Author Topic: Amorphis... blow?  (Read 120870 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Amorphis... blow?
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2013, 05:27:20 AM »
My CD arrived today from Japan.
New Song is a great bonus track, that is as good as any of the 9 songs on the album proper.

Offline adace

« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »
Just found this awesome clip of Amorphis in Israel with Kobi Farhi of Orphaned Land :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGV1_CFbGtE

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #492 on: April 24, 2013, 02:29:10 AM »
Awesome! :metal The song is fitting for his vocals. Also, this is the first live video of Hopeless Days I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNBbJ7nS8k

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #493 on: April 24, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
Awesome! :metal The song is fitting for his vocals. Also, this is the first live video of Hopeless Days I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNBbJ7nS8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVb1zPIgNM

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: April 24, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
Hmm... that video is hidden, so no wonder why I hadn't seen it before, although I knew the song was premiered at that show.

Also, for some reason Veil of Sin has been stuck in my head in the last couple of days - I can't believe I used to find this song boring, it's really beautiful! :heart

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
Hmm... that video is hidden
What do you mean?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: April 25, 2013, 02:51:37 AM »
It says that only those who have received the link can view the video, which means that you can't search for it on YT. Speaking of Hopeless Days, someone had noticed that the rhythm guitar part at the 4-minute mark sounds like Exile of the Sons of Uisliu and I can hear it too!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #497 on: April 25, 2013, 05:00:33 AM »
Speaking of Hopeless Days, someone had noticed that the rhythm guitar part at the 4-minute mark sounds like Exile of the Sons of Uisliu and I can hear it too!
Finally I know why I always felt like I knew that part already :tup

By the way: Hopeless Days > Exile

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: April 25, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
I prefer Exile, but both songs are great.

BTW, is anyone else annoyed that there are so many different bonus tracks on different editions of Circle? In addition to Dead Man's Dream there are the following ones:

My Future (Nuclear Blast mailorder edition)
Illusions (Nuclear Blast mailorder edition)
New Song (Japanese edition)
His Story (Spotify)

The NB mailorder edition has been sold out already, I don't have Spotify, ordering CD's from Japan is ridiculously expensive and I wouldn't want to pay for 2 copies anyway :-\ Hopefully those songs will end up on Youtube...

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #499 on: April 25, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
Annoyed is putting it mildly  :censored
NB are trying to milk the fans for everything, with so many extra songs, it is ridiculous to say the least.
A more sensible idea to get every fan who buys the CD, would be to include a unique code to d/l these songs.
Which is a fair 'reward' for those who buy and support the artist.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #500 on: April 25, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »
I got 'His Story' from iTunes Australia.
Which I would call an instrumental, although Tomi J does get in 2 lines of vocals towards the end of the song.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #501 on: April 25, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »
Yes, I agree when it comes to the bonus tracks. That sucks.

Something that bothers me a little about Circle (not really that much, but I still think it's kinda annoying), is that A LOT of the songs start with some kind of main theme played softly on piano or flute, and then the guitars kick in and play the same thing as well. That structure gets a bit old after having five songs (Mission, The Wanderer, Narrow Path, Into The Abyss, A New Day) on the record following it.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: April 26, 2013, 03:27:39 AM »
Annoyed is putting it mildly  :censored
NB are trying to milk the fans for everything, with so many extra songs, it is ridiculous to say the least.
A more sensible idea to get every fan who buys the CD, would be to include a unique code to d/l these songs.
Which is a fair 'reward' for those who buy and support the artist.
Or another option (which would also bring more money to NB) could be releasing all those bonus tracks on a separate EP release.
Something that bothers me a little about Circle (not really that much, but I still think it's kinda annoying), is that A LOT of the songs start with some kind of main theme played softly on piano or flute, and then the guitars kick in and play the same thing as well. That structure gets a bit old after having five songs (Mission, The Wanderer, Narrow Path, Into The Abyss, A New Day) on the record following it.
I don't mind that, but I have to give some criticism for the track order - after Shades of Gray there are 4 songs without prominent growls and I think the album would be more balanced if Nightbird's Song was earlier in the tracklist or Dead Man's Dream was in the first half of the record as a proper album track.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #503 on: April 26, 2013, 12:23:07 PM »
I really really like the new album! Best since Silent Waters.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #504 on: April 26, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
I really really like the new album! Best since Silent Waters.
I definitely didn't expect it to be this good, but you might be right.

Still, I think we will have to wait at least a couple of months to see if it can stand the test of time. But I'm optimistic!  :tup

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #505 on: April 27, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »
As the video description says, the sound quality sucks ass, but it's still nice to hear this song played live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjuzoF8XWsU

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: April 27, 2013, 04:49:06 AM »
Nice, Into the Abyss is one of my favorites from Circle! :tup Too bad you can't hear Niclas' backing vocals in the chorus :sad: Hopefully there'll be more videos from that show... BTW, now Circle is the first Amorphis album from which all the songs have been played live since Elegy!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #507 on: April 27, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »
Just a couple of days until I can get my hands on this bad boy. :D
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #508 on: April 28, 2013, 04:30:24 AM »
Enchanted By The Moon is such an incredible song that it makes up for the shitty quality of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqMmgfPl9nM  :metal
And the chorus is just hypnotic.

Just a couple of days until I can get my hands on this bad boy. :D
One of the advantages of living in Europe  :laugh:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: April 30, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »
^They HAVE to play that song when I see them live next time.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #510 on: April 30, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
Really loving the new album. It's much better than TBOT. "Into the Abyss" is simply ridiculous!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: May 03, 2013, 04:46:46 AM »
The bonus tracks (with the exception of His Story) are on YT:

My Future

Illusions

New Song (at 50:38)

I'd take all of these over Mission, My Future is especially epic! :hefdaddy And the vocals at the beginning of Illusions... :omg:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #512 on: May 03, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
This album is awesome. More details coming after another listen.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: May 03, 2013, 09:39:53 AM »
Okay guys been hearing alot about this band but never checked them out

Where does a noob start?

Has there sound remained consistent or has the styles changed ? I ask this because I'm a metal guy first/prog secondly
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: May 03, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »
They started as a death metal band, but their music got gradually more melodic and the growls even got dropped at one point. However, since vocalist Tomi Joutsen's arrival in the mid-00s they've brought the heavier elements back and their sound has remained pretty consistent.

Any album featuring the said singer is a good starting point, but I think Skyforger is the peak of their career, so I recommend it. Eclipse is pretty well-liked among the fans too, and you can't go wrong with the new album, either.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #515 on: May 03, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »
They have distinct eras. They started out as a death metal band, but moved away from that rather quickly. The growls lessened in the music and the focus on melody became more prevalent. During their last five albums, they have reintroduced growls a little, but the focus on melody has stayed. Yeah, they're metal, but not really the "I'll melt your face off" kind, but more melodic, for the most part.

As for introductory stuff, I'm only really familiar with their last era, and I'd say that Silent Waters or the most recent are both representative of the sound of that era and very good.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: May 03, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
^Yeah, Silent Waters and Circle are good picks too.

Anyway, looks like Amorphis continue the tradition of basing the intro tape for the tour on an album track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfLFt_RcWAg As a doom metal fan I also wish they played Enchanted by the Moon closer to the album version tempo :D

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #517 on: May 03, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
I agree that Silent Waters is a good starting point. The song The White Swan in particular is probably the best representation of their current sound.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #518 on: May 03, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
Silent Waters and Circle are both really amazing places to start.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #519 on: May 03, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
Okay guys been hearing alot about this band but never checked them out

Where does a noob start?

Has there sound remained consistent or has the styles changed ? I ask this because I'm a metal guy first/prog secondly
This is what I did, in case it helps you:
- After hearing a lot about them from a forum member called 6 o'clock, I really wanted to see if they were that good. However, I was against any music with growls at that time, so I got their more melodic albums that don't have growls at all: Am Universum and Tuonela. I was deeply impressed by Am Universum, I've never heard saxophone used like that in rock music, and the melodies are incredibly good and original. Almost every song is amazing and has something unique. Tuonela was meh.
- I wanted more, so I got Eclipse . Wow. This is a beast of an album. Even now I can listen to it over and over. It's a 10/10 album. All the great elements I liked from the band are there: the incredible melodies, the great riffs, the e-nah-gy and po-wah. Add to this the most incredible, aggressive growls, the solid lyrics and the fantasy/epic/winter atmosphere and you have a great album. They combine melody and aggressiveness like nobody else, much better than Opeth IMO. 
- Want more? I got Elegy and Silent Waters. Both excellent, but I definitely give the Edge to Elegy. The riffs on Better Unborn, against Widows, On Rich and Poor are incredible, and you have to listen to the growls with soft piano background on the title track. I've never been too impressed with Silent Waters.
- Tales from the Thousand Lakes is also recommended, but it's 100% growls. I prefer their latter work which makes them shine even more.
- I got Skyforger and wasn't 100% convinced by the effort, so I didn't buy their next album. I'm looking forward to listen to the new one, though.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:28 PM »
^Thousand Lakes isn't 100% growls - there are some clean vox in a few songs. Actually I think it was one of the first (melodic) death metal albums to use the combination of both vocal styles, or at least it came out before anyone knew Opeth.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2013, 12:52:35 AM »
I was deeply impressed by Am Universum, I've never heard saxophone used like that in rock music, and the melodies are incredibly good and original. Almost every song is amazing and has something unique. Tuonela was meh.
That's interesting :D
I personally absolutely love Tuonela but Am Universum is the only Amorphis album I would consider to be bad. I cannot stand it. I think it sounds even more uninspired than Far From The Sun.

I definitely give the Edge to Elegy. The riffs on Better Unborn, against Widows, On Rich and Poor are incredible, and you have to listen to the growls with soft piano background on the title track.
Elegy is my personal favourite of theirs and it's and absolute masterpiece, although I wouldn't recommend it to a new listener, mainly because of the kind of "strange" vocals (both growls and cleans) and the pretty bad production which need some time so get used to. At least that was the case for me.

I'm looking forward to listen to the new one, though.
It's definitely worth it.

^Thousand Lakes isn't 100% growls - there are some clean vox in a few songs. Actually I think it was one of the first (melodic) death metal albums to use the combination of both vocal styles, or at least it came out before anyone knew Opeth.
I actually think it came out the same year as Orchid, but I might be wrong.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: May 04, 2013, 03:13:10 AM »
Am Universum is a great album IMO, but it's not a great starting point unless you can't stand growls. It takes a lot of time to grow (especially due to the notable role of the saxophone and the lack of metal), but I think songs like Alone and Shatters Within are superb classics.
I actually think it came out the same year as Orchid, but I might be wrong.
It was one year before Orchid. Either way, TFTTL was a revolutionary album at the time :hefdaddy

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #523 on: May 04, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »
Is anyone else getting huuuuge Derek Sherinian/FII vibes from the intro of Illusion? :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: May 04, 2013, 03:44:56 AM »
Is anyone else getting huuuuge Derek Sherinian/FII vibes from the intro of Illusion? :metal
No, but the ending of New Song gives me a LTL vibe :D