Author Topic: Shadow Gallery Thread - v. Digital Ghosts  (Read 24791 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Shadow Gallery Thread - v. Digital Ghosts
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »
Manage to catch the last 20 mins or so. Great tribute. I’ll watch it completely tomorrow.

Did the band give anu update on new music?

No, and intentionally not. There IS work in progress and something will happen... eventually. But they don't want to make any announcements or promises until something is solid and DONE.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2018, 01:29:13 AM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2018, 07:54:45 AM »
Manage to catch the last 20 mins or so. Great tribute. I’ll watch it completely tomorrow.

Did the band give anu update on new music?

No, and intentionally not. There IS work in progress and something will happen... eventually. But they don't want to make any announcements or promises until something is solid and DONE.

Thanks Nick for the response.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2018, 04:15:35 PM »
I would go for new Shadow Gallery music, under 1 condition, hire a new singer that doesn't sound exactly Geoff Tate.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:25:43 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2018, 07:16:35 PM »
You didn't like Brian Ashland?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »
The Digital Ghosts album has aged well for me.  I thought it was pretty solid start to finish and I go back to it just as often as some other albums.  The songs "Digital Ghost" and "Haunted" are both SG classics for me.

That said, it still doesn't really feel completely like a Shadow Gallery album to me.  Mike Baker had such a distinctive voice.  I don't mind Brian Ashland... His voice is just SO different from Mike's.  I feel almost like Brian was tacked onto the last album (not sure if it's b/c of the guest singers or what), I think another album with him might be way better.

And that said, anything they release will be an automatic buy and I'm confident they wouldn't let me down.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2018, 04:03:39 AM »
I love Digital Ghosts, probably my third favourite of theirs. Mike was a unique singer, but the other guy does a great job as well and I hope to hear more of this band in the future for sure.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2018, 01:19:32 PM »
Been getting in to this band lately. Found the first two albums highly enjoyable. Not sure how I missed out on these guys.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2018, 01:21:23 PM »
I don't know much about Shadow Gallery, although I heard they had a singer that was really similar to Geoff Tate in his prime. Who is that singer, and what album(s) does he appear on?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »
Been getting in to this band lately. Found the first two albums highly enjoyable. Not sure how I missed out on these guys.

Keep going. Albums 3-5 are their crowning achievements.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2018, 01:27:05 PM »
I don't know much about Shadow Gallery, although I heard they had a singer that was really similar to Geoff Tate in his prime. Who is that singer, and what album(s) does he appear on?

Brian Ashland (I believe) and the album is Digital Ghosts. Digital Ghosts has several vocalists including DC Copper from Royal Hunt and Ralph something from Primal Fear. So there are a few songs with them and a few with Brian.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2018, 01:39:32 PM »
Thank you!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2018, 03:55:50 PM »

Brian Ashland (I believe) and the album is Digital Ghosts. Digital Ghosts has several vocalists including DC Copper from Royal Hunt and Ralph something from Primal Fear. So there are a few songs with them and a few with Brian.

A little bit of a correction here, the standard US edition has only Shadow Gallery's vocalists, primarily Brian Ashland and Ralf Scheepers. The Japanese edition has a bonus track with D.C. Cooper.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »
Revisiting the band's discography. Starting with the S/T. I disregarded this one because of the subpar production but I'm liking it more and more as I get into it.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2021, 10:12:27 AM »
actually, that's my favorite despite the production and drum machine, lol.

Online nick_z

« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2021, 11:31:09 AM »
I'll go with Carved in Stone as my favorite...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2021, 11:41:37 AM »
Carved in Stone is the one I heard first, and the one I usually go back to, so I guess that makes it my favorite as well.  But most of their stuff is pretty good.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2021, 01:19:16 PM »
Carved in Stone was also the one I heard first and I didn't go back for another of their albums after that for a LONG time.  I still don't have a whole lotta love for Carved In Stone and I never listen to the debut, but I enjoy the rest of the catalog quite a bit.   

Offline emtee

« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »
I only own Digital Ghosts and I never bought anything else because the sonics and production were so inferior. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2021, 05:43:52 PM »
Revisiting the band's discography. Starting with the S/T. I disregarded this one because of the subpar production but I'm liking it more and more as I get into it.
It's a great album, I always wished they would re-record it, but it wouldn't be the same without Mike Baker.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2021, 07:34:33 PM »
Shadow Gallery is one of my favorite bands.  Shame they haven't released anything in forever.  I didn't discover them until maybe 2007 so I've only had the "new album coming out" experience once.  Fun fact, the album (Digital Ghosts) came out the same day as Transatlantic's The Whirlwind - a phenomenon of that magnitude (albums by two of my favorite bands on same day) will likely never happen again.

Tyranny and Room V are hands down my favorite albums of theirs.  Legacy is also great but when I revisit that it's mostly for First Light which is amazing.  I've tried many times but never got into the S/T album.  Carved in Stone is hit and miss for me, some great songs and some songs I never listen to.  I thought Digital Ghosts was great (basically all the songs).

Top 5 SG songs for me:  First Light, Rain, Digital Ghost, Ghost of a Chance, The Andromeda Strain (hard to choose just 5...)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2021, 08:31:26 PM »
I first discovered them when I got an in store promo for Tyranny. I played it in store CONSTANTLY.

I tracked down Carved in Stone, but the S/T was tougher to get ahold of back then. I did finally order it later after Legacy came out.

Legacy was always a bit hit and miss for me, although I thought Cliffhanger 2 was better than the original. I LOVE CiS. I need to pull that one out again…but ya, Tyranny is still the best.  Room V is excellent, and I remember spinning DG a lot when it first came out, but haven’t pulled it out in forever.

I think I’m overdue for an SG binge.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2021, 08:11:43 AM »
They are a very consistently good band, but I always thought there was something a little 'off' on their production, and with Mike's voice (the latter is just a personal tastes thing). 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Pettor

« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2021, 02:34:42 AM »
What a special band this was. Been years since I listened to Tyranny and Room V now but took the full run by playing them in order and both albums are masterpieces.

However on Digital Ghosts there's this bonus track called Two Shadows. I think it's an unused song from Tyranny since it basically has the Ghost of a Chance melody etc. Anyway it's such a beautiful song for anyone who haven't heard it. Honestly it crushes my heart a bit since it somehow feels like a goodbye to Baker. Not sure why but that's the feelings attached to it. Anyway here's the beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZtMOqpH2vU

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #199 on: August 25, 2021, 04:59:53 AM »
According to the description, it's a reworked bonus song from Room V.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2022, 06:05:48 PM »
Sorry, no news on new album.  But Shadow Gallery has started a new podcast (2 episodes released thus far).  So far they've talked about the history/formation of the band, and the writing and recording of the debut album.  Next episode I think will be on Carved In Stone.  And I imagine the series will continue until they've talked about all their albums.  Good stuff so far.  One hint at new music was Gary made it sound like a strong possibility that in 2022 we'd see a re-recording of one song from the debut.  No mention of a new album yet.

Below is from Facebook.  The podcast is called Shadow Gallery: The Untold Stories.

Listen now to the first episode of Shadow Gallery: The Untold Stories,  hosted by Gary Wehrkamp and Jill Hughes.  The first guests on the podcast are original founding members Brendt Allman and Carl Cadden-James.
If you have questions for the band, please send them to shadowgallerypodcast@gmail.com
We’ll be posting some photos & band memorabilia from the early days soon! 
RSS feed to subscribe: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1985719.rss
Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/.../shadow-gallery-the-untold...
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/65vWm5EoWs1lMElPnOX8rk...
Stitcher: https://listen.stitcher.com/yvap/?af_dp=stitcher://show/714724&af_web_dp=https://www.stitcher.com/show/714724
Buzzsprout:  https://www.buzzsprout.com/.../10904885-progressive-metal...
(Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and iHeart Radio coming soon!)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2022, 07:01:14 PM »
I’d actually be shocked if there was ever a new SG album. It was a wonderful run while it lasted. In fact, they probably accomplished more in the way of influence and popularity than any “strictly studio” band that I can think of. It’s actually pretty impressive what they DID accomplish considering they only played a small handful of live shows (and very late into their career at that. I don’t even think those shows happened before Baker died, did they?)

The only thing they could do now is maybe release an official live recording of one of those shows and call it a day.

As far as the podcast goes, I saw they had started that and I was really excited to check it out. I’ve just been super busy.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2022, 11:46:05 PM »
what song from the debut did they re-record?

although what I really want is to take the masters from the debut, and have Joe Nevolo record real drums over them.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2022, 01:19:06 AM »
I’d actually be shocked if there was ever a new SG album. It was a wonderful run while it lasted. In fact, they probably accomplished more in the way of influence and popularity than any “strictly studio” band that I can think of. It’s actually pretty impressive what they DID accomplish considering they only played a small handful of live shows (and very late into their career at that. I don’t even think those shows happened before Baker died, did they?)

Nope, they didn't. And I am very happy I saw them both times they came over here.

And yeah, I get a feeling too that Shadow Gallery is "done". Not officially done, but "Savatage-done", when you know the guys are still out there and sometimes you get news but you just don't hold your breath for an album or tour that might as well never come.

I also agree about them being outstanding even with the handicap of never playing live. They really deserved more, and Mike's loss was huge and very sad and robbed us of a great talent.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2022, 05:25:35 AM »
what song from the debut did they re-record?

although what I really want is to take the masters from the debut, and have Joe Nevolo record real drums over them.

They didn't say which song they would re-record.  It was brought up when they answered a question on if they'd ever re-record the debut album (or mix, or do anything with).  Which the answer to that is "no" (other than doing one song).

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2022, 01:01:06 PM »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2022, 01:42:59 PM »
Carved in Stone re-release including Vinyl

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGSYBJN1?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_QKGHGYEM7CPHZGPKS69E

Funny enough, just listening to that now on Spotify. I just pre-ordered the re-release. Thanks.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2022, 01:45:20 AM »
That's nice, I'm probably gonna get it at some point. I still remember hearing it for the first time at my best friend's place on his cassette player and being absolutely floored by some of the solos - Cliffhanger's solo intro before the vocals is so cool and the one starting shortly after the 7th minute mark. It must have been 2000 or 2001.

We were both laughing at how impossible and cool it sounded and how it developed. Sprinkled in with some catchy melodies all throughout the songs and by the end when we heard Ghosthip we were just speechless.