Author Topic: Elite's top 30 Spock's Beard songs - #1: I AM  (Read 20002 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Elite's top 30 Spock's Beard songs - Top 5!
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
YOU CAN CALL ME KENNEDY! YOU MAY HAVE KILLED HIM BUT YOU CANNOT KILL ME!

We all know that number one is All On A Sunday.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
I wouldn't put Flow that high, but it's very good.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
We all know that number one is All On A Sunday.

There's nothing wrong with All on a Sunday (but it's my least favourite on V), so no.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »
Can't Get It Wrong? ;)

:lol :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »
No guys, it's definitely "Moth Of Many Flames".

:neverusethis:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 30 Spock's Beard songs
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2013, 10:01:25 AM »
inb4 The Light at #1.

NOPE

Oh wait, maybe you were..

1. The Light (from The Light)

So, the time has come to finish this list as we arrive at the number one, the one that started it all and the one that will end this list. If you would ask me right now what my favourite song of all time would be, I could give you about a dozen answers, but the one that will most likely always make it is The Light, from the band's first album. The first track you'll hear when you listen to their discography in chronological order and no song the band have done after this one surpasses this one. Not one. This is where it's at, it's the band's best and it has served as a doorway into their music for many people, including me. But how in the hell can an 8-movement prog epic of 15 minutes be good? It should be disjointed, not makeing any sense whatsoever, but not this one! This one works.

The Light, to me, is the telling of a story about a man or different people, moving through various stages in life, searching for the source of everything, of all they want to know, like The Light is a God of some sorts. In I. The Dream a man gets judged before the Light. II. One Man introduces the character going through various stages in his life, III. Garden People is about those who haven't received the gift of the Light yet, which they do get in IV. Looking Straight into the Light. V. The Man in the Mountain is about a loner who doesn't care or doesn't WANT to know about the Light, whereas VI. Seņor Valasco Mystic Voodoo Love Dance tells about a person who lives in the moment or is content with that. In VII. The Return of the Horrible Catfishman we see an antagonist in the Catfishman, which also resides with the Man of the beginning and the Light fights him off, to make sure the man will stand up in the Light at the and in VIII. The Dream (Reprise).

Go ahead, have a nice day, I have no idea if that's actually what the song is trying to say and frankly, I don't really care either. This song isn't really about the lyrics for me, but the way the music is put together. This song moves through so many different styles and ideas, yet flows wonderfully, you can help but wonder where this beauty came from. It's over in a flash before your eyes, yet doesn't leave anything more to desire. I'd say this is one of the few 'perfect' songs I know of and this lies in the melodies, the instrumentation, the progression and the direction the song takes. There's something amazing about the 'One Man' part where Neal sings with the distorted vocals, blaring stuff that doesn't make sense. 'CALL ME CAVANAUGH!'. Sure, I'll call you Cavanaugh, you're the one with the caveman jaw! Yet, when that same thing return in 'The Horrible Catfishman' we see Spock's Beard at the angriest they have EVER been. 'I AM THE CATFISHMAN'. Regarding the rest of the song, this comes across as fucking heavy. Also of special notice is the Spanish guitar solo in 'Seņor Valasco' and the whole 'Man in the Mountain' movement. I think what makes this song so fucking great is that within this one song, Spock's Beard have an all-time angriest, all-time softest and all-time most-movements, yet also for me an all-time greatest songwriting. Everything is put together here brilliantly and I wouldn't have anything rearranged or altered, this song is perfect as it is.

Now really, I get that this is a long write-up without really saying anything, but at the end of the day, I know most Spock's Beard fans regard this song very highly and it's a pretty mythical song at that. It probably doesn't really need explaining why I put this at the top spot. It's my favourite Beard song, has been ever since I first heard it (I was hooked on it for weeks) and I think that all that matters. This one will stand up to the light.

---

Thanks everyone who followed this! I hope I got some people into the band as well, although I think most of the people here are Spock's Beard veterans for far longer than I have been. I had a blast making this list, hope you enjoyed it :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:50:34 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline The Letter M

Re: Elite's top 30 Spock's Beard songs - #1: I AM
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »
Great write-up! Very enjoyable! I also had a few "I see what you did there" moments with your choice-words here and there :tup

"The Light" is indeed likely one of the band's BEST songs, Top 3 Material, and if not, at LEAST Top 5. It's their pinnacle, and oddly enough, the first track on their first album. Who knew that a band could do something so bold as that?! It really speaks volumes about the debut album, and the title track, that it can be held in SUCH HIGH REGARD by many fans and also being such an old song. Debut albums don't often mean they become instant classics, especially 15 minute tracks with 8 movements. And it's because of that, and the rest of the track on the debut, that I hold their first album really high. Sure, they got better, but for a debut - it's pretty damn good.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
I also had a few "I see what you did there" moments with your choice-words here and there :tup
Yep.  ;D

Great number one and a fine writeup. Loved the list overall, man.  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
BTW - I want to do a Top 30 myself, but I will need a couple weeks to get my list together. It might coincide with the start of my SB Survivor. So if someone else wants to go first, they can!

-Marc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
I also had a few "I see what you did there" moments with your choice-words here and there :tup
Yep.  ;D

:biggrin:
Squ

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
Again, great choice and great write-up! :tup

Which songs from BNADS do you think will end up in your top 30?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
I think Something Very Strange and Waiting For Me would definitely go in. Then there's something to say for Hiding Out and Afterthoughts as well, but it's too early to tell, I'd say.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
Definitely a great write-up!  And even though I disagreed with some of your choices and omissions, at least you got number 1 right. :metal

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »
Excellent write-up buddy! Really enjoyed reading it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Elite's top 30 Spock's Beard songs
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »
inb4 The Light at #1.

I have no idea if that's actually what the song is trying to say and frankly, I don't really care either. This song isn't really about the lyrics for me

Neal Morse has been asked frequently about his Spock's Beard era lyrics and it's pretty well documented that -for the most part- he just wrote stuff that "sounded cool" and I'm alright with that.  Not every song has to be deadly serious.