Author Topic: Metalheads - why do you like metal? (serious question)  (Read 11399 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Metalheads - why do you like metal? (serious question)
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
It sounds cool.

That's really all it is for me.

This.

Yep.  Metal resonates with me primarily because it sounds cool, and because those cool sounds are really useful; if music is about expressing emotion, then metal provides the precise tools to express such emotions as "anger", "excitement", "angst", "power", "unity", etc.

Of course, I like other genres too, because the sounds of metal aren't so good at expressing some ideas.  Metal isn't the only thing I listen to for the same reason that you don't try to fix every household problem with a hammer.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »
I like different kinds of metal for different reasons. Black metal has an atmosphere that I love getting submerged in. Death metal is just all :metal :metal. Prog metal I love listening to the instrumentation and experimentation. Just a few examples.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 02:58:21 AM »
Now, though, I don't find myself liking metal very much. In fact, I think it's one of the most bloated, pretentious genres out there.

Does anyone else see the irony of saying this on a forum for prog, the very definition of bloated and pretentious music? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 03:00:09 AM »
I've always found minor key music more appealing than major key stuff, so I guess it's natural for me to like metal. Metal can wash away your own feelings of sadness, anger, etc., but it can also pump you up and make you feel energetic when you're not in a bad mood.

Metal is also very diverse - the optimistic catchiness of power metal, the sad atmosphere of gothic and doom stuff, and the pure aggression of death metal all fit under the umbrella of the same genre. The vocals can be clean or harsh, the songs can be complex epics or 3-minute anthems and lots of different influences like classical, folk and electronic music can be mixed in. I've never been into core stuff or overtly brutal metal with no melody at all, but I can still definitely call myself a metal fan, because there's so many other kinds of stuff that I like within this style of music.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 03:17:11 AM »
Growing up, I was into the music my folks were (mainly Dad) - The Beatles, ZZ Top, what's now basically classic rock... I could go on, but that's not why I'm posting.  When I was 8-10, I still liked a bit of pop but I was starting to get into a bit of a different style from my folks.  I guess the album that really started the journey into hard rock/heavy metal was when I bought AC/DC's Back in Black when I was 10.

I don't want to post a long history here, but AC/DC was my gateway "drug" to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, 80s hair metal (yes, I admit it) and eventually Metallica, Megadeth and a LOT of other bands... which eventually led me to Dream Theater and, most recently, Opeth.

I guess I love the music that I do because it first spoke to me on a level that I needed it to (still does, really)--it helped to get me through a LOT of emotional pain in my teens and IMO there's nothing more cathartic than getting your heart pumping/banging your head like a mad person, etc.  It's weird to say that music defines me, but it DID help to shape who I am now.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 03:23:54 AM »
Honestly, I don't know how to answer this question. I could say the energy and darkness play a part in it, but after seven years of listening, metal has become just music to me. I never notice how heavy or energetic or dark or well-played something is... I just notice it when I listen to music that's lacking in all of these departments.

I also think metal is music for young people and that, in order to like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Cannibal Corpse and what have you not, you need to have a bit of a 15 year old boy inside of your soul. I also think you need to be a really sincere and active music lover to, after a certain age, ignore the overall immaturity and special-cookie attitude of your fellow metalheads and simultaneously be able to keep up with the ridiculous number of quality releases coming out, and I think that's the reason why a lot of people stop listening to metal in their late twenties and thirties. For a lot of them, metal is more of a brotherhood than music, and as soon as the brotherhood becomes less appealing to them, they back out.

I also think metal is the best gateway drug into all other sorts of alternative music. It's the underground genre that floats closest to the mainstream so it catches people who are not interested in mainstream music first. You start trudging through the underground, then at some point you start thinking you need to give non-metal stuff a try too, and since going to the radio is not an option, you start digging out all these other weird fringe genres. Before you know it, you're into prog, or goth rock, or industrial, or post rock, or ambient, or whatever.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 03:26:09 AM »
Honestly, I don't know how to answer this question.

Agreed - it's hard to quantify it and put it into words.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 03:26:45 AM »
Honestly, I don't know how to answer this question.

Agreed - it's hard to quantify it and put it into words.
True.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 03:50:08 AM »
I also think metal is the best gateway drug into all other sorts of alternative music. It's the underground genre that floats closest to the mainstream so it catches people who are not interested in mainstream music first. You start trudging through the underground, then at some point you start thinking you need to give non-metal stuff a try too, and since going to the radio is not an option, you start digging out all these other weird fringe genres. Before you know it, you're into prog, or goth rock, or industrial, or post rock, or ambient, or whatever.

I never thought about it like this, but that absolutely holds true for me. Metallica and Iron Maiden were my gateway into the weirder stuff like Godspeed You!Black Emperor, Devin Townsend, Buckethead, Dog Fashion Disco, Grayceon, maudlin of the Well,... Without listening to metal first, I would have never gotten there.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2013, 03:55:09 AM »
I agree - the gateway remark is totally correct.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 03:57:32 AM »
Yeah, it's the same for me - I've discovered some non-mainstream and obscure stuff through metal.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 04:10:41 AM »
I have to admit, I used to be a lot more into metal than I am now, but there are a few metal bands I do really still like (DT and Opeth are the main ones). I think the thing that attracts me to the metal bands I do still like is surprise, as that's what pretty much attracts me to anything I like (and why I'm a huge proghead). I like things to be unpredictable, and also not how I would have thought of doing them. I am fascinated by things I don't necessarily fully understand, but there is something about darker and more abstract art (I include music in the realms of art, so I'm not just talking about painting, but that is also included) I can connect with better (despite largely being a very content and usually excited person).

That, and I like rhythm. There are times when my father listens to certain classical pieces where it feels to me that things are not necessarily coming in on the right beat, and that really jars with me. I like the almost hypnotic quality of rhythm, especially if it shifts and changes repeatedly, which changes the hypnosis in a way.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 04:18:42 AM »
Just an observation...

This thread seems to operate on the concept of "metal" as being a style of music that was born with Black Sabbath's debut album.   This is a POV I just don't understand.

To me, "metal" is a concept...an attitude.   Anything that furrows your brow and makes you raise your fist in the air.    There are so many classical pieces that are far more "metal" than half of what is called "metal" today.

If you want to see the true spirit of "metal"....it is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLwzuQuRsw
THIS.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline philmcson

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 05:17:11 AM »
a lot of people stop listening to metal in their late twenties and thirties

:facepalm:

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2013, 06:13:41 AM »
So energy, powah!

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »
Basically why I still like it now, is because of the energy and groove. I also like that it's mostly not too happy, not in a shallow sense like radio pop. Ofcourse metal also has bands that do have this plastic thing going on too.

I think what's also important is the diversity: Metallica, Pantera, Dream Theater, Tool, Deftones, Mastodon, Isis, Baroness, Meshuggah, Opeth: I all consider them Metal or at least 'Metallic'. Deftones kind of has that 80's goth vibe going on, with so much musical and lyrical depth: the 'metallicness' only sharpens the sonic attack. The best Metal bands are IMO the bands that aren't really Metal at the core, but use the metallic attack as a vehicle for their aesthetic. In other words, it has to be a bit more than just 'going for it'.

I tend to like Metal as a whole less and less, BUT I'll always remain a sucker for a killer riff, groove, or a cool guitar solo. Honestly, sometimes I can't figure out why someone would hate such a thing.

What also really struck me as totally true: I see others here are saying Metal is more of a concept than it is a style of music. I totally agree with that. Something can be very metal without sounding like it. It's a certain attitude, a brand of badassness. With this in mind, I think I'll never turn my back on Metal. Not in this lifetime anyway.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2013, 06:46:05 AM »
Unrivaled energy.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
Good post Milena, agreed!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:11 AM »
Just an observation...

This thread seems to operate on the concept of "metal" as being a style of music that was born with Black Sabbath's debut album.   This is a POV I just don't understand.

To me, "metal" is a concept...an attitude.   Anything that furrows your brow and makes you raise your fist in the air.    There are so many classical pieces that are far more "metal" than half of what is called "metal" today.

THIS.  :tup

I'm glad *someone* related. 

Metal has existed for centuries.   What is known as "metal" today is simply the modern day "song of angry men"....and there is a romantic sensibility to that. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »
Just an observation...

Like Nightmare on Bald Mountain
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
Just an observation...

Like Nightmare on Bald Mountain

Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky....yes.   Perfect example.    But I would put Rite of Spring by Stravinsky and even Beethoven's 5th right up there.   

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2013, 11:14:08 AM »
Mars - The Bringer Of War by Holst is mertl as fuck.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »
Jammin, your explaination is why I consider Heritage by Opeth metal. I also know certain songs that would be great played heavier.

I mean also look at what Symphony X has done, put classical pieces within their songs and not many noticed they were classical pieces.

Some EDM is metal.  Hip-Hop has used metal. Metal to me is the same as Rap, its a style.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
Metal has no boundaries, and is the most diverse music genre IMO.  It's a true expression of natural human emotion that other genres dare not explore.  It's real, aggressive, full of balls and the most rewarding.  It just seems true, raw and real, and IMO is the genre that is the least polished and fake.  Smart people like and understand metal.  And real men listen to metal, and if you don't, you are not my friend.

Maybe I just biased but I never understand when I see a dude pull up in their car with the window down blasting the latest girly pop crap at full volume.  I think to myself, you're a man, show some balls and listen to something real.

Wow, there is so much there I disagree with, I don't even know where to begin.

First, metal is not more diverse than rock.  No how, no way.  Hell, metal is more or less a subgenre of rock, so if you want to argue that metal is the most diverse subgenre of rock, then that is a different thing altogether, but if you disagree with it being a subgenre of rock, there is simply no way it is more diverse than rock.

Second, smart people like and understand metal?  Haha, okay.  Way to generalize there, man.  I am pretty sure there are a lot of smart people out there who don't listen to metal, and I am even more sure that there are a lot of dumb people who do listen to metal.  What does it all mean?  Nothing.  It is not like metal is some sophisticated genre that only smart people get (which is what your statement implied).

Third, real men listen to metal?  Geez, there you go with the generalizing again. 

Fourth, you aren't friends with anyone who doesn't listen to metal?  Way to limit yourself there, man.  Good thing I don't adopt that philosophy when it comes to bands I like and dating, as most girls hate Rush. :lol

Fifth, I used to work with a guy who was about as alpha as alpha gets, and among other artists, he listened to a lot of, what you called, girly pop crap.  And I am pretty sure that he was a real man.  It is absurd to imply that a man's manliness is dictated by what kind of music he listens to.  Do you also think a man must go to strip bars, get drunk every weekend and settle every disagreement with his fists to be a real man?

Lastly, you aren't biased; you just appear narrow-minded with your approach to music and to people.  With all due respect, how old are you?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:54:18 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
Uhhh dude, metal is the music for the intelligentsia in our society. Get with it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
IF YOU DON'T LIKE GROWLS, GROW SOME BALLS

Remember that from a few years ago?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2013, 11:52:29 AM »
^ this is more of a gender roles argument so I don't think it is suitable for a GMD thread but I will say I agree with you. If you're a man, whatever you do is manly. Drinking beer, lifting weights, listening to metal? If a man does it, yes, manly. Wearing dresses, listening to Britney Spears and shaving your armpits? Manly as fuck, also. I think people should not be limited by their physical sex to do things they enjoy.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »
^Yep.  Let's try not to be super sexist, dudes.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
False. Having a poonie is not manly.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
yes, it is

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »

She's right you know. She didn't say literally everyone stops. :P I'm hoping I can retain my currently diverse taste as I age.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
I secretly think that metal is actually very feminine. Just look at all those dudes with long hair. Girly men.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »

She's right you know. She didn't say literally everyone stops. :P I'm hoping I can retain my currently diverse taste as I age.
Yeah, a lot of people's tastes change over time as they grow. It's not likely that I'll ever start thinking "Man, metal is such childish music, why did I ever like it?", but it's not impossible that I might just gradually start losing my interest in heavier music at some point - you never know the future.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:00:50 PM by ? »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »
It is a true statement.   Again, the statement was not that EVERYONE stops listening to metal at thirty...but most do. 

I notice that I listen to *less* metal post-30, but havn't stopped altogether.    But I have noticed that unless someone is doing something noticeably different to the genre, and pushing the limits of what is considered "metal", then I'm not really interested.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 01:44:01 PM »
I've outgrown growls in most "djent" songs that I am pleased when I hear clean vocals.  Yet I am more into ambient electronic stuff now like Hybrid, stuff thats soothes my mind.

The genre I enjoy may change but my music taste may remain the same, meaning I'll still enjoy certain songs from other genres that aren't my favorite at the time. Hell I used to bash on bands I enjoy now, but it may be because I grew and am exploring all their is.