Author Topic: The Over-saturation of Djent  (Read 3523 times)

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
The Over-saturation of Djent
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »
I will preface this by saying that I listen to a lot of different types of music, mainly within the Rock genre and involving sub genres.

I wanted to talk though about (In my opinion) the over saturation of the Djent genre/style into metal. Now there are certain bands that have made there careers or started there careers as Djent bands, I think Periphery could be classified as one of these bands but then there are the bands that developed that sound into there music I'll focus on two bands in particular based on the fact that I've just listened to albums by these bands lately. weather you've listened to or even heard them is not important because I'm sure some may be able to think of other examples that you have heard or listened to. These two bands are: (and this is where my creditability goes out the window.) The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza and Attack Attack! I might catch a lot of flack for that last one but I like the whole techno element.

All that aside these two bands are good examples of what I'm talking about. I'll Start with Attack Attack!, they're a Metalcore/Electronicore band but with they're most recent album have almost dropped that Electronic element in favor of a Djent sound I mean those elements are still there but they are lessened.

It's similar with The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza they're a Extreme Metal band with Grindcore elements but as they're albums went on so did the prevalence of the Djent sound

I know that these may not be the two best examples but basically what I'm trying to say is some of these bands that have a heavy sound have adopted more of that Djent style because it does sound heavy and it's popular. And in some cases it's being overused.

Now don't get my wrong I enjoy Djent on occasions I like bands like Periphery or Born of Osiris and of course the pioneers of the sound Meshuggah but sometimes it's almost a little frustrating to turn on a new album and a lot of the time hear that style thats quickly becoming a bit too familiar even when it wasn't in that bands sound when they first started.

I hope this makes at least a little sense.  :lol

Thoughts?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: The Over-saturation of Djent
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:07:35 AM »
crabcore  :corn

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the djent style/sound so anytime there are more than one or two bands using it, I consider it over-saturated. :)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
to be honest, I have no idea what djent implies or even means.  What would be considered the perfect example of a song employing this style?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:12:49 AM »
The beginning of Raw Dog is DT doing djent. A repetitive downtuned palm muted riff style that never sounded good ever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »
A repetitive downtuned palm muted riff style that never sounded good ever.

Which you then slow down even further in the "BREAKDOWENZZ"  :metal

:censored fuck i hate it so much.

I HAZ A 8 STRING AND I IZ NOT AFRAID TO USE THAT ONE STRING EXCLUZIVLEY   :censored

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »
All I have read in this topic is ignorant hate of a genre they don't understand

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
Yeah. I love people who pretend to know everything about things they know nothing about.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »

Pretty much. There's a lot more to djent than this, and honestly some damn good progressive metal in it. More "progressive" in fact than a lot of bands that are called that have been for years. Yeah, there's a lot of bands doing knock off Meshuggah riffs all over the place, but that's like saying prog metal sucks because there's dozen of Dream Theater clones.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
The only thing I'm over saturated by is "talk about djent" (I'm still not sure whether djent is actually real genre?). Let the fans enjoy it, there's plenty of other bands for people who don't.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
What's ignorant about saying I don't like the sound of djent, as in the actual guitar sound? I listened to it, I don't like it and now I'm ignorant.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
Well your post isn't as bad as, say...

I HAZ A 8 STRING AND I IZ NOT AFRAID TO USE THAT ONE STRING EXCLUZIVLEY   :censored
Guy has probably heard like 2 songs in the genre and decided he's a total expert on it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »
What's ignorant about saying I don't like the sound of djent, as in the actual guitar sound? I listened to it, I don't like it and now I'm ignorant.

This.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »
Yeah, if you just don't like the sound of something, it's not like you have to force yourself to enjoy it. There's plenty of other music out there to focus on.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »
This isn't exactly where I wanted the conversation to go. I didn't really want a debate on the genre/style. Like I said in the OP I do enjoy it from time to time. I was talking about some bands turning more and more to that sound where it wasn't in their music before and what you guys thought about that.

I don't want hate or anything about the style, and I honestly did spend some time with my wording to make sure it sounded good and respectful.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »
This isn't exactly where I wanted the conversation to go. I didn't really want a debate on the genre/style. Like I said in the OP I do enjoy it from time to time. I was talking about some bands turning more and more to that sound where it wasn't in their music before and what you guys thought about that.

I don't want hate or anything about the style, and I honestly did spend some time with my wording to make sure it sounded good and respectful.
Not your fault. :) This happens from time to time. :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
Totally not my fault.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »
Yeah. I love people who pretend to know everything about things they know nothing about.

I have pretended nothing, not even ignorance!   :lol

There's a lot more to djent than this, and honestly some damn good progressive metal in it. More "progressive" in fact than a lot of bands that are called that have been for years.

so is there a more appropriate song I should hear that will give me the essence of "good" djent?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
Anyone who actually thinks that djent is a bunch of guys playing the same note over and over is seriously misguided.
Hath I'd check out Periphery in general. Born of Osiris put out quite the album back in 2011, The Discovery, it's well worth your time to check out. Look Right Penny is a pretty cool band as well.

Offline adace

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
Anyone who actually thinks that djent is a bunch of guys playing the same note over and over is seriously misguided.
Hath I'd check out Periphery in general. Born of Osiris put out quite the album back in 2011, The Discovery, it's well worth your time to check out. Look Right Penny is a pretty cool band as well.
Yup, BoO are pretty awesome.

In general though, there are some pretty unique djent bands that stand out from the pack (Periphery, Textures, Vildhjarta, Uneven Structure, Tesseract etc.) but for the most part it is quite an over-saturated genre. That said, I'm not sure if it's any more or less over-saturated than any other metal genre.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »
Dead For Denver, Tesseract, Tetrafusion, Destiny Potato....Those bands are pretty great.

If you really want to dwell and search for good djent bands go to Got-Djent.com it has a lot of good stuff there, some by bands, most by individuals. They have many ranges from Atmospheric to straight up Meshuggah ripoff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
Dead For Denver, Tesseract, Tetrafusion, Destiny Potato....Those bands are pretty great.

If you really want to dwell and search for good djent bands go to Got-Djent.com it has a lot of good stuff there, some by bands, most by individuals. They have many ranges from Atmospheric to straight up Meshuggah ripoff.
Destiny Potato?  Seriously?

Worst. Band name. Ever.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »

Destiny Potato?  Seriously?

Worst. Band name. Ever.

Serious.....they have David Maxim Micmic who posted his own stuff on gotdjent.

Female vocals that fit the sound.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 05:24:52 AM »

Guy has probably heard like 2 songs in the genre and decided he's a total expert on it.

Poor butthurt baby.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »

Because this isn't what Djent is, AT ALL.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Yeah, djent is a shitty guitar tone. Get it right.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pskj9sbffg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnaClnVnj_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy2MLw_JMJk
Don't worry mods, it's official links.
Totally just guys chugging a note along to a shitty guitar tone and breaking down.
Totally. Yep.
Look if you don't like Djent, whatever, that's fine as it's your opinion, and you're entitled to have it. But don't knock on it as if you know what it is when you clearly don't.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Totally just guys chugging a note along to a shitty guitar tone and breaking down.
Totally. Yep.
Look if you don't like Djent, whatever, that's fine as it's your opinion, and you're entitled to have it. But don't knock on it as if you know what it is when you clearly don't.
Vildhjarta kicks ass, man \m/

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
Totally. Yep.

While those three bands were certainly a little different than the ones I heard in a "top 10 djent bands" youtube video, they were still the basic, DJENT DJENTDJENTDJENT DJENT DJENT DJENT DJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENT DJENT DJENT DJENT DJENT DJENT. And while watching the Born of Osiris video, it accured to me; you know how everyone shits on Disturbed for their generic riffs? BoO, and pretty much all djent bands are just doing sped up Disturbed riffs. I loved the beginning of that BoO song, but the rest of it didn't match at all.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »
That style of the "djent" movement I used to enjoy but I agree that its becoming too much of the same thing. I prefer when they use it with electronics. Plus, Female vocals fit the style way way WAY better.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

Poor butthurt baby.