Author Topic: Amorphis... blow?  (Read 118810 times)

Offline Unfed Pendulum

• Feed me.
Re: Amorphis... blow?
« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »
Great band.
As a novice fan I'm actually slightly more affected by their older stuff.
However, I loved their re-recorded versions of old songs and I can't understand why some fans dislike them.
Tomi is a great singer and his growl vaporizes brains.
I hope to hear them live some time.
"Where imagination is a relentless ticking machine on a losing streak."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #281 on: August 31, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »
Great band.
As a novice fan I'm actually slightly more affected by their older stuff.
However, I loved their re-recorded versions of old songs and I can't understand why some fans dislike them.
Tomi is a great singer and his growl vaporizes brains.
I hope to hear them live some time.
It's the death metal purists and people that consider the first albums untouchable classics who dislike those re-recordings. However, I think their early stuff rules but I still prefer the remakes. I've seen Amorphis live once and they are an excellent live band (can't say the same about Pasi-era Amorphis, having seen some live videos), despite the predictable setlists! :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:20 AM »
I've seen Amorphis live once and they are an excellent live band (can't say the same about Pasi-era Amorphis, having seen some live videos), despite the predictable setlists! :metal
I just have to take my word back...
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/amorphis/2011/tavastia-helsinki-finland-6bd0d2e2.html

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:33 AM »
That's an amazing set!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2011, 07:26:17 AM »
Yeah, lots of surprises! :tup Relief hasn't been played since '97 and Tuonela songs aren't that usual in their setlists nowadays so it's great to see Greed there. That set is quite heavy - lots of headbanging should be expected at the upcoming gigs! :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: November 17, 2011, 07:37:53 AM »
I know this is quite late, but I saw Amorphis live on the Finnish tour in early October. The setlist was this:

My Enemy
Mermaid
The Smoke
Crack in a Stone
Greed
Song of the Sage
You I Need
Vulgar Necrolatry
Magic & Mayhem
Sky is Mine
Sampo
-----
Silver Bride
My Kantele
House of Sleep

It was a great show, despite the short playing time and lack of very rare songs like Brother Moon and Relief. I find the complete lack of Silent Waters songs weird, though. My Kantele was nice with Esa playing a real electric sitar on the outro! :tup

Looks like some setlist changes have happened on the European tour too: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/amorphis/2011/alcatraz-milan-italy-6bd1f22e.html I understand dropping Song of the Sage, they would need some backing vocalist on the verses to make it sound like album version, but I thought Greed was a kick-ass live song and can't see why it wouldn't be played.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: December 02, 2011, 07:23:31 AM »
The Beginning of Times has been nominated as the best metal album in the Finnish equivalent of Grammys: https://www.emmagaala.fi/fi/ehdokaslista/19
However, I predict COB will win that, they have bigger sales numbers, despite the radio play Amorphis gets.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2012, 01:12:03 AM »
The new concert hall tour set looks pretty neat, too bad I'm unable to go and see any of the shows:
-Acoustic
Enigma
I Of Crimson Blood
Brother Moon
Karelia/Sign From The North Side

-Electric
Sampo
Leaves Scar
Mermaid
My Enemy
Into Hiding
Majestic Beast
Silver Bride
You I Need
Her Alone

-Acoustic
Empty Opening
Rusty Moon

-Electric
Alone
House Of Sleep
My Kantele

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
AMORPHIS To Enter Studio Next Month

Peter Tägtgren is an interesting choice for producer, I'm intrigued to see what they can do with him.

BTW, I saw Amorphis at a festival in my home town this summer and while the setlist was pretty safe, they put on a great show. I'll see them again this December.

And for those who haven't seen, this is a broadcast from an acoustic performance Amorphis did in a radio show last April: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjTVo7UWquY

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #289 on: August 22, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »
I guess I should check out some more of this band's material.  I have "Skyforger" and thought it was decent.  I could do without the growling, though. 

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
I guess I should check out some more of this band's material.  I have "Skyforger" and thought it was decent.  I could do without the growling, though. 

Their worst recent album. Get Silent Waters.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »

Their worst recent album. Get Silent Waters.
He doesn't like growling though, and I'd say SW has even more than Skyforger.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: August 22, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Yeah, if it's got more growling on it, I'm probably going to have to pass. 

What about the other one you guys were talking about?    I can probably deal with 50/50

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »
If you don't like growling, then Amorphis are not the band for you, please move along  ;D

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
If you don't like growling, then Amorphis are not the band for you, please move along  ;D

Disagree, and rebuttle:

Barry, you might like their middle albums, Tuonela and AM Universum.  Those have their previous singer and don't have growling like their first three albums or their last four.  Far From the Sun has the non-growly singer, but you want to get that one last.  Of those two, I'd go AM Universum first.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »
I'll dig up some tracks on YouTube and see what I think.  Thanks, bro.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »

Peter Tägtgren is an interesting choice for producer, I'm intrigued to see what they can do with him.

Love Amorphis, but I thought their last album was quite average. I'm hoping this next one is back on par with their usual great work!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: August 24, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »

Love Amorphis, but I thought their last album was quite average. I'm hoping this next one is back on par with their usual great work!
I hear ya. I loved TBOT to death when it came out but nowadays I think they could've dropped Escape and On a Stranded Shore to make it tighter, now it feels like they put too many songs on the album. They have pretty much perfected the "new" style on these last 4 albums so I hope they can bring in some new flavours.
Amorphis was one of the bands that got me into growls because the melodies underneath them were so excellent and catchy. The other Joutsen-era albums have about the same amount of growling as Skyforger, except for the latest which includes more grunts. If you don't even like growls in melodic songs like From Earth I Rose, then you aren't going to be a growling fan at all. But like DTVT, I'd recommend Tuonela and Am Universum - they're more experimental and spacey and there's only one song with growls (Greed) on Tuonela and none on Am Universum. Far from the Sun doesn't have growls either but I find the songwriting pretty uninspired on that one.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: September 15, 2012, 05:18:40 AM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
Yes the Pasi era stuff does have a few non-growling albums, how could I forget?!
I did get to see them a couple of times with Pasi, and they were pretty ordinary to say the least.
Tomi is so much better, the live DVD is pretty good indication.

Check out this cool live acoustic performance, it adds a new dimension to the band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=YjTVo7UWquY

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: September 27, 2012, 06:25:26 AM »
Studio reports 2 and 3

These little clips sound pretty promising, sounds like they're going for a heavier approach this time! :metal The talk about progressive songs and using different stories from Kalevala also sounded interesting - I think we will hear some kind of change on the new album.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #301 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
Studio reports 2 and 3

These little clips sound pretty promising, sounds like they're going for a heavier approach this time! :metal The talk about progressive songs and using different stories from Kalevala also sounded interesting - I think we will hear some kind of change on the new album.
Only a week or less in the studio and we already heard more music from their studio reports than all of Wintersun's "reports".

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: September 28, 2012, 01:50:11 AM »
Studio reports 2 and 3

Only a week or less in the studio and we already heard more music from their studio reports than all of Wintersun's "reports".
Actually they've been in the studio for weeks already:
"The recording process is going well. We're done with most of the instruments and now Peter Tägtgren and Tomi Joutsen are working their asses off with vocals."
But yeah, that Wintersun album has to be the Chinese Democracy of metal! :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #303 on: September 28, 2012, 02:24:04 AM »
Studio reports 2 and 3

Actually they've been in the studio for weeks already:
"The recording process is going well. We're done with most of the instruments and now Peter Tägtgren and Tomi Joutsen are working their asses off with vocals."
But yeah, that Wintersun album has to be the Chinese Democracy of metal! :lol
Necrophagist would like to have  word with you, lol.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #304 on: September 28, 2012, 03:47:48 AM »
Today I got the BR version of the live DVD, which I already had.
I can't see a great difference, but 2 great live show and lots of great bonus stuff.

Yes the Wintersun album, I'm a massive fan of the debut, I certainly hope it lives up to Nuclear Blast hype, I am sure it will.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: December 07, 2012, 08:08:34 AM »
I'm going to see Amorphis live tonight! :metal I'll post some kind of report tomorrow :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
I'm going to see Amorphis live tonight! :metal I'll post some kind of report tomorrow :)
One of my Finnish friends saw them in Oulu, and said the set kicked ass; the new song is also splendid! Have fun!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #307 on: December 07, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »

I hate you, and my Finnish student who saw them and even has a picture of him with both Tomi's.  Screw both of you.  At least I can fail him  :biggrin: j/k

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: December 08, 2012, 01:10:15 AM »
It was a great gig, as expected! :metal This was my fourth time seeing Amorphis and quite possibly the best, thanks in no small part to the setlist:

1. I of Crimson Blood
2. Born from Fire
3. Better Unborn
4. Crack in a Stone
5. Mermaid
6. Silver Bride
7. Mehtä (working title, new song)
8. The Smoke
Karelia
9. Sign from the North Side
10. From Earth I Rose
11. Silent Waters
12. Her Alone
----------------
Thousand Lakes
13. Into Hiding
14. You I Need
15. House of Sleep
16. Black Winter Day

About half the songs were stuff I hadn't heard live before - it was great to finally hear some of my favorite songs like Crimson Blood, Better Unborn and Into Hiding live. And while I love My Kantele, Sampo and Sky is Mine, it's good that those songs get out of the setlist for a while. Now if only they could drop The Smoke, I'm a bit tired of hearing that song every time and it's not even a hit like HOS and Silver Bride.

From Earth I Rose was excellent, I'm glad they finally corrected the mistake of never playing that song live! Mehtä ("forest" in an Eastern dialect of Finnish) is pretty heavy, probably even more aggressive than My Enemy. The main riff of that song is at least in the first studio report and you can hear a live version from Oulu here. April can't come soon enough! :metal

All in all, I'd say this was the best Amorphis gig I've seen due to the amazing setlist (they could've thrown in something from Tuonela or Am Universum, but oh well) and atmosphere. I was in the second row, the best place I've had in any gig thus far, so compared to Provinssirock last summer, where the setlist was pretty safe and I was far from the stage, this was a whole different experience. On the top of all that, after the gig I bought a shirt and also got a free tourbook!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: December 31, 2012, 02:34:08 AM »
Amorphis received gold discs for The Beginning of Times at the Tampere gig

Congrats to the guys, they truly deserve it! :metal TBOT is now their fifth album to reach gold status in Finland.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
His headbanging always looks epic live and he has the coolest microphone and mic stand I've ever seen! :hefdaddy And although I'm completely straight, I can see why ladies love him so much.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »
His headbanging always looks epic live and he has the coolest microphone and mic stand I've ever seen! :hefdaddy And although I'm completely straight, I can see why ladies love him so much.
He's not my type at all, but he is universally irresistible. He's an angel that was cast out of heaven because the other heavenly creatures were jealous of his FABULOUS growling.

HOW COOL are the lyrics of My Enemy? And the little keyboard flourishes, yes, perfect. This band can do no wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2013, 04:54:47 AM »
I don't mean to nitpick, but could we change the title of the thread, it just annoys me, anyone else agree.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.