Author Topic: Amorphis... blow?  (Read 120649 times)

Offline adace

Re: Amorphis... blow?
« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »
I'm going to wait till my CD arrives. At least I hope I'll be able to do so :)

Just finished my first listen.

Such an incredible album. I'm seriously impressed. There's really not a dull moment on the whole album.

Epic stuff! :metal

Which songs did impress you the most?
Hopeless Days, Shades of Gray, Nightbird's Song, A New Day
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:25:52 AM by adace »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #456 on: April 13, 2013, 01:18:24 AM »
All songs are on youtube now. This absolutely kills me. I want to wait but :(

Offline philmcson

« Reply #457 on: April 13, 2013, 02:50:25 AM »

Generally, they won't sound any different on release day. If I get the opportunity to listen to the next DT/IM/Gojira/whatever album 7 days before they're officially out, I'd grasp the opportunity. No-brainer.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #458 on: April 13, 2013, 02:55:45 AM »
You're right but I still love to listen to an album for the first time while reading the lyrics and looking at the artwork. But I think I cannot resist the temptation.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #459 on: April 13, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »
^I will definitely wait until the release date for the reasons you mentioned, and I also want to respect the band and the label by not listening to anything before it's released officially.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2013, 03:27:01 AM »

Generally, they won't sound any different on release day. If I get the opportunity to listen to the next DT/IM/Gojira/whatever album 7 days before they're officially out, I'd grasp the opportunity. No-brainer.

To my ears there is a massive difference to anything on YT and mp3 rips of albums.
The real CD always sounds much better, you can hear things in the mix that are compressed and inaudible on the web.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2013, 04:06:49 AM »
Okay finished listening a couple of minutes ago. As far as I can tell after only one listen (and definitely the last before I have the actual CD) it's definitely better than TBOT, maybe even on the level of Eclipse, but doesn't really compare to SW and Skyforger. Still I really enjoyed all of the songs, only A New Day was a bit weak compared to the rest. I liked the music and the chorus is great, but the vocals during the verses were just ..weird :-\

Really looking forward to having the album in my hands and listening to it in better quality :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2013, 03:05:16 AM »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #463 on: April 18, 2013, 05:50:45 AM »
My copy has just been shipped :caffeine:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #464 on: April 18, 2013, 07:14:15 AM »
So it seems like there is a music video for Hopeless Days: www.radiorock.fi/videot?vt=video&vid=323606

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:41 AM »
Nice imagery, although the video is a bit uneventful. Still more interesting than typical "band playing in an industrial hall" videos. Also, it still makes me chuckle a bit to hear "an union" :D

I'll buy my copy of Circle tomorrow! :caffeine:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #466 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »
Also, it still makes me chuckle a bit to hear "an union" :D

Maybe my english just sucks, but what exactly is the problem everybody seems to have with "an union"?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: April 18, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »
It's supposed to be "a union" because the word doesn't begin with a vowel sound.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #468 on: April 18, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
aaaaaaah ok thanx :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #469 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »
Mine is here and it sounds fabs fabs fabs.

Also hate that video. Like, really, it's pointless and I don't like Patrick Ullaeus at all. But whatever I love Amorphis :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline adace

« Reply #470 on: April 18, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
Just had a listen to the bonus track. It's about as fantastic as anything on the album. The opening is old-school death metal, probably the most aggressive thing they've done since Karelian Isthmus.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Why do you all already have yours and I don't :'(

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2013, 03:09:38 AM »
Tbh I am surprised mine came so fast. CDs are usually really really late.
I was also surprised by the minimalist design of the booklet... judging by the cover, I expected some occult looking shizz in there :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2013, 03:31:12 AM »
How does the booklet look like
Tbh I am surprised mine came so fast. CDs are usually really really late.
I was also surprised by the minimalist design of the booklet... judging by the cover, I expected some occult looking shizz in there :biggrin:

What do you mean by "minimalist design"? Just black background with lyrics written on it or what :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: April 19, 2013, 04:28:29 AM »
What do you mean by "minimalist design"? Just black background with lyrics written on it or what :)
Yup.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: April 19, 2013, 05:06:02 AM »
The album rules - 'nuff said :metal However, I'm sad that Dead Man's Dream isn't on the album - the beginning made me say "holy shit" aloud :o That said, Nightbird's Song and Into the Abyss slay and Enchanted by the Moon still sounds as epic as it did on the first listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: April 19, 2013, 05:07:20 AM »
I'm hoping I can pick this up in store this weekend.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: April 19, 2013, 05:26:18 AM »
So the general consensus is that we like this. I can't wait for a few months to pass to see how does it stack up against the rest of the Tomi J-era Amorphis. And yeah, if you can pick it up, do.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: April 19, 2013, 06:33:20 AM »
And yeah, if you can pick it up, do.
This.

I watched the bonus "making of" DVD after listening to the album and the interview with Pekka Kainulainen was especially interesting. Whoever did the listening session report for Inferno was right - it's worth watching more than just once! :)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #479 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
I just noticed that in the booklet it says "a union", not "an union" like in the videos :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: April 19, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »
BTW, I also bought the latest issue of Inferno (a Finnish metal mag) that includes an intie with Esa and Tomi J (they also appear on the cover). The chat itself doesn't include any special info on the album, although it was interesting to read about their views on society, politics and making a living as a musician, but there's also a track-by-track breakdown by Tomi.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #481 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
I'm currently watching the documentary and had to laugh really hard at the part where Esa tried to tune the Telecaster and said "It's vintage shit, doesn't keep the tune"  :rollin :lol :lol

BTW, I also bought the latest issue of Inferno (a Finnish metal mag) that includes an intie with Esa and Tomi J (they also appear on the cover). The chat itself doesn't include any special info on the album, although it was interesting to read about their views on society, politics and making a living as a musician, but there's also a track-by-track breakdown by Tomi.
If it's not too much work, would it be possible for you to translate the track-by-track thing? That would be freaking awesome  :tup

EDIT: www.progrockmag.com/video/amorphis-santeri-kallio-names-his-top-prog-albums/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:53:01 PM by aprilethereal »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: April 20, 2013, 02:24:34 AM »
Animals is my favorite Floyd album as well :tup
If it's not too much work, would it be possible for you to translate the track-by-track thing? That would be freaking awesome  :tup
Sure:

Shades of Gray

"We wanted to open the album with an energetic song that immediately gives you the idea of what's coming up. The song includes all the elements you've been used to hear from Amorphis in the recent years: heavy riffing, growls and clean vocals. A traditional Amorphis song in a good way. Lyrically the landscape of the story gets painted here. The story begins with a sunset and ends with the dawning of a new day. In this song the darkness falls."

Mission

"Snoopy (Jan Rechberger, drums) offers a disco beat which is greatly loved by me. Too bad the tempo is so slow that this is probably hard to dance to. An easily accessible song with catchy guitar leads. The protagonist gets the first contact to the ancient warriors who will help him during the course of his life."

The Wanderer

"I'm sure this song will get its fair share of live play. Wanderer was playing in my head in a quite ready form even before the making of the album. The melody is catchy but not too cheesy. The protagonist of the story leaves futile worries behind and the burden of years disappears. It can metaphorically be related to your property, fears, job or, say, relationship. In Wanderer one decides to give up some even important things."

Narrow Path

"Starts piquantly with a Celtic-sounding melody. A sing-along feel in 3/4, musically quite cheerful. In this one returns to their spiritual home somehow. Everyone can guess by themselves what it means and whether it's a physical or a spiritual place. A Finnish landscape, sea, rocks, paths in the forest."

Hopeless Days

"We couldn't really pick a lead single from this album, so we wished the label would give a suggestion. Americans were interested in Nightbird's Song, in England people had been thinking about Enchanted by the Moon. At least you know the album has some variety and isn't dependent on one song. People may have been surprised by Hopeless Days, it's not the most obvious single. The chorus will surely stay in your head after a few listens. The lyrics include wallowing in self-pity, which is probably familiar for all the Finnish men, unless one has eaten some kind of positivity pill. The title of the original poem by Pekka is Why Me. The growls were edited out of the song at the last minute and a few essential lines from Pekka's poem were left unused: 'The group of ancient warriors / appeared within me / made a camp in my soul / a circle around my heart.' If you think about the title of the album, it gets condensed quite well here."

Nightbird's Song

"The black metal vocals were an idea of Peter's. I'm scared that if you goof off too much, some really corny idea is born and everyone else digs it. Then you're screwed, having to listen to something that disgusts you a lot every day. Luckily that didn't happen here. I thought Peter could've handled the screams, being so great at them. Doing the black metal rattles felt a bit weird at first, but it came out naturally. There's a loose spiritual connection to Kalevala in this song."

Into the Abyss

"Unusual rhythms are difficult for me as a singer. You tend to follow them too much, which makes it hard to form a melody. They were kept pretty simple here, we tried to get a good flow to the verses. Peter is basically responsible for the chorus. I had a more complex idea for it, but in Peter's hands the chorus became more Swedish and catchy. That's good, because we hired a producer to produce and bring in ideas. There's a great solo trade-off between the keyboards and Esa's guitar."

Enchanted by the Moon

"You can hear the influence of the 1990's, this one reminds me of Paradise Lost. Slow and heavy. In the long notes you can hear how the guitars have some balls. The protagonist of Circle meets his spiritual guide. Judging by the lyrics you could imagine these guides to be physical beings. I thought they could be things that have happened during your life, childhood memories or things some important person said. Maybe Pekka feels he has found a connection with his Kalevala ancestors."

A New Day

"The day starts to brighten up. This is where you start to wish the story had a happy ending that didn't conclude with death. A cinematic, beautiful ending."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:13:58 AM by ? »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #483 on: April 20, 2013, 03:11:08 AM »
Thank you!

Hopeless Days

The growls were edited out of the song in the last minute

So there actually were growls in there :'(

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: April 20, 2013, 03:34:31 AM »
On the other hand, it's refreshing to hear an Amorphis song with really heavy riffing but no growls - it's more unpredictable that way (as if it wasn't unpredictable already :lol)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: April 22, 2013, 06:19:57 AM »
For those who didn't know, Tomi K made a guest vocal appearance in a song by Black Sun Aeon in 2009 (his part starts around the 2-minute mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZApBrcjQOwk

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #486 on: April 22, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »
I just want to say that Deadman's Dream is fucking incredible. :metal
why the hell did they leave that one off the album?!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: April 22, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »
Yeah, DMD is awesome; I would've replaced Mission with it, although that's not a bad song, either.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #488 on: April 22, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
I would've replaced Mission with it
:omg:

I still think A New Day is the weakest song, although that doesn't say much since the whole album is pretty fantastic and there is no filler material on there at all (unlike TBOT, which IMO had more filler stuff than actually good songs).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: April 22, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
I would've replaced Mission with it
:omg:
The main melody is too folky for me, although it's a nice tune :P A New Day hasn't completely clicked yet, but I like it more.