Author Topic: Amorphis... blow?  (Read 120713 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Amorphis... blow?
« Reply #840 on: June 15, 2021, 04:45:08 AM »
I'm not an Amorphis fan, so maybe I'm experiencing Esa's album a little differently as a result, but I like it more than I thought I would.  I don't know what I was really expecting, but I agree with wolfking that it's really nice.  Although I'm not that into the singer's voice on Storm (and he has the unfortunate placement of being between two of my favorite singers).  And as usual I could do without the harsh vocals on the one track, but otherwise I like the rest.  Jonas' tracks took a few times to grow on me but they and Einar's track are incredible.  The spoken word track is pretty cool and Promising Sun and Fading Moon are really nice.

Yeah, it's not mindblowing but it's fresh and pleasant.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #841 on: June 16, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. Esa's playing is always a pleasure to hear. He doesn't have a particularly large bag of tricks, but he has a distinctive sound - indeed, there are a few styles across the album's songs and he provides a nice, unifying thread.

And Storm is a great song!  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: June 16, 2021, 03:47:41 PM »

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. Esa's playing is always a pleasure to hear. He doesn't have a particularly large bag of tricks, but he has a distinctive sound - indeed, there are a few styles across the album's songs and he provides a nice, unifying thread.

And Storm is a great song!  ;D

His not the greatest guitarist, but knows how to write and play a good melody which is just as important.  His playing is always welcome to hear.  I like the shortness of the album too which makes it quick to spin and enjoy.

Had a listen to the Amorphis live album.   It's pretty much as expected, a great live performance.  A few strange picks for the setlist for me, but a nice set and sounds great.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #843 on: November 04, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »
Rock and metal music have always been a haven for those who have bigger stories to tell; who have grander emotions to convey. For more than thirty years, Finnish figureheads AMORPHIS have done their best to carve their very own niche in heartfelt yet aggressive, melancholic yet soothing tunes. On “Halo”, their staggering fourteenth studio effort, the Finns underline their trailblazing status as one of the most original, culturally relevant and rewarding acts ever to emerge from the land of the thousand lakes.
"Halo" will be released on February 11th, 2022 on Atomic Fire Records and contain the following songs:
01. Northwards
02. On The Dark Waters
03. The Moon
04. Windmane
05. A New Land
06. When The Gods Came
07. Seven Roads Come Together
08. War
09. Halo
10. The Wolf
11. My Name Is Night
In the past, mythology and legend took the role of today’s pop culture: Stories and a set of values uniting us by giving us a voice and a tapestry on which we can find each other and identify with something. By weaving the tales of Finnish national epos “Kalevala” into their songs and interpreting them in a timeless way, AMORPHIS combine the role of ancient minstrels and luminaries of the modern world, honouring tradition without getting stuck in the past.
The vibrant, lively, and touching beauty that is “Halo” highlights their musical and storytelling mastership on a once again soaring level: It’s a progressive, melodic, and quintessentially melancholic heavy metal masterwork plucked from the fickle void of inspiration by original guitarists Esa Holopainen and Tomi Koivusaari, bassist Olli-Pekka Laine, drummer Jan Rechberger, longtime keyboardist Santeri Kallio and vocalist Tomi Joutsen, the band’s long-standing lyrical consciousness Pekka Kainulainen and a selected group of world class audio professionals led by renowned Swedish producer Jens Bogren. Considering the band’s prolonged journey in the forefront of innovative metal music, it’s difficult to grasp how AMORPHIS manages to raise the proverbial bar time and time again, presenting a more than worthy finale to the trilogy begun with 2015’s “Under the Red Cloud” followed by 2018’s “Queen of Time”.
“It really is a great feeling that we can still produce very decent music as a band,” says Holopainen, a founding member of the band. “Perhaps a certain kind of self-criticism and long experience culminate in these latest albums.” To the songwriter himself, “Halo” sounds both familiar and different. “It is thoroughly recognizable Amorphis from beginning to end but the general atmosphere is a little bit heavier and more progressive and also organic compared to its predecessor,” he elaborates.
Tomi Joutsen, the man with vocal cords capable of unleashing colossal, bear-like growls as well as singing soothing, mesmerising lullabies, adds, “To me, ‘Halo’ sounds a little more stripped down compared to ‘Queen Of Time’ and ‘Under The Red Cloud.’ However, don’t get me wrong: when a certain song needs to sound big, then it sounds very big.” He’s right, of course: By stripping down some of the arrangements, the monumental moments become even more monumental.
That’s of course also thanks to producing renaissance man Jens Bogren who harvested the thirteen final tracks from a batch of thirty songs AMORPHIS offered him. “Jens is very demanding, but I really like to work with him,” says Holopainen. “He takes care of the whole project from start to finish, and he allows the musician to focus on just playing. I may not be able to thank Jens enough. Everything we’ve done together has been really great, and this co-operation has carried Amorphis significantly forward.”
Indeed. Setting off with the stormy grandeur of opener “Northwards”, AMORPHIS take us on an epic journey through the lands of the north, their rich cultural and historical heritage and musical traditions. This is not only an album for fans or metal connoisseurs. It’s a must for every imaginative mind out there with a soft spot for cinematic soundscapes, triumphant melodies and breathtaking dynamics measuring the borderlands of light and dark.
However, no AMORPHIS album would be complete without the imaginative and poetic storytelling of renowned lyricist and “Kalevala” expert Pekka Kainulainen. “From day one, Pekka has always been an enthusiastic and prolific lyricist for Amorphis,” says Joutsen. “It is a slow process of translating archaic Finnish poetry into English and adapting it our progressive rhythms. Fortunately, Pekka does everything on time and with great care.” Since 2007’s “Silent Waters”, Kainulainen has been navigating the mythological waters of his homeland with great skill and respect. For “Halo”, he outdid himself once again. “‘Halo’ is a loose themed record filled with adventurous tales about the mythical North tens of thousands of years ago,” he explains. “The lyrics tell of an ancient time when man wandered to these abandoned boreal frontiers after the ice age. While describing the revival of a seminal culture in a world of new opportunities, I also try to reach the sempiternal forces of the human mind.”
Thirty-one years after their inception, with uncounted global tours under their belt and fourteen albums deep in their career, AMORPHIS still proves to be the musical fountain of youth, an extraordinary band constantly reinventing itself without abandoning its mystical roots. With “Halo”, they deliver an astonishing album that deserves to be played everywhere, transcending the realms of metal and rock by its sheer profoundness and musicality.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #844 on: November 04, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »
Can't wait \M/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: November 04, 2021, 01:24:55 PM »
Oh hell yes!  :metal

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #846 on: November 04, 2021, 02:25:59 PM »
I'm so ready for this.  :metal :metal :metal
The last two records were excellent, here's hoping the new one is anything like that.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #847 on: November 04, 2021, 05:03:44 PM »
They are probably just about the most consistent band in metal over the past decade and a half.  I burned out on them a little bit from overplay in the late 00s, and The Beginning of Times is to me the weakest of the modern era, but it's still a very good album, and the successive ones have picked back up again.  "Amongst Stars" with Anneke from the last one is one of my favorite songs they've ever done.  I'm really curious to see if Laine brings much to the table again, he was one of the key writers for the mid-90s material.  And while everyone is ranking their albums, I think mine is something like:

Eclipse
Silent Waters
Skyforger
Tuonela
Elegy
Queen of Time
Under the Red Cloud
Am Universum
The Karelian Isthmus
Tales From the Thousand Lakes
Circle
The Beginning of Times
Far From the Sun

That order changes a lot, sometimes fairly significantly for the middle ones, but that's how I feel today.  Even FFtS is still a pretty good and underrated album, they just have such a high bar that something has to be the worst.  Glancing at some older lists, it looks like I'm higher on Karelian Isthmus than most.  It's really quite a singular album, clearly death metal, but a bit doomy, a tad melodic, and with a menacing guitar tone I've never heard anywhere else. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #848 on: November 06, 2021, 04:16:33 PM »
It's going to be mighty tough to top the last two, which IMO were absolute classics.
I replied as much to a Tomi K insta post and he commented 'you'll see' :)

Top 3 Tomi J era Amorphis:
1. Red Cloud
2. Queen
3. Beginning

Top 3 any other era:
1. Elegy
2. Tuonela
3. Universum

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: November 07, 2021, 02:42:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm skeptical that they can top QOT.  That might now be my fav Amorphis album.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #850 on: November 07, 2021, 08:58:42 PM »
Yes so am I, QoT is such a monumental record, but I reckon if anyone can they are capable, Jens Bogren, is apparently a pretty tough task master.
They've already had listening sessions in Helsinki to those lucky bastards  :metal

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #851 on: November 08, 2021, 01:26:09 AM »
QoT was indeed incredible!

I'm very excited to hear this new one too! Not a long wait either.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #852 on: November 08, 2021, 02:07:01 AM »
Ranking time you say?

1. Silent Waters
2. Queen of Time
3. Eclipse
4. Under the Red Cloud
5. Circle
6. Skyforger
7. Am Universum
8. Elegy
9. The Beginning of Times
10. Tuonela
11. Tales From the Thousand Lakes
12. Far From the Sun
13. The Karelian Isthmus

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #853 on: November 08, 2021, 06:36:02 AM »
Ranking it is, then!

I love Amorphis. I discovered them with Tales...right when it came out, and that early to mid-90s period was such a special time. Not surprisingly, my ranking reflects that, although it is most definitely not just a "nostalgia" thing. I keep revisiting my top records - I have done that recently, actually - and they haven't lost an ounce of their magic. At the same time, it's so remarkable how the band keeps putting out fantastic albums.

Anyway, enough rambling...here's my ranking:

1. Tales from the Thousand Lakes
2. Elegy
3. Tuonela
4. Silent Waters
5. Eclipse
6. Skyforger
7. Queen of Time
8. Under the Red Cloud
9. Am Universum
10. Circle
11. The Beginning of Times
12. The Karelian Isthmus
13. Far from the Sun

The top 3 is pretty untouchable for me at the moment. 4 through 8 is very tight - all incredibly high-quality albums. A bit of a drop-off after that, but with PLENTY to enjoy. Karelian Isthmus is not one I go back to often, although I should probably revisit it (I don't dislike that it's more "classic" death metal, it's just that Tales...was such a leap forward). Far from the Sun leaves me a bit cold, except for a few tracks here and there. Not a particularly "inspired" effort.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #854 on: November 08, 2021, 08:35:25 AM »
They are one of the most consistent bands that I can think of.  Everything in the Joutsen era is really solid, and tough for me to rank. I really like Beginning of Times, which tends to be the lowest ranked of his era.  Pretty much everyone will have Far From the Sun at the bottom overall, but it still have a few tracks that are worthy.  I think I'll go with the top 3 from both eras ranking for now.  I would really have to take some time to think about where the albums in the middle would be ranked for an overall ranking.  ;D

Joutsen era top 3
-Silent Waters
-Circle
-Queen of Time

Older era top 3
-Tuonela
-Elegy
-Tales from...

Tuonela definitely takes the cake overall though.  Love that album!

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #855 on: November 09, 2021, 03:38:04 AM »
New interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMNb7iUYa64

One big takeaway from this would be an expected first single release on December 3rd which is a Friday.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #856 on: November 09, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »
Also they had 36 songs for the new album???
13 reordered, 11 on regular version, and I'm guessing 1 exclusive Japan bonus track and maybe one more on the NB deluxe edition.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #857 on: November 10, 2021, 05:08:19 AM »
Track lengths:

1. Northwards (5:30)
2. On the Dark Waters (4:47)
3. The Moon (5:57)
4. Windmane (4:49)
5. A New Land (4:36)
6. When the Gods Came (4:56)
7. Seven Roads Come Together (5:38)
8. War (5:24)
9. Halo (4:40)
10. The Wolf (4:46)
11. My Name Is Night (4:43)

Source: https://www.metal1.info/specials/amorphis-erste-eindruecke-zu-halo-aus-der-listening-session (text is in German)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #858 on: November 30, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »
One big takeaway from this would be an expected first single release on December 3rd which is a Friday.

Sure enough...

Source: Facebook

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #859 on: November 30, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »
Did anyone else check out Esa Holopainen's solo album Silver Lake earlier this year?  It has guest appearances from Tomi Joutsen, Anneke van Giersbergen, Jonas Renkse, Speed Strid, and others.  Probably in my top 20 for the year. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 12:25:14 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #860 on: November 30, 2021, 12:22:44 PM »
Did anyone else check out Esa Holopainen's solo album Silver Lake earlier this year?  It has guest appearances from Tomi Joutsen, Anneke van Giersbergen, Jonas Renkse, and Speed Strid.  Probably in my top 20 for the year.

Listened to it once, and thought it was really good. They play "Storm" constantly in rock radio stations in my country!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #861 on: November 30, 2021, 12:24:12 PM »
The rock stations in the US suck. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #862 on: November 30, 2021, 06:26:20 PM »
Did anyone else check out Esa Holopainen's solo album Silver Lake earlier this year?  It has guest appearances from Tomi Joutsen, Anneke van Giersbergen, Jonas Renkse, Speed Strid, and others.  Probably in my top 20 for the year.

I did and I was kind of disappointed by the final product.
Storm was great and all the pre-release hype from Esa was it's different, not so metal...
Then when I hear it it sounds pretty much how each singer is with their respective bands.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #863 on: December 02, 2021, 06:20:28 AM »
New single THE MOON...

(Mindful it may not play yet for some of you outside Aus etc until Friday date rolls over)...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dda25qP2nKc

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #864 on: December 02, 2021, 11:15:57 AM »
As expected it's magnificent, catchy, proggy and epic.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #865 on: December 02, 2021, 03:11:50 PM »
Indeed, I'm pleasantly surprised by how progressive the song is considering it's the lead single. It's mostly in 7/8 (apart from the chorus) which is a fairly uncommon time signature for Amorphis (several songs have prominent 7/4), and the juxtaposition of growls against a relatively light soundscape in the verses is pretty cool. And typically for this band, several instantly memorable melodies.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 03:25:52 PM by Luoto »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #866 on: December 03, 2021, 07:55:57 AM »
Extremely solid first single! :tup

I think we are in for another awesome album from Amorphis!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #867 on: December 03, 2021, 09:50:30 PM »
Official music video for 'The Moon'
https://youtu.be/EU5A5nqojYo

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: December 04, 2021, 05:37:27 AM »
That new song is amazing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #869 on: December 04, 2021, 09:00:15 AM »
They can pretty much do no wrong at this point.  I love the mini synth solo in particular, and man is that chorus addictive. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: December 04, 2021, 01:23:06 PM »
They can pretty much do no wrong at this point.  I love the mini synth solo in particular, and man is that chorus addictive.

Yeah, that whole interlude was different and fresh, really good stuff.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #871 on: December 07, 2021, 05:55:52 AM »
This band. Wow. Honestly it's crazy how everything they create sounds fresh and quickly becomes the best of the genre. Someone in the band has the best ear for melodies in the business!  :metal

Also seems they improved the mixing a lot with Queen Of Time. This new song sounds great. Circle and Under The Red Cloud are great albums but the mixing isn't that great which is such a pitty! Glad they finally fixed it 😊

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #873 on: January 27, 2022, 03:31:04 PM »
On the Dark Waters... first impression is a bit mixed. The growled verses are backed by a pretty generic heavy riff and kind of uninspired vocal rhythm, while the chorus has a soaring vocal melody and really nice uplifting feel. The C-part consists of a sitar solo over some interesting drumming, and a pretty cool growl section with no heavy guitars. This probably won't be in the stronger half of the album, personally.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #874 on: January 28, 2022, 05:48:43 AM »
On the Dark Waters... first impression is a bit mixed. The growled verses are backed by a pretty generic heavy riff and kind of uninspired vocal rhythm, while the chorus has a soaring vocal melody and really nice uplifting feel. The C-part consists of a sitar solo over some interesting drumming, and a pretty cool growl section with no heavy guitars. This probably won't be in the stronger half of the album, personally.

Hmmmm, I quite liked this new single and in particular was quite chuffed with those verse riffs  :metal