Author Topic: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (FINISHED)  (Read 17586 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (FINISHED)
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:50:42 AM »
So, my top 50 is back! My old one, which took place 2 years ago, is here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=23120.0

Much will be different this time. I wouldn't say my tastes have changed particularly, but I've continued to discover a lot more music, and so I want to do things a bit differently this time. Here are some of the key features:
  • Classical music is in! I left it out last time because I couldn't figure out how to include it, but I was never really happy with the omission, and I've made other changes that will make it easier to include, particularly...
  • One "entry" per band, artist or composer. I'm going to cheat a little bit, because the main entry will be my favourite album/work by that artist, which is the one that earns it the place in the ranking, but I will also make mention of up to two other albums/works by the same artist if there are others that I love.
  • Regular updates. "BUT RICH" I hear you cry, "YOU SUCK AT REGULAR UPDATES". This is true. But I have a lot of spare time today, so I am going to be writing up a lot of updates in advance, so that even if things get busy, I can post updates easily.

Many people here already know I have quite random and eclectic tastes, and how pretty much any genre has a legitimate chance, although of course not all will be represented. I know over 1,700 albums, so narrowing down to 50 is not exactly easy (although like I said, I've totally cheated and more than 50 albums will get mentioned). I'd love if people can participate by joining in discussion about what I'm posting, and in particular by recommending me other things you think I might like, and at the end if there are any genres you think aren't represented I want you to tell me and to make recommendations!

Ok, I think that's about it for preamble. As I said, I'm starting a whole load of write ups today. The first update will arrive this afternoon. Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:23:07 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:04:01 AM »
Following!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:07:52 AM »
Following. I expect to see some Adultery on this list.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:11:44 AM »
Following.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:17:36 AM »
You can always rely on me for adultery. :eyebrows:

I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:31:27 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:39:29 AM »
You can always rely on me for adultery. :eyebrows:
Sweet! Does that mean I'll be sexed later? :eyebrows:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 50-48)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:20:25 AM »
Ok, first update already!

50. Sarah Fimm – Nexus [2004]

I will admit that I have not checked out much of Fimm’s other music, and that which I have heard hasn’t grabbed me all that much, which is why Nexus is the only album mentioned here. It is, however, a really gorgeous album. The down-tempo vibe is very calming, and her voice is very soothing. It’s a perfect album for chilling out in the evening before bed, or hiding indoors on a rainy day. I believe it was Zander who told me I should listen to her music, and I’m glad this was the album I was told to try, because it is one of very few albums I have that really put me in a relaxed mood.

Recommended tracks: Velocity; Story of Us; Sky is Falling Down

49. Thomas Giles – Pulse [2011]

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first decided to get this album, having heard that it was much less intense than BTBAM and mostly clean. Giles is one of the best harsh vocalists out there in my opinion, and his clean voice has a nice quality but I wasn’t sure it’d be enough to carry an album. The album impressed me a lot on the very first listen though, and quickly became a favourite! His voice doesn’t need to carry the album (although he does a perfectly good job), because the quality and variety of the music is what makes this such an engaging listen. The mix of big rockers, mellow ballads, unusual piano songs and heavy electronic tracks works surprisingly well, and he pulls all the styles off really well. And of course, there is still one metal track to keep the BTBAM fans happy.

Recommended tracks: Sleep Shake; Mr. Bird; Scared

48. Fair to Midland – Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True [2007]
Also recommended: Arrows & Anchors [2011]

I’ve said this before about FTM, but they are difficult to define. Alt-rock? Alt-metal? Whatever, they are a great band, always striking me as a cross between indie rock and modern metal. Fables From a Mayfly is such an excellent album – crunchy riffs, great melodies, and a small amount of experimentation. Above this all, there is something about the music that makes me feel like I’m being carried away into a tale of fantasy and adventure. It’s the sense of whimsy and storytelling that really makes this album stand out and become such a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

Recommended tracks: Dance of the Manatee; Kyla Cries Cologne; April Fools and Eggmen

Arrows & Anchors was the band’s second major release (yes I know there were albums before Fables) and it’s another very solid album. The quality of the songs is just as good as on Fables, I think the only reason it doesn’t grab me quite as much is that it doesn’t have as much of that storytelling quality. Still well worth a listen though!

Recommended tracks: Musical Chairs; The Greener Grass
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:59:32 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 06:23:26 AM »
I don't know any of these, but I'll check them out if I have time  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 06:38:43 AM »
Pulse has me intrigued. I'm actually a huge fan of Giles' clean vocals on BTBAM, while I don't really like his harsh vocals, even though I like harsh vocals in general, so I'll look into that sometime in the future.

Fair to Midland had me intrigued during my roulette with Dance of the Manatee (thanks Ian!), but nothing of their other stuff grabbed me like that track did, so I wrote them off - besides, I had a lot to check out. Maybe I'll revisit them later, though they're not very high-up on my priority list.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
I have the FTM album but not the other 2.  I've seen you post many times about Sarah Fimm and It's time I check it out!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 07:43:33 AM »
I don't know any of these, but I'll check them out if I have time  :tup

Check your inbox :lol I'm just seeing this after I sent.

Nice first batch :tup also, following.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 08:57:12 AM »
Following!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »
ariich, does this replace your first list, or is it more of a supplement to it?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »
Aww sheeit, didn't know this was in the works.

Cool to see Sarah Fimm! And a shot-out to yours truly. Following.  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
Preamble?  More like preramble :lol

Just kidding.  I like the Tommy Giles album, but probably not enough to include in a list like this.  FTM would probably make it, as their two most recent albums are fantastic.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
I just downloaded that Sarah Fimm album from Amazon. Going to give it a listen tomorrow.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 03:12:28 AM »
Pulse has me intrigued. I'm actually a huge fan of Giles' clean vocals on BTBAM, while I don't really like his harsh vocals, even though I like harsh vocals in general, so I'll look into that sometime in the future.

Fair to Midland had me intrigued during my roulette with Dance of the Manatee (thanks Ian!), but nothing of their other stuff grabbed me like that track did, so I wrote them off - besides, I had a lot to check out. Maybe I'll revisit them later, though they're not very high-up on my priority list.
Yeah you should definitely give Pulse a listen, it's great. And with FTM, I'm surprised other stuff hasn't grabbed you so much - I'd say give my recommended tracks a listen and see what you think!

Hmm, is this in the context of your totalling/averaging overall list? What have you been doing with other v2s?

Aww sheeit, didn't know this was in the works.

Cool to see Sarah Fimm! And a shot-out to yours truly. Following.  :tup
:heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 47-46)
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 07:44:41 AM »
47. Alcest – Écailles de Lune [2010]
Also recommended: Les Voyages de L’Âme [2012]; Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde [2007]

French band Alcest fill quite a unique niche for me, with their blend of post-rock, shoegaze and black metal. I don’t find there to be any other band that does this sort of thing nearly so well, creating such great atmospheres and soundscapes. Because the nature of the music is that it mostly changes slowly, it does require some patience and is sometimes better as background music, but there is enough going on to make dedicated listens also worthwhile. It’s a nicely crafted album, and in particular the way it opens and closes is so fantastic, it always leaves me feeling very moved after I listen.

Recommended tracks: Écailles de Lune Pt. I; Solar Song; Sur L’Océan Couleur de Fer

Their latest and first albums are also very good – very similar in style and equally atmospheric. They sit a little behind not through any problems, but simply because they don’t hold my attention quite as well. The latest, Voyages, would be a contender though – and the increased variety in sounds makes it a more diverse album.

Recommended tracks: Autre Temps; Summer’s Glory; Tir Nan Og

46. Dredg – The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion [2009]
Also recommended: Catch Without Arms [2005]; Chuckles and Mr Squeezy [2011]

Dredg create such a nice sound within their poppy alt-rock style, and for me this album is the epitome of that sound. It’s quite hard to describe what it is about their music that is so great, people have to listen for themselves really, but I think it’s a combination of factors. Lovely melodies, Gavin Hayes’ sweet vocals, the blend of rocking songs and emotional climaxes. They try out lots of different ideas, most of which they pull off nicely, and they have a real knack for writing catching and memorable songs that really stick with you!

Recommended tracks: Pariah; Ireland; Gathering Pebbles

Catch Without Arms is another great album, only falling behind because it doesn’t have the diversity that Pariah has. Chuckles is a more unusual, at times poppy and electronic, album that put a lot of fans off, but I really dig it, and yes I prefer it to El Cielo. Come at me, bros. 

Recommended tracks: Catch Without Arms; Sang Real; Somebody is Laughing

I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:10 AM »
So far, nice picks.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 08:25:03 AM »
The Alcest album is great and Pariah is amazing. My second favourite dredg album after El Cielo. How you can like Chuckles more than that I can't imagine for the life of me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 09:00:01 AM »
Hmm, is this in the context of your totalling/averaging overall list? What have you been doing with other v2s?

yes

some people have told me it is a replacement for the original (i.e. an update of the v1), in which case I will just delete the v1 list and put in the v2 list.  But others have said it is a supplement (like DTVT's underrated bands, or something like a 51 - 100), so I will just ignore those and not enter it into the database.

I would say if this list represents your top 50 albums as of right now let's go ahead and replace your v1, but if the v1 is still your top 50, let's keep it in the database.
Winger would be better!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »
Alcest > dredg

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »
Alcest > dredg

QFT. Alcest are pretty awesome, thanks for introducing me to them in my roulette Rich! I've only heard Écailles, though.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
I've only heard the first Alcest album, but it's beautiful and I want to check out the newer releases too.

Offline adace

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »
Alcest and Dredg :tup

Offline Onno

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
Alcest is great!

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »
Good update  :tup

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »
*follows*

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Top 50 Albums, v2! (update: 45-44)
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
45. Michel Camilo – One More Once [1994]

Jazz! For those who don’t know Michel Camilo, he’s a jazz pianist from the Dominican Republic, and his works have taken many different forms, including solo works and trio albums. This particular album, One More Once, is Camilo doing big band jazz, and I think it is by far the best thing he’s done (aside from a rendition of Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue which is also fantastic). It’s just so thoroughly enjoyable. The music is top notch big band jazz, often with a Latin American vibe, and he surrounds himself with loads of great musicians. He’s also able to mix it up a bit as well, with a couple of ballads, and some tracks that are more unusual in rhythm or harmony. Anyone who likes big band jazz must check this album out!

Recommended tracks: One More Once; Caribe; The Resolution

44. Radiohead – OK Computer [1997]
Also recommended: In Rainbows [2007]; Hail to the Thief [2003]

I’m sure plenty of people here are familiar with Radiohead already, happily or otherwise. Not all of their albums sit particularly well with me, some of them I’ve found either too dull or too odd. But when they get it right, boy do they get it right! OK Computer could mostly be described, I suppose, as old-Radiohead, generally fitting around their existing indie rock style, but their experimental side was starting to come out. This created a fantastic, powerful and surprising album that immediately won me over way back when it first came out and has stuck with me since.

Recommended tracks: Paranoid Android; Exit Music (For a Film); Electioneering

While the first two albums were a bit straightforward for me, and the two that followed OKC were a bit out there, Radiohead hit their stride again with Hail to the Thief and, in particular, In Rainbows. As they managed with OK Computer, on both these albums they find a great blend of indie rock and experimentation.

Recommended tracks: Jigsaw Falling Into Place; Down is the New Up; Last Flowers to the Hospital; 2+2=5

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »
The Alcest love is very pleasing! :D Why don't they get so much discussion on here?

The Alcest album is great and Pariah is amazing. My second favourite dredg album after El Cielo. How you can like Chuckles more than that I can't imagine for the life of me.
You're not alone. If anything, I was expecting more backlash than that. :lol

yes

some people have told me it is a replacement for the original (i.e. an update of the v1), in which case I will just delete the v1 list and put in the v2 list.  But others have said it is a supplement (like DTVT's underrated bands, or something like a 51 - 100), so I will just ignore those and not enter it into the database.

I would say if this list represents your top 50 albums as of right now let's go ahead and replace your v1, but if the v1 is still your top 50, let's keep it in the database.
Hmm, tricky. I mean, this is far more up to date, so I guess it's a replacement, even if it's not a straightforward top 50.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »
I don't know if that works for your format, but my V2 will focus on stuff that has recently moved up, but at the same time will feature no double from my first list. Therefore, I will post a revised Top 50 at the end, the final ranking compiled out of my two lists, so to speak, because neither list acurrately reflects my tastes to 100%. Perhaps that would work for you?

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »
All three of those Radiohead albums are high quality.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
There are many elements to this (one per band, other records, etc.) that I used for my list, so I'll be following for an idea of how to do it.

Also, Radiohead FTW!
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
I don't know if that works for your format, but my V2 will focus on stuff that has recently moved up, but at the same time will feature no double from my first list. Therefore, I will post a revised Top 50 at the end, the final ranking compiled out of my two lists, so to speak, because neither list acurrately reflects my tastes to 100%. Perhaps that would work for you?

that's a good idea.  I can work with that, ariich, if you want to do it that way.
Winger would be better!