Author Topic: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. And The Winner Is.....  (Read 40296 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 4 Results UP!
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
How the hell do I still get 5/10 if you continuously wanted to skip the track? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
How the hell do I still get 5/10 if you continuously wanted to skip the track? :lol
Yeah, you're probably lucky Ichy Bin didn't beat you! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
Sieges Even :heart

:metal
For everyone who loves prog, soft atmospheric stuff and is easily moved by good lyrics, The Art Of Navigating By The Stars is an album that will change your life. It changed mine.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »
Sieges Even :heart

:metal
For everyone who loves prog, soft atmospheric stuff and is easily moved by good lyrics, The Art Of Navigating By The Stars is an album that will change your life. It changed mine.

Yeah, that's a special album, amazing sounds and atmosphere, and perfectly performed and written.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #284 on: May 21, 2013, 12:07:54 AM »
Just want to say I'm very pleased to see tons of IQ on your list Barry. :tup

And sent!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:14:38 AM by lonestar »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #285 on: May 21, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
I corrected a mistake in my scoring.  Not sure what happened there, but the correction puts lonestar, um, all.....er....alone :P  at the top of the leader board

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2013, 08:54:43 PM »
:RJ:

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #287 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:50 AM »
Damn, how could I forget Sieges Even?  :facepalm:

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. FINAL round Submit now pls.
« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »
Calling:

Elite
Scorpion
Wolfking

Everyone else is set for the final round.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Right, sending now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »
Re-sent.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »
Scorpion's all set, I didn't get anything from you, Elite, you may want to try again. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #292 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »
Ok, I just did a little investigating, and holy crap that Genius trilogy is genius.  I gotta pimp the guest vocalist list across the three albums - Lande, Allen, Gildenlow, Gioelli, Eric Martin, Lana Lane, DC Cooper, Toby Hitchcock, Mark Boals, Edu, Steve Walsh, Oliver Hartmann among others.  It's a who's who of all my favorite vocalists.  Everyone in this roulette should check it out - and for the non-Spotify crowd, all three are up on Grooveshark.

:tup :tup to Diego on this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
 :D
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »
Scorpion's all set, I didn't get anything from you, Elite, you may want to try again. 

My bad, sent again. Did you get it now? :)
Squ

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: May 23, 2013, 04:19:56 AM »
Ok, I just did a little investigating, and holy crap that Genius trilogy is genius.  I gotta pimp the guest vocalist list across the three albums - Lande, Allen, Gildenlow, Gioelli, Eric Martin, Lana Lane, DC Cooper, Toby Hitchcock, Mark Boals, Edu, Steve Walsh, Oliver Hartmann among others.  It's a who's who of all my favorite vocalists.  Everyone in this roulette should check it out - and for the non-Spotify crowd, all three are up on Grooveshark.

:tup :tup to Diego on this one.

I only have the third one I think, but it's incredible.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »

My bad, sent again. Did you get it now? :)

Yeah, you're all set.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: May 24, 2013, 04:59:21 AM »
Song sent again.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
OK, everyone's all set, disc is burned, and it's a long weekend.  Results will be posted on Tuesday  :hat

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
OK, everyone's all set, disc is burned, and it's a long weekend.  Results will be posted on Tuesday  :hat

:caffeine:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
It's Tuesday already OMG why are there no results!!!!  :P

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Dr. DTVT

Band: Worlds
Song: The Fifth Wheel
Album: Out of The Cold

Worlds is a progressive rock band from Green Bay, Wisconsin.  It was a challenge to find anything about this band on the internet.  Their MySpace page looks like it hasn't been updated in a few years and I was unable to find their CD anywhere.  That's a shame because I enjoyed the song quite a bit.  They appear to be unsigned and I'd estimate that the lack of label support manifests itself a tiny bit in the somewhat anemic sounding production values on the recording.  However, with that said, there's a lot to like here.  If you took classic-era Rush and combined it with Yes you might have a sound similar to what Worlds sounds like.  It's too bad they haven't been promoted more, because there's a ton of potential here.
Score: 8.5

Elite

Band: Jeff Buckley
Album: Grace
Song: Grace

Jeff Buckley is an American sing/song writer/guitarist.  He released on full studio album, titled "Grace" before he died in an accidental drowning in 1997 at the age of 30.  His music reminds me a little bit of Neal Morse's first two solo albums, although it's more guitar-oriented than piano-oriented.  Although Elite thought I might not like this, and while I admit I wasn't exactly crazy about it, the music was actually quite nice.  It's probably not something I'd rush out to buy right away, but that's not a quality judgement.  I found the music to be quite melodic and sort of uplifting in feel.  I don't have a whole lot to say about it other than it's not bad at all.
Score: 7.5

jingle.boy

Band: Toxic Smile
Album: Retrotox Forte
Song: Raised

Toxic Smile is a German Progressive metal band formed in 1996.  The album "Retrotox Forte" is their second album.  The composition is quite reminiscent of Dream Theater's early output in that it's quite complicated with quite a few time-signature changes and odd meter riffs.   This is among the best submissions I've received in this roulette.  This album will shoot straight to the top of my "to buy" list.  Musically, I found this to be a bit more eclectic than standard prog/metal, and given that the musicians in this band have a lot of jazz influences, that's not too surprising.   Good stuff here.
Score: 9.5

lonestar

Band: Incura
Album: The Lost EP
Song: Here to Blame

Incura bill themselves as a "Theatrical Hard Rock" band and they are from Vancouver, BC.  Seems they have yet to release a full, proper album and have undergone numerous lineup adjustments since their inception, but they've managed to carve out a niche for themselves in the Canada progressive rock scene.  Musically, it's pretty chuggy, with a vocalist that reminds me a little bit of Pat Monahan (Train) at times.  I will have to take their word for it on the "theatrical" description since it's difficult to form such an opinion from a single 4-minute track, but it was definitely good enough that I would like to hear more from them.
Score: 8

nekov

Band: Von Hertzen Brothers
Album: Nine Lives
Song: Insomniac

Von Hertzen Brothers is a Finnish prog rock/prog metal band made up of three brothers.  They cite Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Pink Floyd among their influences.  This track certainly reminded me of the first two, not so much Pink Floyd, but I'm guessing other songs on their album have more ambient tones/moods.  I must say, this was a bit out of my comfort zone and I was taken by surprise at first.  I wasn't sure what to make of it after a couple of spins.  But the more I listened to it, the more I got accustomed to the melodies, which are definitely not standard fare.  This music challenges the listener a bit, but pays great dividends to those who rise to that challenge.  A bit inaccessible to start, but downright catchy by the time I'd had 4 or 5 listens.  Very cool grooves and riffs with very interesting melodies and excellent musicianship all around.  Will definitely be exploring these guys further.
Score: 9

obscure

Band: Tellus Requiem
Album: Tellus Requiem
Song: Oblivion

Tellus Requiem is a Norwegian symphonic/neo-classical(ish) progressive metal band comparable to old-school Symphony X in some ways.  Crazy-killer guitar soloing and keyboard soloing.  Crushing riffs and big, huge orchestral production values.   I very much enjoyed the music these guys delivered.  The one thing that I found a bit off-putting was the vocalist.  Not that he's a bad vocalist.  But as you've all seen from this roulette, I am finicky when it comes to vocals.  This guy's timbre was a little on the nasally side for me and I found it very difficult to understand what he was singing.  But those are really minor gripes and I think the music definitely makes this a band worth checking out.

Scorpion

Band: Tetrafusion
Album: Horizons EP
Song: Spider Silk

Tetrafusion is a progressive metal band from Louisiana.  The Horizons EP, from which the submitted track is taken, plays like one long continuous track that moves and weaves itself into and out of various moods and feels.  I found the music to be extremely well-crafted, although slightly repetitive at times.  They made me think that if Dream Theater were to morph into a djent-style band, this might be what they sound like, with the exception of the vocals, which were a bit on the bland side.  Tetrafusion's strength is definitely in their compositions.  I've downloaded their Horizons EP, which is free on their bandcamp page and have enjoyed listening to it.

TAC

Band: Hibria
Album: Defying The Rules
Song: Millennium Quest 

Hibria is a heavy/speed metal band from Brazil, known for their speed and technical prowess.  They cite bands such as Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc as influences.  It's easy to hear why.  The music is heavy, riff-oriented, double-bass-driven, with some pretty cool breaks in there featuring twin harmony guitars (a la Iron Maiden) and even a twist of Neo-classical influences in the ripping guitar solos, complete with sweep arpeggios and harmonized diminished scale runs.  I will probably buy this album just to hear the rest of the guitar solos and the riffs.  I also found the vocalist to be quite good.
Score: 8.5

wolfking

Band: Seven Tears
Album: In Every Frozen Tear
Song: Hollow Ground

This was an interesting submission.  A really heavy sounding yet melodic song with some extremely cliche lyrics, delivered by a somewhat gruff-sounding vocalist with quite a bit of power but not a lot of range.  I enjoyed the song, but at the same time thought I was listening to a demo whenever it came up.  Dull-sounding production didn't help either.  It's too bad, because the chorus was pretty good and the song was decent overall. 
Score: 7.5

Final Score:

lonestar - 42
obscure - 41
scorpion 41
Dr. DTVT - 40
TAC - 39.5
jingle.boy - 39
wolfking - 38
nekov - 37.5
Elite - 34
ich bin besser - 18.5

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. And The Winner Is.....
« Reply #303 on: May 28, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »
:woot: Didn't finish in last!!  Congrats to RJ... he's on a bit of a roll lately in Roulette's.  :clap:

"eclectic" is an excellent way of describing Toxic Smile.  Had a feeling you'd be all over that one.

Now I gotta go check the songs I didn't know (Worlds, Hibria and 7 Tears.)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: May 28, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »
Congrats Chef, you showed the lady how it's done  ;D

Regarding VHB, I'd say that's one of their most accessible songs of them so I'm not sure what you'll find when you check them out but then again it's obvious you have a different taste than mine so you may find the rest of their work to be easier to listen to.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: May 28, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
Well, Top 5 in THIS group is OK in my book. I'll take it.
Plus NO song got rejected. I still can't believe it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #306 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
Second place ain't too shabby. I had hoped that RJ would stumble in the last round a little, granting me a victory or at least a tie, but congrats nevertheless. Here to Blame is a fantastic track, I thought about sending it, but I wasn't sure if the vocalist would appeal to Barry.

Thanks for hosting this Barry! I had a lot of fun. Now go and enjoy the shit ton of new awesome music. :birch:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: May 28, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »
Yeah, I've got my work cut out for me and enough spending in my future that I should put in a few hours of O.T. here at work to cover the costs  :lol

BIG THANK YOU to everyone for playing!  It was a lot of fun!  :yarr

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Fuckin' A bro!!!! Sweet!!! That's a hell of a group of participants, you all are awesome. Got a ton of checking out to do.

Thanks for running a class A roulette, and happy listening.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
jingle.boy

Band: Toxic Smile
Album: Retrotox Forte
Song: Raised

Toxic Smile is a German Progressive metal band formed in 1996.  The album "Retrotox Forte" is their second album.  The composition is quite reminiscent of Dream Theater's early output in that it's quite complicated with quite a few time-signature changes and odd meter riffs.   This is among the best submissions I've received in this roulette.  This album will shoot straight to the top of my "to buy" list.  Musically, I found this to be a bit more eclectic than standard prog/metal, and given that the musicians in this band have a lot of jazz influences, that's not too surprising.   Good stuff here.
Score: 9.5

Okay, I admit that I don't know you well enough, Barry... I thought of submitting a TS tune (like this band a lot and seen them live, too), but I thought you'd prefer the harder stuff in this roulette... Oh well...  I should have continued... :lol

Meine Musikliste

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: May 28, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
No worries, bro  :biggrin:

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #311 on: May 28, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
Btw, it's not their 2nd album: https://www.toxic-smile.de/DISCOGRAPHY.html

Meine Musikliste

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: May 28, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »
Thanks for having me Barry  :heart

Congrats ma darling  :-* :-* :-*

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #313 on: May 28, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
Thanks Lady. Any success I have in roulettes is a shared one. ;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: May 28, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
Congrats to the champ.