Author Topic: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. And The Winner Is.....  (Read 40293 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 3 Results Up!
« Reply #245 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:09 PM »
KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette Smut Thread

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: May 13, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
Hmmm....I thought that song would have gotten a high score, can't seem to get a home run. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: May 13, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »
Hmmm....I thought that song would have gotten a high score, can't seem to get a home run.

It's a great song Wolf. Mermaids would've probably been a little catchier.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: May 13, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »

I was torn between this of Beyond.  I don't know, Beyond just has an amazing chorus to me, I just like it better than Mermaids.  The whole album is seriously amazing though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
Yes it is!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2013, 12:22:43 AM »
Sent man.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »

I was torn between this of Beyond.  I don't know, Beyond just has an amazing chorus to me, I just like it better than Mermaids.  The whole album is seriously amazing though.

I definitely enjoyed it and I will probably end up getting at least one of their CDs, it's just that in the context of this roulette and this particular round, there were artists I liked more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2013, 06:25:51 AM »

I definitely enjoyed it and I will probably end up getting at least one of their CDs, it's just that in the context of this roulette and this particular round, there were artists I liked more.

That's cool.

Song sent.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2013, 06:02:50 AM »
Still waiting for round 4 subs from Elite and ich bin besser

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 4 Submit Now
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2013, 05:32:43 AM »
And you'll have to wait one more day.  ;)
But I think there's no way I can submit 7 more songs that you don't know or that you'll like, based on the songs so far... So I'll give it one more shot and see what happens.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2013, 05:40:48 AM »
And you'll have to wait one more day.  ;)
But I think there's no way I can submit 7 more songs that you don't know or that you'll like, based on the songs so far... So I'll give it one more shot and see what happens.

I think there's only one more round after this ... at least the OP said 5 rounds.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2013, 05:53:54 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was 5 rounds.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2013, 06:26:35 AM »
Okay, I'll send something when I'm home (~6-7 hours). I can't guaranteed that you'll like it and I'm also almost out of stuff to send.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »
OK, yeah, it's five rounds, just like I put in the OP.  I'm afraid I won't be able to include your song on my listening CD, ich bin besser, which means I won't really get much of a chance to hear it before scoring it on Monday. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #259 on: May 17, 2013, 08:02:17 AM »
I still got tons of tunes for ya Barry.  :metal

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: May 17, 2013, 08:06:11 AM »
Gnarly, man

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: May 17, 2013, 08:11:41 AM »

The well is fairly deep here too... though I seem to be throwing some whiff's.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2013, 08:23:16 AM »
Well I don't!  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #263 on: May 17, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »
:dunno:

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
Well I don't!  :lol

Me neither... Guess I pass.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2013, 04:28:23 AM »
And we have our first casualty  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2013, 04:18:13 AM »
Which probably makes it easier for you to judge.. Results when? :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2013, 06:01:31 AM »
Results today, but much later in the day.  I didn't get all the songs until the end of the week.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »
 :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #269 on: May 20, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »
Sounds good :)
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »
Round 5 sent this morning.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: May 20, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
Dr. DTVT

Band: Power of Omens
Album: Eyes Of The Oracle
Song: Test of Wills

Power of Omens is a San Antonio, TX based technical progressive metal band with two albums, both of which have submissions in this round.  Since the submissions came in at almost the same exact moment, and were from two different albums, I decided to keep them both and just try to judge them on their merits.   First impressions, particularly from the second submission were to think of a band with a remarkably similar sound/style to early/mid-era Fates Warning (post-Arch era).  "Test of Wills" is a sprawling 19:55 epic that I honestly did not have enough time to fully absorb, but which I definitely found a great deal of enjoyment in listening.  I have really not heard anything quite like this band.  This is not music for those who do not wish to be challenged with the task of what I often refer to as "active listening" for one must truly engage in and perhaps even study a piece like "Test of Wills" to fully realize it.  Sadly, the album appears to be out of print.  Because I'd really love to hear the entire album, but I'm not ready to plunk down $39.95 for a used copy from someone on Amazon.com.  I probably would have scored this a 10 if it were a bit more condensed, but even as it is, this is one amazing slab of art.
Score: 9.5

Elite

Band: Mr. Bungle
Album: California
Song: RetroVertigo

Mr. Bungle is an experimental band from Eureka, CA, formed in 1985 by some high school kids.  They are known for genre-hopping and the use of a variety of instruments and samples in their music.  I have heard of them and seen them mentioned here and elsewhere, but never felt compelled to buy any of their music upon hearing samples of their output on YouTube.  The track "RetroVertigo" served as confirmation for me that this is not a band that I would have a lot of interest in pursuing.  I did not find anything about it particularly interesting or moving and frequently found myself wanting to fast-forward to the end of the track to move on to the next song on my disc.  Sorry, Elite, but this was a swing and a miss.
Score: 5

ich bin besser

Band: none
Album: none
Song: none

ich bin besser has dropped out of the competition after 3 rounds
Score: 0

jingle.boy

Band: Mystery
Album: The World is a Game
Song: Pride

Mystery is a Canadian progressive rock band formed in 1986 by guitarist/keyboard player Michel St-Père.  "The World is a Game" is their latest album.  Since 1999, noted vocalist Benoit David (often compared to Jon Anderson of Yes) has taken the role of lead vocalist in Mystery.  Musically, the song "Pride" is a meandering slice of progressive rock in the vein of Transatlantic, early Spock's Beard, or Gabriel-era Genesis.  It features plenty of big, huge bass-pedal-soaked soundscapes and soaring guitar solos blanketed in warm analog synths and strings.  Michel's songwriting is really very good and I'm actually not sure why I haven't checked this band out yet, since I've had several conversations with Michel about potentially featuring him on a song or two in my own band's next album.  This is quality prog rock and I will likely end up buying this album.
Score: 8.5

lonestar

Band: The Omega Experiment
Album: The Omega Experiment
Song: Karma

The Omega Experiment is a 2-man technical progmetal band from Michigan.  This is a self-produced album and all things considered, I'm extremely impressed with it.  Impressed enough that I will very likely buy the MP3 album from Amazon.com.  This is not quite as challenging a listen as previous entry Power of Omens, but it's close.  And considering the self-produced aspect, and the fact that I'm listening to an MP3 file, the production values are, frankly, amazing.  Musically, it runs the gamut from fast and technical (I can haz blast beatz?) to melodic and orchestral.  The occasional and very sparing use of harsh vocals was a little bit of a turn off since I am not a fan of grunting and screaming, but it was used infrequently enough that I could definitely withstand it provided the rest of the album features it at this level.  This is a crowded genre that's overflowing with mediocrity and garbage, and this band managed to put together a sound that, while clearly influenced by others, they've also managed to sound pretty unique.

nekov

Band: Genius
Album: Episode I - A Human Into Dream's World
Song: There's a Human

This album is part one of a trilogy written by Daniele Liverani.   This song is a straight-up power-metal rocker.  My research on the album itself seems to indicate that both the album and the arist/composer are highly regarded in the prog rock community, but this song may not be the best overall representation of the body of work as a whole.  I think it's difficult to judge a conceptual piece on the merits of just a single track, but nonetheless, based on this track and the strength of the vocal delivery, I am interested in exploring it further.  I don't think there's anything particularly innovative or unique about it, but it sounded pretty cool to me.
Score: 8

obscure

Band: Reign of the Architect
Album: Rise
Song: Leaking Wounds

"Rise" is a very recently released album (April 16, 2013) by symphonic progressive metal band Reign of the Architect.  From the band's official website:  "Reign of the Architect started as a multinational studio project in October 2008. A cooperation between Yuval Kramer, guitarist of the highly acclaimed Israeli metal band AMASEFFER and Mexican drummer Mauricio Bustamante with the basic storyline written by the Israeli metal singer Yotam ‘Defiler’ Avni, the lead death metal singer of PREY FOR NOTHING. They wrote ROTA’s debut album ‘Rise’, a Sci-Fi concept album, only by e-mailing each other combining their own regional musical influences, such as Mediterranean and Latin music, as well as film soundtracks into the language of progressive metal."
The track "Leaking Wounds" is the 6th track on the album.  It's got an immediacy and urgency to it that I find hard to describe.  It's probably the main riff.  Overall I enjoyed it although I found the vocal delivery to be a little bit too over the top by the time the song came to a conclusion.   Still, it's pretty good.
Score: 7.5

Scorpion

Band: Power of Omens
Album: Rooms of Anguish
Song: As Winter Falls

As with the first submission, this one reminds me of Fates Warning, probably even more than the first submission, mostly due to the intro to this song.  If I can find this somewhere for a reasonable price, I will buy it.  The music is breathtaking and jarring.  The drumming in particular is amazing.  Unexpected.  Unnerving.  The vocals are awesome and the guitar player.  I think he's a fucking octopus or something.  I really would love to hear this in the context of the entire album.
Score: 9.5

TAC

Band: Glass Mind
Album: Haunting Regrets
Song: Your Name In Silence

Glass Mind is an unsigned progressive metal band apparently from Mexico.  "Haunting Regrets" is, from what I could find online, their only album.  The song "Your Name In Silence" is the 4th track from this album.  I found a lot to like here and will probably explore this band further.  Musically, it's melodic and progressive with plenty of keys, a lot of great guitar playing and the songwriting is solid.  Vocals, while not bad were a bit difficult to understand.  I'm not sure if it was due to an accent or the production, but it didn't make too much difference in my enjoyment.  Overall, I like it.  Not too much else to comment on at this point.  Quality stuff.

wolfking

Band: Sieges Even
Album: Paramount
Song: Tidal

Sieges Even were a progressive rock band (some refer to them as progressive metal, but I'm still not sure why) from Munich, Germany.  They split in 2008 and some of the members went on to form the prog rock band Subsignal.  Paramount is their 7th album, released in 2007.  The song Tidal is the second track from that album.  I found this music to be very engaging, with an interesting arrangement and great vocals, particularly the vocal harmonies.   It reminded me a bit of early Spock's Beard or maybe Transatlantic.  After I had listened to it a few times, I thought it sounded somewhat familiar and as it turns out I did own their 1991 album "A Sense of Change" but that album features a different lead vocalist and the style was quite a bit different than this album.  I don't know that I'd be rushing out to buy this album, but I did enjoy it.
Score: 8

Leader Board:

lonestar - 34
obscure - 33
scorpion 33
Dr. DTVT - 31.5
TAC - 31
wolfking - 30.5
jingle.boy - 29.5
nekov - 28.5
Elite - 26.5
ich bin besser - 18.5
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:13:57 PM by kirksnosehair »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 4 Results UP!
« Reply #272 on: May 20, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
Kirk. I'm glad you liked the Glass Mind track. It's a great album. I thought I was definitely going to lose points because of the vocalist, but he really sings that song with emotion. Sounds like Burnt Offerings era Matt Barlow. Haunting Regrets is a great album. 

In Round 3 I lost points for the Constantine track because of vocals. On the track I sent, he sounds a little like Axl Rose, but the rest of the album it sounds like if John Arch sang on No Exit. Don't give up on them untill you try a few more songs.

I would've assumed that Power Of Omens was off limits. Anyway, yes, the drumming is incredible. But it's so busy, I find it very distracting.

I submitted THE SHREDDER for Round 5. Going out in Metal style

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
Kirk. I'm glad you liked the Glass Mind track. It's a great album. I thought I was definitely going to lose points because of the vocalist, but he really sings that song with emotion. Sounds like Burnt Offerings era Matt Barlow. Haunting Regrets is a great album. 

In Round 3 I lost points for the Constantine track because of vocals. On the track I sent, he sounds a little like Axl Rose, but the rest of the album it sounds like if John Arch sang on No Exit. Don't give up on them untill you try a few more songs.

I would've assumed that Power Of Omens was off limits. Anyway, yes, the drumming is incredible. But it's so busy, I find it very distracting.

I submitted THE SHREDDER for Round 5. Going out in Metal style

Yeah, it's very busy, but something about it drew me in, probably the vocals in combination with the similarities to mid-era Fates Warning, which I really enjoyed.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »
Wow ... Solid round. PoO and Sieges Even I both love. You're writeuos on all the others leave me very intrigued.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
Well, I knew sending something out of a concept album was gonna be a bit hard but I sure am glad you liked it and you'll enjoy the whole work for sure.
I'll see what I send next... I'll probably go out on a limb since it's the last round
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #276 on: May 20, 2013, 02:27:16 PM »
Sieges Even :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »
Hey Mason, thanks for introducing me to Power of Omens. :D

Anyway, final round sent. No matter the result, I had a lot of fun and I hope you did as well with my submissions, Barry. :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »
Sieges Even :heart

:metal

Man, there's some interesting bands that round that I need to check out I think.