Author Topic: PMU 2007 remix; why does JLB sound off-pitch?  (Read 9013 times)

Offline slycordinator

Re: PMU 2007 remix; why does JLB sound off-pitch?
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2013, 11:04:40 PM »
Well, if MOST theaters did it wrong, then what's the difference, when the average movie theater experience would have been inferior to a Blu-Ray anyway? Which means MOST people would have experienced those movies in this less-than-optimal way.
You were arguing that the blu-ray with all the tweaks they do is always an improvement over the original source. I was pointing out that in some aspects, this isn't true.

In any case, all that stuff you said has virtually nothing to do with my original point.

But clearly as you can see the Terminator remaster looks so much better than the original issue.
In some ways. In others, it's worse. I like the color better, but I can tell that some of the DNR changed the texture on faces. Though overall it's an improvement over the original blu-ray.

My point is that remixing/remastering music albums is the same thing. It can improve them and make them more enjoyable. Remastering the Terminator movie doesn't make it any less of a 1980's movie. So remastering, let's say, Images and Words wouldn't make it any less of a 1992 album, just make it sound better.
1) Remember that in music remixing and remastering are different things, although that's a minor point.
2) I agree that remixing can improve things. FFS, I said I like the remixes of that DP album better than the original mixes. But I disagree with the belief that it can only improve things and the implication that it improves things in every way.

Another example would be the covers that DT did for BCSL. Frankly, due to the quality of the recording and the mixing, I enjoy all of those covers vastly more than the originals. I like the songs for their actual compositions. I don't care if Larks' Tongues in Aspic doesn't have that 1970s sound anymore, the DT version is more crisp and clean, and I'd rather listen to that than the original King Crimson version.
I can safely say I prefer the original Stargazer to the cover. But there's no accounting for taste. ;)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2013, 11:13:27 PM »
I don't mind the remixes apart from one thing in TTT that really gets my goat... The little bass break at 5:10 (where it does that slide up to the diminished chord and the other instruments cut out) that they decided to put drums over. WHY?! The breaks and little twists and turns are what make that section so great for me, then the drums just plow over the top of it with this "my first drum beat" sounding rhythm. When I first heard that I had to play it back a few times to make sure I wasn't hearing things...

Yeah, that bothered me too. I always look forward to that bass snippet in the song.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2013, 11:18:15 PM »
You were arguing that the blu-ray with all the tweaks they do is always an improvement over the original source. I was pointing out that in some aspects, this isn't true.
Well, obviously not the original source. The original source is 4k super HD film, obviously Blu-Ray isn't better than that.
I was saying that Blu-Ray quality is better than the way people experienced those movies back in the day. And even if some people saw those movies at theaters that did it right, Blu-Ray is still better than the previous mainstream home video versions, such as VHS and DVD. So in most cases, people who experienced those movies a certain way in the 80's and 90's, will get a very different experience with Blu-Ray on an HDTV. Does that make it less of an experience, because that 'old school' feel of a VCR stream is gone?

And yes, I have met people who say they can only watch the original Nightmare On Elm Street on VHS, and don't want to see it in good quality. But I say get with the times.

I can safely say I prefer the original Stargazer to the cover. But there's no accounting for taste. ;)

That is true, but either way, at least in that department, we have a choice.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
I don't mind the remixes apart from one thing in TTT that really gets my goat... The little bass break at 5:10 (where it does that slide up to the diminished chord and the other instruments cut out) that they decided to put drums over. WHY?! The breaks and little twists and turns are what make that section so great for me, then the drums just plow over the top of it with this "my first drum beat" sounding rhythm. When I first heard that I had to play it back a few times to make sure I wasn't hearing things...

Yeah, that bothered me too. I always look forward to that bass snippet in the song.

Wow. I had forgotten what the remix sounded like, but having listened to it again just now, a drum fill drowning on the bass there was an atrocious idea.  The drum fill sounding as out of place as it does makes it even worse. 

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:37 AM »
Well, obviously not the original source. The original source is 4k super HD film, obviously Blu-Ray isn't better than that.
Btw, film isn't 4K or HD. Those are concepts of the number of pixels a digital image, projector, camera, imager, etc contain or can resolve.

I was saying that Blu-Ray quality is better than the way people experienced those movies back in the day.
See, I was reading it as when you said "Doing X technique always improves the image" as not meaning "improves it over the DVD/VHS" but that it improves over the original source. Also, you gotta remember that a lot of the improvement you get comes not from the clean-up techniques used but from the improved resolution of the scanners.

And yes, I have met people who say they can only watch the original Nightmare On Elm Street on VHS, and don't want to see it in good quality. But I say get with the times.
Considering how it's popular now to make digital pics look like they were on a polaroid (through stuff like instagram), I'm betting this kind of thing won't be going away.

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »
See, I was reading it as when you said "Doing X technique always improves the image" as not meaning "improves it over the DVD/VHS" but that it improves over the original source. Also, you gotta remember that a lot of the improvement you get comes not from the clean-up techniques used but from the improved resolution of the scanners.
Well, depending on the technique. Color correcting and things like that can improve it. But that's a matter of taste.

Considering how it's popular now to make digital pics look like they were on a polaroid (through stuff like instagram), I'm betting this kind of thing won't be going away.

That's still different. Tons of my friends use instagram, but they still ultimately prefer Blu-Ray quality over VHS.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2013, 02:41:56 PM »
Why are we even discussing VHS?  The original source of DVDs and Blu-Rays are not old VHS tapes, but the original films.  Am I missing something?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »
Why are we even discussing VHS?  The original source of DVDs and Blu-Rays are not old VHS tapes, but the original films.  Am I missing something?

No, because you are correct.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2013, 09:56:06 PM »

Yeah, but we're discussing remastering and remixing and such. So the original source of a remastered song wouldn't be the first edition of the album, it would ideally be the studio recordings.

The point of the discussion is that just because people experienced it a certain way a long time ago (whether it's Vinyl, VHS, etc.) doesn't mean that people will stop liking the product just because it looks/sounds better now, and isn't presented exactly the way those people were used to.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »
Wow. I had forgotten what the remix sounded like, but having listened to it again just now, a drum fill drowning on the bass there was an atrocious idea.  The drum fill sounding as out of place as it does makes it even worse.

I just listened to both mixes one after the other, and I had a bit of an acoustic epiphany. I first listened to the remix, and while I listened to it I thought "man, I guess I haven't listened to this album in quite a while. This is one hell of a rushed song." But when I then listened to the original mix, I didn't have that impression at all.
I think what happens is that Prater did exactly what the song, or even the whole album, needed: space. Every member of the band is sooo over-busy that if everything got equal share in the song, it would be a mess with way too much going on, making the song feel rushed. So, Prater pulled stuff out of the mix to give it space. MP + Shirley brought all that stuff back in (including waaaaay too much drums). causing it to be rushed.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »

I just listened to both mixes one after the other, and I had a bit of an acoustic epiphany. I first listened to the remix, and while I listened to it I thought "man, I guess I haven't listened to this album in quite a while. This is one hell of a rushed song." But when I then listened to the original mix, I didn't have that impression at all.
I think what happens is that Prater did exactly what the song, or even the whole album, needed: space. Every member of the band is sooo over-busy that if everything got equal share in the song, it would be a mess with way too much going on, making the song feel rushed. So, Prater pulled stuff out of the mix to give it space. MP + Shirley brought all that stuff back in (including waaaaay too much drums). causing it to be rushed.

Personally, I like to hear all the parts of a song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »

Totally agreed. 

Personally, I like to hear all the parts of a song.

Okay, but cranking every instrument to the max the whole time not only robs the song of dynamics, but it actually makes it impossible for the best parts of the song to stand out since everything ends up just mashed together at full tilt.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »

Word.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Okay, but cranking every instrument to the max the whole time not only robs the song of dynamics, but it actually makes it impossible for the best parts of the song to stand out since everything ends up just mashed together at full tilt.

While that's true in theory, and can apply to many bands, I feel like the DT remixes still had enough dynamics, and still manage to sound great in spite of the alterations.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
Well, great.

But I don't feel that way, and neither do many others (obviously).

« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »
Well, great.

Then don't listen to it.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
Well, great.

Then don't listen to it.
hef: I don't like this remix because of X, Y, Z, and W.
TGP: If you feel that way, don't listen to it.
hef: I don't listen to it, because I hated it. I only re-listened to it to see if I still felt that way for this discussion.
[/hypothetical]

I mean, seriously this kind of response is like writing to the guy who thought your favorite movie sucked and saying "Don't watch it" or seeing a bad restaurant review and saying "Don't eat there." Or if you went to the doctor, thought he did a bad job on your case, and he responded with "Don't get treated by me, then!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
The thing I wonder is, I mean, I'm presuming the band members listened to the remixes. I can't imagine JM having been a happy camper about such a prominent part featuring him being buried under such a meaningless and unnecessary drum part.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
The thing I wonder is, I mean, I'm presuming the band members listened to the remixes. I can't imagine JM having been a happy camper about such a prominent part featuring him being buried under such a meaningless and unnecessary drum part.

Rumbo, then again before ADTOE, he "was" buried in the mix and not a peep out of him.   So I'm not surprised at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »

They're not DTF, so I'm guessing they don't overreact to every little thing. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2013, 04:40:08 AM »
Well, even if they had listened to it, I doubt they got much of a vote.