Author Topic: A teaser from my band The Storyline  (Read 950 times)

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
A teaser from my band The Storyline
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
Here's a teaser from my band The Storyline. We compiled this from our demos and will be hitting the studio this summer :) let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_7lFUChOw

- Tiko

Offline Tiko

Re: A teaser from my band The Storyline
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:50:49 AM »
I'd love to get some feedback  :metal

- Tiko

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun  :metal

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
More substantial feedback:

How much I enjoyed a particular clip was inversely related to how much it sounded like DT. For some of it, I couldn't stop thinking "Man, this sounds just like DT". But the stuff that sounded different was noticeably more appealing to me.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
EDIT: Wrote this before PC replied.
I just listened to the video and I guess nobody has replied yet, so here it goes, with the giant caveat that this is just my personal opinion:

Thing is, it's by no means terrible. Everything is executed well, well mixed etc. But my issue is that it's "prog by numbers". Keys? Check. Meter and key changes? Check. Instrumental section? Check.
So, all the pieces are there, but in all those sample in the video I didn't hear a song.

To make it more constructive, let me ask you, how do you guys write songs? One danger with these big prog bands of 5+ members is that they attempt to write a song together. What you get in the end is a pasted-together sequences of ideas. Problem is that prog almost invites this kind of writing because non-sequitur transitions are almost expected.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline growthmusic57

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
Good stuff, guys. Great production as well (I'm especially fond of the bass tone). I gotta agree with rumborak's "prog by numbers" comment though.

Offline Tiko

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:41:45 AM »
EDIT: Wrote this before PC replied.
I just listened to the video and I guess nobody has replied yet, so here it goes, with the giant caveat that this is just my personal opinion:

Thing is, it's by no means terrible. Everything is executed well, well mixed etc. But my issue is that it's "prog by numbers". Keys? Check. Meter and key changes? Check. Instrumental section? Check.
So, all the pieces are there, but in all those sample in the video I didn't hear a song.

To make it more constructive, let me ask you, how do you guys write songs? One danger with these big prog bands of 5+ members is that they attempt to write a song together. What you get in the end is a pasted-together sequences of ideas. Problem is that prog almost invites this kind of writing because non-sequitur transitions are almost expected.

I get what you're saying. Looking back it's maybe a bit hard to grasp, there are short parts from different songs with maybe too little context.

As for writing, I usually write with our lead guitarist. We never get too many cooks in the kitchen as we know what that can result to.

We'll be hitting the studio this summer so I'll post full songs in the autumn and it'll be easier to get into the songs.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any feedback we can get  ;)

- Tiko