Author Topic: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (FINISHED)  (Read 17665 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 35-34)
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
Regina Spektor has a great voice! Very fun
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:10 AM »
Wooo Rite of Spring!! :) I love Firebird too, not really familiar with Petrushka though

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2013, 02:17:58 PM »
Le Sacre du Printemps + Petrushka =  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Haven't listened to the Firebird much but it's great.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »
Damn, this list is good.

The Rite of Spring :heart
Fortress :heart (is better than Scurrilous, really.)
Moon Safari :heart

And Mumford is cool. Everything I have heard from Regina Spektor is also nice and interesting.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
Wooo Rite of Spring!! :) I love Firebird too, not really familiar with Petrushka though
Petrushka is absolutely bonkers, but it's very enjoyable. Definitely one of his classics.

Glad you guys are enjoying the list so far! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 33-32)
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
33. Hiromi – Voice [2011]
Also recommended: Move [2012]

For those who don’t know her Hiromi Uehara is one of the greatest jazz pianists who ever lived, who comes in the surprising form of a very small Japanese woman. Her playing is absolutely sublime, and having seen her live, it’s almost impossible to understand the complete perfection in the precision, control and emotion in her playing. There is not a single note that she plays that she doesn’t mean to, and every note is perfectly balanced and controlled. She often plays quite romantic jazz with strong leanings into fusion, and likes to play around with different sounds and ideas. Her album Voice is a bit more traditional in sounds, focussing very much on her trio of piano, bass and drums, and not venturing much into other keyboard sounds. But the musical style definitely takes influence from rock music, and creates a highly engaging and entertaining listen.

Recommended tracks: Voice; Labyrinth; Delusion

Her most recent album, Move, continues her trio project, but sees her explore some more wacky keyboard sounds again, but still with a strong focus on piano. Really it’s more of the same, just a bit more experimental, and is another highly enjoyable album. Highly recommended.

Recommended tracks: Rainmaker; 11:49PM

32. Between the Buried and Me – The Parallax II: Future Sequence [2012]
Also recommended: Colors [2007]; The Great Misdirect [2009]

Between the Buried and Me are easily one of the heaviest bands I listen to. For me, nobody else seems to be able to achieve the absolute intensity that BTBAM manage at times. But what I love about them is how much they change things up and play around with different styles and ideas. They have a real sense of fun to go alongside the intensity of their music, and can write some truly lovely melodies. Their music can jump around a lot and doesn’t always feel entirely coherent, but for some reason that never seems to matter – it’s just not how they do things. Their latest album, Parallax II, is easily their strongest in my opinion, it takes the more proggy experimentation of The Great Misdirect but refines it into a surprisingly well crafted album that is at times brutal and at others beautiful.

Recommended tracks: Lay Your Ghosts to Rest; Telos; Silent Flight Parliament

BTBAM have been on a great run recently, and their previous two full lengths are also brilliant. Both have similar mixes of skull crushing riffs and gorgeous melodies, but the reason they don’t quite stack up to Parallax II is simply that they don’t hold together as albums quite as well.

Recommended tracks: Ants of the Sky; White Walls; Obfuscation

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
But, but. Colors is the best!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
I'm always thinking that I should love BTBAM. You know, it has everything: some skull-crushing metal, some progginess, harsh vocals, clean vocals, varied songwriting, experimentation.... but for some reason, the whole package doesn't work for me. I've tried multiple times, but it just doesn't click with me. Really have no idea what it is. :dunno:

Hiromi doesn't sound like quite my cup of tea, though as a pianist that is currently venturing more into jazz, I feel that I should check it out.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »
I just recently bought Hiromi's album Time Control. It was fantastic and I was amazed by her playing.

I like Between The Buried and Me but I can only take them in small doses and I have to be in the right mood to listen to them.

Offline adace

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »
I just recently bought Hiromi's album Time Control. It was fantastic and I was amazed by her playing.

I like Between The Buried and Me but I can only take them in small doses and I have to be in the right mood to listen to them.
:tup to both.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »
Petrushka is absolutely bonkers, but it's very enjoyable. Definitely one of his classics.

Glad you guys are enjoying the list so far! :D

Just found out it's being played at the Usher Hall (which I live right next to) in May along with Dvorak's cello concerto, I may have to splash out on tickets and go see it performed  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Do it do it do it! Dvorak is great as well.

Awesome! I like Time Contol, but I find it a bit more out there and not as accessible. It's still really good though. There's something about her latest two that are just another level for me though.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 31-30)
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »
31. Amorphis – Silent Waters [2007]
Also recommended: Eclipse [2006]; Skyforger [2009]

Amorphis are another band that somehow manage to combine heavy music with beautiful melodies. Not at all in the same way as BTBAM though, Amorphis are much more Scandinavian in their style (which makes sense as they are from Finland). Their music is atmospheric and actually quite simple, really, and they play it very nicely. Silent Waters is a fantastic album – it carried on what Eclipse (the first album with Tomi Joutsen, their current singer) started but refined it. The heavy bits are heavier, the Nordic folk influence is allowed to really come to the fore at times, and many of the melodies and harmonies are just stunning. But above all it is the atmosphere that they create on this album that gets it just right.

Recommended tracks: I of Crimson Blood; Her Alone; Enigma

Since Joutsen joined the band, I think they’ve been on a fantastic run of albums. I recommend Eclipse and then Skyforger after Silent Waters as both have a lot of great stuff on them. The Beginning of Times is also very good, but as the fourth, and with the style changing little, it is getting a little stale.

Recommended tracks: House of Sleep; Perkele (God of Fire); Sampo

30. Muse – Absolution [2003]
Also recommended: Origin of Symmetry [2001]; The 2nd Law [2012]

Muse are band who divide opinion in so many different music communities, in a way that only the biggest bands in the world can do. They attract rock fans, metal-heads, pop teenagers, old women, literally every demographic or group of people has a reasonable contingent of Muse fans within it. A lot of that is down to the fact that they make intelligent but incredibly accessible music. Absolution, for me, was them at their very peak. It has a coherence to it that none of their other albums have achieved – somehow it feels like more of a complete work than the others. There is still their usual variety, mixing bombastic rock songs with some groovy pop, but the way the album flows makes it all fit together and creates a very rewarding listen.

Recommended tracks: Sing for Absolution; Stockholm Syndrome; Butterflies & Hurricanes

Origin of Symmetry is considered by many old school fans as their best album, and indeed it has many really great songs, and a sort of youthful energy to it. The 2nd Law, their latest, is in my opinion a top notch return to form after a couple of good but not great albums. They get more and more diverse in style with each album, but on The 2nd Law they’ve shown that they can actually do so in an interesting and enjoyable way.

Recommended tracks: New Born; Citizen Erased; Animals

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »
Amorphis! :tup I would've picked Skyforger, but SW is one of my favorites too. Those who haven't checked these guys out need to do so immediately - they're the best Finnish band ever and they have a great new album coming out! :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
Amorphis! :tup I would've picked Skyforger, but SW is one of my favorites too. Those who haven't checked these guys out need to do so immediately - they're the best Finnish band ever and they have a great new album coming out! :metal
Yeah, and as I said, while I like TBOT a lot, it was getting a bit samey, so really looking forward to the slight change in direction!

Sorry the delay all, got very busy and accidentally caught up on my writeups! Next update coming right up...

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 29-28)
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
29. John Coltrane – Blue Train [1958]
Also recommended: A Love Supreme [1965]

Blue Train is such an iconic jazz album, and for good reason. It was Coltrane’s first full creation of his own, and really put him on the map as a great solo musician. As hard bop goes, it’s basically unbeatable. The music is intricate without being overly complex or confusing, and it is very accessible and enjoyable. He creates great moods with his compositions, and the performances on this album are almost the definition of cool at times. I started getting into jazz at uni when I played in a big band, but that was all about the fun, loud stuff. When I discovered Coltrane, it opened me up to all sorts of new things.

Recommended tracks: Blue Train; Moment’s Notice; Lazy Bird

A slightly later work of Coltrane’s, but he still had it. This is probably a slightly more emotive album, with some very sweet melodies, but I find it doesn’t hold my attention as well as Blue Train.

Recommended tracks: Acknowledgement; Psalm

28. King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King [1969]
Also recommended: Red [1974]

Some people claim this to be the first true prog rock album. Regardless of whether that is true or not, it certainly made a huge impact on the genre, and continues to be incredibly influential. King Crimson have always been defined by how much they’ve experimented and pushed the boundaries of rock music, and this debut album really kicks things off. Much of it is straightforward by today’s standard, but even now I find parts of it very unique and modern (production notwithstanding). It was so ahead of its time, which is fine in and of itself, but on top of that it’s a genuinely great album that still today really engages me.

Recommended tracks: 21st Century Schizoid Man; Epitaph; The Court of the Crimson King

I will admit that, despite my love of ITCOTCK, I have checked out very little of KC’s music. The other album that I really dig, though, is Red. Within 5 years they’d transformed their sound (and their lineup) and again sounded ahead of their time with something that still sounds great. I would really appreciate any other recommendations!

Recommended tracks: Fallen Angel; Starless

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
Whoo, King Crimson.

The cover art still creeps me out, though.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
Blue Train!  Yes!

I had that one at pretty much the same spot on my list.  Great place to start for a jazz beginner, I feel.  And I think I mentioned this in my top 50 thread, but it's amazing how young these guys were to be making such classic music.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Onno

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »
Hell yeah, Blue Train  :millahhhh

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
I've been meaning to get into Coltrane for a while, and I've been planning on starting with Blue Train or A Love Supreme. I will check him out soon.

ITCOTCK is a great album, and Red is my absolute favorite from them.

I will admit that, despite my love of ITCOTCK, I have checked out very little of KC’s music. The other album that I really dig, though, is Red. Within 5 years they’d transformed their sound (and their lineup) and again sounded ahead of their time with something that still sounds great. I would really appreciate any other recommendations!
I'd check out the other two Wetton albums - Starless and Bible Black and Larks' Tongues in Aspic. The three Wetton albums are my three favorite KC albums. In The Wake of Poseidon is pretty similar to ITCOTCK stylistically so you may like that one too.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
I like KC from Larks' Tongues onwards more than the early material, with THRAK and The Power to Believe being my faves.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2013, 04:15:32 AM »
Yeah I have Wake of Poseidon already, and it's very nice, just not quite as exciting as the two albums in my update. That's my entire experience of KC though, so thanks for the recommendations! :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2013, 04:29:30 AM »
Yeah, and as I said, while I like TBOT a lot, it was getting a bit samey, so really looking forward to the slight change in direction!
Agreed.

I've heard the debut by KC and it has a couple of good songs, although the whole album isn't that solid. I might check Red out at some point though.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »
A Love Supreme > Pretty much every single record ever made. Blue Train is pretty good, but it's got nothing on A Love Supreme.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:09:26 PM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2013, 04:45:21 AM »
Updateupdateupdate!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 27-26)
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
Updateupdateupdate!!
Sorrysorrysorry!!

27. Ulver – Perdition City [2000]
Also recommended: Blood Inside [2005]; Wars of the Roses [2011]

And now for something REALLY DARK! Ulver are an absolutely bizarre band – I remember when Ian (Sigz) was living in London, we went to see Ulver play in Camden, and they just played the entirety of their new album at the time (which hadn’t even come out yet, and therefore nobody had heard), and then one older song as an encore. That sort of mentality really comes across in their music. It’s very experimental and just refuses to play by any sort of rules or conventions. Perdition City I think is the peak of their output. It’s dark and intense, but quite beautiful at the same time. Just don’t expect any rock music.

Recommended tracks: Lost in Moments; Hallways of Always; Nowhere/Catastrophe

It’s hard to choose which other albums of theirs to recommend as they’re all so different, but my other favourites are Blood Inside (more of a return to their early metal influences) and Wars of the Roses (the album that Ian and I saw live) which is almost post-rock in style. Both are great albums!

Recommended tracks: Christmas; Blinded by Blood; February MMX

26. Caravan Palace – Caravan Palace [2008]
Also recommended: Panic [2012]

Almost the polar opposite of Ulver. While everything Ulver makes is very intense and serious, absolutely nothing that Caravan Palace makes is intense, or serious. Defined as electro-swing, their jazzy, funky, electronic music is probably the most fun music ever. Again there is a connection to Ian here, as he introduced me to them in one of my song roulettes. :heart This is their debut album, and it really is just so great, and so entertaining. I remember back in November 2011, soon after discovering them, I was very stressed one day (combination of awaiting exam results that my job depended on, and anxiety over meeting a girl) and just couldn’t focus at work, but I literally played this album on repeat, all day, on my iPod, and it cheered me up so much. Wonderful stuff.

Recommended tracks: Dragons; Star Scat; Jolie Coquine

Panic is their second album, and it’s also really good fun, and nicely done. It’s not quite as fantastically entertaining as the debut, and because that’s their USP, I don’t enjoy it quite so much on its own, but I often play the two albums together on random shuffle, and the songs themselves stand up.

Recommended tracks: Clash; Maniac

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Ulver are fantastic, though I only know Perdition City and Shadows of the Sun, and the latter is my favourite by quite a margin.

Caravan Palace is pretty swell as well... actually, Ian introduced me to them during my roulette as well! I really loved the track but I didn't delve deeper for some reason. Might have to do so in the future.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline adace

« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »
Perdition City :tup

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »
Updateupdateupdate!!
Sorrysorrysorry!!

:laugh: I forgive you for the two great updates  :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
Ulver are fantastic, though I only know Perdition City and Shadows of the Sun, and the latter is my favourite by quite a margin.
If you like the more ambient style, then definitely give Wars of the Roses a listen!

Updateupdateupdate!!
Sorrysorrysorry!!

:laugh: I forgive you for the two great updates  :tup
:heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 25-24)
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »
25. Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor “Pathétique” [1798]
Also recommended: Symphony No. 9 in D minor “Choral” [1824]; Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor “Appassionata” [1805]

And now for a bit of old Ludwig. Beethoven’s piano sonatas are my absolute favourite of his works, he had an ability to write such great and engaging music considering it was all on one instrument, and I find it amazing how much I really get into the music considering just how old it is. It goes to show how ahead of his time he was. The Pathétique is one of the famous sonatas (not nearly as much so as Moonlight, of course, but more interesting), so it’s maybe a slightly clichéd choice, but I really love the way he blends beautiful, melancholy music with very fast-paced motifs. The first movement is one of my absolute favourite bits of piano music.

Recommended tracks: All of it, it’s only 20 minutes long!

For my other choices, I’ve gone with another of his sonatas (the Appassionata), which similarly has a nice blend of mellow and fast music, but is a little grander in tone. And of course his epic 9th symphony. Those familiar with classical music will probably know this one already. If not, shame on you!

Recommended tracks: The whole things

24. Shpongle – Tales of the Inexpressible [2001]
Also recommended: Nothing Lasts… But Nothing Is Lost [2005]; Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland [2009]

To continue my eclectic streak (honestly, I didn’t do it this way deliberately!) I present some more electronic music, but this time more in the psychedelic vein (Shpongle often get classified as psybient or psytrance, but I those terms don’t really do them justice, based on other groups I’ve heard within them). Basically, to sum up, their music sounds like it was created on drugs, and it almost certainly was. I’ve never done drugs, but listening to a whole album of their music gives me a bit of an idea what it’s like! But it’s more than that, the music is really intelligent and ideas are developed and nurtured. Tales of the Inexpressible is a truly fantastic album – cool ideas, great hooks, quite a few danceable beats, and a really nice Latin American influence at times to go alongside their usual Indian influences.

Recommended tracks: Dorset Perception; My Head Feels Like a Frisbee; Around the World in a Tea Daze

Nothing Lasts is another huge fan favourite, and it’s hard not to love it. It’s split into separate tracks, but really it’s one complete work, and takes you on a great journey. The mix of styles is very similar to those on Tales. Ineffable Mysteries leaves the Latin American behind a bit and really focusses on the Indian influences, and is another highly enjoyable and atmospheric album.

Recommended tracks: When Shall I Be Free?; The Stamen of the Shaman; Electroplasm

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
Beethoven  :heart

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
Sorry about the infrequency of updates in the last two weeks (like anyone is surprised), I've been moving flat and shit has been crazy.

I am going to have a dedicated session tomorrow to do a whole load of new write ups, so we should have daily updates again for a while!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
Sorry about the infrequency of updates in the last two weeks (like anyone is surprised)
:lol