Author Topic: Darkshade's DT Top 50 Event  (Read 2966 times)

Offline darkshade

Darkshade's DT Top 50 Event
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »
Alright let's get down to it.

I've been a DT fan since the Train of Thought days, and pretty much like every DT song in their catalog, so doing this list was hard, but here we go.

Offline darkshade

Re: Darkshade's DT Top 50 Event
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:15 PM »
50. Peruvian Skies

One of the better songs on FII, I've actually always liked this song, even when I never bothered with much of the rest of the album. Has a very nice first half, reminds me of latter day Pink Floyd, but then the song kicks it up a notch with some nice metallic riffing. Not the best song in the DT canon, but you could do a lot worse.

49. The Dark Eternal Night

I've always liked this song for it's intensity, the intro is sick, one of the coolest intros. The verses are hit or miss for me, more miss than anything, and the chorus is nice but repeated too much. I happen to enjoy the instrumental section as well, I feel the last couple of minutes of the song, especially the ending, drag the song down a lot, thus why it's low on my list despite really liking it. Again, the intensity of this song makes it a great song to rock out to or to listen while driving.

48. The Best Of Times

This song is a nice major key song, and a nice break from the previous songs on Black Clouds & Silver Linings. Sure they don't have the best lyrics, but I don't really listen to DT for the lyrics. The music is refreshing after SC and the first 4 songs on BC&SL, and ends with one of the most beautiful sections of 2000s-DT: the closing guitar solo. It's a shame this song hasn't been performed live, if only because of the loss of hearing this great solo performed live.

47. The Answer Lies Within

Octavarium was my first new DT album after becoming a fan and getting to know their back catalog, so I have a sweet spot for it, and this song is no exception. Simple, yet effective, I've always enjoyed the feel of this song. Reminds me of the summer 2005 when the album came out.

46. Ytse Jam

Sure, this is considered a classic DT instrumental, and I agree. However, it's too Rush-influenced, and the band would clearly go on to write bigger and better things. However, it's one of the best songs off WDADU, and it's nice to hear the band play this nowadays, as they definitely play it with a little more "oomph" to it. The studio version (along with everything else of WDADU) sounds thin and flat. The main theme/riff is classic DT.

Offline Yoshi Yogurt

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »
None of these would make my top 50.

Good read nonetheless.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »
Nice start. Only Peruvian Skies and TDEN would make my top 50. I'd place TDEN much higher, as it rocks. :metal I don't understand the comment about the chorus repeating too much though. The chorus isn't repeated any more than a typical song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »
It's when it's repeated twice at the end, doesn't feel like it's necessary to me. They don't even throw in little different nuances to mix it up, they just play it exactly as they did the previous 3 times.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »
I personally don't see the problem.
First of all, playing a chorus twice wouldn't even begin to raise a concern with me. :lol Most stuff I listen to would end with at least one repeated chorus. Secondly, I'd only technically count it as playing the chorus once anyway. The first time the chorus plays, it's playing what I'd consider an abridged chorus, then the second and third time it plays the full chorus, with different lyrics, so it's not quite the same as just repeating. Not that I'm saying it's wrong to consider it a repeated chorus, as the only real difference is a few lyrics.

But I'm used to songs structured the same in regards to the chorus, so nothing about it jumps out at me. I guess we're accustomed to different things? :dunno:

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »
45. The Mirror

The heaviest moment on Awake, and possibly all of the 90s songs. This song is dark, and prefaces the 12 Step Saga. This song is actually iconic, as is provided inspiration for future prog-metal acts like Symphony X and Circus Maximus, among others. It's position on Awake is well placed, coming off the serene Silent Man, and leads into Lie very well, with reprises and solo on top. However, there are better Awake tunes to come.

44. A Fortune In Lies

One of my early favorites from when I was still new to the band. I actually heard the Live At The Marquee version first, way before I ever got WDADU, so I've always preferred that version. It's more energetic, has more bite, and has James on vocals. The studio version sounds thin and flat and lack a punch in the guitars. Nonetheless, this is probably the best song pre-I&W and a wonderful opener to the debut. The middle unison section is fantastic.

43. This Dying Soul

Unlike others, I've always liked this one. Considering Train of Thought had recently come out when I was digging into DT's back catalog, and The Glass Prison being the first song I ever heard from the band, this song hit all the right spots. It was heavy, fast, and reprised one of the riffs from TGP. Of course, the main theme has always seemed like classic DT to me: "This Dyyyyying Soul" (followed by the harmonic minor theme). This song is just a powerhouse of a Dream Theater song, even if this song is possibly what caused haters to claim the band wank on their instruments.

42. Wither

This song grew on me over time since BC&SL came out. Probably because of the huge songs surrounding it. However, this song wound up being one of the highlights of Black Clouds. This is one of the most well written short songs from the band, with great verses, catchy chorus, and wonderful short but sweet guitar solo.

41. Through Her Eyes

An underrated pretty song from DT, right in the middle of Scenes, it provides a nice breather between the first half of the album, and the second half. Lovely bass work from Myung and good solo from JP. I used to overlook this song but now it's one of my favorites. The main melody is beautiful, and is one of those DT melodies that makes me nostalgic and such.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Busy today, so short write ups.

40. Hollow Years

This is a good song, especially the Budokan version, which I'm basing a lot of this appreciation on. Good chorus and nice guitar solos.

39. Scarred

Starts out jazzy, but the song doesn't really pick up for a while until the song gets a little more aggressive. Nice guitar/keyboard unison. Great song overall.

38. The Dance Of Eternity

One of the coolest DT tunes. Crazy? You don't even know! One of the first DT songs I ever heard and still enjoy it.

37. In The Name of God

Great epic tune, and heavy. This is one of the better Train of Thought songs, I even get a kick out of the noodly part because of what Myung is doing underneath. Great refrain.

36. Eve

Beautiful tune, wish it was longer. Makes me feel nostalgic.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
Most of those didn't make my list. But nice to see TDOE!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
Sad to see Scarred, ITNOG and Eve so low, but at least they're on the list.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
Many of these I would place higher, but TBOT is probably around the same number for me.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 06:33:52 AM »
Sad to see Scarred and ITNOG so low, but at least they're on the list.
FTFM

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 07:13:47 AM »
FTFM
But Eve! :(

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 07:47:15 AM »
FTFM
But Eve! :(
Eve is great, but not in my top 50. Close though.

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
Most of these would be higher, except for Answer Lies Within and maybe The Mirror.
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
35. Caught In A Web

One of my favorite 90s DT songs. Something about this song (and many others on Awake) have a certain atmosphere to it. This is the first time we hear JP using a 7-string guitar on a DT tune, and a good start IMO. I really like the chorus, JLB really used to belt them out.

34. The Spirit Carries On

A DT classic. A little too much DSOTM-era Pink Floyd influence, but a good tune. In context f Scenes, it's even better. However, this one never really did anything for me until years after getting into DT, otherwise this would be a little higher up on my list.

33. Pull Me Under

Another classic DT tune, there was a time when this was one of the most overplayed songs by both the band and myself, so I was burnt out on it for some time. Recent years have been kinder to the song, as it's not Dream Theater's only "hit" (the band is known for at last a few songs now). However, this has always been a well written tune, one of the band's catchiest choruses, and a great driving riff throughout.

32. On The Backs of Angels

When this song was released, I listened to it so much in the months leading up to ADTOE's release. I never appreciated it as much due to it being a YouTube download, but after having the album for a while, I realized this one was still one of the best songs on the album. I never made the comparison with Pull Me Under, it's got it's own identity, not to mention the great piano improv section in the middle. The ending always gives me goosebumps.

31. In The Presence of Enemies

I love all of DT's epics, but this one is just a little overlong, and has too much of a mainstream modern rock/metal sound during part 1 in the verses. However, the intro and all the instrumental sections kick ass, and the main theme is one of the band's best. I think I'd rank this higher if it was one track instead of being divided and book-ending Systematic Chaos. Still a great listen, and the best thing about the album.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »
CIAW, TSCO, and PMU are outstanding. I'm not really a fan of the other two.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 01:21:48 AM »
Excellent batch.  :metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »
30. Lines In The Sand

This is a cool DT song, it has a lot of Derek's sound, which I really appreciate, being a big fan of Planet X and his solo material. Lots of great keyboard parts, and guitar too; this is one of the most rockin' songs from DT. Only thing I don't like is the guest vocalist but luckily he is used very sparingly here.

29. The Shattered Fortress

The final movement in the 12 Step Suite, I like it until some time after the big keyboard solo, then I feel like it loses a little momentum, but in context of the entire suite it sounds a lot better. The aforementioned keyboard solo is a highlight of BC&SL, but more because the riffs underneath are kick-ass. The entire first half of the song just pummels you, and thankfully JP brings the song back to life with his solo, and the finale is great as well.

28. The Great Debate

This is one I never really got into until years after discovering DT. I believe this is one of the band's most complex songs, both in structure and in the actual parts. Heavy use of clips here which make it seem like the topic is more important than the music, ironically considering how crazy the music is. Sounds like something Frank Zappa was sometimes accused of. An underrated song, I don't throw it on as often as others, but when it's on, it's fantastic, and I appreciate it a lot.

27. Under A Glass Moon

One of the best songs from Images and Words, though I didn't get into it when I was still kind of new to the band. The rhythms in this song are phenomenal, the song is kind of unique in the DT catalog, and the guitar solo is not only a wonderful solo, but one of the best conceived solos of all time.

26. Vacant

Beautiful song, sometimes even more on Score than the original on Train of Thought. Short and to the point, and a nice lead in to Stream of Consciousness.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 01:52:25 AM »
More greatness!  :metal

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »
LITS is fantastic, and that's almost exactly where I put UAGM. :tup
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 05:16:08 AM »
Yes, Vacant!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 05:53:56 AM »
TSF is the only one I don't care about, all the others are great tunes! :tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »
25. The Root Of All Evil

Crunchy riffs, what a great way to start an album. Great reprise of This Dying Soul, and I also like how it ties in the 12 Step Suite with Octavarium and the full circle theme, being that the song ends with the main theme from that epic tune. I think I enjoy the Score version even more because of the added energy, but also because you can hear JP's solo. On Octavarium, there are many times where I find it just a little hard to hear Petrucci's solos, or at least it's mixed too low in comparison to everything else.

24. Take The Time

Funky DT. Well, not really, but I always thought the first verse sounded like something from an 80s Michael Jackson song. I don't know why... Anyway, this song has some of the craziest music DT ever wrote, and it all just sounds fun, instead of sounding dead serious like most later DT stuff does. Great ending section, and lots of catchy vocals (as is usual for I&W).

23. These Walls

Another Octavarium track, this one is extremely underrated, as most of the songs on Octavarium are. I like the subtle time signature changes, and the main theme, when played on guitar, is gorgeous. Jordan backs JP up nicely with some fine classic DT chords.

22. 6:00

One of my favorites off Awake. I enjoy the grooves in this one, and I like JLB's vocals too. Also, the keyboard solo may be my favorite keyboard solo from Kevin Moore. This song just rocks, and I'm glad they brought it back to the set list live.

21. Honor Thy Father

There's just something about this song. It's so riff heavy, but it grooves so hard, and I love the middle section with the keyboard line, and the added harmonies every repetition.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
HTF is higher than how I rank it, but it's a good song and the rest are great.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »
Another good batch of songs.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »
Take the Time and 6:00. :heart

TROAE and These Walls are two of the better songs from Octavarium. HTF is my least fave on TOT, though.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »
24. Take The Time

Funky DT. Well, not really, but I always thought the first verse sounded like something from an 80s Michael Jackson song.

That's funny, I have thought the same since I first time heard TTT  :lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
Great to see HTF, 6 and TW so high.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
23. These Walls

Another Octavarium track, this one is extremely underrated, as most of the songs on Octavarium are. I like the subtle time signature changes, and the main theme, when played on guitar, is gorgeous. Jordan backs JP up nicely with some fine classic DT chords.

Massively underrated song is massively underrated.  LOVE this song, and I about had a conniption when they played it live during the first NA leg for ADToE.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
23. These Walls

Massively underrated song is massively underrated.  LOVE this song, and I about had a conniption when they played it live during the first NA leg for ADToE.

Very excited to see/hear These Walls on the new live album.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »
No kidding, me too!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »
23. These Walls

Another thing we agree on. :tup Such a beautiful song, that focuses on great catchy melodies, and shows a lot of restraint without ending up simple or dull.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
Is this still happening?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »
No, sorry. Real life kind of got in the way. But I'll cut to the chase.

2. The Glass Prison

This was the first song I ever heard from DT, around the time Train of Thought came out, maybe before it was released, and I still love the song. A great way to start the 12Step Suite, it's just one of the coolest songs ever written in the rock/metal world. Period. I don't think I have to explain how much this song means to me, and it could be seen as my first exposure to any kind of prog music.

1. Octavarium

This song is one of the greatest prog rock epics ever conceived, on a very good and underrated DT album. This epic has a special place in my heart, I am very emotionally attached to it. The song pretty much IS 2005/2006 for me. There was a couple of years after where I couldn't listen to it anymore, either because I had burnt myself out on it, or because it made me too nostalgic, but the magic came back a few years ago during my DT renaissance, and it has never left the top spot for me since.