Author Topic: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. And The Winner Is.....  (Read 40298 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 3 - Submit Now!
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
Sent... hopefully I'm not milking this cow too much.  But Barry seems to like the juice, so I'm optimistic my upward trend will continue.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
Sorry dude, I've tasted that particular milk already  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
Sent.

Yeah, that was actually an excellent pick, except, I own the album.  I posted a thread here about them when I bought it.  :)

But you're definitely on the right track in terms of style and sound.  That's right in my wheelhouse.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
Sorry dude, I've tasted that particular milk already  :lol

There must be at least 2/3 overlap in our library!  This is maddening :marriageanalogy:

reloading, and going with a band already confirmed to be good ... just gotta figure out which song.

Edit... and over the fence to you Captain.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:19:26 PM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »
I'll send something when I get home.  I'll actually be home tonight...I almost forgot what that is like.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2013, 01:52:46 PM »
Sent.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »
I'm actually not sure how to submit 10 songs that he don't know or that haven't been submitted yet...  :lol

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
Sent.

Yeah, that was actually an excellent pick, except, I own the album.  I posted a thread here about them when I bought it.  :)

But you're definitely on the right track in terms of style and sound.  That's right in my wheelhouse.

Shit, I couldn't find it in your list. Well, let me find something else. You're absolutely right that the band is awesome :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2013, 07:16:19 AM »
Sent.

Where did you send it?  I didn't get anything from you.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2013, 07:20:27 AM »
I have a suggestion, just to prevent wasting your time sending me stuff I already have, you should shoot me a quick email (or PM) first to make sure I don't have what you intend to send.

There have been several submissions this round of music I already own.  Granted, those are not on my iPod list, but my iPod is 64GB and between my CD collection (about 1200 discs) my cassette collection (around 500 of these) and my vinyl collection (about 100 of these) my iPod is in no way comprehensive.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »
Sent.

Where did you send it?  I didn't get anything from you.

oops... really?!
let me check!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 3 KNH=Listening Mode Engaged
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2013, 05:41:19 AM »
OK, I've got everyone's submissions now.  Thank you once again for all of your efforts.  I know I have a rather vast collection of music and pretty specific tastes, but you folks have really zeroed in on me quite remarkably.  In fact, the submissions in the last two rounds have been so good that I've already purchased 3 albums!  Two of them from THIS round  :lol

I won't let the cat out of the bag on that until Monday when I post my results, but if this keeps up I can easily see myself buying at least another half dozen albums before this is even over with  :hat

Listening Mode: Engaged 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »
Looks like were doing our job then bro.  Also, at the end please list all albums purchased from the roulette.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
Ooh, goodie, can;t wait for the results :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »
Round 4 sent this morning.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2013, 09:49:20 AM »
Round 4 sent this morning.

Eager beaver!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »
Dr. DTVT

Band: Cairo
Album: Cairo
Song: Silent Winter

Cairo is a progressive rock band formed in 1994 in San Francisco, USA.  Their music is in the same vein as that of classic prog bands like ELP, Yes and Genesis, but with a slightly more modern sound, particularly the keyboard patches.  The music is definitely keyboard driven, and a bit of research on them revealed that they are essentially a 3-piece with keys, drums and bass, using session players and guests to fill in the guitar parts.  I like the song, the melodies were good, the vocals were good, the keyboard playing was good, the instrumentation was good, the production values were good, but it didn't WOW me.  I'll probably check them out further down the road a bit.
Score: 7

Elite

Band: Persona Non Grata
Album: Quantum Leap
Song: Imaginative Mind

Quantum Leap is the second album from Greek progmetalers Persona Non Grata.  This is a pure slab of straight up progmetal in the Dream Theater/Fates Warning vein, with maybe a bit of a darker edge here and there.  The vocalist here is really good, his voice displays range, character, emotion and excellent pitch control.  This band doesn't break any new ground in the genre, but the music is well-crafted, the production sounds crisp and the song was interesting enough to put this band on my list of bands that I definitely need to check further into.
Score: 8

ich bin besser

Band: Lazuli
Album: 4603 Battements
Song: Je Te Laisse Ce Monde

Lazuli is apparently a French progressive rock band formed in Southern France in 1998 by Claude and Dominique Leonetti.  I had a very difficult time listening to this song for a few reasons.  First off, the music is definitely way out of my comfort zone.  Secondly, the vocals are not sung in English.  Now, I fully realize that some people believe this should not be a disqualifying factor and that I should probably judge the music on its own merits.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.  I strongly prefer that the music I listen to be sung in a language I can understand and that is English.  I'm also not into the sort of quasi-electronica soundscapes this group lays down.  Basically, there was not much here for me to like.
Score: 5

jingle.boy

Band: Freedom Call
Album: Crystal Empire
Song: Ocean

Freedom Call is a German power metal band featuring Daniel Zimmermann (Gamma Ray).  "Crystal Empire" is their second album, from 2001.  It features a driving double-bass drum beat and gigantic sing-a-long choruses with layers and layers of vocals made to sound like a full orchestra.  It's got a big, huge epic feel to it.  There was nothing new here regarding the genre, but I found it to be a pleasant song that I enjoyed listening to. 

lonestar

Band: Absolute Priority
Album: Hunter
Song: Fear of the Night

Absolute Priority is an Italian progressive metal band with all the fixin's.  They've got the crunchy guitars, the keyboards and synths, the drummer, and a killer vocalist.  The music is heavy yet melodic, the instrumentation is interesting and compelling.  While they are not going to win any awards for innovation, that's not necessarily a band thing.  These guys are smokin' musicians, the guitar player is particularly impressive with the solo in this song definitely in the jaw-dropping category.  Definitely a band I am going to end up making a purchase from.  Excellent.
Score: 8.5

nekov

Band: Iron Savior
Album: Megatropolis
Song: Megatropolis

Iron Savior is a German power metal band headed up by multi-instrumentalist and producer/engineer Piet Sielck.   The music is really good, with great guitar riffs and a driving beat, and solid overall instrumentation.  If it were not for the lead vocalist, I probably would have enjoyed this quite a bit more, but I found the scratchy, gravel-ish vocal stylings of the singer to be pretty off-putting.  I suppose if I listened a bit longer it would be something I could adapt to, but I'm not sure.  It's too bad, because the guitar playing was quite good with a cool dueling guitar solo that merged into a harmony guitar solo as kind of the centerpiece of the song.   

obscure

Band: Souljourners
Album: Mind Control
Song: The Avenger

Souljourners are an unsigned group of youngsters (at the time of recording the entire band was under 22 years of age from what I could glean off the internet) and they have self-produced something that is truly unique in the genre of progressive metal.  The music sits on the fence between progressive metal and popular metal.  The vocalist sounds a bit like __________________(insert current radio-friendly pop-metal band here) but that is not a bad thing at all.  Musically, these guys have written an outstanding album.  I wish they'd had a bit more advice in their production process, because the mastering is very hot, almost too hot, but I suppose I can live with it.  The songwriting and instrumentation here is outstanding.  I expect this band will be signed soon and many of us will be hearing more from them.
Score: 8

scorpion

Band: Distorted Harmony
Album: Utopia
Song: Blue

Distorted Harmony is a progressive metal band from Israel and Utopia is their debut release.  It features 6 tracks, most of which are in the 7 to 9 minute range with the closing track clocking in at over 12 minutes.  Musically, they blend quite a few influences which include the classic prog outfits like ELP, Genesis and Yes, but also more modern sounds like those of Pain of Salvation or Fates Warning.  There are lots of interesting time signature changes here to keep the listener guessing, but also plenty of great melodies and hooks.  I think this is another band that is going to break out in this genre at some point.  Very high quality stuff here, any fan of progmetal should definitely check these guys out.  I already bought the album, in fact.
Score: 9

TAC

Band: Constantine
Album: Divine Design
Song: The Darkest Grace

Constantine is a Finnish melodic progressive metal band.  This song, The Darkest Grace, is great.  I found the music to be extremely well-crafted and the instrumentation to be very well-executed.  Some really, really great guitar work and the keyboard textures provide an excellent accompaniment.   Musically I definitely heard influences of Dream Theater/Fates Warning/Iron Maiden.  Some of the riffs here are just awesome head banging stuff.   Instrumentally, it smokes.  It's probably the best of this round in terms of music.  Unfortunately, the vocalist is....not my cup of tea.  Especially during the quieter parts of the music where the vocals are leading it.  When the music picks up and the vocals take more of a back seat, and/or when there are backing vocals mixed in, it gets a bit better, but overall, I just can't take this guy's vocal style and sound and I don't think I could handle a full album of it.

wolfking

Band: Vision Divine
Album: Destination Set To Nowhere
Song: Beyond The Sun and Far Away

I really do love concept albums, doesn't matter what the topic is.  This album, from German outfit Vision Divine doesn't disappoint on that front.  It's about a group of people who leave Earth in search of a better world.  Vocalist Fabio Lione (who is apparently new to the band), who did a very, very brief stint with Kamelot, is one of those high-register style vocalists, but he also sounds pretty good in the lower registers.  What stands out here is the guitar and keyboard playing, which I really enjoyed.  Although I have to admit the vocals are pretty well done as well.  All in all, even though I've sort of heard of this band before and listened to a few samples from them on Amazon, I was surprised at how much I ended up liking this song after I heard it a few times.  I will probably have to explore them further.
Score: 7.5

Leader Board:

obscure - 25.5
lonestar - 25.5
scorpion 23.5
TAC - 22.5
wolfking - 22.5
Dr. DTVT - 22
Elite - 21.5
jingle.boy - 21
nekov - 20.5
ich bin besser - 18.5

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 3 Results Up!
« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »
Distorted Harmony is awesome.
Squ

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »
Distorted Harmony is awesome.

I bought the digital album.  Listened to it once so far.  Excellent stuff  :hat

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »
Distorted Harmony and Constantine :heart I listened to Lazuli back when they got that album out but I don't remember any of it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
 :sad:

I can't seem to nail it.... I already know what to send next so let's hope everything goes well....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
 :laugh:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »
Kirk will definitely not like the vocals for Round 4 but I'm committed to the track, musically.

Kirk forgets that I PMd him last year some great Vision Divine tracks, including Beyond The Sun And Far Away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:01 AM »
:sad:

I can't seem to nail it.... I already know what to send next so let's hope everything goes well....

Ditto. Time to get radical.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2013, 11:39:22 AM »
Damn...  :-\
But to my defense: Lazuli is probably the best live band I know. Love those guys!
Hmm, what to submit next... I really have to think about that. And it won't happen before Saturday, I fear. Very busy schedule this week - at work, but also concert-wise.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2013, 11:52:41 AM »
And sent

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »
You know, I'd be doing so much better if you just loved the music I love the way I love it.

Oh, wait, you do for the most part - that's why I can't send my best gems... you have them all already!

Sent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
Nice, trust me, one you hear the whole album, you'll be amazed. As thorough a concept album as any I've heard.

So Nem and I are tied for the lead, this is gonna be fun. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:25:23 PM by lonestar »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
exactly hun  ;)
you or me.. all the same for me...  :-*

I'm in....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: May 13, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »
I may have to just kind of suck it up on the vocals for Constantine because musically, it's absolutely brilliant.  I've gone back to that song a few times for an extra listen or two.  The riffs and song craft are really outstanding.  A pretty long track seems to go by pretty quickly, but that vocalist..  :|   

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #243 on: May 13, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
exactly hun  ;)
you or me.. all the same for me...  :-*

I'm in....

o/

:biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni