Author Topic: Happy New Thread - v. Resolutions  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Happy New Thread - v. Resolutions
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »
Hey, that's a good one though! Spend less time scrolling through meaningless stuff on social media and instead focus on what's going on in the present. That's a new year's resolution more people could adopt :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »
I agree that Twitter is way worse than Facebook, yet I still have Twitter and chucked Facebook again (and I never looked at it anymore anyway when my account was still active).  The thing with Twitter is sticking to what you want to see and not going down the rabbit hole of the crap.  I generally only follow peeps who talk music or sports.  And if any of those people start in on politics or society issues or anything like that, I unfollow them.  And I try to avoid looking at the trending issues since it is always the stupidest shit imaginable.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2021, 07:07:14 AM »
Not a resolution, per se, but in the last couple of years I have developed a very, very strong disgust with social media in general, but Twitter in particular.  It's a fucking cesspool.  I started avoiding it and actually removed the app from my iPhone last year and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.  My level of missing it is somewhere between 0 and less than 0. 

Facebook isn't quite as bad and I need it to keep in touch with my kid/grandkids but even on there, I scroll past more ignorant fucking stupidity than I can sometimes believe.

I signed up for Twitter and IG years, but never - NEVER - use them.  Pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of posts I've made at each there, and never proactively go there to find "information" or whatever.  FB is the same for me.  It's a way that I can keep in touch (actively and/or passively) with people who I don't often talk with or (pre COVID) see.

Not directed to you, but as a general comment, it's baffling that there are people who DO go there for "information".  WTF.  That's like going to the toy store Matchbox car department for "information" on how to fix your car.  Or going to the comic book store for advice on how to deal with your anxiety.

When did we get so...  shallow?   (Rhetorical)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2021, 07:12:39 AM »
Well, when legit media outlets use this to dispense “breaking news” that’s part of it. I guess what I was trying to say is that I only go to Twitter when someone I know and trust points me there x be it for something informative, ludicrous, humorous or anything in between.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2021, 07:14:50 AM »
The only information I get there is for Sports.  I follow certain beat writers to get up to date info.  Otherwise it's just interactions with band members and fans who like those bands.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2021, 07:17:57 AM »
One of 3 is complete

so I'll add a new one:  Learn a new language

Just go the app Babbel and its really good. I WISH I had this back in high school and college. Currently learning Polish which will be my 2nd language.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2021, 09:23:45 AM »
I tried learning French on Duolingo. Great app but I just cannot get on board with gender nouns. Why does it have to be Mrs table and Mr chair ?

Why can't I just say THE table ?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2021, 03:00:50 PM »
Because almost ever language other than English has multiple articles for words :lol

both le and la in French mean 'the', so it's not as if you're saying something weird.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2021, 03:08:13 PM »
If I ever go to France i'll just say Le for everything. Fuck em  :hat

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2021, 08:35:25 PM »
Making progress on the resolutions:

1. Preparing material for open mic now since they are now re-opening

2. Half way to Blue Belt in BJJ as of Monday

3. Getting better at learning Polish as a 2nd language each day and my fluent co-worker is helping me practice.

Newly added resolutions:

4. Go skydiving

5. Take Flying lessons (there's a place close to me that I think is $150 an hour total for lessons)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2021, 05:43:02 AM »
Making progress on the resolutions:

1. Preparing material for open mic now since they are now re-opening

2. Half way to Blue Belt in BJJ as of Monday

3. Getting better at learning Polish as a 2nd language each day and my fluent co-worker is helping me practice.

Newly added resolutions:

4. Go skydiving

5. Take Flying lessons (there's a place close to me that I think is $150 an hour total for lessons)

:tup :tup

Doing a parachute jump would be awesome. Can't imagine the cajones needed to actually jump out of a plane. It's not like jumping off the high diving board.

I had a dream once that I did a jump - and that falling sensation you get when jumping off a high diving board lasted the entire time  ;D

Although people who've done it say it doesn't feel like falling.

---

My Reso this year is to move back to the city. But what's holding me back is funds mainly - but also the fact that moving house is a gigantic pain in the arse.

It won't be as bad as last time I moved house as that was from Reading in England - which is about 60 miles west of London - to a seaside town in Wales.

Getting back and forth was so annoying. The city i want to move to is Cardiff - which is "only" a 2 hr drive. So will be much easier.

BUT - It's everything from - finding a place - getting the deposit etc... Emptying my current place. Blitzing it as much as possible to get more of my deposit back

( which I never expect back but hey ho ) - then moving it all down - Moving in etc etc. Plus having already found a job to pay the rent etc etc. :emo:  :sadpanda:

I don't hate where I live by any means - it's the best / quietest place i've ever rented and all the other tenants are sooo quiet and friendly.

BUT it's only nice in the summer. Because it's a tiny seaside town - when it's Autumn / Winter - it's unbearably boring and doesn't help my anxiety in the slightest.

Sorry for Wall of text. :sadpanda:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2021, 02:06:40 PM »
Crossed off skydiving from the list today

That was one hell of a ride

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2021, 02:35:55 PM »
Bitchin!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2021, 03:28:40 PM »
Wow!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2021, 08:53:40 PM »
So how did everybody's year go? Did you accomplish your 2021 resolutions? What are your 2022 resolutions?

I did alot of my mine but carrying over to 2022 would be earning blue belt in Jiu Jitsu (Getting very close) and also for 2022, I would love to meet someone to eventually have a child with.

How about you guys?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2021, 06:00:26 AM »
Well, it was certainly better than 2020, but not by a whole lot.

Personally, I turned 50, and my single goal was to be in the best shape of my life.  I kinda got there.  I think I was actually in the *best* shape sometime around March, but essentially maintained it throughout the year.  Professionally, work is as good as it's ever been - at least, with my current company (of four years).  We added a second dog (again) at the end of the year.

Family wise, it's been a tough one for mrs.jingle - COVID shit, and arthritis seems to be creeping in on her.  jingle.kids are at home full-time - jingle.son should be away at college, but has been 100% virtual since Sept '20.  Both had summer jobs, so that was a positive.  We did a handful of home improvements, and entertained the idea of doing a massive renovation (which we eventually scrapped, and will be doing a simple re-design/remodel of our main floor).

All in all, not bad, but could've been a lot better if not for COVID shit.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2021, 06:36:18 AM »
So how did everybody's year go? Did you accomplish your 2021 resolutions? What are your 2022 resolutions?

I did alot of my mine but carrying over to 2022 would be earning blue belt in Jiu Jitsu (Getting very close) and also for 2022, I would love to meet someone to eventually have a child with.

How about you guys?

I had to go back and check my resolutions :lol, I mostly accomplished them. I lost weight (but tied on the bet with my brother). I probably spent more time playing guitar this year than ever before so I did improve significantly. Didn't get the weekend car because the weekend car money was spent on my seemingly never ending dental issues..

Work's been great, and we did refinance our house at a stupid low interest rate and shaved off 5 years of our loan while taking out money to do some big projects.

I don't think I have many resolutions next year, I'd like to lose a bit more weight, and maybe get my braces off (not in control of this one), and get all the home reno's done.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »
Happy new year DTF!

Hmm resolutions.... I guess it's to keep up the new healthier lifestyle I started last year, which means exercising and cutting back on fat and sugar. I never touch alcohol anyway. I might even kick up the exercising a notch or two.

I managed to keep up the healthier lifestyle over 2021, doing some more running and eating healthier food. I will try to do the same in 2022.

I will also be looking for a new (bigger) apartment, I've been living here in my cramped apartment for way too long now. In the words of JLB: "I think it's time for a chaaaaaaaaaaaaaange!".

The COVID pandemic and lockdown hasn't really affected me that much. I'm a VERY antisocial guy, so traveling and going to concerts hasn't been in the cards for me anyway.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:38:09 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2021, 07:52:22 AM »
Just in time to recycle this thread for New Year's Eve :lol

I've played a lot more music, and found out there's a lot of things I love about that playing with other people. So much so, that I wanted to play with people more often; joining jam sessions, play in groups etc. A lot hasn't happened yet, because Covid affects everyday life here still, so a bunch of sessions and open mics simply aren't happening. However, I did get an enormously cathartic experience in the form of a summer camp for music that made me realise I may have taken the wrong turn somewhere in my education. I'm actively looking at study possibilities for next year, To be continued, I suppose..

Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »
jingle.family made it to 12:10am.  Our usual routine is dinner and a movie, so we held to that ... just in the basement this year.  Played some games as well, and flipped back and forth between Ryan Seacrest and Andy Cohen/Anderson Cooper (funny to see the latter two really hammered).

Resolutions ... none really, just not gonna pound back the sweets and alcohol like I did in December.  I never really do "new year" resolutions - what's the point of waiting for Jan 1 if you want to make a change in yourself?

The latter still holds (it’s gonna be a no-sweets January for me ... last 6 weeks have been BAD!).  I fully expect the 1st paragraph to hold true as well. Enchants is our planned movie.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2021, 10:38:12 AM »
Reflections on 2021:  It has been a challenging year.  It has been a blessed year.  In both senses, God is good, and we're still here and grateful for who we are, what we have, and what we look forward to.

Plans for NYE:  This will be a quiet one.  Our oldest son has a party to go to with friends, our middle son is working part of the evening, and my wife wants to keep it low key since we are still planning (hoping) to get away to Mexico in early January.  So we'll likely spend a quiet evening at home counting down with good food, games, maybe a Spiderman (Holland and Garfield) marathon. 

Resolutions:  Don't really do new years resolutions.  I do plan to get my eating and exercise back on track shortly after the holidays, as I fell pretty hard off the wagon this past year.  That's just a need that I see/feel and plan to act on.  I hope to be far down that road by Spring when I am looking forward to more backpacking and whitewater than I have done in previous years.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."