Author Topic: Zero Hour Thread  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Zero Hour Thread
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:56:03 PM »
Is there already a thread for this group? I used the search function and couldn't find one, though it doesn't always work correctly.

Anyway, this is a really great band. I only have The Towers Of Avarice and Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond, and Towers.. is by far my favorite.

Any other fans here? I know there's at least one, because Lucien sent one of their songs in a roulette. :D

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Zero Hour Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:58:39 PM »
The Towers of Avarice is a great CD.  I remember picking it up back when it first came out.  A friend of mine was selling it in his store and told me I'd probably like it, so he played a couple of tracks off it and I was sold.  Unfortunately I never checked out anything else by them.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »
Tower of Avarice = :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »
The Towers of Avarice is a great CD.  I remember picking it up back when it first came out.  A friend of mine was selling it in his store and told me I'd probably like it, so he played a couple of tracks off it and I was sold.  Unfortunately I never checked out anything else by them.

Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond is also very good, although it has a different singer, who in my opinion isn't as incredible as Rosvold.

Tower of Avarice = :metal :metal

:metal

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Wow shadowninja. I go through youtube looking for obscure bands for the roulette and you up and make a thread about it  :lol

The song I sent (which I regret sending: The Falcon's Cry) was great when I first heard it, but I basically agree with what Buddyhunter said about it. Hope I can fix my points with the atmospheric round.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
It's funny, cuz compared to some of the stuff I listen to, Zero Hour doesn't seem that obscure. :lol  Perhaps it's just because I've known about them for a while.

Anyway, I'd recommend you check out The Towers Of Avarice, as it's their finest work, in my opinion. It does have to grow on you, though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 10:28:03 PM »

Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond is also very good, although it has a different singer, who in my opinion isn't as incredible as Rosvold.

Maybe I'll give that one a listen.  These guys aren't still together I think.  Did they wind up in other bands?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
The guitarist and bassist, Jasun and Troy Tipton, have started another band called Cynthesis with former Zero Hour singer Erik Rosvold. They've released two albums so far, DeEvolution and ReEvolution, which sound good from what I've heard, but I don't own either as of right now.

If I am recalling correctly, Zero Hour hasn't officially broken up, they're just on hiatus. I'm not sure the chance of them reuniting is very great at this point, though.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
Wow shadowninja. I go through youtube looking for obscure bands for the roulette and you up and make a thread about it  :lol

The song I sent (which I regret sending: The Falcon's Cry) was great when I first heard it, but I basically agree with what Buddyhunter said about it. Hope I can fix my points with the atmospheric round.

Protip: You'll do better in a roulette if you actually like what you're sending. :3
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:38:21 PM »
 :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
I have two of their cd's.  They were pretty damn cool but didn't really grab me at the time.  I should get them out again and listen.  I think I have TOA and one with a brown cover, maybe Dark Deceiver it could be called.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »

Protip: You'll do better in a roulette if you actually like what you're sending. :3

But people have different tastes than I do, so I can't just send what I like

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
Them Tipton boys also have an instrumental band happening these days: Abnormal Thought Patterns.
Also, as far as I know, they still consider Zero Hour an ongoing entity.
Also, yes, The Towers of Avarice is a fucking masterpiece  :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
We had a bit of a Zero Hour discussion in this dinosaur of a thread a year and a half ago: Warning: Ancient thread

I also have both Cynthesis albums, as a new one came out in the last year.  If you like Zero Hour, you should like Cynthesis, but get Evolution first, it is the better of the two Cynthesis albums.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »
We had a bit of a Zero Hour discussion in this dinosaur of a thread a year and a half ago: Warning: Ancient thread

I also have both Cynthesis albums, as a new one came out in the last year.  If you like Zero Hour, you should like Cynthesis, but get Evolution first, it is the better of the two Cynthesis albums.

"Songs to try out: The Falcon's Cry"

:lol Well at least I know using it in other people's roulettes wouldn't have the same result.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »
super old bump.

:tup :metal

They have reunited with original lead singer Erik Rosvold and a new album in the style of their 1st 2 albums is coming.

https://www.facebook.com/Zero-Hour-The-Towers-of-Avarice-415925805892487/

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 06:42:30 PM »
Cool. Haven’t heard from this band in ages. I really liked their previous vocalist, Chris Salinas. Wonder wonder happened to him. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »
Cool. Haven’t heard from this band in ages. I really liked their previous vocalist, Chris Salinas. Wonder wonder happened to him.

I may have to revisit Zero Hour with new ears. I remember checking them out 10+ years ago. I felt they were a little too grating. Dropping the needle just now, they deserve another chance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 10:39:03 PM »
Yeah this band is a bit of an acquired taste. They’re heavy enough, but a lot of their riffing comes across like super technical musicians practicing scales and intervals. But as Soundscape mentions, if they go back to the style of the earlier albums, that would probably be a good thing.

Check into Towers of Avarice.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »
bump.

Jason's A Dying Planet project have a new album coming soon "When the Skies are Grey"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz8gtN2jObY

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »
Jasun has dropped a beautiful instrumental album

https://jasuntipton.bandcamp.com/

Check it out. He sells physical copies and LaserCd has some in stock as well. I absolutely loved Seduction so I was very glad to hear his new material.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 04:53:21 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2022, 12:38:35 PM »
bump.

https://www.frontiers.shop/detail/index/sArticle/1371

1st new album in 14 years, "Agenda 21" coming May 13th.

GENRE: Progressive Metal

Frontiers Music Srl is pleased to announce the release of "Agenda 21", the new studio album from the recently reformed progressive metal band Zero Hour, on May 13, 2022. Original members Jasun Tipton (guitars) and Erik Rosvold (vocals) have recruited bassist Andreas Blomqvist (Seventh Wonder) and drummer Roel van Helden to join them on this new chapter for Zero Hour.
Originally formed in the San Francisco Bay Area in '90s by Jasun and his brother Troy, Zero Hour released six studio albums from 1998 to 2008. Their self-titled debut (1998), "The Towers of Avarice" (2001), "Metamorphosis" (2003), "A Fragile Mind" (2005), "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond" (2006), and "Dark Deceiver" (2008). The genesis of Zero Hour was to create heavy, melodic, dark, intricate music with influences from diverse influences like the DIO-led years of Rainbow, The Pat Metheny Group, and Dream Theater.
Zero Hour dissolved after the release of their 2008 album "Dark Deceiver" when Troy Tipton suffered an arm injury that prevented him from playing bass. After Jasun and Erik got back together to start the band back up, they recruited drummer Roel van Helden. Jasun and Roel had become friends after Roel’s group at the time, Sun Caged and Zero Hour played a gig as direct support for Liquid Tension Experiment. They stayed in contact and years later, Jasun caught up with Roel overseas and they chatted about making music together. Roel was then instrumental in bringing Andreas into the fold as one of Roel’s former bands had toured with Andreas' band Seventh Wonder.
Jasun structured the music for "Agenda 21", tracking the guitars and keys. Roel then arranged the drums and entered Kohlekeller Studios to record the drums with Kai Stahlenberg. Andreas followed by arranging and recording his bass at Cross Back Studios. Erik Rosvold wrote the lyrics for the songs on "Agenda 21" with the vocal melodies arranged by Erik and Jason together as the vocals were recorded.
Progressive metal fans will find much to celebrate on Zero Hour's fantastic return album, "Agenda 21"!

Tracklisting:
1.    Democide                       
2.    Technocracy                     
3.    Stigmata                         
4.    Memento Mori           
5.    Agenda 21                 
6.    Patient Zero

Line-Up:
Erik Rosvold - Vocals
Jasun Tipton - Guitars and Keyboards
Andreas Blomqvist- Bass
Roel van Helden - Drums

Social Media:
https://facebook.com/zerohourtowers
https://instagram.com/zerohourtowers

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2022, 12:51:02 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2022, 12:55:53 PM »
If there's one band that could use some Frontiers influence, it'd be Zero Hour. :lol

I dig the track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2022, 01:55:40 PM »
yeah..very tasty.

big Towers of Avarice element there.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2022, 04:09:52 AM »
Listened to the new album today, many years since I last heard the classic ZH sound.
Here it is, no one else sounds like them and Erik's voice is as strong as ever.
I hold little or no interest in prog metal these days, but there still are a couple of bands that can still get it done and ZH are one of them.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2022, 11:58:28 PM »
Listened to this album today.  And then a little later in the day.  And then one more time in the evening.  It sounds great and it's so good to hear Erik back with them.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2022, 01:24:37 AM »
With the first half of the year almost done, this is my album of the year so far.
I had zero expectations for this, first listen I liked it, but after almost 10 plays I am hooked.
So many layers, melodies, riffs and the killer vocals, make this so good.
Plus and a massive bonus is how good this sounds, the production and the mix are top notch.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2023, 01:48:08 PM »
Towers of Avarice Vinyl Preorder
https://www.lasercd.com/vinyl/towers-avarice-vinyl-preorder

1/12/24 Street Date