scotty's character was a lot better this time around. Not *just* the comic relief.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2013, 06:35:10 AM »
We don't know for definite that it was the exact same Enterprise. They may have upgraded the engines.

If you look closely at the impulse engine on the back of the saucer at the end of ...Into Darkness...it's a new version.

I liked the warp effect - vapour trails included. It was kind of an update of the effect from TMP.

Despite JJ saying this film is mostly "fun" - I thought it was obviously a lot more serious in tone.

And Scotty's character was a lot better this time around. Not *just* the comic relief.

Maybe they did upgrade the engines. I still think it's a lame effect regardless though. :lol

Agreed on the last two points. I didn't get a fun tone from this film overall. It's darker and more serious than the last one for sure. A lot of people getting killed, or seriously injured, and a lot of serious character moments, and more personal. Even though they blew up Vulcan in the last one, that was a fair bit into the movie, and it was kind of impersonal.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure Star Trek was a PG certificate whilst this one was 12A which maks it the most adult star trek since TWOK - which was a 15 certificate in the uk ( back in 1982 ).

I loved the opening scene on Nibiru. I think it's fun seeing Enterprise in places where it's not supposed to be.

One of my favourite scenes was definitely Vengeance ploughing into San Francisco. I like how - just before it hits the water you can see how enormous it really is. Then the saucer section up-ends and is knocking over buildings.

It was amazing in IMAX !

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2013, 07:31:26 AM »
One of my favourite scenes was definitely Vengeance ploughing into San Francisco. I like how - just before it hits the water you can see how enormous it really is. Then the saucer section up-ends and is knocking over buildings.

Yes, that was really cool. Like you said, it was awesome to see how freaking large these starships really are. You always see them blasting around superfast in space with no real reference to measure sizes by. But to see a ship out of place like that and when that thing stood up and just dwarfed the skyscrapers was a powerful sight.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2013, 07:35:36 AM »
Amazing. And tracked back as well so you can actually see what's going on instead of it being a blue of movement Michael Bay style.

I might have to try and edit that scene as Bay would have directed it - just zoom in the whole time :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2013, 07:43:33 AM »

If you look to the bottom left of this pic you can see a tiny wee ship to compare it to !

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »
I think they still can't make up their mind on the correct scale of the ships. The size of that ship was ridiculous, especially compared to an already ridiculously sized Enterprise. I didn't like that scene either. It was more senseless destruction. Then cut to the ending with the Enterprise fixed, and all of the buildings looking just fine. So what was the point?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
I am hearing it sucks. I tend to believe that from the reasons why. No story, just lots of effects. I liked the last one and I am not a big Star Trek fan in general.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi