Author Topic: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (FINISHED)  (Read 17660 times)

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 45-44)
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 01:31:36 AM »
Kid A and Amnesiac are my fav Radiohead albums, but Ok Computer is amazing as well ~
I love beautiful things.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
I don't know if that works for your format, but my V2 will focus on stuff that has recently moved up, but at the same time will feature no double from my first list. Therefore, I will post a revised Top 50 at the end, the final ranking compiled out of my two lists, so to speak, because neither list acurrately reflects my tastes to 100%. Perhaps that would work for you?

that's a good idea.  I can work with that, ariich, if you want to do it that way.
To be honest, I think it's easier to just use this list once I'm done with it. Although it's not a true top 50 due to having only one entry per artist, it's still a better reflection of my tastes now. :)

Sorry for the absence yesterday, was away all day. Next update coming up shortly!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
I don't know if that works for your format, but my V2 will focus on stuff that has recently moved up, but at the same time will feature no double from my first list. Therefore, I will post a revised Top 50 at the end, the final ranking compiled out of my two lists, so to speak, because neither list acurrately reflects my tastes to 100%. Perhaps that would work for you?

Way to steal my idea  ;)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 43-42)
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »
43. Leprous - Bilateral [2011]
Also recommended: Tall Poppy Syndrome [2009]

Leprous are a recent discovery for me, recommended to me by last.fm’s Spotify app, purely based on other artists I’ve listened to. I’ve found a few really great bands this way, and Leprous are one of them. Norwegian prog metal with some death metal leanings, they create an amazing and very unusual sound. A key part of this, I think, is Einar Solberg’s unique and versatile vocals. His clean voice is powerful, and his growls are intense, but at times he also employs a unique half-sung half-screamed style that I don’t think I’ve ever heard before, and which works surprisingly well. This would be pointless without great music supporting it, but fortunately Leprous are not found lacking here. Bilateral, in particular, has so many great riffs and melodies that I found myself listening to it over and over when I first got it.

Recommended tracks: Bilateral; Mb. Indifferentia; Painful Detour

Tall Poppy Syndrome is another excellent album and, to be honest, very nearly as good as Bilateral. I think the only real distinction for me is that, by their second album, they had refined their sound and become a bit more consistent in quality.

Recommended tracks: Passing; He Will Kill Again

42. The Reign of Kindo – Rhythm, Chord & Melody [2008]
Also recommended: This is What Happens [2010]

Another last.fm/Spotify discovery, here. Reign of Kindo are difficult to describe, but essentially they blend Dear Hunter-esque proggy indie rock with strong jazz/blues leanings. The result is great music that sounds somewhere between The Dear Hunter and Michael Bublé, although that still doesn’t do it justice. Their first album, Rhythm, Chord & Melody, is a fantastically enjoyable album full of brilliant tunes, that really does do its title credit. The album is full great performances and some really nice lyrics as well.

Recommended tracks: The Moments In Between; Till We Make Our Ascent; Something in the Way that You Are

Their second album, This is What Happens, carries on in a similar vein, and is also a very nice album. For me, the melodies aren’t as consistently strong as on the debut, but otherwise it’s really nice stuff, and there’s a bit more push on the jazz side as well.

Recommended tracks: Thrill of the Fall; Symptom of a Stumbling

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adace

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »
Two great albums :tup Glad someone else here knows about Reign of Kindo!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »
Bilateral is one of my favourite albums too! The Reign of Kindo are great as well.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
Wow, still waiting for an album I've heard . . .

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »
Bilateral :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
Tall Poppy Syndrome  :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
Wow, still waiting for an album I've heard . . .
:lol Yeah there will definitely be stuff later on that EVERYONE has heard, but as I said in the OP, my tastes are very eclectic. If anything sounds interesting from my write ups, definitely check these things out, you might find you discover some good stuff.

Glad these two bands are getting some love though! :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 08:21:24 AM »
Leprous had some discussion here last year.  Maybe you people should spend more time at DTF  :)  But yeah on Leprous  :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 41-40)
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
41. Dog Fashion Disco – Adultery [2006]
Also recommended: Committed to a Bright Future [2003]

As promised early on, here is some adultery. DFD are a dark, avant-garde metal band, but with a real sense of fun and humour, which is often where their horn section comes in. Adultery is a concept album about, well, take a guess. :P Although that’s not it, obviously. It’s a creepy, comic book style story told through noir-esque metal music that incorporates all sorts of other styles as well, particularly swing and jazz, but also a bit of punk and even country at one point. DFD basically got better and better with each album, and they peaked here at the end of their run with this entertaining and engaging album that will make you laugh, feel chills, sing along and headbang, almost all at the same time. 

Recommended tracks: Silent Film; The Hitchhiker; 100 Suicides

Committed to a Bright Future was the previous album to Adultery, and while it doesn’t have the narrative or the noir feel, it’s still a top-notch avant-garde metal album with its tongue in its cheek.

Recommended tracks: Pogo the Clown; The Magical Band of Fools

40. Closure in Moscow – First Temple [2009]
Also recommended: The Penance and the Patience EP [2008]

Ok, another last.fm/Spotify discovery, but this is the last one, I promise! Closure in Moscow are an Australian rock band who I would categorise as “modern prog” in the vein of bands like The Mars Volta – sort of prog post-hardcore. CiM aren’t nearly as experimental as TMV, but on the other hand they have a much more engaging and enjoyable sense of riff and melody. First Temple is their first full length album, and it’s excellent from start to finish. There’s something about their music that gives off a very epic feel, like it’s telling a story that’s as huge as their sound. And the sound is huge.

Recommended tracks: Kissing Cousins; Vanguard; I’m a Ghost of Twilight

The Penance and the Patience was their first EP, and it’s similarly good, just a little less refined and not as consistent. There’s still a lot of great stuff on it though, well worth checking out.

Recommended tracks: We Want Guarantees, Not Hunger Pains; Jewels for Eyes

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
I don't know Closure in Moscow, but I'll check that out. I received a song from Adultery in my roulette, and loved it!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »
Onno: you should definitely check out DFD, their last three albums are fucking amazing. On that note, yay for DFD! Adultery is one of my favourite musical discoveries that I've made through this site, and I can't thank Rich and Justin (and by extension, Harry) enough for that. :)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »
DFD rules.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 39-38)
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »
39. Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More [2009]
Also recommended: Babel [2012]

And now for some English folk-rock! I don’t know how familiar DTF is with Mumford, but their music is really very nice indeed. It ranges from quite upbeat folk music, through mellow and melancholy, to dark and quite intensely emotional rock, but the overall sound stays consistent and makes their music really engaging. Sigh No More was their debut album, and I loved it right from the first listen, having been introduced by Antigoon I believe in my first song roulette. Marcus Mumford’s vocals are another thing that really stands out, ranging from heart-wrenching to soft and sweet, and always fitting the music and the words!

Recommended tracks: White Blank Page; I Gave You All; Thistle & Weeds

Babel is their second album, and it very much follows where SNM left off. The songs are just as good, the only reason I don’t rate it quite so highly is that it’s a bit too similar, and doesn’t have as much intensity as some of the songs on SNM. I’d like to see them branch out a bit more in future.

Recommended tracks: Lover of the Light; Broken Crown

38. Georges Bizet – Les Pêcheurs de Perles (The Pearl Fishers) [1863]

And here we have the first of my classical entries, and opera at that! Bizet is most famous for Carmen, which I’m less familiar with and not so keen on. The Pearl Fishers seems relatively unknown apart from one semi-famous duet, but it’s a beautiful opera, and having seen it on stage it’s quite gripping. The story is fairly straightforward for dramatic opera – romance and death – but nicely told, and perfectly accompanied by some wonderful music, ranging from epic chorus pieces to close and personal arias and duets. On CD I’ve only heard one production (the one I’ve included the album art for) but I really like, so would certainly recommend it to any classical fans who haven’t heard this opera before. Or if you get a chance to see a professional production, do it!

Recommended tracks: Au fond du temple saint (Temple Duet); Sur la grève en feu; Ton Coeur n’a pas compris le mien

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 02:41:17 AM »
I've been really into classical music lately, but I generally don't really like operas. Will give this one a try.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2013, 05:25:13 AM »
In my opinion operas are always best first experienced on stage, as then the music has context and fits the story.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2013, 05:28:03 AM »
Ooh haven't heard The Pearl Fishers before, I'll have to give it a listen  :laugh:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2013, 05:54:29 AM »
Didn't know you liked opera! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2013, 06:06:25 AM »
In my opinion operas are always best first experienced on stage, as then the music has context and fits the story.
I agree, though I haven't seen one yet.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2013, 06:18:14 AM »

I'm no expert and more into other forms of classical music but it's a growing interest  :)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
Just checking in to thank you for sharing! Sarah Fimm is a great new find for me, very relaxing on first listen...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
The Thomas Giles album is pretty good although I think he's one of the most bland harsh vocalists out there and think his clean vocals are his strong point.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 08:00:31 PM »
While I am not familiar with too many choices thus far, and am downright displeased with Radiohead being on the list, I must say I am impressed and visually stimulated by your impressive formatting.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »

I'm no expert and more into other forms of classical music but it's a growing interest  :)
Splendid, that might not be the last one to appear in my list. ;)

Just checking in to thank you for sharing! Sarah Fimm is a great new find for me, very relaxing on first listen...
:tup

While I am not familiar with too many choices thus far, and am downright displeased with Radiohead being on the list, I must say I am impressed and visually stimulated by your impressive formatting.
:lol Thanks, I guess.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 37-36)
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2013, 01:58:48 PM »
37. Moon Safari – Lover’s End [2010]
Also recommended: blomljud [2008]; Lover’s End Pt. III EP [2012]

Moon Safari are a very unusual beast: happy, but not cheesy, rock music! I really don’t know how they do it; their music is consistently upbeat and positive, and yet never descends into cheesy or corny. Listening to their music really does make me feel very happy – the style, the melodies, the performances, it’s all top-notch prog. They really do make it seem so easy that I wonder why other bands struggle so much. Lover’s End, their third album, in particular is a very well-paced, well-crafted work. And of course, best of all, THOSE VOCAL HARMONIES!

Recommended tracks: A Kid Called Panic; The World’s Best Dreamers; Heartland

Blomljud, their second album is much longer at 2 discs, and it’s not quite as slick, but it has so much great music across it, definitely also worth checking out. And most recently they released a one-song EP (still 24 minutes) for Lover’s End part 3, which is also really nice and references much of LE in interesting ways.

Recommended tracks: Methuselah’s Children; Bluebells; Lover’s End Pt. III

36. Regina Spektor – Far [2009]
Also recommended: Soviet Kitsch [2004]; What We Saw from the Cheap Seats [2012]

I know there are a few Regina fans here, but I rarely see much discussion of her or her music. She creates absolutely delightful alternative piano pop, which has morphed over the years, though she has never lost her beautiful voice. While I like her quirky older music, which was essentially just piano and voice, I actually think she’s now hit her stride bringing in different sounds and styles. Her album Far was, for me, just the right balance. It covers everything from cutesy piano pop, darker emotional songs, and epic songs with an intensity more commonly found in rock music. I also really like her lyrics, which cover a huge range of subjects and styles, but which always display a nice sense of rhythm and quirk, and so even at her angriest she is always relatable and enjoyable.

Recommended tracks: Human of the Year; Genius Next Door; One More Time with Feeling

It was hard to choose which other two albums to recommend. I’ve included her latest as it really carries on where Far left off, and does so nearly as well. The other, which used to be my favourite, is Soviet Kitsch, which was the album that saw her start to branch out from purely piano songs, and has some absolutely beautiful stuff on it, if a couple of duds as well.

Recommended tracks: The Flowers; Somedays; Ballad of a Politician

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
I wouldn't say that I love Regina Spektor, but whenever my dad listens to her (which is actually quite often), I thoroughly enjoy what I am hearing. Out of which I know, I'd say that Far is probably my favourite of her's - maybe I'll make a conscious delve into her work myself soon.

As for Moon Safari, they sound interesting. I'll check'em out on Spotify or YouTube.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »
I love Moon Safari, but I still haven't heard Lover's End. I have their other albums are they are fantastic. Great upbeat, catchy prog.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 06:06:19 AM »
I have to be in just the right mood for Moon Safari most of the time.  I guess I'm the human version of grumpy cat.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2013, 06:17:52 AM »
Looks like I'll be checking out Moon Safari.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
If you like prog that is generally fairly traditional in style, and you want something quite upbeat, then yeah you really have to check out MS.

Don't listen to the Doc...

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 35-34)
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »
35. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous [2011]
Also recommended: Fortress [2008]

Before I discovered Protest the Hero, I never would have really envisaged their style, fun as it is, as being something that would become one of my favourite bands. I generally like my music to develop in interesting ways, and to be coherent, whereas PTH jump around so much and cram so many ideas into their songs.  But there is something about the class, precision and tongue-in-cheek satire that fills their proggy metalcore that is just so, so enjoyable. They’ve got better with each album, and their latest has really refined their sound in my opinion – some people don’t like the fact that there are very few growls (quite why that should matter I have no idea) but for me the consistent quality of the riffs and melodies beat out everything else they’ve done.

Recommended tracks: C’est la Vie; Hair-Trigger; Tongue-Splitter

The previous album, Fortress, is also top notch. More epic in some ways, though not quite as consistent in quality as there are a couple of songs that don’t really do anything for me. It’s a bit heavier and more serious though, so I can see why some people prefer it. 

Recommended tracks: Bloodmeat; Spoils

34. Igor Stravinsky – The Rite of Spring [1913]
Also recommended: Firebird [1910]; Petrushka [1911]

More classical music! Stravinsky is a composer who very much divides opinion – some people find him too brash and un-melodic, which I can understand, although he has been known to write some great tunes. But what he is best known for is his percussive style and his sense of rhythm, mood and atmosphere. This is completely epitomised in his ballet the Rite of Spring, which I’m sure will be familiar to many people here, not least because of the appearance of part of it in Disney’s Fantasia. The way he builds up foreboding moods really tells a story, and the intensity in the climaxes is almost second to none. I’ve never actually seen this performed as a ballet (same goes for all his ballets), only ever in concert, but even there it’s always been such an engaging experience.

Recommended tracks: Not really applicable as it needs to be experienced as a whole.

I’ve included two of his other ballets, as that’s where his talents really lay in my opinion. Petrushka and the Firebird are not quite as intense and have more of a sense of fun, but as such they’re a little quirkier and not quite so accessible, although very rewarding still.

Recommended tracks: N/A
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:23:35 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
I really enjoy Igor Stravinsky

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »
Fuck yeah The Rite of Spring! Awesome piece of music from start to finish, and easily my favourite of Stravinsky's works. :metal