Poll

Which song do you prefer?

A Change of Seasons
Octavarium

Author Topic: A Change of Seasons or Octavarium?  (Read 5587 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: A Change of Seasons or Octavarium?
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
Besides the fact that I think Ocatavarium is a more enjoyable listen, it doesn't help that A Change of Seasons is a stand-alone composition, with no album to be a part of. ACOS is still kick-ass, but I never got into it like I did 8vm. In fact, ACOS did nothing for me until years after being into DT. I also used to hate Portnoy's snare sound on ACOS. Octavarium is just beautiful all the way through.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
Besides the fact that I think Ocatavarium is a more enjoyable listen, it doesn't help that A Change of Seasons is a stand-alone composition, with no album to be a part of. ACOS is still kick-ass, but I never got into it like I did 8vm. In fact, ACOS did nothing for me until years after being into DT. I also used to hate Portnoy's snare sound on ACOS. Octavarium is just beautiful all the way through.

I do believe this thread specifically refers to title tracks, and not to the CDs themselves. But I guess your vote wouldn't change regardless.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Cable

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »

I do believe this thread specifically refers to title tracks, and not to the CDs themselves. But I guess your vote wouldn't change regardless.

Exactly. I did not know one's opinion of a song can be influenced by its surrounding songs, but I guess so. :-[
---

Offline robwebster

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2013, 04:15:25 PM »
I think he was voting for the songs on a song-by-song basis, and just mentioned Octavarium's role in the album because Intervals is even better with the seven songs preceding it?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
I voted Octavarium because I like the song Octavarium and also the album Octavarium.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2013, 09:37:01 PM »
I think he was voting for the songs on a song-by-song basis, and just mentioned Octavarium's role in the album because Intervals is even better with the seven songs preceding it?

Sort of. I wasn't rating the tunes based on the rest of the albums they're on, but ACOS is alone on the EP, nothing to contrast it with, if you know what I mean. 8vm has the lead up to the title track, and then the big ka-boom that is Octavarium. But nonetheless, 8vm still wins for me. I have more emotional attachment to it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2013, 03:38:47 AM »
ACOS is clearly in the lead now! :tup

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »
Here is a different angle.

I don't choose if I only listen them musically (including vocals). They are both epic and classic. Lyrics-wise, ACOS takes the cake. It has deep meaning and touching. I really love the story and it's like every note just screams the words. So it's just an "another world" to me.

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
A Change of Seasons.

The only thing that separates the two for me is the beginning of Octavarium. It takes a while to get going, whereas ACOS is underway pretty much from 0:00. Otherwise, Octavarium is right up there, at no. 2 after ACOS.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
Here is a different angle.

I don't choose if I only listen them musically (including vocals). They are both epic and classic. Lyrics-wise, ACOS takes the cake. It has deep meaning and touching. I really love the story and it's like every note just screams the words. So it's just an "another world" to me.

While the lyrics are more meaningful in terms of subject matter, a few of them in ACOS seem a little amateurish. A lot of them are great, it's not as bad as The Best of Times, but still, I find that Octavarium lyrics are much tighter and better put together.

A Change of Seasons.

The only thing that separates the two for me is the beginning of Octavarium. It takes a while to get going, whereas ACOS is underway pretty much from 0:00. Otherwise, Octavarium is right up there, at no. 2 after ACOS.

I usually, hate long, drawn out intros. I find they diminish songs like Trial of Tears, The Great Debate, etc. But for Octavarium, it's just the opposite, I freakin' love that intro.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 08:24:14 AM »
ACOS by far. I don't really like much about Octavarium, but I love ACOS start to finish.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
Glad to see that ACOS is winning.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
ACOS....by a lightyear... :yarr

Offline manticore999

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »
Should have had 'None of the above', or something.  I really don't care for either one.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
Same as CrimsonSunrise!! :tup

And I'm REALLY surprised that there is so little difference between the two songs in this poll... :yeahright
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
ACOS....by a lightyear... :yarr

I wish I could find the post ScurvyDreams made on this topic . . . it beautifully encapsulated why A Change of Seasons is so great and why Octavarium pales in comparison. Not that OV is bad by any means.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
ITT: 90 voters that are WRONG.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
ITT: 90 voters that are WRONG.

???

Octavarium only has 74 votes right now.  You're doing it wrong.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »

YDIW!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
Octavarium feels more cohesive, but A Change of Seasons has a certain character a about it that gives it the edge for me.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »
I usually, hate long, drawn out intros. I find they diminish songs like Trial of Tears, The Great Debate, etc.

The Great Debate is a brilliant intro. It builds up tension, whereas Octavarium and Trial of Tears just seem to be stuck in a lull for a few minutes.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
Trial of Tears is completely amazing and every second of it is fucking great.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
I've always wondered if Octavarium was released as an EP would it be higher in the DT ranking world if it wasn't associated with it's album?  More I heat is bad album, great tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

YDIW!

There is no right or wrong really.  Only a matter of degree.  I would say most of those who voted for ACOS still like 8VM a lot and vise versa.  They are both great songs.  The only difference is which one speaks to you the most.   :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
I have to vote for 8vm
it's my favorite DT song

what's funny is that when the album was released in 2005, I did not like the song at all but after seeing it live at Radio City Music Hall I was instantly sold and the rest is history

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »
Surprisingly, Octavarium was the first DT song I EVER listened to. So yeah, it's stuck to me, my favorite album, first bought, etc.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin