Author Topic: Kaïpa  (Read 4287 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Kaïpa
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »
How fans do we have here? 

I am just now finally checking out their earliest stuff from the mid to late 70s.  The lyrics are Swedish, so that is a bit different, but what I am hearing is good so far.  Of the newer stuff, Keyholder, which is phenomenal from start to finish, is the clear standout.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Kaïpa
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »
Yeah, I love "Keyholder"  definitely their best modern album.  5 stars  :hat

"Mindrevolutions" was...OK  3 Stars

"Angling Feelings" is pretty good  3.5 Stars

"In The Wake of Evolution" is very good  4 Stars

I haven't really listened enough to Vittjar to rate it yet.

Haven't heard much of their 70's stuff at all. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »
I still need to hear those newest albums.  I remember reviews for Mindrevolutions and Angling Feelings not being overly great, so I didn't bother with either, but I have read very good things about both In the Wake of Evolution and Vittjar, so I need to get to those.  And I will freely admit that Roine Stolt leaving the band made me less likely to check out the albums without him.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »
I still have a ways to go with Kaipa. I've sampled a couple of their 70s albums, sounded good, but light. I know Keyholder which is outstanding. I also heard the first couple of tracks on their newest album when it came out, but never got it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
I still need to hear those newest albums.  I remember reviews for Mindrevolutions and Angling Feelings not being overly great, so I didn't bother with either, but I have read very good things about both In the Wake of Evolution and Vittjar, so I need to get to those.  And I will freely admit that Roine Stolt leaving the band made me less likely to check out the albums without him.

To me, "In The Wake of Evolution" is a pretty close competitor to "Keyholder" - pretty close, but nothing will ever top "Keyholder" which is an amazing slab of prog.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »
I'll echo the sentiments regarding Keyholder. The last two are also really good, at least better than AF and MR, and ITWOE is REALLY good, IMO, about as good as KH.

Like Kev, my interest in Kaipa waned after Roine left, but the last two albums have been pretty good so I have stuck it out with them. Also, Jonas Reingold has been playing bass, so that makes up for it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
Notes from the Past has a higher rating than Keyholder at several prominent online sites. :eek :eek  You have got to be freaking kidding me.  I mean, Notes... has a few standout tracks, but also has a bunch of average songs, too.  Meanwhile, Keyholder is one rock solid song after another, and clearly superior, IMO, yet the consensus thinks Notes from the Past is better?  Not that those ratings mean a damn thing, but still.  Wow is all I can say.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
For those unfamiliar with the band's earliest work, check out this killer tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB1izgi3e2Y

Roine's guitar work is smoking, even at a young age, and the Swedish vocals do not bother me at all (since the song is mostly instrumental).  Also, the picture of the band...look how young Roine Stolt looks!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »
I only got the english speaking albums but I love them all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
too hippie for my taste :/

Offline darkshade

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Notes from the Past has a higher rating than Keyholder at several prominent online sites. :eek :eek  You have got to be freaking kidding me.  I mean, Notes... has a few standout tracks, but also has a bunch of average songs, too.  Meanwhile, Keyholder is one rock solid song after another, and clearly superior, IMO, yet the consensus thinks Notes from the Past is better?  Not that those ratings mean a damn thing, but still.  Wow is all I can say.

Some of those ratings (like at ProgArchives) may reflect a time when the band had first reunited, so maybe the follow up Keyholder hadn't been released yet, or it was new, thus having Kaipa return with Notes boosted the ratings. I haven't heard the album myself so I'm just speculating.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »
Only heard their first few reunion albums. Nice stuff, but I guess it didn't get me to explore further. I honestly can't remember which was my favourite.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »
I listened to Inget Nytt Under Solen once and it was very good. I still need to check out more of their stuff.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
Nothing from the '70s.

I only have these four:

Notes From The Past
Keyholder
Mindrevolutions
Angling Feelings

While I do enjoy them (Probably like those first two up there best), it's probably been about a year since I've listened to any of them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 03:08:31 AM »
Been getting into these guys in a pretty big way.

I can understand why people love Keyholder, and I do think it's a great album, but for me their standout really is In The Wake Of Evolution. It's just such a fantastic album, I can't stop listening to it!

Looking forward to the new one later this year.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
Same here, haven't checked out their back discography, but I enjoyed Vittjar thoroughly. Plus, Aleena Gibson is such a cutie :hearts:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
Very much enjoy Vittjar and Wake of Evolution.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
Yeah I'm getting into Vittjar a lot more as well, only heard it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't sure at first but I'm digging it a lot now.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
Thread Necromancy!

Surprise - Kaipa will be releasing a new album this September, with 5 tracks.

1. Children of the Sounds (11:31)
2. On the Edge of New Horizons (17:10)
3. Like a Serpentine (12:52)
4. The Shadowy Sunlight (6:57)
5. What's Behind the Fields (9:31)

https://teamrock.com/news/2017-07-10/kaipa-announce-new-album-children-of-the-sounds

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 08:46:13 AM »
So we now have two versions of Kaipa doing the rounds, with Kaipa da Capo (original line-up reformed, I believe) releasing their "debut" last year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 06:24:28 PM »
So we now have two versions of Kaipa doing the rounds, with Kaipa da Capo (original line-up reformed, I believe) releasing their "debut" last year.

Rumor has it Kaipa da Capo is being forced to change their name to Operation: Kaipacrime.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 03:48:54 AM »
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Excellent music. The guitarist who took over from Roine (Per Nilsson) is brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZ27N9L3GQ

My only gripe is that the newer CDs don't have a proper sonic balance. Way too much treble. I have a kind of stereo which brutally reveals any bad mixing - I once heard a story that too much treble in the recording was a result of shot ears of the mixing engineers. Don't know if that is true here. That's also why I'll never buy a CD with Prince. The treble on his recordings is like ice picks in you ears  :eek

One can clearly hear the difference when Roine was in the band - I'm very sure he had an influence on the mixing process - these CDs were mixed very much like all those with Flower Kings - perfect. I still have to get Vittjar and the new CD which is expected very soon, hope they improved the mixing on these.

BTW, anyone here who bought Sattyg? I got it from Amazon, without a booklet. There's an empty booklet holder in it, I wonder if there should be one?

Silent Man

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 04:59:57 AM »
Love the newer Kaipa....

Only got into them recently and have Vittjar and Sattyg as my favorites. Also got a box of 'Discovering Kaipa' which included Keyholder and Notes from the past amongst others. But prefer the later ones..... can't wait for Children of Sounds.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 05:06:57 AM »
Love the newer Kaipa....

Only got into them recently and have Vittjar and Sattyg as my favorites. Also got a box of 'Discovering Kaipa' which included Keyholder and Notes from the past amongst others. But prefer the later ones..... can't wait for Children of Sounds.

...and please tell me...is there a booklet included in the Sattyg CD? Mine was delivered from Amazon without. It's a budget case obviously, but there's clearly a holder for a booklet.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 05:17:06 AM »
Love the newer Kaipa....

...and please tell me...is there a booklet included in the Sattyg CD? Mine was delivered from Amazon without. It's a budget case obviously, but there's clearly a holder for a booklet.

I think so.... can check when I get home from work.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Both Sattyg and Vittjar are Digipacks with booklets.

Angling feelings is a jewelcase with booklet.

Discovering Kaipa is a box with 3 cds in hard paper covers and one booklet. The CDs are Notes From The Past, Keyholder and In The Wake Of Evolution.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »

Discovering Kaipa is a box with 3 cds in hard paper covers and one booklet. The CDs are Notes From The Past, Keyholder and In The Wake Of Evolution.
Thanks. I already have all the CDs you mention 😉

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 09:44:36 PM »

But no booklet in the Sattyg digipack?

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 11:15:24 PM »

But no booklet in the Sattyg digipack?

No booklet. I'll have to get back to Amazon about it. Maybe it's nit-picking, but I hate things like that.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 12:04:20 AM »
No booklet. I'll have to get back to Amazon about it. Maybe it's nit-picking, but I hate things like that.

I would be royally pissed... go get them!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 03:45:27 AM »
Love the newer Kaipa....

Similarly I prefer their more recent material. Looking forward to the new one!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 03:50:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2FhP3m9eDU

Lyric video for the new Kaipa song "What's Behind the Fields".
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2022, 06:55:30 AM »
Legendary Swedish progressive folk-fusion-rock band KAIPA return on the 29th April 2022 with their 14th studio album “Urskog” and a new drummer.

Get the limited CD Digipak, Gatefold 180g 2LP + CD & as Digital Album here: https://kaipa.lnk.to/Urskog

Urskog takes the listener on a breathtaking journey through the Swedish wilderness and the changing seasons. Hans Lundin's six new compositions draw influences from the landscapes he witnesses during his solitary countryside biking treks as well as from a less known part of his own vast song catalogue.

Hans comments: Most of the songs were written in 2018. At the time I was working on the 6-CD box “Hans Lundin: The Solo Years 1982-1989”, and revisiting my old solo albums informed my songwriting process for “Urskog”. Listening to these old compositions influenced my new compositions in a general way; there were also few instances where I took a nice chord structure or a melodic fragment of an old song and turned it into something entirely new. I also sampled some sounds from the 80's that can be heard on the new album.

While the rest of the band's lineup remains intact, Urskog introduces new drummer Darby Todd from London, UK. Guitarist Per Nilsson explains: When the time came around to start tracking drums, Morgan wasn't available within any reasonable timeframe so on Morgan's own suggestion, we decided to amicably part ways. Morgan's fantastic and imaginative drumming has adorned the music of Kaipa for almost two decades and eight albums, but for what it's worth, we felt that this could be an opportunity to bring some new grooves and new sounds into Kaipa. While Hans had a few ideas for the drummer position I only had one person in mind, someone whose creativity and chops rival those of Morgan's but with more of a hard-hitting rock edge, and upon seeing a few videos of this guy bashing the skins Hans was convinced too. So, it brings us great joy to present to you mr Darby Todd as the new drummer for Kaipa! Darby has a resumé fitting a musician of his caliber, having played with Devin Townsend, The Darkness, Gary Moore, Martin Barre and many more, and while the guy is capable of expertly playing everything from death metal to soft jazz, he's got a strong own voice on his instrument and it's been exciting hearing him take these six new Kaipa tunes to the skies... and beyond!

Funny enough I was just enjoying some Kaipa a couple weeks ago! What a pleasant surprise! Here is the tracklist:

01 The Frozen Dead of the Night [18:52]
02 In a World of Pines [10:04]
03 Urskog [7:57]
04 Wilderness Excursion [8:57]
05 In the Wastelands of My Mind [6:13]
06 The Bitter Setting Sun [15:20]

-Marc.

Online HOF

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2022, 08:12:01 AM »
Haven’t ever gotten into the modern iteration of this band, but those 70s albums with Roine were pretty cool. Solo in particular was great.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2022, 10:27:49 AM »