Author Topic: Official grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. rant thread v. I hate you, Nirvana  (Read 4996 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Not really a grammatical complaint here, but I'm really getting sick of "legit".  It doesn't even mean anything anymore.  (That reminds me, grammar people:  "any more", or "anymore"?  Both?)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I actually have a degree in English, if that's relevant.

And "alot" is not ever, under any circumstance, at any point in time, correct.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

Not really a grammatical complaint here, but I'm really getting sick of "legit".  It doesn't even mean anything anymore.  (That reminds me, grammar people:  "any more", or "anymore"?  Both?)
Any more! But again, it's not something I'm going to write to the queen about.

Who I should probably capitalise, but, hey! Fuck her!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I can't stand it when people spell it "shop" instead of the proper "shoppe". Total buffoonery.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

I have a degree in English, and I don't see why not. So there :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Because it's not a word.  Using a non-word as a word (or words, in this case, as "a lot" is two separate words) is gibberish.

I mean, if you want to use gibberish, that's up to you.  But you can't say it isn't gibberish.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

Correction: Official grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., rant thread v. I hate you, Nirvana

^
                                                                               comma goes here

I forgive you for not italicizing "etc." because you don't have the option to italicize words in a thread topic. But forgetting the comma? Tsk tsk.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
It's a common colloquial usage that's perfectly acceptable in many forms of textual communication. I personally wouldn't drop "alot" in a formal document, but, then again, I probably wouldn't drop "a lot" in many, either.

English is full of goofy colloquialisms and the strange and informal usages that form as a result of them. When people bitch about grammar online, they're often trying to impose their understanding of formal standards onto poor, casual users. Well, I refuse to be oppressed, hef. You are the one on the wrong side of history here  ;D

Offline Ħ

It's always funny when people try to dismiss another person's argument by citing their poor grammar. Especially on Youtube videos.

Person A: "I think such-and-such."
Person B: "Well, I disagree with such-and-such because I think this-and-that."
Person A: "You used 'there' rather than 'their'! You are an ignorant buffoon who does not deserve to live. Thus, your argument is invalid."
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Correction: Official grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., rant thread v. I hate you, Nirvana

^
                                                                               comma goes here

I forgive you for not italicizing "etc." because you don't have the option to italicize words in a thread topic. But forgetting the comma? Tsk tsk.

Incorrect.  You never put a comma after the last word/phrase of a sequence.  Ever. 

New one for today that drives me absolutely NUTS:  Using "jive" in place of "jibe."  They aren't even remotely the same word.  The meanings of those two words don't even live in the same zipcode.  How do you even screw that up?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:05:12 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.

Offline theseoafs

I beat you to it, goon  :lol

Offline jammindude

English is a terrible language for hard 'n fast grammar rules. For that, you need French. Compound words don't bother me. They're already implicitly acceptable in most cases.

I really hate apostrophes on proper nouns that already end with S.

Jesus', Moses', Ravens', etc.

Easily one of my least favorite nuances of the English language.

I'm assuming you're talking about the improper use of this...which I'm not sure I've seen.  (or if I have, I've never noticed)

I was taught in school that this was proper *IF* it is used in the possessive sense.   i.e.  Jesus' robe, Moses' staff...etc. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.

Offline robwebster

It's a common colloquial usage that's perfectly acceptable in many forms of textual communication. I personally wouldn't drop "alot" in a formal document, but, then again, I probably wouldn't drop "a lot" in many, either.

English is full of goofy colloquialisms and the strange and informal usages that form as a result of them. When people bitch about grammar online, they're often trying to impose their understanding of formal standards onto poor, casual users. Well, I refuse to be oppressed, hef. You are the one on the wrong side of history here  ;D
Anywhere else - fine. But this is the grammar thread!! Sin all you want, but on on holy ground!? One of the grammar-nuns just fainted.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I love videogames alot I play so many of them damn if I would of just bought that wii U i could of play all day and no need to work anymore you no pay me nevermind

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member

Offline Ħ

English is a terrible language for hard 'n fast grammar rules. For that, you need French. Compound words don't bother me. They're already implicitly acceptable in most cases.

I really hate apostrophes on proper nouns that already end with S.

Jesus', Moses', Ravens', etc.

Easily one of my least favorite nuances of the English language.

I'm assuming you're talking about the improper use of this...which I'm not sure I've seen.  (or if I have, I've never noticed)

I was taught in school that this was proper *IF* it is used in the possessive sense.   i.e.  Jesus' robe, Moses' staff...etc. 
With names of ancient people like Jesus and Moses, you do not add an extra -s. So Jesus' blood is correct. Although it is usually better to go with the laws of Moses, the blood of Jesus, and so on.

With modern names like Charles, it used to be the case that Charles' dog was preferred. Then we saw a transitional period where both Charles' dog and Charles's dog were accepted. Now Charles's dog is much more common, even though the former is still grammatically acceptable.

Offline Ħ

^
                                                                               comma goes here

Incorrect.  You never put a comma after the last work/phrase of a sequence.  Ever. 
Your horribly mistaken.

Etc. always closes off a series; you would never use it in the middle or beginning of a series. You must add a comma after etc. at the end of a series (unless it is the end of the sentence).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:58:17 PM by Ħ »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

^
                                                                               comma goes here

Incorrect.  You never put a comma after the last work/phrase of a sequence.  Ever. 
Your horribly mistaken.

Etc. always closes off a series; you would never use it in the middle or beginning of a series. You must add a comma after etc. at the end of a series (unless it is the end of the sentence).

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Ħ

Please don't laugh at his mistaken. Its quite serious.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Please don't laugh at his mistaken. Its quite serious.

Whose quite serious, exactly?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ħ

No, not exactly's. The quite serious belongs to bosk's mistaken.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I am staying away from this. I am the worst speller on this board.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Awe c'mon. It ain't that bad. Go have some desert.  :lol

All hail the King anyway.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Rattlehead

Not really a grammatical complaint here, but I'm really getting sick of "legit"

Same here... I always found that to be obnoxious :facepalm:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Haha that reminded me of another howler.

People who put common instead of come on. . .

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Although many grammar fuckups annoy me, I think the more important thing to do, if you honestly consider yourself to be a mature and intelligent person, is to look the other way if it's something that in no way makes it any significant amount more difficult to understand. For example, if some re-re rapes their own texting style with num83r5 4nd le773r5 just to try in futility to be cool but ends up making it way inconvenient to read and comprehend, then I totally understand giving them shit. But for simple, albeit blatantly obvious and easy to avoid, fuckups like "would of", "your/you're", etc., which do nothing to make it harder to understand, I don't see any worthwhile reason to be bothered.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

You back stabbing mother....... :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator

Because it's not a word.  Using a non-word as a word (or words, in this case, as "a lot" is two separate words) is gibberish.

I mean, if you want to use gibberish, that's up to you.  But you can't say it isn't gibberish.

Shakespeare and Dickens would disagree with you.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I see a ton of spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes on this and other forums constantly.

Some of the ones that bug me the most:

1. Inappropriate use of the apostrophe.

Example: It look's like his arms are tied behind his back.  How many time's will that happen?

2. Incorrect use of there, their and they're.

Example: I saw there eyes when their was only a minute left in the game. 

3. Wall of text posts (e.g. lack of paragraph use on long posts)

Example:

For example, if you are designing a brand new website for someone, most times you will have to make sure the prototype looks finished by inserting text or photos or what have you. The purpose of this is so the person viewing the prototype has a chance to actually feel and understand the idea behind what you have created.Now in some circumstances, designers may use squares and rectangles to help you visualize what should and could be in a specific location.We all have our own techniques, but one of the most effective techniques is to actually put some text where text goes and some pictures where pictures go to make sure everyone can see the vision you've created. Coming up with filler text on the fly is not easy, but it is becoming more and more of a requirement. Fortunately, some designers and developers around the web know this and have put together a bunch of text generators to help you present your vision.Some are standard (like the always popular ‘Lorem Ipsum’ generators) and some are really fun. Either way, pick one of your favorites from below and start generating text and completing your vision.

(the above is actually 4 paragraphs, not one)

Offline HarlequinForest

My top grammatical pet peeves:

1) Incorrect usage of "there", "their", and "they're". 

For example: "I've never been to there house.  I want to go their."

2) Incorrect usage of "your" and "you're".

For example: "Your so hot."

3) Incorrect usage of "then" and "than".

For example: "I would rather go to the baseball game then the concert."

4) Comma splices.

For example: "This is an example, it's a pretty good example."

5) Failure to capitalize proper nouns.

For example: "I made $100 in tips webcamming on the internet tonight."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:05:04 AM by HarlequinForest »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Here is one I didn't think of before:

Using a comma when you should use a semicolon. 

Offline theseoafs

5) Failure to capitalize proper nouns.

For example: "I made $100 in tips webcamming on the internet tonight."

To be fair, nobody capitalizes internet anymore.  I sure as hell don't.