Author Topic: Do I want a compressor pedal?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Do I want a compressor pedal?
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »
I'm looking to update my tone some - I'd like to add a few things or change a few things.  Primarily, I've never owned a compressor pedal.  I get the general idea behind how they work.  Add sustain, even out pick attack and volume, etc.  I gather that it gives your cleans a nice sparkle, but it always seems to be one of those things where some people love them, some people are like "meh".  Can anybody give me their thoughts on the idea?  I have two bands, one that plays heavier 80's and 90's metal, with very few instances of a clean channel, and one that plays more classic rock, with a number of instances of clean channel usage.  Just not sure if it's the kind of thing that will dramatically improve my tone enough to bother with.  I'll go to Guitar Center and play around with it and see how it feels, but thought I'd at least ask you all for some input as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:16:31 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Do I want a compressor pedal?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:17 AM »
I don't do much live playing these days, but when I did play live back in the day I used a compressor to achieve more sustain and to smooth out my tone.  If you listen to the lead guitar in that link that's been pretty heavily compressed, it gives it that sort of glassy sound.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:17:38 AM »
It won't allow me to view it, as the video is marked as private.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
oops, try it again

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:47:35 AM »
Pretty cool.  I see what you mean (you were playing the lower harmony, I take it).  I think it's probably worth it.  If NOTHING else, it could very possibly help me get those sparkly clean tones I've always been in search of, though clearly a much better amp would help with that as well.  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:50:01 AM »
Pretty cool.  I see what you mean (you were playing the lower harmony, I take it).  I think it's probably worth it.  If NOTHING else, it could very possibly help me get those sparkly clean tones I've always been in search of, though clearly a much better amp would help with that as well.  :lol

Yep, I was playing the low harmony, and the compressor does wonders for situations like that.   It's also great for increasing sustain without having to turn up the gain too much.