Author Topic: A Rather Sketchy Top 50  (Read 13060 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: A Rather Sketchy Top 50
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »
Time Out.  :metal

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »
Love those two  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »
two spectacular albums
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
I'm listening to some Cold Fairyland samples on Amazon. They sound great! And The Lamb is an excellent album, even though I don't listen to it often.

Ghost Reveries and Time Out are also fantastic!  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
Ghost Reveries is by far the best Opeth album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2013, 10:35:19 PM »

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
Now, it is time to bring the MEHTUHL. Here are two heavier albums, both of which are rather popular on this forum.

9.   Dream Theater – Images And Words (1992)

This was the second Dream Theater album I heard, I seem to remember. I borrowed it off a friend who is also rather keen on this album, and I remember initially being surprised that I didn’t recognise the name of the keyboard player, having not really looked up the band much, and not realising that there had been some line-up changes. It was a while before this album rose to be my favourite album by this band, although I do remember initially thinking my computer had gone wrong when I first heard the synthesizer solo on Under A Glass Moon. It’s got a much lighter, shinier style than Scenes From A Memory, although I did like the fact that the song Metropolis had some similar riffs and melodies in it.

I didn’t really listen much to it until I heard Score a few months later, and wondered why this one song sounded so familiar. It was after that I really started listening to and appreciating this album for its sheer glory. It is definitely a rather eighties album, and although I am largely not keen on that style of eighties hair metal (even if it is quite fun when it comes on as incidental music), I really like the songwriting on this album, and that shininess really works for me here.

This album is one which I do put on if I just want something fun to bounce around to. It is highly enjoyable, and is something really rather special. Besides, it has all those silly little moments which just sound so fresh, even though they are over twenty years old. I guess some music never truly gets old, even if it has such a definitive style that was passing even at the time of its recording.

8.   Porcupine Tree – Fear Of A Blank Planet (2007)

My main recollection of my first term of university is of the Tuesday afternoon laboratory sessions, where I was paired up with this other long-haired, music-obsessed serial collector of instruments. The one main thing is that there was this album I’d never heard of by this band I’d never heard of that he was really into, and that it had this insane drum fill in the first song. Eventually, he played this album to me. I was hooked. I went out and bought it pretty soon afterwards, and to this day, I am still finding new things about it I’d never realised before (such as that almost video-game laser gun synthesizer noise on the title track).

I am a huge fan of the works of Steven Wilson, especially with respect to how he organises atmospherics in his music (yes, I know Barbieri is the one who played the synths and creating most of the atmosphere, but the atmospheres are really reminiscent of Steven Wilson). I like how oppressive yet expansive the textures feel here, and how cleverly they are worked into the songs. This is an album which truly eats time like nothing else quite can, and I have spent many days lying on the sofa and just spacing out to this music.

Naturally, as a result, shortly after this, I did buy the entire studio discography of Porcupine Tree in the space of a year (layabout student I was, listening to progressive rock rather than spending my time down the pub, like I should have been doing. Such laziness I’d never dream of displaying now). Either way, this album’s strength, like all Porcupine Tree for me, is in how it creates soundscapes with layers and layers of textural elements. It all is rather experimental in a way, but still slick enough for that to not really be particularly evident.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
Two more spectacular albums. :metal

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
I think I'm in the minority here with those two albums. I&W is my third favorite DT album (it seems like the majority of people here rank it as their favorite or second favorite) and FOABP isn't one of my top five PT albums. However, I still love them and they're both brilliant.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »
Now for my first vinyl and also my first album ever truly owned (well, alongside Wish You Were Here and Foxtrot). I have huge love for both of these, one of which is massively divisive with fans of its respective makers and the other I think is often sadly overlooked when people discuss the discography of the band which produced it.

7.   Storm Corrosion – Storm Corrosion (2012)

This album is somewhat of an experience, and as you can tell, it’s one I like a lot. It’s not exactly like anything I have heard before or since, so I’m not entirely sure how to do the write-up of this album. It is the first album I ever owned on vinyl or blu-ray, and to be honest, I’ve not yet had the chance to hear it on either of those, but I’m sure I will at some point. I find the album to be very heavy. As you will no doubt know, it is distinctly not heavy in a metallic fashion, but atmospherically, it is very oppressive, viscous and a bit frightening.

As you may have gathered so far, that is the sort of heavy I most enjoy. This album is distinctly non-conventional, and has prompted at least two people I know to check their speakers weren’t actually just broken. I also played it to one of my housemates when we first moved in to our current place, and he wasn’t quite sure whether my computer was just going wrong or whether the music was just intermittently being weird again. It turned out my computer was going wrong.

That isn’t to detract from the album at all, however. The album is, for want of a better term, distinctly fascinating, and somewhat puzzling, but I like that. I like that a hell of a lot. It is best to enter into listening to this album for the first time with zero expectations, as no matter how close it is to what they were, it will still be something entirely incomprehensible, and for that reason, amazing. It just depends if you’ll be amazed that something so wonderful can exist or how something so terrible could have been made.

6.   Genesis – Nursery Cryme (1971)

This is an album I was given for my thirteenth birthday, alongside Foxtrot and Wish You Were Here, both of which are albums I very much like. My father gave me the albums, as about six months previously, I had listened to Dark Side Of The Moon, and decided it was amazing, and Pink Floyd being one of his favourite bands, he decided he’d give me some albums of his other favourite band, Genesis.

What is it about Nursery Cryme which makes it so special for me? Well, I think it probably was the first of the three which I listened to, but it just clicked instantly. From the first opening notes I thought it was brilliant. This is an album which manages to be spooky, whimsical, grandiose, beautiful and above all, intensely fun. Not just that, but it manages this without anything sounding out of place or forced. It would be easy to forget the shorter, acoustic songs like For Absent Friends and Harlequin, but somehow they still hold their own against the memorably grand songs like The Fountain Of Salmacis, incidentally, being my favourite song by Genesis.

This is another album I feel is completely unique to me in a funny sort of way. There are few bands, I feel, who could have managed to contain all the elements that this album displays and not feel incoherent. This is one more album I feel will always be on this list.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »
I love Storm Corrosion. It exceeded my (admittedly high) expectations and I'm still blown away listening to it.
I find the album to be very heavy. As you will no doubt know, it is distinctly not heavy in a metallic fashion, but atmospherically, it is very oppressive, viscous and a bit frightening.
Well said. I know so many fans of Wilson and Akerfeldt were disappointed that this wasn't more metal or whatever, but I prefer this type of heaviness over traditional metal/prog metal.

And Nursery Cryme is a favorite of mine too. It's probably my favorite or second favorite Genesis album.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
this is the second mention for each of these albums in top 50 lists
Winger would be better!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »
I love Storm Corrosion. It exceeded my (admittedly high) expectations and I'm still blown away listening to it.
I find the album to be very heavy. As you will no doubt know, it is distinctly not heavy in a metallic fashion, but atmospherically, it is very oppressive, viscous and a bit frightening.
Well said. I know so many fans of Wilson and Akerfeldt were disappointed that this wasn't more metal or whatever, but I prefer this type of heaviness over traditional metal/prog metal.

And Nursery Cryme is a favorite of mine too. It's probably my favorite or second favorite Genesis album.

I think I would have been dissapointed if it had been metally, but yes, I also massively prefer a heaviness that plays on my mind rather than one which is straight up aggressive, although, I do like traditional heavy too.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »
this is the second mention for each of these albums in top 50 lists

First mention of Nursery Cryme was Lolzeez. :lol

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »
So yeah, here's a post with two of my favourite currently active musicians. One is a full band album, and one is a solo album, one of which is probably the most unique thing on this entire list, but both of which have a fair amount of experimentation, albeit one being a lot more uncompromising and dark than the other, despite being not being the one which is least similar to anything else. Actually, they're both a little dark, just one of them is in mandarin.

5.   Lin Di – Bride In Legend (2004)

One thing that seems a real shame to me is how terrible a lot of Chinese contemporary music is. I remember in my time there (and this is backed up by Chinese friends of mine too) that a lot of it sounds like 90s pop, but with anything that could have been mistaken for being good taken out. A lot of it is truly awful. One person I know even commented that to her, it was like China was constantly trying to throw away its wonderfully rich traditional heritage.

This album, however, is very much an antithesis to that. One of the things I love about the music Lin Di does is that she takes that wonderful traditional music heritage which is part of what makes China so special for me, and she effortlessly combines it with European forms of rock and also other more western genres. This is what makes the Bride In Legend album so fantastically unique and beautiful.

The album is entirely in mandarin, and I find the way it is sung here to have such a liquid feel to it. It just flows nicely with the music and altogether just helps make this one of the most wonderfully emotion-filled albums I have, even if I don’t really understand what is being sung.

4.   Porcupine Tree – Signify (1996)

Signify is an interesting beast. At once it is very psychedelic and abstract, and at the same time, quite straightforward. Porcupine Tree, for me, are one of the crowning bands in terms of atmospheric wonderment and the ability to create music that, for me, it is possible to drift into a mindset where I no longer am required to focus on small details or think about anything in particular, which is rather liberating and fantastic to paint to. As a consequence of this, there have been many hours on dark winter nights where I have been lying on the sofa listening to this album. There’s usually a dog (or three) on the sofa too, as removing my dogs from the sofa was recognised as a futile activity years ago. They aren’t always overly keen on the noises during Sever, but they don’t seem to mind too much.

What is my favourite part of the album? I really don’t know. I think I’d have to answer “all of it” if asked that. To me, it is a very coherent and consistent piece, almost a slab of music, and I look forward to getting a vinyl player, so I can hear the final side of the album which the CD does not have. I have also noted that the vinyl has a rather nice shiny pattern on the cover which shows up in certain light as well, so I sometimes take it out to look at.

I will admit that it took me a while to get into all parts of the album, especially Light Mass Prayers, but even if I thoroughly disliked that track, this album would at least make it onto this list for such lovely moments as the guitar solos on Waiting (Phase One) and the bit where the bass and the drum loop enter on Idiot Prayer. Hell, the entire thing is just great.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Re: A Rather Sketchy Top 50: Sod it, Another Update
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »
Ok, more prog for you now. One modern and one old. Enjoy.

3.   King Crimson – Lizard (1970)

This album is probably one which won’t appear in many lists of this nature. Even when I mention that this is my favourite King Crimson album to most King Crimson fans, I get a look which mixes pity with absolute distain for my perceived lack of taste. To be perfectly honest, it took me about two years to even consider this an album I liked, but it’s just one of those which just has that effect which makes you keep coming back to it just to work out what the hell it is you thought you heard in that first listen which prevented you from writing it off instantly. Despite its all-out cacophony and assortment of seemingly careless noises, there is something. There is something really subtle about this album.

My appreciation started with hearing Lady Of The Dancing Water. That was the point of the album I knew I liked. There’s nothing quite like it. It’s calm, it’s lovely, and just sublime. The rest of the first side gradually grew on me, despite it’s clumsiness, and I quickly grew to love the first part of the title track. It’s so unsettling, and feels like a shard of ice coming out of the speakers.

Eventually, I think I began to get comfortable with the album, and then I realised that there was a bit in the title track which enters in a very classical manner, but then everything starts becoming more jazzy, and eventually it all really begins to groove. When I realised this, I was making a cake, and I had to stop my baking because I was so surprised. I had to sit down (with my half-made cake mix) and just listen to the rest of it. It’s once I noticed that part (the drums don’t change their pattern throughout that section, which almost makes it more amazing), suddenly the rest of the album made sense to me. There is nothing like this album, and to be honest, I’m glad that there’s nothing like this album, as I don’t think anything else would do justice to it. To say it is a grower is somewhat of an understatement.

2.   Steven Wilson – The Raven Who Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) (2013)

Yes, this is probably a little recent, but there’s something about this album which makes it really brilliant to me, and so I feel justified in putting it here. I think this album probably would be regarded as a progressive masterpiece had it been released forty years earlier. I wouldn’t say it’s out of place being released this year, because it really has an edge to it which still makes it feel current, but it is also an album which feels like one of the classic progressive records. It has everything, from jazz drums to orchestras and some manic instrumental talent the entire way through.

This album is one which really does come across as distinctly a Steven Wilson record, even if his name on the cover wasn’t enough. Even though it is far more upbeat than his other recent efforts, and far more earthy sounding than Porcupine Tree, it still has that distinct, dark atmosphere. It’s a dense album, and probably about as psychedelic as Porcupine Tree’s highest points. The use of flute and saxophone is also rather nice, and something which probably helps add to how much like classic prog this album feels. I also like the prominence of the twelve string guitar.

I remember when my copy of this album arrived (I bought the book), when I read it, annoyingly the light I was using was not keeping a constant brightness. Irritating at the best of times, combined with the book, it was just downright spooky. The artwork is also somewhat wonderful, and not much less spooky than the text itself, especially under a flickering light.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2013, 10:49:58 AM »
Didn't see your previous post - Signify is a neat record! :tup TRTRTS is pretty high indeed, but it's the best SW solo album IMO.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »
SIGNIFY!!!!

Also, the rest of your top 11 is looking great (although I don't know Lin Di), but the love for Signify is great. I love the album. My second favourite Porcupine Tree album, but one that gets better over the years. Someday, it will overtake In Absentia and enter my top 10 as well, I suppose. And that day is coming soon.

Signify :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »
This update is great!!  :tup

I absolutely love Lizard. It's not even in my top 3 Crimson albums (that's just because they had so many great albums) but it's still a near perfect album.

The Raven is still my album of the year, and I think it'll keep that title.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
Glad you guys are enjoying. When I originally drew up the list, the top five was basically Steven Wilson projects plus the current number one (to be revealed when I've written it up), but then Lizard clicked and shuffled right up there. It's nice to see other people's love for Signify and Lizard, though. They seem to be two of the more overlooked ones sometimes.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
first mention of Lizard

first 2013 album to appear in a list
Winger would be better!

Offline adace

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »
Lizard and Raven are both fantastic :tup

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »
FERNEERL ERRRRRLBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERM

1.   Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

I know this probably comes across as a rather cliché choice, but this is, and probably always will remain, my favourite album of all time. Why? There are many things I love about this album, some music related and some just because they give me sentimental attachment to it. I guess this is the album which first got me to really appreciate music as art rather than that background noise that goes on. I guess the story really began when I was searching through the stack of old records my father kept behind the arm chair at home. Admittedly, I was just fascinated by the artworks on the covers and the black discs inside rather than what was contained on those discs. This one, I remember, was one of the more striking ones and it must have stuck in my mind.

A few months later, optics was being covered in science class (ah, back in year eight, probably just under eleven years ago now), and there was this picture in the textbook of this prism. The teacher was evidently a bit of a Pink Floyd fan and asked if anyone knew which album this was the cover to. It must have been the last week of term as I got chocolate for being the only person who had any idea, and I’m pretty sure it was in mid-summer.

Anyway, I went home and asked what this “Pink Floyd” thing sounded like, to which my father handed me the CD and just told me to sit in the front room and listen to it. I was instantly captivated by it. Music like this was something totally alien to me beforehand. There were no instant beginnings to songs, there were few defined boundaries between songs, even. There were huge changes in mood and sounds throughout, and no matter what sound was at the forefront, it all sounded so full and complete.

Before, I had never come across the idea of music using general sounds, like cash registers or even people talking, to give it another dimension, but that’s exactly what this album did. Since then, I have always been a fan of carefully placed samples to just enrich the music. It almost gives it a connection to the world around, rather than just being this thing which you are merely listening to. It is something which I personally feel causes me to feel completely absorbed into the music, and not merely observe it from afar.

It’s not just the samples, either. The haunting lap-steel guitars on Breathe and The Great Gig In The Sky make the most wonderful sounds. There’s this beautiful, ethereal quality to them which just feels like it adds this really fluid, yet chilling, feel to the music. It also reminded me of one of my favourite worlds in the first Spyro game, which was one of my favourites at the time.

Keyboards were another dimension to music I’d not really come across (despite taking keyboard lessons at the time), as most of the music I heard on the radio in my father’s car was very guitar based, to the point that the guitar was almost an uninteresting sound. However, I’d never come across the beautiful piano sounds, futuristic synthesizer sounds and almost ocean-like organ sounds which this album has. They just added this intrigue which I had not felt before in music. That’s not to say that I found the guitar sounds on this album to be uninteresting, because they really were not the sounds I was used to. I had not before encountered those full soloing tones, I had not encountered that languid tone which is found all over Breathe, this album just had an organic and natural feel I had not come across.

I ended up playing this album so very frequently afterwards, there must have been a period where I would listen to it twice, even three times a day, almost every day. This was something special. I found a friend of mine was also into Pink Floyd, a little while later, and so there came a period where whenever we bumped into each other, every sentence either of us spoke to each other would have either a Pink Floyd song title, album name or lyric hidden in it. Well, not really hidden, sometimes they would be the sentence.

My father’s old room at my grandparents’ house had this poster in it of four men with long hair in an outside environment. I’d always been fascinated by this poster and wondered what the hell it was from. Unfortunately, my grandmother had thrown it away about three months before I realised that it was Dark Side Of The Moon era Pink Floyd. Shame really, I’d have loved to have had that poster.

Anyway, when I left school and went to teach in China before I began my time at university, I had cooled off on listening to this album quite so often a lot (maybe even listening to it only once every two weeks), for the last lesson I gave, it didn’t really feel right to give a standard lesson. I wanted to share something which I felt was special to me with the class, and I wanted to give them a taste of just what was regarded as one of the most important musical works in the west. So, I got my laptop, one of them found speakers, and I just played them this album. It was a really special moment (although there was a pause and a rushing around to find batteries when the speaker ran out of battery in the middle of Brain Damage). I like to think that more than three of us in that room of fifty one thought it was good.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2013, 02:44:34 AM »
I kind of never comment on top 50 lists because I rarely have anything to say but that is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read on this forum.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2013, 02:54:17 AM »
Thanks. I'm glad you liked. I had intended to make the post shorter, but I kind of got caught up in it all, so I decided to put the album on again. It's been months since I last heard it, and it still feels like the first.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
Great finish! Honestly, it's not even one of my favourite PF albums, but I still enjoy it a lot, and your write-up was great. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »
9th listing for DSOTM.  The previous high ranking for the album was 3rd by WebRaider.
Winger would be better!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
Outstanding album (I had it at #11) and a great write-up. Also my favourite PF album and an all-time favourite :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »
DSOTM isn't even my favorite Floyd album, but of course it's a classic. I enjoyed the list, there is some overlap in our tastes :)

Offline adace

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2013, 12:51:55 AM »
A fine album to put at #1. :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2013, 03:11:22 AM »
Great album!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2013, 03:18:13 AM »
I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Thanks for following this, it's been pretty fun, and yeah.

thanks.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
DTSOTM is outstanding. There's nothing else to really say about it, other than it'll always be a favorite of mine.

This list has been great! Really enjoyed following it.