Author Topic: Quantum Leap Anyone?  (Read 3964 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Quantum Leap Anyone?
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
I forget what channel is running the series at the moment, I think it's G4 or something like that and I've caught a few episodes here and there. Man I used to LOVE that show! With the entertainment industry's lack of original programming ideas and pension for re-boots, I have to say I wouldn't mind if they took a stab at that one. I always hated how they shafted the series and just ended it....maybe they could come up with a way to re-introduce the concept.
  I don't even mean they'd have to bring good ol' Sam back.....even though I like Scott Bakula.....I just think with the technology today it could be neat. Anyone else use to watch that show and dig it as much as I did? Do you think it's just better left 'dead'.....and I should move on with this nostalgia attack?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Quantum Leap Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
I remember it well enough.  Wasn't a die hard fan, but watched a bunch of episodes.  Bakula was a beast though.  He had to play a new character every, single, fuckin, show.  Incredible acting on his part.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »
Not sure if Bakula liked cross dressing or if it was the writer/director's fetish, but it was quite annoying.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »
I remember it well enough.  Wasn't a die hard fan, but watched a bunch of episodes.  Bakula was a beast though.  He had to play a new character every, single, fuckin, show.  Incredible acting on his part.
He made the show that's for sure. I even liked him in 'Enterprise'.....

Not sure if Bakula liked cross dressing or if it was the writer/director's fetish, but it was quite annoying.

:lol It did seem like every fifth or sixth show he was a woman.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
Well considering he was leaping into the bodies of "random" people, being a woman any less than 50% of the time is getting off easy.

As for a reboot? Please, one million times, no. Most reboots aren't that good anyway and this show is very unique and special so I'd hate to see its legacy tainted by some (likely) half-ass production that ends up getting canceled after one season. It is funny, however, how clunky Ziggy looks now compared to how sleek and futuristic it looked back in '90.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
Well considering he was leaping into the bodies of "random" people, being a woman any less than 50% of the time is getting off easy.

As for a reboot? Please, one million times, no. Most reboots aren't that good anyway and this show is very unique and special so I'd hate to see its legacy tainted by some (likely) half-ass production that ends up getting canceled after one season. It is funny, however, how clunky Ziggy looks now compared to how sleek and futuristic it looked back in '90.

I agree with you, they'd ruin it. It's just a cool concept. I just hate how they short changes them on the series finale. Didn't they tell hem like the week of shooting the season finale that, oh yeah by the way... The series is over.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
Ya got me on that. I never even knew about the finale screwover until just now.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
Was a big fan of this show, watched it religiously up until the last season or so. Not sure why I lost track of it. Seems like it changed time slots a lot.

There were some very moving scenes I recall vividly. When he saved his brother in Vietnam only to realize he could have freed Al. The look on his face when he sees Al in the picture. Also seeing Al's picture at Beth's house before he knew who she was. Good stuff. Great balance of drama and comedy, a fun show to watch. Which is also how I feel about another one of Donald Bellisario's shows, NCIS.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
I may just start watching NCIS for Pauley Perrette. I wanna savagely nail her.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »
Was a big fan of this show, watched it religiously up until the last season or so. Not sure why I lost track of it. Seems like it changed time slots a lot.

There were some very moving scenes I recall vividly. When he saved his brother in Vietnam only to realize he could have freed Al. The look on his face when he sees Al in the picture. Also seeing Al's picture at Beth's house before he knew who she was. Good stuff. Great balance of drama and comedy, a fun show to watch. Which is also how I feel about another one of Donald Bellisario's shows, NCIS.

That episode you mentioned was powerful. I loved how they even allowed Sams brother to 'figure' it all out and right before Sam leaped his bro turned to him and said 'Thanks little brother'. I just hit a chill thinking about it.

Ya got me on that. I never even knew about the finale screwover until just now.
[/quote
I forgot the details of it, but know that once they found out they essentially threw a haphazard series finale together. It was ok but clearly not what they wanted to do. Essentially through a long conversation with God who was posing as a bartender Sam found out he could leap anywhere and he chose to leap back and tell Al's first wife, the only woman he ever really loved, to wait for him that he was a POW. Anyway, bottom line was the network dicked them all over basically.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
this show was so awesome.

"Jimmy" (the one where he leaps into a mentally disabled guy) was such a tear-jerker.  And the ending of that episode, when he is telling his young nephew a story and he begins with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away . . . It is a period of civil war . . ."  Mind.  Blown.  With awesomeness.  The leap date was 1964.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
Scott Bakula :heart

I enjoyed Q L as a child
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 06:50:22 AM »
Loved Quantum Leap so much

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 06:50:40 AM »
Hated the final episode.

There were a few ways they could have gotten Sam back that they even used in the series.

Lazy.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
Don't know anything about the circumstances of the final episode. Will have to research. I didn't have a problem with it though. I don't think TV series need to 'wrap things up' in the final episode. Sometimes it works out well with shows like "Cheers" or "Wings" that show things will continue to go on as normal for the cast, even when we aren't going to watch them any longer.

I may just start watching NCIS for Pauley Perrette. I wanna savagely nail her.

In a coffin? (which would go along with the whole 'nail' metaphor). I personally think Ziva could do some particularly naughty things to me. I would have liked to tie up Kate to my bed posts. Even Cassidy, and Jeanne were hotties. Basically every women of circumstance on that show, besides Shepard. What was I talking about...?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'