Author Topic: HISTORY Channel's (2) New Shows - Tonight (3-3-13)  (Read 4204 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
HISTORY Channel's (2) New Shows - Tonight (3-3-13)
« on: March 03, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
Anyone else plan on watching the two new shows that begin tonight on The History Channel? There is 'The Bible'....produced by Survivors Mark Burnett and his wife. From the few clips I've seen it looks pretty well made, I'm looking forward to it. It's running for the next (5) weeks...two hours shows.

And then there is a new series called 'The Vikings'. It too looks to be well done. It has a 'Braveheart' feel from the clips I've seen. I don't know if it's a mini series or if they are just planning to produce season after season..I haven't looked that much in to it other that to schedule my DVR to record it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: HISTORY Channel's (2) New Shows - Tonight (3-3-13)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:25 PM »
I think the wife and I are going to check out the Bible show.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
As long as this guy is not involved then I'll check it out,

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
I'm so pumped for Vikings. It looks like its going to a really good show.  :metal

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 01:27:14 PM »
I'm so pumped for Vikings. It looks like its going to a really good show.  :metal
The production quality looks amazing. I hope the story and writing can match it. I am excited for this one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »

I saw the trailer, and it looked like it's channeling Game of Thrones.

Which isn't a bad thing. :lol I'll definitely be checking it out.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 08:49:42 PM »

I saw the trailer, and it looked like it's channeling Game of Thrones.
Ragnarok is coming.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »
I don't mind production value and storylines, as long as it STICKS TO FUCKING HISTORY.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »
Anyone know any good sites for watching history documentaries? Like what History Channel used to show? When they were about history? Cuz they name their network "The History Channel."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Anyone know any good sites for watching history documentaries? Like what History Channel used to show? When they were about history? Cuz they name their network "The History Channel."

They should pull a SyFy and rename it to "The Hysterie Channel" and get out of their obligations on phonetic semantics.

In fact, is there any channel that hasn't completely abandoned its original premise to just show cheap reality shows?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
ITT: Blob and _floyd become kindred spirits through mutual crotchety jadedness.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 09:14:33 PM »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 09:19:32 PM »
I felt like they left a TON of key points out of The Bible. Vikings was relatively boring. But, I know what happens with Ragnar Lodbrok, so I'll keep watching.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »
I felt like they left a TON of key points out of The Bible. Vikings was relatively boring. But, I know what happens with Ragnar Lodbrok, so I'll keep watching.
Agree about 'The Bible'. I understand that they can't tell every story in detail but man. They made several jumps that hopped and skipped over some details. All in all I liked it though.

I thought 'Vikings' was cool. Ragnars old lady is hot! It does have that Game of Thrones feel but I like that atmosphere. Ill end up watching both series for sure.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
I only watched the first hour or so of "Bible" and wasn't that impressed.  The pacing was awful, given the decision to have more stories-less substance rather than fewer stories-more substance.  Production values were higher than I thought they would be, and there are a few great shots.  Maybe it's because I've read these stories continuously since I was child, but the difference between how I imagined these scenes and how it was presented just clashed too often and took me out of the experience. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 04:47:50 AM »

In fact, is there any channel that hasn't completely abandoned its original premise to just show cheap reality shows?

Maybe I sound like a loser for saying so, but this is partly why if I turn on a TV, 50% it's for cartoons.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 04:55:44 AM »

Maybe I sound like a loser for saying so, but this is partly why if I turn on a TV, 50% it's for cartoons.

Nah, it's the same for me too, if not an even higher percentage. I do enjoy Survivor and The Amazing Race, but aside from that, it's all cartoons, and a few comedies.
And I'm currently down to only one scifi show airing right now, despite it being my favourite genre. If only there was a channel that could show some scifi..................

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 05:34:45 AM »
Olol.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
Caught Vikings. Could be interesting. I expected a slow first episode to get into the whole world and characters. Some of the pacing was off and some of the scenes didn't really fit in but I'll at least tune in for next week.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
I only watched the first hour or so of "Bible" and wasn't that impressed.  The pacing was awful, given the decision to have more stories-less substance rather than fewer stories-more substance.  Production values were higher than I thought they would be, and there are a few great shots.  Maybe it's because I've read these stories continuously since I was child, but the difference between how I imagined these scenes and how it was presented just clashed too often and took me out of the experience.
I have to admit I was a bit let down and agree that the decision to go for 'more stories, less substance' is probably going to bug me the entire series. I understand that they probably are trying to please a broad audience and aren't specifically targetting 'Christians', but man....I had a hard time not thinking about the things they skipped over.
 As you said the production is good....that is a huge bonus for the show. But I would have preferred a 10 series show that covered it all rather than a 5 series show that touched on things here and there...and doesn't mention other things at all.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
You can catch the second episode of Vikings on Hulu. It's better than episode one, but the pacing is just as bad.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
You can catch the second episode of Vikings on Hulu. It's better than episode one, but the pacing is just as bad.
I didn't mind the pacing as much...I was just chalking it up to character intro's and series set up type stuff. Out of the two (Bible/Vikings) I was far more impressed with Vikings. Do you know if this is a mini series or something the History channel plans to run as a 'series'?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »
I think a series. But, there is only so much you can do with Ragnar Lodbrok

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
Episode 2 of Vikings wasn't bad. I'll catch it again but there still hasn't been a real hook yet.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »
Episode 2 of Vikings wasn't bad. I'll catch it again but there still hasn't been a real hook yet.
I've got it on DVR...haven't had the chance to watch it.

Very disappointed and underwhelmed by 'The Bible'. I can't get past the amount of info. they are gleening over and even the way they are presenting the things they are presenting. I understand that they are trying to fit this in a 5 part series....but I think the fact that they have condensed it so much is actually hurting how powerful this series could have been. Disappointed is where I'm at with it. I am hoping for better once they get to the New Testament...but I don't have my hopes up.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
I haven't watch any of the series out of disinterest, but for the people who are interested I do understand why there should have been many more episodes instead of the planned 5. Some stories, especially Moses, need a 2 hour block on their own.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
I haven't watch any of the series out of disinterest, but for the people who are interested I do understand why there should have been many more episodes instead of the planned 5. Some stories, especially Moses, need a 2 hour block on their own.
They blew through Moses in like 20 minutes. Like my brother said though...if he's going to watch a movie about Moses he's going straight to 'The Ten Commandments' with Chuck Heston. I wouldn't expect them to try and top that movie, but Moses deserves more than a half hour block of time.
 This series is really just like the quick hit 'notes' of the Bible. It really does appear to me that Burnett was/is more interested in appealing to those who may have never read or aren't familiar with the Bible at all rather than those who are more studied in it. I'm by no means a Biblical scholar....but I have read the Bible multiple times and am familiar with the content within...and this series really misses the mark with me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
What was fascinating to me is that they glossed over so much....and embellished so much else!   Abraham rescuing Lot and just being portrayed like a Samurai badass action hero just cracked me up.   

I mean, I'm not denying that there was a battle to rescue Lot...but the almost "bloodlust" look in his eyes as he slaughtered the enemy with what could almost be described as "delight" was laughable.   

ABRAHAM THE DESTROYER!!!!   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:01 PM »
What was fascinating to me is that they glossed over so much....and embellished so much else!   Abraham rescuing Lot and just being portrayed like a Samurai badass action hero just cracked me up.   

I mean, I'm not denying that there was a battle to rescue Lot...but the almost "bloodlust" look in his eyes as he slaughtered the enemy with what could almost be described as "delight" was laughable.   

my wife and I were cracking up at the looks he was giving Lot and his wife after the "battle"
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 05:49:08 AM »

That part about Abraham and Lot was really the only thing I've seen from the series.

It kind of made me not want to watch any more.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
I saw one episode of "The Bible" and it was pretty bad. They skipped a lot, too. Abraham spares his son and AW SNAP OUTTA TIME LETS MOVE ON TO MOSES!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
I saw one episode of "The Bible" and it was pretty bad. They skipped a lot, too. Abraham spares his son and AW SNAP OUTTA TIME LETS MOVE ON TO MOSES!

No no....they didn't skip Lot...he was in there.

:hat
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 05:56:23 AM »
Anyone been watching Vikings? Love it! Great show!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
Anyone been watching Vikings? Love it! Great show!
Yep. It is pretty good. I like it a lot. I'm just curious as to how many seasons they can get out of it. After the series began I did a brief history lesson about Ragnel and there isn't a whole lot to go off of. At the risk of spoiling anything, it's a fairly simple story
  I dig the show though. Production is top notch and the actors are great also. Definitely a good surprise of a series....kind of out of nowhere. It's really the poor mans version of Game of Thrones. The History Channel is definitely trying to cash in on that genre, and doing a good job at it IMO.