Author Topic: Explosions Near the Finish of Boston Marathon  (Read 16580 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Explosions Near the Finish of Boston Marathon
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
CNN:  Boston Suspect Arrested
p

That's great news. Why would this guy stay in Boston though?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Suspects in high profile cases have been innocent before, we really should wait on assuming he's the culprit.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
CNN:  Boston Suspect Arrested
p

That's great news. Why would this guy stay in Boston though?

Big city, easy to hide in plain sight.   But when you've got 1000 Feds and pretty much the entire BPD looking for you, it's Only a Matter of Time

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »
Well the media has done such a good job stoking the flame that I have no problem believing the general public will pounce on the first suspect.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
Suspects in high profile cases have been innocent before, we really should wait on assuming he's the culprit.

This is very true. For example.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »
And I just got a news update that specifically says despite other reports, Boston Police say NO arrest has been made.

Wag the Dog (on these reports ... not the event)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »
Say what you will about the ubiquity of cellphone cameras, but they might actually become the best deterrent there is. Where there's a lot of people there's a lot of documentation.

In fact I am surprised to not see a call by the FBI for anybody who took a picture or video of the locations to upload their stuff to some website. I would think they could almost create a multi-angle movie with that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
And I just got a news update that specifically says despite other reports, Boston Police say NO arrest has been made.

Wag the Dog (on these reports ... not the event)

Yeah, just saw that too.  Here's the [worthless, apparently] update from CNN

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
In fact I am surprised to not see a call by the FBI for anybody who took a picture or video of the locations to upload their stuff to some website. I would think they could almost create a multi-angle movie with that.
I believe Boston has already made that plea. Also, those fun guys over at [that popular imageboard that we may or may not be allowed to refer to] have produced pictures of a guy with with and without a backpack, which certainly qualifies him as a suspect.

This frankly pisses me off to no end. The backpack in question is the Rick Steves Convertible Carry-on, which I use almost exclusively in my traveling. If this asshat made my preferred luggage our latest irrational security concern, I might just have to reevalutate my position on capital punishment.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
How can you tell he doesn't have the backpack in those last two? In a crowd I'll take a backpack off and carry it.like a normal bag. Maybe it's gone, I don't know, but it would seem normal to me if he were holding it in front of himself to protect it or keep it out of people's way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
As El Barto said, the investigators have asked for any video.

https://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc/51558785/#51558785
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »
How can you tell he doesn't have the backpack in those last two? In a crowd I'll take a backpack off and carry it.like a normal bag. Maybe it's gone, I don't know, but it would seem normal to me if he were holding it in front of himself to protect it or keep it out of people's way.
Very true. The appeal of that particular bag is that you can carry it 4 different ways (and usually do). The dark spot just between the shoulder straps is actually a nice, soft handle. Also, it's so bulky that you have to be mindful of people steeling shit from it. I keep my laptop in that back pouch, so somebody with light fingers could conceivably boost it without my noticing, particularly in a crowd like that. In trains and subways you can lean against a wall. In that sort of crowd, I'd take it off and hold it in front of me.

Awesome bag, by the way. I recommend it to everyone who travels.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »
I want one now.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2013, 09:30:27 PM »
So a family friend was down there with his son as the wife/mother was running in the marathon. They were both right around where the bomb was detonated and the son started asking if they could go to Dunkin' Donuts, since there are none around here and he wanted to try it. So they decided "oh why not", and went.

Ten minutes later, boom. Narrowly avoided. They were very lucky.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2013, 03:13:07 AM »
Anybody kept up on the shenanigans going on? Supposedly there was a shootout in Cambridge in which a police officer and bombing suspect #1 were killed. Now there's another suspect still out there and the whole town of Watertown is in some sort of lockdown, with thousands of cops searching door to door.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2013, 04:23:52 AM »
Anybody kept up on the shenanigans going on? Supposedly there was a shootout in Cambridge in which a police officer and bombing suspect #1 were killed. Now there's another suspect still out there and the whole town of Watertown is in some sort of lockdown, with thousands of cops searching door to door.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2013, 05:58:01 AM »
Not just Watertown; lockdown has spread to Brighton, Waltham, Brookline, and a bunch of other places.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:24 AM »
And this CNN article just makes it sound confusing as all hell...

https://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/boston-area-violence/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

CNN photographer Gabe Ramirez arrived in Watertown as the chase ended.
"Police were in a standoff with the vehicle just down the hill," Ramirez said. They ordered one suspect out and commanded him to strip down completely naked before putting him in a patrol car, which did not leave the scene.
The man was later released and is not a suspect in the case.
But while the man was being held, FBI agents approached the squad car, and police ordered the man back out of the car. FBI agents questioned him -- still fully undressed -- on the sidewalk.
In an early phase of the lock down, a man could be seen lying face down on the street with his hands outstretched in front of him and his legs crossed. It is unclear whether this was the man who was arrested and ordered to undress.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »
Um, Chino lives in Watertown.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2013, 06:25:22 AM »
Shit. Chino, give us a shoutout to let us know how you're doing?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
Chino was on at 7:19 this morning, so hopefully that means he's fine.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »
Work is closed, I'm staying put.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2013, 08:07:16 AM »
Good deal.  Word is there's a gray CRV fleeing through Connecticut right now with a suspect inside.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »
I always knew that guy was suspicious.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2013, 09:04:05 AM »
Looks like the surviving suspect, the younger brother, is one of those sad cases where someone gets roped into doing something really bad by an older relative or friend. The older brother apparently said in 2009 "I don't have a single American friend; I don't understand them" where the younger one hung out with people and stuff.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »
Watertown Connecticut, not Mass. I work 10 minutes from Watertown Connecticut so...
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »
My roommate and I followed the action on Twitter feeds and the police scanner until 3:00 EST last night.  It was a crazy situation then, and it looks like it still is now.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
Yeah, I was somewhat surprised to see that Chino wold live so close to me. Thought I knew all the homies!
I'm about 4 miles away from the nexus of things. A friend of mine is only 4 blocks away, crazy. My ex is not too far off either.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2013, 09:35:02 AM »
Looks like the surviving suspect, the younger brother, is one of those sad cases where someone gets roped into doing something really bad by an older relative or friend. The older brother apparently said in 2009 "I don't have a single American friend; I don't understand them" where the younger one hung out with people and stuff.
If what we're seeing is true, that'd make a lot of sense. That would put them arriving here when they were 16 and 9. The younger one would be much better able to adapt, growing up here. An older person moving here from Chechnya would be the proverbial fish out of water. Add to that, it's pretty easy to see how a 9 year old might revere and rely on his older brother, since it appears that their father didn't come along.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »
They canceled the Red Sox and Bruins game tonight.  They are putting this kid in a box and surrounding him. No way out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
True, but I just hope that he doesn't take anyone else out before being captured/killed.  There have already been too many senseless deaths. :( :( :(

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »
If what we're seeing is true, that'd make a lot of sense. That would put them arriving here when they were 16 and 9. The younger one would be much better able to adapt, growing up here. An older person moving here from Chechnya would be the proverbial fish out of water. Add to that, it's pretty easy to see how a 9 year old might revere and rely on his older brother, since it appears that their father didn't come along.
Then that makes that SOB even more of a degenerate knowing that they've got him on video setting that bomb right next to that 8 year old boy who was murdered. I don't care how young he was when he got here, if his brother was his only influence or whatever. Everyone of us is born with a set of internal 'values' and knows right from wrong. Everything else from there on is a choice....this little punk chose to put that bomb next to that child and in that crowd knowing what was going to happen.
  I'm hoping there's no trial to come of this and waste the money and time....he'll either blow himself up or he should be shot on sight.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
Everyone of us is born with a set of internal 'values' and knows right from wrong.

Really?

I'm not making excuses for the kid, and maybe this is more for P/R, but...

Really?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »
They canceled the Red Sox and Bruins game tonight.  They are putting this kid murdering SOB in a box and surrounding him. No way out.

Fixed that for you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
Everyone of us is born with a set of internal 'values' and knows right from wrong.

Really?

I'm not making excuses for the kid, and maybe this is more for P/R, but...

Really?
Probably is a P/R topic....but yeah. You know right from wrong. Right in this case being killing innocent people.