Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]  (Read 26514 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
I've been watching a lot of TNG on NetFlix recently and I have to say that Cumberbatch's Khan really reminds me of Lore.

I don't mean that in a bad way - Cumberbatch is amazing in it but there are certain moments.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
Finally saw it. It as good (borderline great)... I have a love hate thing for following the Khan story (and I find some of the blatant throwbacks kinda annoying..)

The thing that pisses me off though...  new Klingons...

Wow, really?   I thought they were *completely...bad...ass*!   My wife and I (she's a 1st Gen trekkie, I'm 2nd) both thought they were really great, and we're hoping that the 3rd movie will feature the new Klingons as the main bad guys.   Maybe even bring back the character of KANG....

[the mask] SOMEBODY STOP ME!!! [/the mask]
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
I didn't mind the Klingons. Chang in STVI was nothing like other Klingons so I think JJ is also allowed some leeway.

A Klingon war movie could be cool for Trek 3 - but what I really want is a wormhole / messed up physics movie like the TNG epiosde

" Where Silence Has Lease. "

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »
I loved both Abrams films.   :hefdaddy

Of the earlier films, only Wrath of Khan & Insurrection stand out as ones I could describe to anyone.  But I liked them both.

Confession: I am not a Trekkie by any extent of any imagination.   :blush  Didn't follow any of any of the TV series.  I do, however, like a good sci-fi story.  To me, a good film will not depend upon my knowing all the backstory first, although I know it helps.    ;) I also don't have anyone to explain things to me (on my own, here).

The new Trek films were like that to me.  They feel fresh and new.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
Finally saw it. It as good (borderline great)... I have a love hate thing for following the Khan story (and I find some of the blatant throwbacks kinda annoying..)

The JJ Klingons are terrible. It's like JJ wants every race to be generic bald goblins. A race can look cool without being some bald pierced bikey gang.
Hopefully they're not used in the next movie, because I'm hoping they can at least make it 1/3 with a half decent bad guy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »

The JJ Klingons are terrible. It's like JJ wants every race to be generic bald goblins. A race can look cool without being some bald pierced bikey gang.
Hopefully they're not used in the next movie, because I'm hoping they can at least make it 1/3 with a half decent bad guy.

THANK YOU
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
Saw this last week and was blown away, even better than the first.

Not being a big trekkie at all I do plan to go back and watch The Wrath of Khan sometime soon.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
OK, wife and I made a trip to the theater to see this film.

Our collective reaction was somewhere between "meh" and "OK"

I thought the first one was better.

I won't go back to the theater for any subsequent films.  I don't see the point in spending the money.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
i'll let JJ know you didn't like it and to stop all future films.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »

I do believe he meant going to the movie theatre in general... for any movie.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
OK, wife and I made a trip to the theater to see this film.

Our collective reaction was somewhere between "meh" and "OK"

I thought the first one was better.

I won't go back to the theater for any subsequent films.  I don't see the point in spending the money.

Side opinion:  I tell ya, for as few movies as I EVER want to see, some of them deserve the "Big Screen" treatment, IMO.  Namely, your space/sci-fi/blowing up films.   :metal  Or epic scenery types like Lord of the Rings and such.  Some are just a bit better as a more immersive experience.  :)

If I spend $50 a year on theater tix, that's saying a lot.  Otherwise DVD for me!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »
:iagree:

I don't think I'd ever go see a drama or comedy in the theatre.  Sci-fi and Fantasy for sure.  Action... possibly.  And some are only worthy of the $5 Tuesday treatment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »
Yeah, unless it's something I'm really looking forward to (Super Troopers 2 if it ever happens) or I'm kinda dragged to it I only go to theaters for action/sci-fi/whatever films that the big screen really enhances.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online faizoff

« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »
On occasion I've found it enjoyable watching dialogue driven movies in the theater. Often I only like to see big budget action movies on the big screen and reserve the comedies/dramas for home viewing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
Up to $412 Million so far. Good, good, good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »
Up to $412 Million so far. Good, good, good.

And it has yet to even open in 5 or 6 territories. :)

I predict big things :)

It is outperforming the 2009 movie  in every territory ! It made in 5 weeks what Star Trek 2009 made in 5 months...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

:angry: I did not like A Dramatic Turn Of Events. I will therefore no longer be listening to any CD by any band from now on.

Shame on you music, Thought you had my back ! Shame on you !

And as for only going to cinema to see stuff blow up / outer space stuff etc. That's where films like Prometheus and Into Darkness are BEST experienced. The scene of vengeance crashing in San Fran would be totally lost on a TV screen. on a massive cinema screen it looks awesome.

I don't go to the cinema to see Driving Mis Daisy - that gains nothing from being on a massive screen.

Offline sueño

« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »
Yep!

Sadly, I missed "Prometheus" in the theater.  :(  It's in the Netflix queue, though.

And I have a big TV with a massive sound system.   :metal   It'll have to do.  ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:49 PM »
:iagree:

I don't think I'd ever go see a drama or comedy in the theatre.  Sci-fi and Fantasy for sure.  Action... possibly.  And some are only worthy of the $5 Tuesday treatment.

It really depends on the drama or comedy.   I mean, ya...if it's something like "Hot Tub Time Machine" then ya...you wait until the TBS premier. 

But I've actually REALLY enjoyed going to some of the independent comedies and dramas I've been seeing in smaller theaters lately.   

I saw The Sapphires I saw at a little hole in the wall theater.   I'm 43 years old, and I was the youngest person in the entire crowd.  It was a really cool theater with a bunch of chandeliers that retract into the ceiling when the movie starts. 

I saw Quartet at a smaller old school "multiplex" (I think they had 4 screens).  Again, my wife and I were the youngest people there.  Both of these shows were sold out and not a seat left in the house....but with no one younger than 40 in the audience, you would not BELIEVE how well behaved everyone was.

And then I saw Starbuck (a French Canadian comedy, and seriously one of the funniest movies I've ever seen) at a downtown Seattle multiplex, and there were only about a dozen or so very well behaved people there.

This has all been in the last 3 or 4 months, and they were some of the best movie going experiences I've ever had.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sueño

« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
That's why I only go to the 21+ theaters!   :tup

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #230 on: June 18, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »

:angry: I did not like A Dramatic Turn Of Events. I will therefore no longer be listening to any CD by any band from now on.

Shame on you music, Thought you had my back ! Shame on you !

And as for only going to cinema to see stuff blow up / outer space stuff etc. That's where films like Prometheus and Into Darkness are BEST experienced. The scene of vengeance crashing in San Fran would be totally lost on a TV screen. on a massive cinema screen it looks awesome.
I think I would say, so? You seem to take offense to someone not going to the theater or not valuing it. I typically consider a trip to the movie theater a waste of money unless it's with someone else or is some special occasion. I haven't been to a movie theater in over three years, and only maybe 3 in the five or six year preceding that. I don't miss it at all, and the last one I went to was a major disappointment. After that my I've had next to zero desire to put my money down, again. I've thought about seeing Into Darkness, but after sitting on it for a day or two I just no longer wanted fork the money over. I'll watch eventually, but not until I can stream it free as part of a subscription service I already have.

Your responses come off as though you think siskosearwax threw off movie theaters out of the blue because of this movie, instead of maybe just making a rare visit. I don't know what his situation is, but the only thing coming off as unreasonable in all of this is you. He apparently doesn't agree with you about the movie or the value of movie theaters. So what? Why harass his comments?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2013, 08:42:20 AM »
Yeah, Kowtowboy, you know, it's almost like you're offended that some people didn't enjoy the film. 

It just didn't really do much for me.  I didn't get up and walk out our anything.  I just wan't all that impressed with it, generally speaking.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: June 18, 2013, 09:11:01 AM »
Yeah, Kowtowboy, you know, it's almost like you're offended that some people didn't enjoy the film.

Been thinking this for days now.

Offline sueño

« Reply #233 on: June 18, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
I think I would say, so? You seem to take offense to someone not going to the theater or not valuing it. I typically consider a trip to the movie theater a waste of money unless it's with someone else or is some special occasion.

Just commenting on this bit.  I don't have anyone to go to the theater with.  :(  However, I consider it a treat to myself to go see a first-run flick every now and again.  God knows I sit at home watching the telly on my own quite enough.   :-\

It's getting myself out of the house -- a date with myself.  Plus my theater serves full-on dinner, drinks, etc.  It's an escape.  :)

Now -- back to bickering!  :D

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
Just to be clear, I don't have any problem with people who do not consider a waste of money. We each have our things, that's all. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »

Been thinking this for days now.

Only if they have inane reasons for not liking it or whatever.

Oh I didn't like it - i'm never going to a cinema ever again ! :lol

I go to the cinema as often as I can afford it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #236 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »
You're skewing comments to laugh at people. Classy. When faced with an unreasonable interpretation of a post, maybe you should try to understand what was being said better, instead of being a dick.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
Calls someone a dick.

Is A dick. :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: June 18, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
How is saying " I didn't enjoy this film - i'm never going to the cinema again - i won't waste the money "

any different from saying

" i didn't like X band's new album - i'm never spending money on music again. "

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: June 18, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »
It's more like

I bought the super deluxe version of ADTOE on the day it came out and I really didn't like it... So next album cycle I'm just going to pick up the standard edition in a month or so when I have the extra cash / I am never going to pre order / buy an album on release day again.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »
It's more like

I bought the super deluxe version of ADTOE on the day it came out and I really didn't like it... So next album cycle I'm just going to pick up the standard edition in a month or so when I have the extra cash / I am never going to pre order / buy an album on release day again.

Yep, pretty much nailed it.  I stopped going to the theater to see movies quite a few years ago.  Made a few exceptions in the last couple of years thinking maybe I was missing out on something, but after seeing "The Dark Knight" and now "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and not being overly thrilled with them, I simply expressed my opinion about the movie and commented that I thought I'd probably just save my money next time and go back to viewing them in the comfort of my home theater. 

Quite humorous, though, that anyone is getting bent out of shape over whether or not I go to the theater to view movies  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »
It's more like

Yep, pretty much nailed it.  I stopped going to the theater to see movies quite a few years ago.  Made a few exceptions in the last couple of years thinking maybe I was missing out on something, but after seeing "The Dark Knight" and now "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and not being overly thrilled with them, I simply expressed my opinion about the movie and commented that I thought I'd probably just save my money next time and go back to viewing them in the comfort of my home theater. 

Quite humorous, though, that anyone is getting bent out of shape over whether or not I go to the theater to view movies  :lol

Besides, some of us have home theaters that can put the local Cinema to shame!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: June 18, 2013, 11:56:24 AM »
JJ ABRAMS IS IN HIS MANSION IN TEARS BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT SEE STAR TREK 3.

:'( Y U DO DIS TO TEH ABRAMSSSSSSSSSSSSSS?? OMG IDEK

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 18, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
It's more like

Besides, some of us have home theaters that can put the local Cinema to shame!
I saw Hangover III in a little 4 screen 5 dollar theater... the screens were so small that we woulda had the same affect watching it at Panda's dad's house. His system is sweeeeet

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »

This, totally.

I just don't understand how you can tap into one of the richest species (culture-wise) of Star Trek, and then decide to just fuck with everything that had been established up to that point and just reinvent them.

Like, what the fuck is this?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:25:11 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."