Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]  (Read 26516 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »
INB4 Millenium Falcon faster than Enterprise OLL..

How is the Planet Express ship faster than Enterprise ?  :lol:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »
I'd say I liked it just as much as the last one. I'm not so sure I enjoyed the "homage" to the WOK ending and especially Quinto doing "KHAAN", although Quinto really stepped up his game as Spock. Cumberbatch was the awesome here!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
I actually liked the Khaaaaaan!!

Spock had a lot of emotion boiling up throughout the film.

I'll have to wait for the DVD to see how it holds up over time.

I definitely don't think it'll hold up to repeated viewings as well as ST09 or some of the classics but I think it's definitely better than

most sequels. Iron Man 2 for example.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51:24 PM »
God yes

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »
I loved Iron Man but when I watched the second one I was like  :( the hell is this ? It's just set pieces and barely any story.

The most I could work out of the plot was - the US govt wanted the Iron Man suits and Sam Rockwell was conspiring with the villain ( who is in it for like 5 mins - beats Iron Man once and gets defeated almost immediately the second time ).

I just didn't enjoy it at all. It definitely suffered from the sequel syndrome of "MOAR IS BETTA".

The thread of Tony Starks friend putting on a suit and fighting with him didn't lead anywhere except to do that one move against the villain at the end.

Eh. :P

Back to Star Trek Into Darkness ! ;D

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »
I'm mixed on this one. Things happened way too fast, never really got a chance to breathe. It was like the whole movie was from one crisis to another, and before you knew it, the movie was over.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
As much as I loved it - I'm hoping that overall it's the least of the trilogy.

Now they've done their "dark second instalment" - they can bring back the fun and adventure for the third one.

And with any luck it will be out in 2016 for the 50th anniversary of Trek.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2013, 11:19:18 PM »
I can do without the "fun and andventure" if it's at the cost of a more dark tone. Usually with me it's the darker the better no matter which movie.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2013, 05:16:10 AM »
I for one am sick of the "darker is more mature" mentality. Enough deconstruction; I want to see someone successfully handle reconstruction.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »
Just got home from seeing it, and I loved it. I also find it nearly impossible to compare it to the 2009 movie----apples and oranges.  I really loved the nods to the original series and the reworking of the plot. Lastly, the performances across the board were stellar.  9/10. Movie of the summer so far.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
I for one am sick of the "darker is more mature" mentality. Enough deconstruction; I want to see someone successfully handle reconstruction.

This. Just as in music, it is a lot easier to write a sad song than a happy song.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2013, 12:01:59 AM »
Just got back from my first viewing at IMAX. Genuinely excellent movie in its entirety! Got a chill when the Klingon took his helmet off. Actually, that entire scene involving Kronos was awesome. I'm pumped for the next one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2013, 12:15:44 AM »

This. Just as in music, it is a lot easier to write a sad song than a happy song.

Which is probably why every modern pop song I hear seems to be some lazy minor key song with a vocal melody that just sticks with the minor third and the root note. GAH.
And I'm sick of the dark fad in movies right now. I hated TDK, and I avoid any movie that looks like it wants to be TDK (which is apparently every single comic book movie made since). I like fun!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:44 AM »
Even though I agree it has become something of a tired fad in movies, I'd still take a dark movie over a "fun" (in lack of better word) every day of the week. But that doesn't mean I like movies where everything is depressing, like Melancholia. A dark movie still needs some light parts to balance it.

But I'd much rather have the overall dark themed movies of today than go back to movie goofyness that the later parts of the 1900-hundreds had.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »
I don't like the dark movie fad, because movies just blend together into sameyness to me these days. It's just becoming uninspired and cliche to the point where I haven't been interested in Hollywood movies for probably a decade now, aside from the occasional franchise I'm already a fan of, like Trek, which I'll go to see regardless of whether they cast a British guy to play Khan, or cast Will Smith to play the Gorn. And the spirit of TOS was mostly quite light and fun.
All movies I've watched recently have been either older movies, or foreign movies, and they're so much more enjoyable and unpredictable to me. But to each his own.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »

Which is probably why every modern pop song I hear seems to be some lazy minor key song with a vocal melody that just sticks with the minor third and the root note. GAH.
And I'm sick of the dark fad in movies right now. I hated TDK, and I avoid any movie that looks like it wants to be TDK (which is apparently every single comic book movie made since). I like fun!

And then Lady Gaga is hailed as a genius when she puts in a diminished fifth or minor second :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
I don't like the dark movie fad, because movies just blend together into sameyness to me these days. It's just becoming uninspired and cliche to the point where I haven't been interested in Hollywood movies for probably a decade now, aside from the occasional franchise I'm already a fan of, like Trek, which I'll go to see regardless of whether they cast a British guy to play Khan, or cast Will Smith to play the Gorn. And the spirit of TOS was mostly quite light and fun.
All movies I've watched recently have been either older movies, or foreign movies, and they're so much more enjoyable and unpredictable to me. But to each his own.

Yeah - you know going into a Star Trek movie that it will *at least* be a fun ride and the darkness will be offset with a lot of humour and there will normally be a positive denouement - even if you have to go through a lot of negatives to get there.

Hell- for all of it's flaws - even The Final Frontier had a plethora of laugh-out-loud moments that make it worthwhile.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »
Additional - there is a furore on the interent now that showing Alice Eve in her underwear is sexist.

Quite forgetting that :

a.) Kirk was shown with his shirt off earlier in the movie.

b.) Alice Eve was playing a science officer AND weapons expert. NOT " Hair and Pony expert. "

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »

Yeah - you know going into a Star Trek movie that it will *at least* be a fun ride and the darkness will be offset with a lot of humour and there will normally be a positive denouement - even if you have to go through a lot of negatives to get there.

Hell- for all of it's flaws - even The Final Frontier had a plethora of laugh-out-loud moments that make it worthwhile.

The Final Frontier is nothing but laugh out loud moments. :lol

Alice Eve's underwear scene was an extremely blatant excuse to show a hot chick half naked, but I don't think I'd say it was sexist. I may be slightly biased by the fact I enjoyed it though. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
I just took it as a way of showing that Kirk still hadn't grown out of his womanising ways. Or just a brief [  no pun intended ] comedy moment.

It lasts like 2 seconds whereas Michael Bay's Transformers movies are nothing but leery posterior shots .

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
I just took it as a way of showing that Kirk still hadn't grown out of his womanising ways. Or just a brief [  no pun intended ] comedy moment.

It lasts like 2 seconds whereas Michael Bay's Transformers movies are nothing but leery posterior shots .

Do you really have to dump shit on Transformers/Michael Bay every single post just because you can? If you have to compare a movie to Transformers to make your point, you're doing a bad job anyway. :lol

And that scene was there to show a girl half naked. Nothing more, nothing less. Heck, it was even more blatant than anything in Transformers, and 2 and 3 both started with close-up ass shots.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
I really wanna go see STID again but I'm not sure my wallet will allow it :lol

I might see If I can take some stuff to the 2nd hand shop to get enough £ for a ticket ;D

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
Had no problem with that scene. Not just because "oh hell yeah bewbs n' stuff". Even though I agree with Blob about it being there to show some female undies it didn't upset me or anything, it actually does fit Kirk's character to look back. That she had to change just behind Kirk in the first place though is.. yeah.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »

Do you really have to dump shit on Transformers/Michael Bay every single post just because you can? If you have to compare a movie to Transformers to make your point, you're doing a bad job anyway. :lol
Lay off, he likes to go after Iron Man 2, as well.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »
The movie was great...until the last 5 minutes of the film. So much build up, and it just...ended....there was no pay off. The best way I can describe is going on a roller coaster, experiencing the flips, barrel rolls, zips, and all the fun entities of a coaster, and then you get to that lift where the big drop is...you keep going up and about drop...and then you stop.

That being said, I can overlook it with all the other good things about the movie, but that ending bugs the hell out of me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2013, 02:12:48 AM »
Yes, a more monumental ending would have boosted this movie even further for sure.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
So, according to imdb this was one of the other guys in the running to play Khan before they went with pale British man. I would have seriously raised my rating of this movie by at least a full point if this guy was Khan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_v9H-Rk0s4o#t=14s

But then JJ couldn't have chuckled to himself that he cleverly fooled everyone by creating the most vague and generic bad guy he could and calling him Khan, the most iconic and recognizable bad guy in Trek history...

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
wait wait wait.

People are complaining about a disregard for basic physics in a Star Trek movie? Like, really?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »
Does the Enterprise not have radiation suits on board, in the crazy event that maybe the warp core gets damaged in a battle?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
wait wait wait.

People are complaining about a disregard for basic physics in a Star Trek movie? Like, really?

I'm the guy that laughed at the notion of science in Star Trek in the other thread. I got your back here.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
Star Trek has better science than a lot of sci fi that's for sure but it's still science fiction. :)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
But I'd much rather have the overall dark themed movies of today than go back to movie goofyness that the later parts of the 1900-hundreds had.

I wouldn't mind a return of the innocent optimism of the Golden Age Hollywood movies. That's what TOS was all about.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Also, armed forces government (Federation) having it's women where short skirts, skin tight suits?!  Sign me up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
The Federation was not supposed to be military I think. Only Starfleet. But, that delineation was always very wishy-washy. Star Trek always felt like this.