Author Topic: Official grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. rant thread v. I hate you, Nirvana  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't even capitalise my own name.

i'm just not important enough.  :sadpanda:

Offline HarlequinForest

Here is one I didn't think of before:

Using a comma when you should use a semicolon. 

Mhmm.  That's called a comma splice.

5) Failure to capitalize proper nouns.

For example: "I made $100 in tips webcamming on the internet tonight."

To be fair, nobody capitalizes internet anymore.  I sure as hell don't.

True enough.  :P  I just used the first proper noun that came to my head.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I didn't even know it was supposed to be capitalized. :lol

Offline Ħ

Though technically incorrect, the comma splice can be an effective literary technique.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I will admit that I sometimes use ... instead of a semicolon, which I know is cheating, but oh well.  :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I probably overuse the semicolon; but only because I want to reintroduce it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline robwebster

5) Failure to capitalize proper nouns.

For example: "I made $100 in tips webcamming on the internet tonight."
I'd capitalise none of them - write it exactly like that. But then, my capitalisation is pretty abysmal all round. Words like egyptian, friday, rastafarian - I feel like I've been told they all take capitals, but I'm just plain not bothered. I'll do names, places, and starts of sentences, but that's pretty much it. Never demonyms. Looking back through my most recent posts, I didn't capitalise "Jesus Christ," earlier. It was an exclamation, not a name, so I just didn't bother.

Another thing I do, is I'm a serial abuser of the dash. Constantly, always, twice in this post - three times now, but it strips words out, matches the way I talk. It's my all-purpose punctuation mark. Don't need brackets, colons or semi-colons - just a nice big dash.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I do the dash thing sometimes now, too, like when expressing a relevant thought in the middle of a sentence.  I used to do it with a parenthesis, but I now tend to do the dash thing more often.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I use the dash a lot too.  Thing is, using Word has given me the habit of using two in a row ( -- ) when one would do just fine.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Another thing, when old threads get bumped, I am reminded that I went through a long phase where I was writing album and song titles the correct way - album titles should always be in italics, and song titles should always be in quotes - but I eventually got tired of doing that every time and just went back to typing them normally.  And whoops, there was another one of those dashes. :lol

Offline robwebster

That's a thing! I see that a lot. I like it when I see it, but I don't do it myself - as you say, too time consuming. I am picky about title case, though. I don't like to see conjunctions capitalised. The Time of Angels, Grace for Drowning, Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Journey To The Centre Of The Earth looks terrible, to me. Wildly inconsistent with abbreviations, though. JttCotE, JTTCOTE - depends on my mood.

Also, looking back, at the time I mentioned dashes, I'd used at least one, sometimes more, in each of the last seven posts. It's a disease, a brilliant disease.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
When people say " rest bite " instead of " respite ".

:angry:

Or when people say " You've got another thing coming ".

:facepalm:

How is it even THING when the saying is clearly " If you THINK [whatever] then you've got ANOTHER think coming [ on the way] " ?

Thing makes no sense on ANY level.

Offline theseoafs

I had never even heard "you've got another think coming" until today.  Hate to break it to you, kotowboy, but "you've got another thing coming" is here to stay, and it has been since the 80's.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
They're from Brimingham.

What does Theyse knows aboot speaking propah ?

:biggrin:

Offline Ħ

Uh...you know it is incorrect to use a conjunction with a semicolon? A semicolon separates two independent clauses without requiring a conjunction.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm sorry; I don't rightly give a damn; My dear !

:yarr

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Uh...you know it is incorrect to use a conjunction with a semicolon? A semicolon separates two independent clauses without requiring a conjunction.

Me using it in that sentence was to illustrate my overuse of the semicolon ;D

Not a spelling thing, but what's up with "aks" instead of "ask"? I never understood how one could pronounce it that way after having seen it written once.

Offline Ħ

Me using it in that sentence was to illustrate my overuse of the semicolon ;D
Ahem, "my using it." Gerunds, how do they work?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Dude, I'm not a native English speaker. I can spellz all I want, I have a good excuse!

Offline theseoafs

I think; it     is important 4 every1 2, be able to spellz; anyways they want, ; tho

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Not really a grammar issue, but it really bugs me when people try to extend a word by repeating the end letters, instead of the vowels:

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

We don't even pronounce the 'n', why do you think adding a bunch of extra ones at the end makes any sense?  Even worse:

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! 

What?!  Are you adding a long 'e' sound at the end of the word?

Offline Ħ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
You get that shit on twitter all the fucking time.

" I need 4 more followerssssssssss "

" Such a nice day - I'm going outsideeeeeeeeeeeee "

" Guy in a shitty band favourited my tweet omgggggggg i'm dyinggggggggg "

>:( :tdwn

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I actually have a degree in English, if that's relevant.

And "alot" is not ever, under any circumstance, at any point in time, correct.

I have a degree in English, and I don't see why not. So there :P
Because it's not a word.  Using a non-word as a word (or words, in this case, as "a lot" is two separate words) is gibberish.

I mean, if you want to use gibberish, that's up to you.  But you can't say it isn't gibberish.

Shakespeare and Dickens would disagree with you.
Yes, but they don't live in the 21st century.  Lots of things used to be correct that are no longer correct.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
I actually have a degree in English, if that's relevant.

And "alot" is not ever, under any circumstance, at any point in time, correct.

I have a degree in English, and I don't see why not. So there :P
Because it's not a word.  Using a non-word as a word (or words, in this case, as "a lot" is two separate words) is gibberish.

I mean, if you want to use gibberish, that's up to you.  But you can't say it isn't gibberish.

Shakespeare and Dickens would disagree with you.
Yes, but they don't live in the 21st century.  Lots of things used to be correct that are no longer correct.

I was more pointing out that they made up nonexistant words that are now part of the standard lexicography. Gibberish becomes words through use and context.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Beowulf

Being an English major, i LOVE to piss people off by correcting their emails and posts.  I used to have a manager who had a tagline on his email that stated:
   "Don't do what your suppose to, do what your suppose to and than some."

Seriously.  It hurts my eyes to read it, and hurt my hands to even type it.  I asked him time and time again to correct it.  He never did.  It just made him look inept and uneducated.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Being an English major, i LOVE to piss people off by correcting their emails and posts.  I used to have a manager who had a tagline on his email that stated:
   "Don't do what your suppose to, do what your suppose to and than some."

NISE JOB ANGLESH MAYGER

Why don't we blame the shitty education that a lot of people are getting nowadays because of budget cuts left and right instead of just calling people stupid?

That being said, they're/there/their probably pisses me off the most. I think because it's the one that I seem to make the most (which isn't very often). I tend to use their a lot more than the others for some reason.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.