Author Topic: PC Help!  (Read 1002 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
PC Help!
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »
Hey, I'm getting fucking pissed. I bought the Sims 3 for my wife and I can't get the bastard to work. This is what happens when I load it from the launcher in Origin.

And this is what happens when I bypass the launcher and just try running the .exe (which seems to work for others).

I have no idea how to fucking fix this and I am at a complete loss. I don't know if doing a Windows7 install (currently Vista, yeah I know) would fix anything. But that's about the only option I haven't tried.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: PC Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
Looks like a DirectX issue. have you tried downloading DirectX and installing it? I don't know if you just need the latest version, or the specific version, as I don't play games.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »
Looks like a DirectX issue. have you tried downloading DirectX and installing it? I don't know if you just need the latest version, or the specific version, as I don't play games.

I've tried and it says I'm up to date.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:38:40 PM »
You may have to run it in compatibility mode. I had a similar problem with this game years ago but I forgot what I did to fix it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 05:58:33 AM »
Hijack this thread for a moment.

Have a tiny PC problem. Well not really a problem more like an annoyance. I formated my C: drive the other day. Haven't done it in a while and got a bit stuck on the partition part. Got a bit confused on how that works. After some googling and doodling I finally got it to work because for some reason I couldn't click next even though I had deleted and formated the paratition were my current OS was installed. So I rebooted and got back to the "where do you wanna install windows" and suddenly I could click next.

Everything works now and got the OS installed and everything but everytime I start my PC this screen comes up:

It's in viking language but it basically says:

Choose an OS and the options are:

1. Win 8.1 on partition 7

2. Win 8.1

I have not installed windows 2 times and I know I deleted the partition were my old OS was installed but for some reason it still ask my this question. The only thing I could think of is that I messed up the partions somehow or missed deleting some other partition of my old OS or something like that. As I said though it works fine when I click on the first option because I do know that I installed the new version on partition 7. I'm pretty average when it comes to PC knowledge so i'm sorry if it all sounds confusing.

Any suggestions?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »
Open msconfig and go to the boot tab and just delete the invalid option. Not at my desktop right now would've given you screenshots and more details.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »
Awesome, will try that!

Edit: Worked like a charm.  :tup I figured it was an easy fix.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »

I've tried and it says I'm up to date.
Your DirectX 10 and 11 are probably up to date. Make sure to update DirectX 9.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
You already know the answer.  Get rid of Vista

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 05:17:32 AM »
The OP of this post has been long-since solved.