Author Topic: Flight of the Bumblebee using Virtual Instruments  (Read 916 times)

Offline Manolito Mystiq

Flight of the Bumblebee using Virtual Instruments
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:06:10 PM »
HERE

It took me a while.

I'm pretty satisfied with the strings. I have a hard time with both brass and woodwinds, though. Thanks to some added (convolution) reverb, the woodwinds sound much better (still not great), but the brass are still so artificial.

I liked the spiccato noise of the spiccato run patch, so I added a soft track of it along with the main run patch of the violins.

Comments, critique, all are welcome.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
Re: Flight of the Bumblebee using Virtual Instruments
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:26 AM »
A few tips: a bit more volume/expression automation and even more importantly: you locked everything to the grid. I compose a lot with vst's and I always play each line with my keys. Makes a huge difference! Part of the orchestra sound is that there are lots of instruments and none of them are really fully in sync.

Try using the humanize function and compare the results.

Good job on the orchestration!

Just my thoughts as a composer!

- Tiko

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
I worked a lot on volume/expression, but indeed, I didn’t touch the notes.

Playing each line with keys definitely makes a huge difference. Playing this piece on the piano is way too ambitious for me. I could slow it down and record, but then the performance will be different. I’ll check out the humanization options of Studio One 2.

Currently, I’m doing the Star Fox medley (Super NES version). Much more doable, except for the slurry part.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:45:12 AM »
Playing each line with keys definitely makes a huge difference. Playing this piece on the piano is way too ambitious for me.

I hear you. Humanizing will make a huge difference!

- Tiko