Author Topic: Awake is still better than every other Dream Theater record  (Read 42877 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Awake is still better than every other Dream Theater record
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »
Lyrics don't really make or break a song depending on the quality of music. 
Sure they can. :)

Nah, only if you let it.  Songs can still be good with subpar lyrics.  ;)
They can't be great with shitty lyrics.  And good songs can become great with great lyrics.

Besides, "only if you let it" can be used for anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »
"That's like when you see that product, I Can't Believe it's not Butter.  You can say that about a lawn chair. 

"I can't believe it's not butter." I think someone called it that to avoid a lawsuit." --Richard Jeni.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »
They can't be great with shitty lyrics.

The Ministry of Lost Souls and The Count of Tuscany are both great songs.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »

No they aren't, although TCOT could have been, and I don't think that TMOLS has shitty lyrics, anyway.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »
Lyrics don't really make or break a song depending on the quality of music. 
Sure they can. :)

Nah, only if you let it.  Songs can still be good with subpar lyrics.  ;)
They can't be great with shitty lyrics.  And good songs can become great with great lyrics.

True, but I never said a song could be great with shitty lyrics.  I said a song can still be good with subpar lyrics.  That's two different things.

Besides, "only if you let it" can be used for anything.

Well, that's arguable depending on what you're talking about but really not worth discussing.  I was refering more to a state of mind about something that's entirely subjective anyway.  If it works, use it.  If it doesn't then don't.  Entirely up to you.

"That's like when you see that product, I Can't Believe it's not Butter.  You can say that about a lawn chair. 

Only if someone was stupid enough to think a lawn chair tastes like butter and then can't believe it isn't. :lol   Otherwise, why would anybody say that?  Not a good analogy.

Thanks for the amusing comments guys but this is getting a little off topic.  I was talking about lyrics vs music, not shit, butter or lawn chairs.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »
Contrary to most, I never found Space Dye Vest to be out of place in the Awake album, at all. A more than fitting, oblique, conclusion.
Agreed.  I'll never understand the criticisms. One of the better songs on the album. This seems to be the only place that gives it hate too it seems. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
Wow.  Just noticed that Awake has 4 songs in my DT bottom 20. 

But still, that being said...
Awake is such an incredibly amazing album
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »

I agree with you on this.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Cable

« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »
I dislike the production/mix on the album. The tones are good on each instrument, but there is a sterile feeling to the album that I have always disliked.

---

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: March 19, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »
Dublagent66, you are missing the punchline when Richard Jeni said, " I think someone called it that to avoid a lawsuit."  Not an analogy at all.  I just thought it was a funny line. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline silentman81

« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
Awake was the first DT cd I purchased when it came out.  They were recommended to me and this album holds a special place with me and always will for that fact.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
Just wanted to say that this thread has encouraged me to go back and listen to Awake more, it's definitely an awesome album  :metal  Still wouldn't say it's my favorite, but it would probably be #4 in my DT album rankings, right behind I&W, SFAM and SDOIT.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
Well, it was a good thread, then :)

I think it's my #2, or #3 when ADTOE is on a really good day. Usually #2, though!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
Actually, I think Awake is the deepest and most profound album DT has ever done.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2013, 05:55:08 AM »
For me the answer is a yes, BUT...

"Awake" is the first DT album that I listened, so it will always be a bit special to me.
But I love "6 degrees...", "ToT" or "I&W" the same way!! :metal
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline kjg308429

« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
Yeah, I prefer SDOIT too. Whenever I talk to a new DT fan and when I mention that fact to them, they get awfully confused, and then they re-listen to SDOIT and go "holy fuck Milena you are 100% right about this album."
Well, okay, that happened only three times but that's enough to make a case! :hat

I agree with you. SDOIT, especially CD2, is the most awesome album in dT's albums. I can't forget the first time I listend it. Its play time shocked me, but what shocked me most was that it was not bored, and didn't make me lose concentration despite of its greatly long long playtime. If someone asks me to recomand just one song of DT, I will recommand SDOIT without hesitation.

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »
Images & Words and Scenes From A Memory are better than Awake.

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
To summarize my feelings succinctly: Awake is fucking amazing. It's an album that has only improved with repeated listens through the years.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2013, 07:54:38 AM »
I dislike the production/mix on the album. The tones are good on each instrument, but there is a sterile feeling to the album that I have always disliked.
This, too. The word 'sterile' fits very well with my opinion on Awake.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
To summarize my feelings succinctly: Awake is fucking amazing. It's an album that has only improved with repeated listens through the years.
I've actually had the opposite reaction to Awake. I still think it's a great album, but it hasn't held up as well as most other DT albums for me over the years.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2013, 10:13:43 AM »
This, too. The word 'sterile' fits very well with my opinion on Awake.

Interesting... that's actually my complaint about most of ADToE. I find Awake to be raw, emotional, exciting... anything but sterile really.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
Yup, Awake is sterile.

So is ADTOE.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »
The only time Awake is sterile is when I'm not hearing it.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
The only complaint I can think of is that it's too long. After I&W clocking in at just under one hour, I feel they went overboard with 75 minutes and it hurts the flow. In hindsight, I wish they'd done something like this:

Awake:

6:00
Caught In A Web
Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
The Mirror
Lie
Space-Dye Vest

This way you get three distinct sections (3 standalone songs, AMBI and the three songs with the darkest feel). As for the rest of the tracks, a mini-EP would've solved that.

Scarred EP:

Scarred
To Live Forever
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
Eve

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
Yup, Awake is sterile.

So is ADTOE.

Thanks man, glad you cleared that up for me.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
The only complaint I can think of is that it's too long. After I&W clocking in at just under one hour, I feel they went overboard with 75 minutes and it hurts the flow. In hindsight, I wish they'd done something like this:

Awake:

6:00
Caught In A Web
Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
The Mirror
Lie
Space-Dye Vest

This way you get three distinct sections (3 standalone songs, AMBI and the three songs with the darkest feel). As for the rest of the tracks, a mini-EP would've solved that.

Scarred EP:

Scarred
To Live Forever
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
Eve

You realize every album after Awake is roughly the same length right? Barring SDOIT which is 96 minutes.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #236 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
You realize every album after Awake is roughly the same length right? Barring SDOIT which is 96 minutes.

Oh absolutely, but I'd say Awake and Falling Into Infinity, to me, are the only albums that suffer from their length. Scenes feels like a whole, SDOIT's length feels balanced because of it having two discs, ToT and 8VM feel like they're albums with an idea behind them (no matter if one likes what the idea was). I won't comment on the albums after that but I'll just say that Awake has the potential to be a shorter album with a better flow. Maybe I phrased it poorly by referring to just the length.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »

Oh absolutely, but I'd say Awake and Falling Into Infinity, to me, are the only albums that suffer from their length. Scenes feels like a whole, SDOIT's length feels balanced because of it having two discs, ToT and 8VM feel like they're albums with an idea behind them (no matter if one likes what the idea was). I won't comment on the albums after that but I'll just say that Awake has the potential to be a shorter album with a better flow. Maybe I phrased it poorly by referring to just the length.

Oh okay, I see what you mean. It does seem like they wrote an Images-ish album, which I find is more song-oriented than album-oriented, but much longer. Same with FII. Everything since Scenes works better as an album than any album before it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »
Awake just has a certain charm, it sounds very different from all their other albums, the vocals are quite off key sometimes BUT full of life and passion etc.

I listened to the album today, and after that to post-SFAM DT songs and what's really obvious is how much more professional JLB has become in his approach to recording vocals. And as a vocalist for that matter. He might not get the highest notes anymore, but his singing has become more refined and tasteful in my opinion. That said, Awake still has an utterly impressive vocal performance.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
Awake just has a certain charm, it sounds very different from all their other albums, the vocals are quite off key sometimes BUT full of life and passion etc.

I'm by far not the biggest fan of Awake, but I'll be the first person to defend its vocals. And even though you're praising them, I don't understand how they're off key. Never listening to Awake, have I said, "He just hit the wrong note!"
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
I'm the last person to defend Awake, and I can't fault Awake's vocals. It's easily one of JLB's best albums vocally, if not the best.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »
I listened to Awake again today and frankly - after the first three songs it gets quite boring imo.

Images And Words ftw.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
Images & Words and Scenes From A Memory are better than Awake.

:tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
For me, a sign of a great album is one that is strong today as it was when I played the crap out if it when it came out.

Awake is not one of those for me.  I do like it, but I gravitate towards other albums in their collection.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
Awake is a strange album with me, where as I love it, but have to be in the right mood for it.

And If I haven't listened to it in a while it takes at least 2 listens to get back into it if that makes any sense. Still a top 3 album for me though.