Author Topic: Anubis Gate  (Read 3550 times)

Offline BanksD

Anubis Gate
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »
Apologies if there is already a thread for this band but I couldn't seem to find one, so I made one (fans of this band will probably get that joke lol)

But yeah I discovered these guys earlier this year and I've been hooked ever since.

I'd make a list of favorite songs but I honestly love all of the songs on their 3 most recent albums (Andromeda Unchained, The Detatched, and Anubis Gate). Their first 2 albums (Purification and A Perfect Forever) also have some songs i like a lot, but I'm not as big a fan of them as the most recent ones, because I think AU, TD, and the Self Titled have better vocalists (Jacob Hansen on AU and TD and Henrik Fevre on the S/T).

So yeah discuss this awesome band.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Anubis Gate
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:35:26 AM »
Just noticed this.  My favorite from them is "A Perfect Forever" but I think all of their albums are great.

The new had me worried with the departure of their lead vocalist, but their bass player stepped right up to the mic and he really, really delivered the goods  :hefdaddy

Highly recommended melodic heavy progressive rock. 

Offline BanksD

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »
I actually think Henrik is the best vocalist they've had so far (Hansen was amazing as well, but Torben took some getting used to IMO)

My rankings of each album go something like this

1. Andromeda Unchained
2. Anubis Gate
3. The Detatched
4. A Perfect Forever
5. Purification

I tend to treat purification and Perfect Forever like they're from a different band because of how different the vocalists are

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »
Hmm, I've never heard Purification.  I'll have to put it on my list of stuff to check out.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
It's a pretty good album, but has one or two songs I found to be quite dull.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »
So, I'm listening to the self-titled album again. I've had it for around a year, I guess, but it's never done much for me.

Strangely, tonight I decided to listen to it, and it's frakking awesome. Fairly heavy, quite catchy, technically impressive but never descends into "wankery"... this is an awesome album. :metal

Now if only I could get ahold of the Jacob Hansen albums...

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »
So, I'm listening to the self-titled album again. I've had it for around a year, I guess, but it's never done much for me.

Strangely, tonight I decided to listen to it, and it's frakking awesome. Fairly heavy, quite catchy, technically impressive but never descends into "wankery"... this is an awesome album. :metal

Now if only I could get ahold of the Jacob Hansen albums...
Agreed. It's a pretty killer album. The only other one I have is The Detached and that's awesome too. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more soon.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »
I'd love to get The Detached and Andromeda Unchained, but they're blasted impossible to find. I can't even locate the record company the albums are supposedly on. :censored

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
There's several interesting things happening today. First:

Quote from:  Anubis Gate
New album blog:
All files send to Nikos Markogiannakis who is designing the cover.
Next monday we start mixing the album. Behind the buttons will be the great Jacob Hansen (assisted by Kim Olesen)
On another note we had some very great band photos taken by Vibeke Johannson. So everyone can see the old geezers of the new lineup soon

I asked this: 
Quote from:  Shadow Ninja 2.0
   Any chance you guys can reissue Andromeda Unchained and The Detached? I don't really want to pay $200 for a used copy, and that's about my only option at this point.

Also, really looking forward to the album!!

And they answered:

Quote from: Anubis Gate
We are working on it. There MAY be a box set of the first 4 albums plus a cd of rare and unreleased stuff. We are going to do a fundraiser because we need at least 300 to sign up for the box set for it to come through. Subscribe to this page for news

So, good news all around! :metal

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »
Just recently discovered these guys. I only have Purification and thought is was so-so. It was an impulse buy on Amazon when someone listed it new for $2 with free Prime shipping. Maybe that was a typo  :P.

I wasn't planning on trying any of their other albums, but since everyone is speaking highly of their more recent output, I'll give that a try.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
Well, I've only heard bits of the first two albums (A Perfect Forever and Purification), but it is my opinion that both the singers they've had since then (Jacob Hansen on Andromeda Unchained and The Detached and then Henrik on Anubis Gate) are superior to the first guy. Torben, I think his name was. Or not, my memory fails me sometimes.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend their other albums. :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
The self-titled album is really very good.   :hat   I spun it again over the weekend and love it.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »
So far I'm really enjoying the s/t and Andromeda Unchained. I've given them both a few spins and they are solid Prog rockers. I'm surprised they aren't talked about more around here.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »
So far I'm really enjoying the s/t and Andromeda Unchained. I've given them both a few spins and they are solid Prog rockers. I'm surprised they aren't talked about more around here.

Dude, tell me how you got ahold of Andromeda Unchained. I want that album extremely badly.

As to why they're not talked about here, it's probably because most consider them "generic prog". Which I think is unfair, but what are you gonna do?

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I just dl'd on iTunes. I had looked all across the net and the best I could find was $200 for a physical copy so figured that was out of the question. I rarely ever buy digitally, so this was an exception. I guess my terminology of "spin" was misleading  :D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
Oh, okay. You got my hopes up for a second. :P

Though, the box set is supposedly forthcoming, so we'll see what happens with that.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 04:54:59 PM »
For Immediate Release
April 21, 2020

ANUBIS GATE announces New Album “Covered in Colours” and Releases first Video
a remake of the Beatles classic "Strawberry Fields Forever"!

Anubis Gate returns with their 9th studio release in these dark times to light up the world. After recording the dark and introspective album “Covered in Black” the band needed a counterweight album, so they decided to release an album of tracks they were greatly inspired by in their youth, careers and by contemporaries…
They believe it’s a cover album like no other cover album you’ve ever heard!
Just as much care has gone into “Covered in Colours” as any other Anubis Gate album.

Guitarist Kim Olesen had this to say; …being the old serious people that are, we consciously strove to avoid the obvious pitfalls of metal-band does cover versions. 

Instead, the band has treated these amazing songs like they were their own and almost all of them are completely rearranged.
The album is neatly divided into five corners. You can sit in your favorite corner, be comfortable in others, while there may be a corner from which you don’t care for the view. And just like any old grumpy prog listener, you might get the chance to say “They’ve gone too far”.

Some might ask what on earth the band was thinking… why did they do this?
So here’s a little Q & A from their own minds.

Is this an essential Anubis Gate Album? YES!  "Though it didn’t feel like it when we first started the project, it became essential when it became clear that this was not just a couple of songs, but a full-blown album project in its own right”.
But why? “Because we trust the process to deliver the answers. After going through the therapy that Covered in Black was, a wave of productivity came over us. And a couple of songs meant as B-sides for future singles became and E.P. But then the project became a runaway train and it ended up being the longest album we’ve ever done”.
Are you serious? “Of course we are, recording and rearranging those songs was seriously fun, but also funnily serious”!
Did you really need to spend time and energy on this project?  "Yes. It would be safe to say that without this album the next one would not happen”.

*Album Produced by Kim Olesen
 Drum Production- Jacob Hansen
Video Created for Strawberry Fields Forever by David Letelier - Motion Graphics Mercenary at davidletelier.com

TRACKLIST

Starters :
1. Still life in Mobile Homes (by Japan)
2. Red (by King Crimson)
3. Plantage (by Under Byen)

The Jazz-Metal Lounge:
4. Experiment (by Voivod)
5. Chromazone (by Mike Stern)
6. Glamour Profession (by Steely Dan)

The beautiful ones:
7. Entangled (by Genesis)
8. Atlas (by Coldplay)

The eighties corner:
9. To France (by Mike Oldfield)
10. Fade to Grey (by Visage)
11. S.A.T.O. (by Ozzy Osbourne)

No, they didn’t… :
12. Aggressive Perfector (by Slayer)
13. Back in Black (by AC/DC)
14. Strawberry Fields Forever (by The Beatles)

ANUBIS GATE is:
Henrik Fevre
Kim Olesen
Michael Bodin
Morten Gade Sørensen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BveIpw9ZYU&feature=emb_logo

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2023, 08:08:12 PM »
"Denmark's progressive power metal commandants Anubis Gate return with a new opus, Interference, and its release date is June 2. It’ll be released on No Dust Records.

Interference tracklist:
01. Emergence
02. Ignorance Is Bliss
03. Number Stations
04. The Phoenix
05. Equations
06. Dissonance Consonance
07. The Intergalactic Dream Of Stardom
08. World Of Clay
09. Interference
10. Absence"

Definitely stoked for this.  They're one of my favorite bands that I've discovered in the last few years, and it'll be the first time anticipating a new album of theirs for me.  I've known about them for a long time, but for some reason my circle of friends at the time didn't care for them and I stupidly never bothered to check them out until relatively recently. 

Offline WardySI

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2023, 06:45:31 PM »
No pre-release single yet?

Keen to hear this one thanks for the heads up!

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2023, 02:58:53 PM »
The single came out a few days ago.  Pretty solid tune. 

Is Henrik the least metal-looking frontman in metal now?  He's such a fantastic vocalist I don't even care, it's just amusing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7YE0XD43ZU&pp=ygULYW51YmlzIGdhdGU%3D

Offline sam1oq

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2023, 05:02:07 AM »
What are everyone's thoughts on Interference? I was really surprised by how experimental it was. Definitely didn't expect Anubis Gate to come out with the Floyd influences, but here we are.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2023, 06:22:41 AM »
They've had those for quite awhile.  Listen to the middle section of "From Afar" on Covered In Black, or example.  I like the album, but it's going to take awhile for everything to really grow on me, they aren't always as immediate as some bands.