Author Topic: Defiance (SyFy TV series)  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Defiance (SyFy TV series)
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:54:29 PM »
Anyone plan on watching it? I think it looks like it could be pretty good, and since I heard a lot of people involved with Battlestar Galactica are working on it, I'm pretty hopeful that it'll be decent.

Here's the official website: https://www.defiance.com/en/

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Defiance (SyFy TV series)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm very interested in it.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »
Yep. I like the majority of he shows that SyFy puts out a d his one looks cool also. I think it looks like its either going to be pretty good, or pretty bad... With no in between. But from what I've seen and read I hunk I'm going to dig it.
  Do you think there will be enough support for an 'Official Discussion' thread?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »
The previews haven't excited me much at this point, but as a scifi fan I will definitely be checking it out and hoping it's good.
I have no interest in the game though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:53:37 AM »
I may watch it, the game seems pretty cool and i like the fact that they work in conjunction with the show.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 05:32:56 AM »
Count me in as well.  I liked Continuum & Eureka.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 05:37:10 AM »
This show is on my radar, and I'll probably watch it shortly after it airs (I barely watch anything live anymore).

As for the game, I never pay full, introductory prices for them unless it's a title that I've been anticipating. I might consider it in a few months when the price comes down and there is more information available on it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 05:48:33 AM »
Count me in as well.  I liked Continuum & Eureka.

I've still been meaning to check out Continuum, although I'm reluctant to get invested in any new scifi show anymore until I know it's going to last. I watched a few episodes of Eureka though, and found it to be weak fluff with no personality.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:24:45 AM »
You have to follow the story arc blob.  It was on the fluffy side, but good non the less.  Continuum is serious and I like the sotryline.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 07:12:32 AM »
You have to follow the story arc blob.  It was on the fluffy side, but good non the less.  Continuum is serious and I like the sotryline.
Yeah, I thought Eureka was good. It didn't take itself serious and he characters interacted well together. I've been curious about Continuum and have been told by folks it's good, I just don't know if I want to try and catch up with the series. How many seasons/episodes has it been on?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 07:13:47 AM »
Yeah, I thought Eureka was good. It didn't take itself serious and he characters interacted well together. I've been curious about Continuum and have been told by folks it's good, I just don't know if I want to try and catch up with the series. How many seasons/episodes has it been on?

It's only had 1 season / 10 episodes so far, so there's not a lot to catch up on.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »

It's only had 1 season / 10 episodes so far, so there's not a lot to catch up on.
Thanks, that's fairly reasonable to catch up with. I can ignore my wife and kids for a weekend to do so :lol I was under the impression that series had been around longer

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
I'll be watching it for sure. Thanks for letting me know this exists
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:32 AM »
Just finished watching it. It was ok. I'll probably keep watching for now to see how it develops, but tbh I wouldn't be interested in it if there wasn't such a drought on scifi right now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 07:09:16 AM »
Just finished watching it. It was ok. I'll probably keep watching for now to see how it develops, but tbh I wouldn't be interested in it if there wasn't such a drought on scifi right now.
Pretty much this. It was alright. Enough to keep me entertained. But the storyline is nothing new or groundbreaking.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 07:32:47 AM »
Contemplated recording the premiere last night, but decided not to.  I'm already watching enough TV, have a lot of books on the 'to-read' list; have a Netflix subscription I don't use enough, and a whack load of concert DVD's still in the wrapper.

aside... Continuum is fantastic.  Season 2 premiere comes this Sunday in Canada (on Showcase).  Not sure when SyFy is starting it up.  I think it will have staying power.  As a Showcase original series, got  the highest ratings they've ever had.  It's in the same time-slot as last year, so assuming the story doesn't go in the tanker, it should last.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »

+1 for Continuum. It has it's moments when it's pure hollywood compyter/scifi garbage of cliches but overall it's pretty fantastic. And getting picked for a second season was a great surprise for me - a pleasant one (glad to see someone giving a non-hit scifi show a chance with a second season instead of canning it if it's not Lost-big). It's serious but it has enough of a comedy/light moments to balance it out.
Also... Rachel Nichols.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »
Guys, this thread is about a show named "Defiance". Not "Continuum", OK? Sheesh.

Anyway, caught the first few minutes. It seemed pretty good, but then I had to run. I did record it, though, so I will be checking back.

The general consensus seems to be "good, not great" or "OK" from what I've seen here and from friends in real life. I can live with that. Hopefully it'll get better.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »
The general consensus seems to be "good, not great" or "OK" from what I've seen here and from friends in real life. I can live with that. Hopefully it'll get better.

Yeah, the general consensus I've gotten from online is "decent, but has potential". A lot of the scifi shows I like had pretty weak pilots though, and there's plenty of potential for it to grow, and it wasn't a bad pilot by any means.

On an unrelated note, I really liked the surly alien doctor.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »
For what it's worth, I didn't really like Battlestar Galactica's "mini-series" premier either.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »
Finally watched the pilot. I didn't love it, but I liked it a lot, and the characters were undeniably strong. I'm looking forward to watching the next episode, which is still recorded and waiting to be watched.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »
I've already mostly forgotten the second episode already. Nothing too exciting happened.