Author Topic: One of the disadvantages of having a 'different' taste in music  (Read 3620 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: One of the disadvantages of having a 'different' taste in music
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »
What are the "racial stereotypes of hip-hop"?

The way how ethnic minorities are depicted by hip hop, most famously African Americans in American hip hop, and how most people assume that hip hop tells them "the truth" about other cultures.

You obviously haven't spun any Public Enemy.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 02:08:35 AM »
The goal of parties is to let everyone have fun.
So... why is it always me who's supposed to NOT have fun? :lol If it were just background music, it would be no problem, but damnit, it's so loud, always. Of course I wouldn't play Octavarium at a party... but something normal? with a normal volume?

There's this social phenomenon in Serbia that particularly makes me want to rage. There's this obnoxious type, a perversion of folk music that is extremely popular, played at every party, birthday et cetera. Now, it is considered a lower form of music, and I don't wanna act all snobby and say there's lower and higher music, but I have to agree with this opinion. And since no one wants to admit to liking "lower" music, they all say "well oh I just have to listen to it and know all the songs, since that's what they'll play at a club when I go out, you know. I actually like 80's pop hits and rock'n'roll, the good ol' tasteful stuff, that's what I listen to at home." SO WHY THE FUCK DO YOU PLAY THIS SHIT WHEN YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER MUSIC THAT SHALL BE PLAYED, IN YOUR HOUSE OR ON YOUR PARTY WHERE THE DJ WILL PLAY WHAT YOU WANT HIM TO??? "Oh you know that's what everyone wants to hear." Yeah right, ask around a bit.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
So... why is it always me who's supposed to NOT have fun? :lol If it were just background music, it would be no problem, but damnit, it's so loud, always. Of course I wouldn't play Octavarium at a party... but something normal? with a normal volume?

If you're not having fun because of the music being played then idk what to tell you.  Sounds like you're going to a nightclub rather than the college parties I'm thinking of from the rest of this thread.  I can agree the super-loud music gets on my nerves (until Daft Punk comes on  :metal) and if you're not having fun (like I did) then the scene just might not be for you.  I wasn't having fun (more because I'm an introvert who isn't a natural at bumping and grinding with strangers than the music), so I just hung out at more low-key parties from that point on. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 06:58:42 AM »

If you're not having fun because of the music being played then idk what to tell you.  Sounds like you're going to a nightclub rather than the college parties I'm thinking of from the rest of this thread.  I can agree the super-loud music gets on my nerves (until Daft Punk comes on  :metal) and if you're not having fun (like I did) then the scene just might not be for you.  I wasn't having fun (more because I'm an introvert who isn't a natural at bumping and grinding with strangers than the music), so I just hung out at more low-key parties from that point on.

Yeah, make sense. I hate clubs, and I never go to parties where the hosts are determined to make the house as "club-like" as possible.

That said, if the party is low-key and music isn't loud enough to the point I can't hear other people talk or have to shout myself, I really don't care what's on.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 07:06:13 AM »
I never go to parties where the hosts are determined to make the house as "club-like" as possible.
Here it's every host, which is partially why I never go to parties any more. Last time I went was a birthday of a very good friend, but she doesn't mind that scene, so there was thirty people taking her laptop hostage and playing music loud enough for me to have to text others to have a normal conversation.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
luckily I'm also into modern fusion, some of it bordering on "smooth" jazz, so I can let that play in the background without any issues.  Of course, anytime I have Porcupine Tree playing while people are over, they always ask who it is.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »
luckily I'm also into modern fusion, some of it bordering on "smooth" jazz, so I can let that play in the background without any issues.  Of course, anytime I have Porcupine Tree playing while people are over, they always ask who it is.

Thats happened to me a couple of times. Also, my friend who is mainly into hip-hop really dug Opeths Blackwater Park, he didn't mind the growls one bit.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »
I hate being asked to put on the music when we have people over/a party in our flat cos I always draw a complete blank and can only think of really obscure music that only I know and that isn't appropriate for the mood. I just get really stressed thinking WHAT DO NORMAL PEOPLE LISTEN TO?! and then make someone else take over  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
I don't mind commercial pop and hip hop, but I absolutely hate the type of really vulgar stuff you hear in clubs.
This. HEY EVERYONE HE'S TALKING ABOUT HIS COCK WHAT AN EDGY AND COOL SONG

Fuckin dem bitches and slappin dem hoes
shawty spinnin on my dick
round and round she goes

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »
I just get really stressed thinking WHAT DO NORMAL PEOPLE LISTEN TO?!
Oh, I feel you sister, I wonder that at least once per week :rollin

Offline jsem

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »
I just get really stressed thinking WHAT DO NORMAL PEOPLE LISTEN TO?!
Oh, I feel you sister, I wonder that at least once per week :rollin
This, so much. I find it difficult to keep myself up to date with whatever is the most popular thing currently. And whenever I do catch up, and I've been exposed to it for too long, I need some isolation from it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
I also rarely like a new 'hit' when it's new. Those tracks are getting played to death everywhere you go (like right now with 'Just give me a reason' by P!nk). I'm quite into 'Moves like Jagger' at the moment, but that was a hit two years ago.. I hated it when it was popular.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
I've never really had this problem.  I have an ipod full of crazy obscure stuff that I really enjoy and it's also full of a lot of mainstream stuff that I like. Usually if I have people over I'll just pop on some EDM and set it low volume. I've given up trying to introduce people to music a long time ago, I just enjoy it for myself.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 01:17:13 PM »
RARELY a problem. I only hang out with metal heads and go to rock clubs. :lol The worst that happen is that someone puts on Nickelback.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »
RARELY a problem. I only hang out with metal heads and go to rock clubs. :lol The worst that happen is that someone puts on Nickelback.

..... just to troll the rest of the gang  ;D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »
Pssshhht, I hang out with the metalheads at least 50% of the time but they've come to the point where they just play Gangnam Style 50 times in a row when we hang out because of... well, I don't know why, you'd need to ask them :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:28 AM »
^
Metal heads love that song and yeah, I have yet to figure it out. A metal version would actually probably be pretty entertaining though.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 02:15:02 AM »
Pssshhht, I hang out with the metalheads at least 50% of the time but they've come to the point where they just play Gangnam Style 50 times in a row when we hang out because of... well, I don't know why, you'd need to ask them :lol
Pff, when you're drunk, bad songs turn into HILARIOUS songs! :lol :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.