Author Topic: Amorphis... blow?  (Read 118834 times)

Offline j

Amorphis... blow?
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »
Just kidding, they're awesome.  One of my favorite bands right now, and they continue to grow on me.

-J
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:29:25 AM by Nick »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Amorphis blows
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:13:48 AM »
:lol I saw the thread title and came here to lay the smackdown on you, but looks like I don't need to :D

Amorphis are amazing, their latest two are my favourites and I love the direction they've taken, but Elegy and Am Universum are wonderful as well. Can't wait for the new one!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:15:23 AM »
My roommate's iPod always shuffles to an Amorphis song every third or fourth song and we don't know why. He's only got two albums out of the hundreds on his iPod.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:47:34 AM »
Yeah a big fan of them since the Elegy album.
Looking forward to the new album at the end of the month.
Or I was untill I got the new single, 'Silver Bride', great song, but its mastered way too loud and distorts at med to high volume :(

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:53:27 AM »
Indeed they are awesome. Seeing them live later this year.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 05:33:12 AM »
Amorphis are amazing - the new direction is incredible - their best yet, and looking back to albums like Elegy it seems they have always been awesome.

On Rich and Poor anyone? That riff is rediculously catchy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:39:03 AM »
:lol I saw the thread title and came here to lay the smackdown on you, but looks like I don't need to :D
This completely!  I think Amorphis is fantastic.  I remember that 6:00 turned me on to them. 

My favorites are Elegy and Eclipse, but I like all of their stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 06:44:14 AM »
Never heard any Amorphis. Recommendations?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline faemir

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »

LATEST TWO ALBUMS NOW

edit: That would be Eclipse and Silent Waters

Or I was untill I got the new single, 'Silver Bride', great song, but its mastered way too loud and distorts at med to high volume :(

When you say you got it, is it the actual thing? Because if it's just on youtube or something that could just be the bad quality mp3 they used or something perhaps?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:48:09 AM by faemir »

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 08:43:32 AM »
Eclipse. Their albums before that vary quite a bit in style, so they're harder to recommend straight up without knowing your taste.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 10:04:22 AM »

LATEST TWO ALBUMS NOW

When you say you got it, is it the actual thing? Because if it's just on youtube or something that could just be the bad quality mp3 they used or something perhaps?

I have the actual CD single right here.
I was almost gobsmacked when I realised it was distorting at such a relative low volume.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »
TOX has been getting me into these guys lately.  Probably going to check out Elegy at some point, because I like what I'm hearing so far.

Offline faemir

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »

LATEST TWO ALBUMS NOW

I have the actual CD single right here.
I was almost gobsmacked when I realised it was distorting at such a relative low volume.

This better be a single-only problem otherwise someone's gonna get hurt  :'(

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
I really hope that sound quality isn't an issue with the new album. I will cry if any enjoyment is robbed because of distortion or stupid production-related things like that.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
My knowledge of English is not enough to express with words how amazing they are. One of my favorite bands for sure, their music sounds perfect to me, and the new singer is awesome. I love him.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 07:20:28 PM »
Eclipse is my favorite. It's awesome. Maybe I like it the most because it's the first album I listened from them that reflects their true style (I listened to Am Universum and Tuonela before, both are good but not truly representative) and I am very familiarized with every song. The melodies just stick in your mind after a couple of listens and you smile when you hear them in your head.

Then I got Silent Waters. Amazing album, but not quite as good as Eclipse IMO. Some songs at the middle of the album are a little bland, but as I said it's still very good, and the piano work is remarkable. My favorite song off that album is Her Alone, other people like Silent Waters the most so you can listen to those songs.

I just recently started with Eclipse. Man, what was I missing!! The riffs are so incredibly powerful and catchy, the whole album is very intense, its a wonderful journey.

So I would recommend those.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:37:07 PM by reneranucci »

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 07:34:48 PM »
Wow, I just listened to Elegy (the song). That middle section where they combine the "happy" chord progression in the background with the wicked growls is out of this world. I read a review of Amorphis that summarizes what the band is about, it went something like "they combine the heaviest music with the most melodic music".

Hope the new album will be amazing and that they continue making music of this quality for a long time.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »
This completely!  I think Amorphis is fantastic.  I remember that 6:00 turned me on to them. 

Yes, I remeber the old DT.net where 6:00 had "Amorphis: best band in the world" in his signature. I respected his opinions about music a lot, but I completely avoided growls at that time so I never tried them. Then TOX and Borlag made me discover them.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 04:23:01 AM »
I really hope that sound quality isn't an issue with the new album. I will cry if any enjoyment is robbed because of distortion or stupid production-related things like that.

I hope it dosen't spoil what I hope will be one of the years best releases.
It's nothing to do with the production, it's when the album is mastered, where volume can become an issue.
Mika Jussila has mastered countless albums and he usually does a pretty good job.
But I can't see how the album will be any different to the single, IF all the songs were done together  :angry:

Offline faemir

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »

I hope it dosen't spoil what I hope will be one of the years best releases.
It's nothing to do with the production, it's when the album is mastered, where volume can become an issue.
Mika Jussila has mastered countless albums and he usually does a pretty good job.
But I can't see how the album will be any different to the single, IF all the songs were done together  :angry:

*hopes it's a bad copy of the single, no offence :P*

Offline j

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »

Amorphis are amazing, their latest two are my favourites and I love the direction they've taken, but Elegy and Am Universum are wonderful as well. Can't wait for the new one!

:lol

Yeah Eclipse is probably my favorite, and Silent Waters is up there as well.  Although I like some more than others, pretty much all of their albums are very good overall.  I'm looking forward to the new album, but I haven't listened to the single yet.  Cover art is sweet though.

-J

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »
I am gonna buy the Japanese version anyhow, not just for the bonus tracks (Seperated and Godlike Machine)
but they are know to be better sounding and sometime remastered for Japan only.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »
That album preview vid you showed me sounded pretty good, and that was a video stream so was probably fairly low quality.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 09:57:58 AM »
Just necromancing an old thread to say Eclipse is pretty awesome and I'll have to check out some more Amorphis soon.  Thanks TOX.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »
If you don't have it, get Elegy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »
Listened to the new album a couple of times over the last couple of weeks, but then decided to wait until the real thing, because while I liked the music, the sound seemed quite flat, and I wasn't sure if this was because it was a low quality rip.

Anyway, got the full thing yesterday, on my first listen through in full quality now and fortunately it sounds great! :D Maybe mastered a bit loud, but not offensively so (to my ears anyway), but the general sound is definitely better than the rip I heard.

And most importantly the music is great, pretty much carrying on the direction of the last two albums. A couple of songs a little uninteresting, but I always find that with Amorphis albums. But most of these songs are just fantastic, so much energy and some really great melodies.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:39:34 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »
I should get mine this week.

Offline faemir

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »
Oh wow, I totally forgot about Amorphis's new album. Time to go order it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 12:58:31 PM »
After two weeks of wading and listening through their discography, I'm pleased to say this band has exceeded my expectations tremendously. Funny enough, my favorite song from them is still the first one I heard before I knew anything about them; The Way. They definitely have a diverse and innovative sound, that's for sure. Haven't heard anything from their new album, but if their previous work is any indication, I'm sure I'll be picking it up and enjoying it soon enough. Tuonela still has, for whatever reason, a distinct and original sound to it unlike their other albums, so I'll be doubly pleased if it has any resemblance to it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:54 PM »
I just got my copy of Skyforger.

Because there's less contrast between the heavy and the light, the album sounded monotonous at first. However, now that I know it well, I've realized that it's a worthy successor to Silent Waters, and an outstanding effort in its own right.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:37:33 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »
Amazing album, a step up from both Eclipse and Silent Waters.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 05:27:16 PM »
I just got my copy of Skyforger.

Because there's less contrast between the heavy and the light, the album sounded monotonous at first. However, now that I know it well, I've realized that it's a worthy successor to Silent Waters, and an outstanding effort in its own right.
Pretty much all of this.

I think it might actually be the Amorphis album with the most catchy choruses, which is one of my favourite things about them.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 08:02:15 PM »
I'm on my fourth run-through of it as we speak. If "Highest Star" and "Skyforger" click, my opinion of the thing might rise to catastrophic levels of jizm.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
Next on my list of albums to get. Using this thread a sort of reminder :D

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »
What kind of stuff do they play?