Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]  (Read 26518 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »
Feel free to discuss the movie here with spoilers and all and leave the other thread just for general Star Trek chat.

I can't wait ! Just over a week now til I see it :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness [ Spoilers ]
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 02:04:46 AM »
I thought i'd be more disappointed at the [Big Villain News]... But I'm really not.

I'm excited to see what they do with it.

It's been so long since the last film [ Almost exactly 4 years ] that I just wanna watch it now.

I wish I was the type of person who could ignore trailers and clips but I get too excited .

I'd never ever ever watch a screener though. The first time I see the film will be in the IMAX on release day.

I'd never watch it filmed on a camera in the cinema.

Anyway. Can't wait to see all the key scenes. Especially all the Starship stuff. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:37:51 AM »
Dang I get more and more excited with every little snippet.

I shouldn't watch them but I can't stahp ! :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
Sexy new Poster :

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, but I probably won't see it until it comes out on BluRay.   Haven't gone to the theater in, oh, I dunno, probably a decade.  Don't care to go back now either. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
 :omg: But it's Star Trek !

All the reviews are giving it 4/5 and saying that at worst - it's just as good as the last one and in some scenes it even exceeds it.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:14:01 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »
Looking forward to it, saw the first one on cinema and absolutely loved it. I hope this is just as good or better.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
What does "select footage captured by IMAX" mean? Only some scenes actually utilize IMAX technology and the rest is just normal movie theater?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »
Basically that yes.

Some scenes shot with IMAX cameras ( bigger negative ) whilst the rest is classic 24fps anamorphic film.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Are most IMAX versions of movies like that? I get that it's likely a cost thing, but I think I might be upset if I went to an IMAX showing and it wasn't primarily IMAX film. Maybe for IMAX lovers its not a big deal. :dunno:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 06:13:04 AM »
IMAX screens are enormous. You're paying for the massive immersive screen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
Are most IMAX versions of movies like that? I get that it's likely a cost thing, but I think I might be upset if I went to an IMAX showing and it wasn't primarily IMAX film. Maybe for IMAX lovers its not a big deal. :dunno:

Not at all, it's still amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »
 :metal Yay !!

Won a  ticket to see Star Trek Into Darkness a day early !! Now going to see it on Wednesday AND Thursday :)

oo !

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:11:42 AM »
Holy shit I think I just connected some dots. Though I'm sure someone beat me to it.

[SPOILARZ]

Kirk: Name one good reason I should trust you.
Sherlock: There are 72 of them and they are aboard your ship.

In "Space Seed," the landing party finds a cargo of 84 humans, 72 of whom are still alive and brought back to the Enterprise.

Also, a few weeks ago I dreamed Into Darkness was a 'roided up Space Seed.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 02:48:32 AM »
Yeah the cat is pretty much out of the bag anyway now.

Even IMDB has changed Cumberbatch's character from Rumoured to confirmed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 01:58:30 PM »
Three hours til I see it !!!!  :eek  :zydar:

And when it's done i'm going to London the same day to see it again in 3d IMAX...

I'll write a report here :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

Dear God I love Star trek.

Vengeance ploughing into San Francisco was worth waiting two hours for :P

I love big epic crash scenes in movies. I loved the one in Prometheus. This one probably tops it.

- Blob probably won't like this film.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:21:50 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 05:44:06 AM »
 :omg: :tup

Offline yorost

• Inactive

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
It's a fantastic movie. Totally different in feel to the first one.

The first film was a lot more upbeat and triumphant whereas this one is a lot more sinister throughout.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

+ Benedict is just an outstanding villain. What he can do with his voice and facial expressions are just extraordinary. In Sherlock he's this  quiet genius but in Star Trek Into Darkness he just exudes pure evil.

The way he reveals his [true identity] to Kirk is just amazing. I thought [that bit] would be cheesy and lame but it was performed perfectly by Benedict.

+ i know already people on here are going to have a problem with *the ending* - even i'm not 100% sure on how I feel about it.

It's either a loving homage to an earlier movie / putting a spin on a classic scene ... or it's just a cop-out.

Right now I like it but I will definitely understand if others do not .

TL;DR : It's a hugely entertaining space adventure with amazing visuals and set pieces that at times doesn't live up to the first film but at other moments it exceeds it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:14:18 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
I accidentally read some spoilers about the end. I think I'm okay with it as long as it doesn't feel forced. My question is: is there any "cat and mouse" in this movie? The end of TWoK felt like a chess match. I want that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
Let's just say there is more of it than there was in Nemesis.

There's a period at the end of the film where the two ships are disabled and they're both trying to figure out their next move.

It's not a tense battle of wits like in TWOK but it's certainly not a 5 second battle in a nebula like in Nemesis.

As per the ending you mentioned I think it's handled very well and if anything feels like a loving homage rather than a knock-off.

It's emotional and performed well.

Also - you know exactly what Spock is going to say ;) .. I was not looking forward to it but it actually works well.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
Hmm. I'm not sure if I feel like they've known each other long enough for Spock to convince me with that line. If it's the line I think you're talking about.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
Is this a spoiler thread, can someone spoil what you two are talkinga bout in detail?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
HUGE SPOILERS BELOW !!!!

Cumberbatch is playing Khan and takes control of a huge secret starfleet defence ship. He disables the Enterprise and ]The Enterprise core goes out of alignment so Kirk has to go inside the core to realign it. He dies of radiation and his last conversation is with Spock who says he is having trouble controlling his feelings. Kirk dies infront of him and Spock yells out Khans name but it's really not as awful as it sounds as the scene is interrupted by Khan's ship zooming past as it hurtles towards earth.

Meanwhile - Bones finds out that Khan's blood has restorative properties and orders Spock to bring back Khan to the ship.

Kirk wakes up in hospital.

SPOILERS END

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
Huh, it does sound like it would be bad. If they pulled it off without it being distractive, big time kudos to them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
Like I said - it doesn't feel like a lazy knock-off. It's performed well. That's pretty much the only scene that is borrowed from an earlier film.

It is it's own movie up until then and after then too.

but I can imagine BlobVanDam flat out hating that scene. But then again he may surprise me. ;D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »
Caught it today. Not a Trekkie at all - loved the previous film, but only watched it once, in the cinema, so... yes, four years ago! Loved this one, too. Possibly moreso. Didn't know Benedict's character, but knew his significance, and knew his name was notoriously yellable. Enjoyed that they actually did it.

Regeneration clever, well set-up. Family theme laid on with a trowel, a bit, but not irritating. Couple of bits where I lost plot threads, usually in the midst of rapidfire exposition, but I caught up as the story wore on. Good film. Great film. Really liked it. 10/10 feels generous, 9/10 a little mean. Let's say 5/5.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
Just saw it tonight, will sleep on it and then comment my thoughts here tomorrow   :coolio

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
Glad ya liked it Rob !

I'm seeing it for the THIRD TIME on Wednesday . It's just that good.

;D ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »

Family theme laid on with a trowel, a bit, but not irritating. Couple of bits where I lost plot threads, usually in the midst of rapidfire exposition, but I caught up as the story wore on. Good film. Great film. Really liked it. 10/10 feels generous, 9/10 a little mean. Let's say 5/5.

The most important thing is - it has Plot threads for you to get lost in!  Unlike Transforemrs movies which have mind numbing super-extreme-close-up CGI fight scenes for two hours and nary a hint of any story!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 03:10:24 AM »
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

Saw this last night and I have to say that it was really great. Better than the first one even thought I thought it wouldn't be. Chris Pine is great as Kirk. Spock is awesome as Spock, yeah not Zachary Quinto, in this movie Spock plays Spock. But the best part of the cast is of course Benedict Cumberbatch, as expected. I have been a big fan of his since I saw Sherlock and it was really cool to see him play a bad guy here.

For a few minutes there I actually thought he'd be a good guy anyways, when he cries and tells Kirk that Marcus is the bad guy and all that shit. There I thought "oh, I thought it'd be cool for him to just be the villain all the way but okay fine I can roll with this". But then of course he's all "I will walk over your cold corpses" with his Cumberbatchy voice and is all awesome.

This movie disappointed me at one point though. One of the best things about the 2009 movie was the "silent-space" thing. That was illustrated really well two times in that movie and it is probably the detail that made really interested to begin with. And then this movie comes along and has a like 3-minute space jump scene, and it's just noisy as shit. That scene would have been one of the best in the movie if it was done in silence. I'm not talking about music here, they could have used music since it's a pretty long scene, but I would have been so happy if they had skipped the ridiculous sound effects from the jet packs and objects passing by.

One thing I thought when watching this was also "trek fans will be soo happy". At least I think they will be, I think I would have been if I was a hardcore Trekkie. I have never seen any of the old Star Trek movies and never a single TV-episode, but there was still moments in here that I felt was really monumental. First of all, we get to see the Klingons, something I have heard people felt was missing from the first movie. Then we have all the Wrath of Khan referenses, when Spock calls old Spock, hands on the glass, even the Khan-yell. I haven't even seen Wrath of Khan and that was still awesome.

Best movie so far this year (out of the three that I've seen..).

8.4/10 - Great

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 04:46:09 AM »
 :tup

Now go and watch the Wrath Of Khan ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »
Third time seeing this tomorrow in the space of a week.

Normal 3D

IMAX 3D

Normal 2D.

I've a feeling the 2D screening tomorrow will be the best one. I can just relax and watch the film without any distractions.