Author Topic: Ruba and his Top 50 DT songs!  (Read 10812 times)

Offline Ruba

Ruba and his Top 50 DT songs!
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
Alright folks, here it comes. Because my taste is pretty eclectic in general, this list will contain some surprises.

50. One Last Time
The main reason for low position is the song's length. But it's not the cornerstone of SFAM, just a short song carrying the story forward. Anyway, it is one of my favourites off SFAM, bringing many beautiful moments and a nice Strange Deja-vu reprise. I only complain for one little detail: why the band didn't hire a female vocalist for Victoria's role? James's fragile girly voice doesn't do the justice for the character.

49. Burning My Soul
Whenever I feel depressed, I order a pizza and listen to this song. It makes me feel much better.

Jokes aside. Probably the most simple DT song to date, which is nice. The little anarchist inside me likes, when prog bands make downright simple songs (Rush's The Larger Bowl is another). Super heavy, industrial-esque riffing paired with James's raspy vocals and the cake is iced with a facemelting keyboard solo. Rock'n'roll!

48. Bridges in the Sky
Intro is seriously my favourite part. It creates a soothing athmosphere, and the throat-singing adds a nice touch. Nothing wrong with the tricky riffing with the seven-string though. Mike Mangini shows that he's a capable replacement for Portnoy, excellent drumming by him. The chorus soars into nearly-unprecedented heights. However, the instrumental section is a little let-down for me, aside from the guitar solo it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. The intro and the chorus make this song after all worthy for my list.

47. Erotomania
I used to play this a lot with guitar (not the solos, I ain't that good :lol), and the main patterns are very fun to play still. Many different sections flow seamless into each other, forming a cool instrumental track. Every member shines in this one.

And no, I'm not leaving without mentioning the third guitar solo, which was a mindblowing experience for a 14-years old me..

46. The Ones Who Helped to Set the Sun
The biggest oddball on WDADU and one of their most experimental tracks on the whole catalog. The intro has some samples, an element I'd like to hear more on their music. The lengthy Moore-fest is indeed very intriguing. After three minutes the song explodes with double-pedal-driven drums into the first verse. The chord progressions aren't not the most traditional, but they work very well. The chorus is pretty catchy. Charlie's song fits the song like a glove.

As I've said before, I like Dominici and the production doesn't really matter, as a matter of fact, a bad production has its own charm, especially these days when most of metal albums sound pretty same production-wise. In the core, there are a bunch of young and talented musicians, making music the way they like it. They just needed a better vocalist and some experience in songwriting (TOWHTSTS's intro sounds like a separate song, not that I would mind it, just saying), then the prog world was at their feet.

Feel free to follow or not to follow. I'll try to keep rather fast pace with this one.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Ruba and his Top 50 DT songs!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »
I'm-a-liking your writeups :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
Cool picks! BITS is way higher for me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »
Good start. Since you dislike lots of the usual picks (I think, from what I've gathered), this could shape to be quite interesting.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 02:37:59 AM »
TOWHTSTS is too low :biggrin: Just kidding, I'll be following - your taste isn't the most typical one compared to most DT fans, so this could be interesting.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:39:40 AM »
There is one song that is definitely too low, and it isn't TWOTHWOTWS
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 03:55:39 AM »
I'll follow, it's going to be interesting. Nice picks so far, :heart for WDADU :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Ruba

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 06:25:34 AM »
I'm-a-liking your writeups :)

Cool. I'm honoured, because your top 50 was very fun to read.

Thanks for response everyone. Because I've got some time on my hands, I'll give you the next 5 songs, because I'm not sure if I can use computer tomorrow.

45. These Walls
A softer song, showing a departure of the neck-breaking riffwork and heavy drums of Train of Thought. But I don't mind, I'm more into this kind of music. Quite emotional one, driven by beautiful keyboard melodies. I like songs with changes in dynamics, and the contrast between verses and choruses is indeed huge. I like the lyrics and I can relate them well, I have had some hard time to take contact with another.

44. The Spirit Carries On
DT doing gospel? Awesome. When the female singers join the song, it brings a nearly religious feel. Starting with just piano and vocals, the songs grows little by little and becomes finally a massive, touching ballad. Great solo by JP.

43. Overture 1928
As with OLT, this song doesn't raise any higher, because its purpose is not to be a magnum opus. Anyway, I prefer it to some generally more liked songs on SFAM. It features many good sections in only four minutes, the catchiest being the one later used on Strange Deja-vu ("I just can't help myself...").

42. Hollow Years
I used to dislike this song, because "it is too pop". Well, it is poppy, but so what? A beautiful song, which graps your hand and lifts you up when you're down, saying "Once the cloud that's raining over your head disappears". Señor Juan Petrucci plays some bueno Spanish-esque classical guitar. However, the modulation of the last chorus is unnecessary. We're not in the Eurovision Song Contest.

41. Breaking All Illusions
Whereas I'm not the biggest fan of ADTOE, I must admit that this song is one of their best works in the five latest albums. Even though it's proggy, I don't feel it's proggy for prog's sake. The song goes through multiple different moods, from melancholic to uplifting. And the guitar solo is just majestic..

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 07:47:35 AM »
Amazing songs. Only one didn't make my list. (HY)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 07:59:53 AM »
42. Hollow Years
However, the modulation of the last chorus is unnecessary. We're not in the Eurovision Song Contest.
:sadpanda: I really like that part.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 08:05:26 AM »
Yeah, the modulation is nice - my only complaint about Hollow Years is the ending: "once the stone you're crawling under... once the stone you're crawling under... once the stone you're crawling under... once the stone you're crawling under... once the stone you're crawling under... once the stone you're crawling under..." :facepalm:

BAI is much higher on my list, but it's nice to see These Walls and 1928 :)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »
45. These Walls
A softer song, showing a departure of the neck-breaking riffwork and heavy drums of Train of Thought. But I don't mind, I'm more into this kind of music. Quite emotional one, driven by beautiful keyboard melodies. I like songs with changes in dynamics, and the contrast between verses and choruses is indeed huge. I like the lyrics and I can relate them well, I have had some hard time to take contact with another.

Wrong album? XD

Offline Ruba

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 02:15:35 AM »
No. I meant to say, that it is really different than material on TOT.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:00:34 AM »
Aaaand the next bunch!

40. The Ytsé Jam
I've seen pretty many versions of the title, but the one with the accent on e-letter is on my copy of WDADU, so I use it. Catchy instrumental, with my favourite KevMo solo. The song has fallen in my rank, but it is still a fun listen. I like the fact they played this on ADTOE tour, because they play too little WDADU songs live nowadays.

39. Panic Attack
BASSSSSSS! METUUUUUHL!  :metal Nice headbanging tune, and the music and the lyrics are in symbiosis, creating a rather distressing athmosphere. The song has one of the best MP's performances, ever. Great solo section also.

38. Forsaken
Such underrated little tune. It might not be proggy, well I don't give a shit. I really like the melodies in this one. Outro is rather unimaginative, but other than that, very good!

37. Voices
A real grower, it took one and a half year to learn to appreciate the song. But well, it's not a song to blast from you car stereos and hang your arm out the window. My favourite section is in the middle of the song, "I'm kneeling on the floor...". JP's solo is outrageous and JLB throws in one of his best studio performances and an endless source of misheard lyrics.

36. Surrounded
Even bigger grower, three months ago it wouldn't have been on my list! The most heartwarming piece from them, Kevinkevinkevin  :heart. Much harder to play than it seems, 9/8 is a bitchy time, but sounds damn fine. A song that would make even a statue of Lenin smile.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 02:07:57 AM »
Awesome song selections! Ytse Jam just missed mine, but it's such a fun tune. I love JP's riff under the solo.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »
Forsaken is underrated indeed and Ytse Jam is nice too :tup Voices and Surrounded are pretty low though. Oh, and this made me smile:
36. Surrounded
A song that would make even a statue of Lenin smile.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:57:24 AM by ? »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 02:51:54 AM »
Aaaand the next bunch!

40. The Ytsé Jam
I've seen pretty many versions of the title, but the one with the accent on e-letter is on my copy of WDADU, so I use it. Catchy instrumental, with my favourite KevMo solo. The song has fallen in my rank, but it is still a fun listen. I like the fact they played this on ADTOE tour, because they play too little WDADU songs live nowadays.

:heart

36. Surrounded
Even bigger grower, three months ago it wouldn't have been on my list! The most heartwarming piece from them, Kevinkevinkevin  :heart. Much harder to play than it seems, 9/8 is a bitchy time, but sounds damn fine. A song that would make even a statue of Lenin smile.
:metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:16:47 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 02:02:06 AM »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 02:12:05 AM »
You say "Kevinkevinkevin :heart" and expect her not to react?  :lol
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 02:15:57 AM »
Yeah, really ;D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »
You say "Kevinkevinkevin :heart " and expect her not to react?  :lol

No shit. :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
I only reacted because I made two gifs out of that solo section :biggrin:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
mWhat I love about:

Is that he turns his body while his hand carries on playing seemingly ignoring any other order coming from the main body. And he looks at it with that "what is this annoying insect" look :D
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »
They were all precious kids :heart

Offline Ruba

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 01:08:34 AM »
You say "Kevinkevinkevin :heart " and expect her not to react?  :lol

No shit. :lol

Okay, I'll admit it was a Milena pastiche  :lol.

Time to continue the list.

35. Home
I'm a man who likes build-ups, and this one truly delivers! From quiet clean guitar the song rises volume and instrumentation little by little, ending up to a heavy oriental-style riffing. Not everyone likes MP's backing vocals, but for me they sound really good here. The chorus is massive and has excellent melodies. Oh yeah, and when I talked about samples with The Ones..., I totally forgot this one :eyebrows:.

34. Peruvian Skies
Pink Floyd + Metallica =  :hefdaddy :metal. One of my early favourites. From the athmospherical depths of the first three minutes, the song turns into a heck of a riff monster. The last riff before the last chorus is one of the best headbanging riffs, ever. Very fun song to play with guitar. And this is one of Derek's bravuras. Love that guy.

33. Vacant
A short song beating many songs superior with their length. Very emotional piece, with a heartbreaking true story in the background. Parent's fear of losing one's child must be a painful situation, hard to imagine when I don't have any, but the song gives a picture of what it's like. Cello suits the song like the long beard suits Rudess. I view this piece as a sort of intro to Stream of Consciousness, because they share a same melody, but Vacant works on it's own too.

32. Under a Glass Moon
Another song I used to love to bits, when I found it, the chorus gave me constantly chill. It was so unexpected and cool, with the drums turning the comp around between phrases and a huge E5 (TIME to disappeaaaar). It has grown out a bit, but has still much to offer, like the weird dissonant part before the first verse and a flaming guitar solo.

31. Caught In a Web
A song I've found myself listening pretty often. One of the heaviest DT songs ever, downright angry and mean, although the chorus is lighter. The guitar focuses more on rhythm than on melody, which are on Kevin's distorted keyboards' territory. JLB's performance is stunning, though the lyrics might get messy on his higher register. I used to find the instrumental section a bit sloppy, but it's pretty tight after all. And the song features cowbell, which alone is a reason to include it on the list.  :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:41 AM »
"I'm a man who likes good buildups" is a sentence that is sure to get you popular with the ladies :D Caught In A Web is a great song but honestly my favorite part of it are the lyrics.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:51 AM »
I just love Under A Glass Moon. Should be way higher!
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 03:41:43 AM »
Great picks! :tup

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »
"I'm a man who likes good buildups" is a sentence that is sure to get you popular with the ladies :D

Hahahaha, my god.

Caught In A Web is a great song but honestly my favorite part of it are the lyrics.

I agree with this. The lyrics are awesome, I expect no less from JLB, of course they produce misheard lyrics though.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »
Awesome picks! I think Vacant was higher on my list and Home was in my top 10.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »
Home should be lower, but that's probably just me. ;)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »
That WOMP WOMP riff in Home is one of all-time favorites.  :metal

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »
WOMP WOMP = daim good
Orgasm samples = song killer

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
WOMP WOMP = daim good
Orgasm samples = song killer

I admit it's kind of stupid.. (who's idea was that anyway?) But the song's great anyway.

Especially because WOMP WOMP.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
I don't think we'll ever get a straight answer on that one. :lol