Author Topic: Experience with online degrees/classes?  (Read 946 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Experience with online degrees/classes?
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »
I'm looking to finish my bachelor's degree, and after three years in college (which I hated), and with my current work situation, I know that I can't just go back to a traditional school. I have a lot of credits that should transfer already, and I would probably only be taking a couple classes at a time, because I work full-time, and I don't feel like stretching myself to the limit time or money-wise. Has anyone here ever completed an online degree? Or even a few isolated online classes? I'm curious as to what pros and cons you've encountered, and I'd like to hear about any particularly good or bad experiences. Because there are a ton of choices out there these days. I've been looking through the USNews rankings... some are absurdly expensive, but there are a few that seem quite affordable.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Experience with online degrees/classes?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »
I took a couple online courses as part of a master's I was working on a while back. They were for very basic classes though. I hardly had to do any work to pass them.

One thing I would say is to make sure your degree comes from a brick and mortar university rather than an all online school. If I was interviewing candidates for a position, I wouldn't really consider a degree from University of Phoenix or another online school to be in the same class as a "real" school.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
If I was interviewing candidates for a position, I wouldn't really consider a degree from University of Phoenix or another online school to be in the same class as a "real" school.

For the most part, this.  For profit schools are largely considered diploma mills, most employers know this fact and that these schools prey on people who just want a degree.  For-profit schools probably won't let you transfer much either since they care about making money, not providing a service.  Some schools offer legit online courses - my school for example.  However, they tend to be very limited in scope and in areas where online works well.

Your best bet is to see what the school you started with offers in terms of online and night classes, that way you don't have to worry about transferring credits.  If your major classes are done and you just need your 100 level liberal arts classes, this will probably work.  If you are missing upper level major classes, chances are you are going to have to hope they offer those classes at night or bite the bullet.

But in general, most online schools are largely scams that accredation agencies are really starting to crack down on.  Accredited brick and mortar schools degrees get taken seriously, and for the most part always will be.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
Yeah, I hate to say it, but I would only see an online degree valid as a supplementation to an existing degree. So, say you're a Bachelor in EE and decided to take a few online classes in Robotics. That's totally valid. But as your main degree, I would almost say that could rather work against you more than in your favor.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
Also, remember that if you go to a school that has "national accreditation" and later try to go to a traditional college/university that uses traditional regional accreditation, you'll find that you can't transfer those credits and if it's going for a master's/phd they may not even recognize the bachelors you obtained. This is partly because the national accreditation distance learning board isn't as strict as the regional boards, but also because the national boards are usually accrediting schools that are vocational rather than traditionally educational.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
Yeah, I hate to say it, but I would only see an online degree valid as a supplementation to an existing degree. So, say you're a Bachelor in EE and decided to take a few online classes in Robotics. That's totally valid. But as your main degree, I would almost say that could rather work against you more than in your favor.
I understand your point, but if I did it through a legitimate brick and mortar school, it doesn't seem like that would be a problem. It's the same degree from a respected university.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »
I understand your point, but if I did it through a legitimate brick and mortar school, it doesn't seem like that would be a problem. It's the same degree from a respected university.
Yes, this is true. For example, the online courses I took were through the University of Minnesota. Had I finished my degree through these online courses, I would have had a diploma from the University of Minnesota and no one would know that they were online courses unless they requested a copy of my transcript. I don't know how many of these schools offer complete degrees or high level courses online though. I took some general level courses to fulfill prerequisites.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »
Yes, this is true. For example, the online courses I took were through the University of Minnesota. Had I finished my degree through these online courses, I would have had a diploma from the University of Minnesota and no one would know that they were online courses unless they requested a copy of my transcript. I don't know how many of these schools offer complete degrees or high level courses online though. I took some general level courses to fulfill prerequisites.
I've been looking around, and there are actually quite a few that offer full programs. Some seem a little sketchy, but there are plenty of major universities as well. Penn State, for example, is one that happens to be in my general region.

Offline Cable

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
I've been looking around, and there are actually quite a few that offer full programs. Some seem a little sketchy, but there are plenty of major universities as well. Penn State, for example, is one that happens to be in my general region.

I think u got to what others mentioned. U can do online classes, just make sure they are from a traditional locale (main campus) that is non-profit. DeVry, Everest, ITT, U of Phoenix and etc are not traditional colleges. Any quick search on prospective unis will let u know what kind they are. And don't think u cannot have time for an in person class here and there; u'd be surprised how much more motivated u can be when u have a limited amount of time.

Regarding ur question about the experience, online classes from traditional unis are set up to make u work as much as in person. So if u have a four credit hour class(in person), expect to spend that much time on discussion boards online, responding to other students and/or in a chat. This is separate of reading material, papers, tests and assignments that would be in person; this stays the same whether online or in person.

IMO, the best class is a hybrid class. Meeting half time in person, half online allows for students to be more perpared and eager to ask questions in person. We have all had *that class(es)* where u can hear crickets with regard to participation.

There are plenty of traditional unis offering online options though, so u should be fine finding one Pogoowner. My grad school was on the cusp near the end of my time of launching an all online Bachelors in my field (psych/social work/sociology), which is interesting considering they are social sciences.
---