Author Topic: So I'm getting a cubicle.  (Read 5916 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: So I'm getting a cubicle.
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 06:24:30 AM »
Here's my setup:

*snip*

Why do you use a mouse pad with an optical mouse??

Why wouldn't you? Desks make shitty surfaces, both for the mouse and for your hand.

I find that unless I'm on just straight wood, I'd prefer an optical mouse without a mouse pad any day. A new optical mouse on a granite surface is heaven.

Yeah, I'm mostly thinking wood here. Never tried a mouse on granite myself. I've always just had my typical computer work desk (it's not a laptop I move around or anything), which is a paneled wood kind of thing. Not a pleasant surface imo.
And also, I love the oldschool cloth mouse pads. I wear through them so quickly though. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 06:27:43 AM »
Here's my setup:

*snip*

Why do you use a mouse pad with an optical mouse??

Why wouldn't you? Desks make shitty surfaces, both for the mouse and for your hand.

I find that unless I'm on just straight wood, I'd prefer an optical mouse without a mouse pad any day. A new optical mouse on a granite surface is heaven.

Yeah, I'm mostly thinking wood here. Never tried a mouse on granite myself. I've always just had my typical computer work desk (it's not a laptop I move around or anything), which is a paneled wood kind of thing. Not a pleasant surface imo.
And also, I love the oldschool cloth mouse pads. I wear through them so quickly though. :lol

That's true. I never considered a fixed workstation lol. It's been so long since I've owned one. It's only 8:26 and this is the third surface I have used my laptop on today. Most of the tables around campus are still fairly new and smooth. I don't like how when using a mouse pad I am limited to the size and location of the pad. I am constantly repositioning myself in relation to the computer and my mouse location can vary ten inches in either direction sometimes.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 06:30:34 AM »
Yeah, I'm mostly thinking wood here.

Of course you do :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 07:08:32 AM »
Here's my setup:
***Snip***

What do you do?

I work for BJC Healhcare as an Equipment Planner. Essentially it's project management. I order all pieces of equipment for the various projects within BJC. Everything from $2 million dollar MRI machines down to $10 trash cans. I keep the projects equipment list on budget, I meet with the user groups to ascertain what it is they want/ need in a project, help them Configure their equipment, communicate with the assortment of equipment vendors and negotiate cost....then make sure the equipment arrives on time to fit into the construction schedule as its needed.
  I primarily work with Excel these days. Excel and a butt ton of e-mailing along with constant phone calls. What I enjoy most is that I rarely spend an entire day in he office. Between meetings and site visits my day is broken up quite a bit which eliminates any form of boredom.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
Here's my setup:
***Snip***

What do you do?

I work for BJC Healhcare as an Equipment Planner. Essentially it's project management. I order all pieces of equipment for the various projects within BJC. Everything from $2 million dollar MRI machines down to $10 trash cans. I keep the projects equipment list on budget, I meet with the user groups to ascertain what it is they want/ need in a project, help them Configure their equipment, communicate with the assortment of equipment vendors and negotiate cost....then make sure the equipment arrives on time to fit into the construction schedule as its needed.
  I primarily work with Excel these days. Excel and a butt ton of e-mailing along with constant phone calls. What I enjoy most is that I rarely spend an entire day in he office. Between meetings and site visits my day is broken up quite a bit which eliminates any form of boredom.

Sounds ideal.  :tup

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
The IBM looks shiny and new. I would still recommend some greenery in the form of a hard to kill office plant. I'm diggin the shuttle, rover and Mini Cooper as well. And, is that a TPS report tacked to the wall?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:45 PM »
The IBM looks shiny and new. I would still recommend some greenery in the form of a hard to kill office plant. I'm diggin the shuttle, rover and Mini Cooper as well. And, is that a TPS report tacked to the wall?

IBM is brand new (i7  :metal). That paper hanging up is my scheduled meetings so far. Plant is next on the list!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 07:01:04 AM »
A nice single-malt.

Oh, and nice picture of Carl! My labradoodle is named Sagan...no shit!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
Two words, bonsai tree

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »
BEFORE....

Here's my setup:

AFTER.....

Got a matching 22" monitor last week and am demo'ing an iPad for our department to see if it is beneficial or not. So far the only thing the iPads been good for is surfing DTF.  There are some good apps I could utilize but the issue is I can't (easily) remote into our secured network to access our main drives with all our archived projects.

Even though I had a dual set up before having the same make/model/ size monitors right next to one another has been nice and seems to 'bring it all together' for me.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »
Plus.... you got rid of that leather jacket. It really didn't go with the rest of the decor
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 07:14:57 AM »

Plus.... you got rid of that leather jacket. It really didn't go with the rest of the decor

:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 07:42:02 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 07:47:32 AM »
That's pretty neat that your surrounding walls are different colors. I bet it doesn't 'feel' coupled up or anything. And, the shuttle Lego is awesome but all I can think about is how quickly my 3 year old would destroy it.  :lol Anytime I make the larger Lego toys for his older brothers its only a matter of minutes that its in 1000 pieces on the floor.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
That's pretty neat that your surrounding walls are different colors. I bet it doesn't 'feel' coupled up or anything. And, the shuttle Lego is awesome but all I can think about is how quickly my 3 year old would destroy it.  :lol Anytime I make the larger Lego toys for his older brothers its only a matter of minutes that its in 1000 pieces on the floor.

:lol :lol

Not exactly legos... and far from large.

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoblock-58160-Space-Shuttle/dp/B0053T15HK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374588193&sr=8-2&keywords=nano+blocks

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »
BEFORE....

Here's my setup:

*snip*

AFTER.....

*snip*

Got a matching 22" monitor last week and am demo'ing an iPad for our department to see if it is beneficial or not. So far the only thing the iPads been good for is surfing DTF.  There are some good apps I could utilize but the issue is I can't (easily) remote into our secured network to access our main drives with all our archived projects.

Even though I had a dual set up before having the same make/model/ size monitors right next to one another has been nice and seems to 'bring it all together' for me.

What was your final assessment on the iPad?  We found them to be pretty much useless for any practical business use at our company.  Since we already have iPhones for email and we all have laptops, and since the iPad can't really replace a laptop for us (it can't run any of the software we use) its only use would be web surfing (laptop) and email (laptop or iPhone) so we decided that at $600 a pop they're just not worth it.

I got a free iPad out of it, though.  :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 09:36:32 AM »
BEFORE....

Here's my setup:

*snip*

AFTER.....

*snip*

What was your final assessment on the iPad?  We found them to be pretty much useless for any practical business use at our company.  Since we already have iPhones for email and we all have laptops, and since the iPad can't really replace a laptop for us (it can't run any of the software we use) its only use would be web surfing (laptop) and email (laptop or iPhone) so we decided that at $600 a pop they're just not worth it.

I got a free iPad out of it, though.  :P

I like being able to notate PDFs of Construction Documents and having the ability to open AutoCad files (although editing those files is difficult on the iPad) to view them on the iPad rather than a laptop,but the bottom line is what I mentioned and you bolded. It is a chore to get access to the secured drives I need to function. Its 'easier' for me to e-mail whatever documents i want to view/use than it is to go look them Up. But then if i save anything i have to e-mail it back and re-save or whatever...its a pain. And, Excel....the program i use the most has been difficult to use as well. Although i havent given it much effort because if im using excel i prefer to use the laptop and dual screens to have the multiple windows open.
 Until the process of accessing files is made easier....I just don't see the practicality of it.
  But like you said also, I'm getting a free iPad out of it so its not all bad.

Offline Crazy4DT

• or, not so Crazy4DT
  • DT.net Veteran
  • I am Kimberlyand.
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2013, 02:09:03 PM »
I wish I could have a plant - there is no natural light at my cube, so plants don't do well.

Spider Plant
Devil's Ivy
Bamboo

Or just google "office plants". Lots of plants grow fine in office environments.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
I'll second the bamboo plant as a good one in office light environments.  We've got a bunch of them spread around this office and they seem to thrive here and we've got practically zero sunlight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2013, 09:10:44 AM »
Decided since we're on the cusp of a new year to change up the office set up. Here's my old configuration:

And here's the new one.

I'm also picking up a fresh batch of recent pics of the kiddos and family to update the picture frames. Here's looking to the new year!

I'm involved in several large projects to where if I put in the work and dedication I have the potential to get some good exposure to the people who make many important decisions.....including promotions.....so, other than being grateful for just having a job there is extra underlying incentives to doing a good job.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »
chino why do you have two laptops?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »
Working from the home office today. I'm averaging 2 or 3 days a month from home during 'normal' office hours.....I probably work anywhere from 3-8 hours from home throughout the week at night as well but that is mostly answering the less important e-mails and taking care of the clerical side of my job.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »

My sloppy mess of an office. Don't be jealous of the awesome laminate makeshift desk provider to me by my spare no expense boss! :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
One of the things I wanted most for my home office was one of the old time looking 'world' pictures.....and my In Laws gave me one as a Christmas gift. I'm only an antique world globe and old floor lamp away from completing my home office vision......

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2014, 09:53:13 PM »
Nice. I like your style, dude. I wanted a world map (much like yours) and a globe for my house as well. I settled on these.

The map is a star map for the northern and southern hemisphere's view of the night sky. It's out of a 1970's issue of National Geographic. As for the globe, I found one from Italy. It's an older rendition of the Earth that has castles on various land masses and sea monsters in the Atlantic and Pacific. Open the globe and there is room for booze and six glasses. Also, the inside has some crazy imagery.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2014, 10:01:59 PM »
How? During school vacations I can be found on the computer nearly as much as you, and we still have the same Mickey Mouse-pad that predates my sister.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2014, 03:56:32 AM »
How? During school vacations I can be found on the computer nearly as much as you, and we still have the same Mickey Mouse-pad that predates my sister.

Wow, that was an old quote!
I'm at my computer a minimum of 12 hours a day, every single day of the year. My current one is holding up quite well after probably a couple of years though, so I have no idea. They last me a couple of years on average before they're worn down to desk. I don't think I've ever had a mouse last more than a couple of years either. My computer usage is heavy duty, so all of my equipment dies a horrible, painful death at some point. :lol
How old is your sister anyway?

gmillerdrake, I love the look you've got going for that room, although I'm not sure the paint colour matches the look. It looks too modern or something. Maybe it's just the photo/lighting.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2014, 05:14:44 AM »
I'm at my computer a minimum of 12 hours a day, every single day of the year.

Holy shit, how?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2014, 05:17:12 AM »
Blob finds a way.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2014, 05:28:12 AM »
I'm at my computer a minimum of 12 hours a day, every single day of the year.

Holy shit, how?

Well a day is 24 hours long, so that leaves plenty of time! :blob:

Not having a life also helps immensely.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2014, 11:35:20 AM »
Nice. I like your style, dude. I wanted a world map (much like yours) and a globe for my house as well. I settled on these.

**snip**

The map is a star map for the northern and southern hemisphere's view of the night sky. It's out of a 1970's issue of National Geographic. As for the globe, I found one from Italy. It's an older rendition of the Earth that has castles on various land masses and sea monsters in the Atlantic and Pacific. Open the globe and there is room for booze and six glasses. Also, the inside has some crazy imagery.

That star map is killer. I think I remember you sharing that in a different thread and liking it then also.....and that globe is pretty sweet also!! I'd love to find an antique globe instead of just a 'run of the mill' one.....I'm going to keep my eye out for one.

gmillerdrake, I love the look you've got going for that room, although I'm not sure the paint colour matches the look. It looks too modern or something. Maybe it's just the photo/lighting.

Not sure if the color is off too much....but all I know is the office set was free from my father in law when he purchased a new one so I wasn't exactly going to turn it down......and the color of that room and the dining room across from it were based off the colors in our foyer rug, so....i don't see it changing anytime soon.  :lol