Author Topic: To the computer techies out there... another laptop purchasing question...  (Read 563 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Yea I know I already made a computer thread...

Ok here is my basic question. What would the big difference be between a laptop with a i3 processor (I believe it said clocks in at 2.4Ghz) w/ 6Gb ram and a laptop with an i5 (2.5 Ghz) w/ 4 Gb Ram?  I've got 2 machines I am looking at atm...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200666
and
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310634

I do a lot of web browsing (no biggie), do some gaming (would be nice to be able to play minecraft smoothly) and would like to get back into video editing (Pinnacle Studio).  I am unsure of the processor speed of the laptop I am replacing but I know it has 4GB of ram and runs an AMD processor. I can post specs when I get home after bowling tonight.
I've been doing some research on i3 vs i5 and I think I am leaning towards the Lenovo, mainly because the RAM can be upgraded...

Any suggestions?

or any recommendations that stays around this price? 

(ps I love you guys)

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
i5, hands down.  4GB is plenty of RAM, and like you said, upgrade-able if needed.  Plus, I like the look of the lenovo better, too.  ;D

Offline Elsydeon

i5, hands down.  4GB is plenty of RAM, and like you said, upgrade-able if needed.  Plus, I like the look of the lenovo better, too.  ;D

What he said.

I have an ASUS i5 with 4gb and have had no issues using it at work. I do alot of remote work troubleshooting with citrix while multitasking on reddit and the youtubes and have had no complaints since I got it.