Author Topic: Anybody here surfers?  (Read 759 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Anybody here surfers?
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:46 PM »
I'm in Hawaii right now and figured I'd take a surfing class. It was kinda fun, but I have to say it's not anywhere as fun as I thought it would be. A lot of sitting around on the water, and shitloads of paddling just to get back out to the sea again. I hoped it would sort of like snowboarding, but snowboarding is 10 times the amount of fun, at least so far.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: Anybody here surfers?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
Its fun when you get good at it :tup

Much more rewarding aswell. Although I do think snowboarding would be funner (I've never done it myself, only skiied).

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
I only audiosurf LOL no in fact I don't audiosurf.

Also, I don't surf.

I don't snowboard either...

I do SKI though! :yarr

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:56:48 PM »
Its fun when you get good at it :tup

That's what I'm kinda hoping! I got a few more days here in HI, so I will try again. I think part of the problem is also that the waves were so small that it's really difficult to catch them.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
I've lived in southern California for 8 years now, and spent 3 years of that literally 5 minutes walking distance from the beach, and have yet to even attempt surfing.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
Silly Rumbo. I hear it's a lot harder to surf when you're holding a laptop.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »
MEGA BUMP

I've lived in southern California for 8 years now, and spent 3 years of that literally 5 minutes walking distance from the beach, and have yet to even attempt surfing.

I've lived my entire life in NorCal and haven't gone surfing.  The closest I've gone is boogie boarding on small (2-3 ft) waves when I was 12. 

My roommate has surfed before, and we're going to get a couple used boards, wetsuit, and make the (extremely long and arduous) 40 minute drive to Santa Cruz this summer.  I have no doubt I'll be able to ride waves like this in no time:

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
As a professional beach bum, I can say surfing can be a lot more fun and rewarding than snowboarding. Snowboarding is sort of an instant gratification as you don't have to put a lot of effort into getting your thrill. Surfing is the complete opposite. The thrill and even relaxation of hanging out in the water, trying to read the incoming waves and judging which one is THE one to ride in, setting yourself up and then ultimately riding in that wave. The combination of all that makes for a pretty fantastic experience. Especially if you get a great wave and ride it nicely. It's more of an accomplishment than you can get from snowboarding IMO. I've done both for years and I must say, once you get into surfing, you won't be able to compare the two. Both have its benefits in unique ways.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »
This summer, I'd like to learn how to surf.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »
took a couple of surf lessons while in Hawaii a couple of years ago.  I really enjoyed it.

But I grew up on the rivers near Mobile, Alabama so skiing (water) and knee boarding is my preference.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
I haven't tried surfing yet, but its definitely on my to-do list. I love snowboarding, so hopefully I won't suck too bad when I finally try it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
I would surely try if it weren't for my hatred of water.